• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

NoFluxes

Smash Rookie
I took a friendly off drephen once. He's free as ****

lol jk he's really good. Kage 3-0d him at big house 5 tho
Hah I was hoping to meet you here, I'm staying in Columbus right now, if you ever come to one of our weeklies we gotta talk about this match-up. Could possibly make a Cinncinati tourney eventually otherwise. I just moved to Ohio like a couple weeks ago.

Drephen is a problem for me, I just can't afford to get grabbed at all.

tm

Smash Ace
Hah I was hoping to meet you here, I'm staying in Columbus right now, if you ever come to one of our weeklies we gotta talk about this match-up. Could possibly make a Cinncinati tourney eventually otherwise. I just moved to Ohio like a couple weeks ago.

Drephen is a problem for me, I just can't afford to get grabbed at all.
oh nice. generally I don't go to cbus except for Shuffle which has died out I guess, it's a 2.5 hr drive and from what I gather there aren't many notable events / MI locals have more people.

Big house tho

Duel

Smash Apprentice
Got 2nd at my weekly, lost from winner's side in 10 games with our top player a puff named Crip. So frustrating 2 be up 2-0 in the set and still blow it after having so many last hit to win it scenarios. Mental game is everything in smash =(

tm

Smash Ace
Got 2nd at my weekly, lost from winner's side in 10 games with our top player a puff named Crip. So frustrating 2 be up 2-0 in the set and still blow it after having so many last hit to win it scenarios. Mental game is everything in smash =(
Oh god 10 games against crip x_x

Duel

Smash Apprentice
Oh god 10 games against crip x_x
Dude I had him so many times, my dumbass tried to down b to finish 2 games in a row last stock and got rested, he just kept coming back on me. He knows the matchup so well also. Funny how both of our weeklies ended with ganon and puff, I just watched your set with Ian for tips.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Down-B vs Puff should only be used once an entire best of 5 set tbh. It's too risky! You have to condition him to roll a certain way or maybe catch him wavedashing at the wrong moment. You can't be the one using the panic button.

Last edited:

Duel

Smash Apprentice
Down-B vs Puff should only be used once an entire best of 5 set tbh. It's too risky! You have to condition him to roll a certain way or maybe catch him wavedashing at the wrong moment. You can't be the one using the panic button.
Thanks for the tip, you and Linguini are great because you have a couple of the best mindsets in the game! Mindset is everything.

bestpwnage

Smash Rookie
Hello hello, friends. I'm bestpwnage (username made in middle school and it stuck) and pretty much just want to main ganon. I'm pretty much completely new to playing melee as of September of 2016, but have watched plenty of it. I was referred here by Eikelmann. He saw a tiny bit of my ganon and heard I wanted to main him, but decided on maining Falco despite having the most fun with Ganon. So he told me to come here to learn many a thing. I should also mention that I have never been active in the melee community (or really any community for that matter), so if I do or say something that's just really dumb, let me know so I can try to not do that again. ;)

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Hello hello, friends. I'm bestpwnage (username made in middle school and it stuck) and pretty much just want to main ganon. I'm pretty much completely new to playing melee as of September of 2016, but have watched plenty of it. I was referred here by Eikelmann. He saw a tiny bit of my ganon and heard I wanted to main him, but decided on maining Falco despite having the most fun with Ganon. So he told me to come here to learn many a thing. I should also mention that I have never been active in the melee community (or really any community for that matter), so if I do or say something that's just really dumb, let me know so I can try to not do that again. ;)
Start here

https://smashboards.com/threads/the...ondorf-boards-updated-as-of-9-10-2016.437565/

ForTheLulz

Smash Apprentice
you've got to live up to the name "best pwnage" my friend

Divinokage

Smash Legend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwD1MKcweG0 This Puff is getting really good, he beat Ryan Ford at this weekly as well. I figured Ganons need a lot of Puff footage as the matchup is hated a lot. I also played Legend i dont know how many times now but he definitely studied me a **** ton too. One of the main things you never want to do vs a good Puff is burning your double jump off stage while he has the ledge or when you can't reach the ledge with it. It's auto KO if you are in that position.

Last edited:

tm

Smash Ace
Sup ganons. REALLY good video on improvement made by a Chicago local and I suggest EVERYBODY give this one a watch. Doesn't matter if you're a newbie or a veteran.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlncNMpumQs&feature=youtu.be
pls no troll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwD1MKcweG0 This Puff is getting really good, he beat Ryan Ford at this weekly as well. I figured Ganons need a lot of Puff footage as the matchup is hated a lot. I also played Legend i dont know how many times now but he definitely studied me a **** ton too. One of the main things you never want to do vs a good Puff is burning your double jump off stage while he has the ledge or when you can't reach the ledge with it. It's auto KO if you are in that position.
Yes! Thanks for the footage Kage.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Well I just trolled Tipman too hard for my own good. Acted like I was a guy from "coastal electric" about to offer him a great deal on a better electric bill, and he actually bought it LOL.

@Thomas Tipman
Text me 910 233 6102

TAKE MY NUMBER OFF YOUR BAN LIST

BEFORE I BAN YOUR ASS

Last edited:

Duel

Smash Apprentice
Anyone going to the Big House? Please hit me up for mm's/friendlies/whatever.

Waldoring

Smash Cadet
It's been 2 days now and I still don't understand the last weekly I went to.

Double elim'd by sheik, struck to bf both times. Lost both game 1's, yolo'd to FD, won on FD, then lost somewhere else.

Please explain this to me.

tm

Smash Ace
It's been 2 days now and I still don't understand the last weekly I went to.

Double elim'd by sheik, struck to bf both times. Lost both game 1's, yolo'd to FD, won on FD, then lost somewhere else.

Please explain this to me.
You played relatively better during the FD games

boom

EDIT: I think FD isn't bad vs sheik. I think BF and DL are her best vs ganon.

Last edited:

Waldoring

Smash Cadet
I was under the impression that FD/FoD were far worse than the other stages; what should I be striking to/counterpicking?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Ganon's punish game is really straightforward on FD when you have chaingrabbing and edgeguarding down. Personally I'd say go with the stages you feel most comfortable on

Duel

Smash Apprentice
Ganon's punish game is really straightforward on FD when you have chaingrabbing and edgeguarding down. Personally I'd say go with the stages you feel most comfortable on
This is how I feel about puff! I never know what to ban.

Oldiz

Smash Apprentice
Hey, just had a thought about offstage punishes vs fastfallers. Since fair is such a strong and reactable move it would almost always be DIed inwards, but at what %'s can it actually combo to another fair/uair? Seems a pretty safe bet that they will DI in, and its basically guaranteed death if you hit two.

Also: https://clips.twitch.tv/dynemcentery/GiftedDuckBabyRage

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
This is how I feel about puff! I never know what to ban.
I've never minded puff on FD. Yes plats are good for Ganon but he's straight combo food because of them sometimes. Puff is the ultimate test of your neutral game so again, the stages you feel must most comfortable on are often best.

ForTheLulz

Smash Apprentice
Hey, just had a thought about offstage punishes vs fastfallers. Since fair is such a strong and reactable move it would almost always be DIed inwards, but at what %'s can it actually combo to another fair/uair? Seems a pretty safe bet that they will DI in, and its basically guaranteed death if you hit two.

PAL Ganon fair is a bit weaker than NTSC. Perhaps that had something to do with the combo? I can't envision this working in NTSC unless you're talking about very specific percents and DI angles

then again in my experience everyone just DI's my fair out because I clip their dash back or something

sick combo though

Last edited:

Divinokage

Smash Legend

They die after the first fair in NTSC rofl.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
I've been thinking about picking up ganon as a pocket, just for use against certain players at my local. I just had a couple questions about how I should play.

1.) Should I learn how to chaingrab? I've tried it before, and I can do it on characters like sheik but should I learn it against foxes?
2.) I've always assumed that yoshi's is the best stage for ganon because he can ko pretty early. Also, the platforms are positioned pretty well for movement, I've found. Is anything I just said textbook or is that just me?
3.) Is there any stage that I should outright ban no matter what? I always thought fd was bad for ganon, but if I learn to cg I could probably be pretty good there.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
1. chaingrabbing is mandatory nowadays for doing exceptionally well. Anyone can be beaten without it, but it's still good. Don't even try practicing chaingrabbing fox/Falco until you can at least do sheik. Ganon can cg a ton of characters and it's an excellent asset to your arsenal.

2. Yoshi's and Battlefield.

3. FoD and FD are generally kinda bad (next is stadium I'd say) but specifics matter most. If you're playing someone that's scared of you and camping top platform, even if it's Fox FD can be a good choice. If you think your neutral is better than someone's, don't hesitate to take them to FD/DL64 where you have plenty of room to space attacks. If you're better with micro-situations, close combat, and punish game, take them to a small stage to force interaction and get them offstage sooner. Just think if you'd rather fight them on a football field or in a phone booth lol

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I'm picking up puff because I'm too lazy for falco. A week of training and I'm already better with her against Sheik than my Ganon or any of my other characters lol. Honestly, a lot of fundamentals from Ganon carry over to her. If you can forgive yourself for laming a Sheik out, it works really well

Last edited:

Swagic

Smash Journeyman
I'm picking up puff because I'm too lazy for falco. A week of training and I'm already better with her against Sheik than my Ganon or any of my other characters lol. Honestly, a lot of fundamentals from Ganon carry over to her. If you can forgive yourself for laming a Sheik out, it works really well
I consider it revenge.

tm

Smash Ace
Don't play ganon because you're better with him than with other characters lol. Anyone putting in actual work should be able to improve faster with other chars. Unless ganon just randomly makes sense to you and other characters don't [which doesn't make sense to me]

P.S. -ACE- -ACE- why am I getting trolled by your brother lol

Top Bottom