• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Whiffed grab
Whiffed jab
Aerial landing lag
Up-b landing lag
Whiffed down-b
Whiffed side-b
Roll punished with rest
Techroll/tech in place punished with rest
ANY whiffed ground move
AND you can randomly hit the tech on a platform and possibly have a chance of living at super low%

Come on, the opposition here is almost arguing against itself. If you'll die anyway, just try it. You have NOTHING to lose. Good God, I was just trying to help. At least tidal wave gets it. Simple **** can be really difficult for people nowadays.
Yo dude I wasn't saying that I wouldn't try it. I feel like no one is really saying that. I think the main concern is how situational this is in the matchup. Skepticism isn't the same as negativity.

Whiffed jabs, grounded moves, and grabs I don't experience or see getting rested too often. And I say this from experience against dudutsai in this matchup--a player that got top 64 at evo, beat porkchops recently, and has wins over multiple Ganons on this board. I'm not sure why they don't get punished more--perhaps it has something to do with the range on both those moves. It's also likely because Puff players are afraid of getting utilted for missing, making the risk-reward unfavorable for them.

Up-b landing lag I already brought up and agreed could be useful. But as I said, puffs tend to avoid rest punish from my experience just because edgeguarding Ganon is so easy.

Whiffed down-b and side-b just gave me a pretty cool idea, though. You could start going for yolo down-bs and side-bs. if they hit, great. If they miss, hopefully you get rested and then turn it around with the amsah tech.

Roll punishes would be hard because of how long Ganon's roll is. Again, Puffs don't like going for risky things like that because of how hard they will get punishes if they miss. So I don't really think you're gonna see that happen too often. Same with techrolll/tech in place. Maybe missed tech because Puff can react to it. But I'm not sure if it's possible to amsah tech because of how you bounce.

Anyway, I wonder whether trying to coax Puff into resting you on the ground more than once with side-bs and down-bs just to get this punish would be worth it. It would probably work at least once. But how many times would it take before the Puff catches on?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
This rest tech talk has sparked my interest. So basically most people think it isn't worth going for? I can see getting rested at a percent you are sure to survive at not worth going for it but why not when you'd die anyways? Am I missing something? I don't know, maybe I'm just not getting it but even situational tech is worth learning, don't make it a main focus of practice but knowing about it and knowing you can do it 1/10 times always helps IMO. Being a low tier you gotta take all you can get even if it isn't super important it still can be important at least once.
I agree that if you're going to die anyway you should try to tech because there's nothing to lose; especially since you want to die to the rest ASAP if you do. I just don't think it's very fruitful way to spend your practice time trying to get better at the tech. To me it's almost equivalent to trying to amsah tech fox fsmash at ledge and then on the follow up dsmash SDI off stage + second SDI back to wall tech jump and punish the dsmash end lag. (Yes, I've done that once on accident at 120% with Marth. Did dj -> dair -> into fsmash out of the wall tech, it was glorious lol. I also do believe the difficulty is comparable, especially where the amsah tech barely works.)

Anyway if some of you want to get good at the tech, you should figure out the exact y-displacement of the aerial ECB or alternatively the perfect angle you need to SDI into, unfortunately I can't help you there. One thing I didn't mention yet is you need to be more precise with the SDI the more % you have. For example, at 0% your y-position can be about as much as 0.95 units (Full SDI is 6.0 units for reference) above ground after the SDI. From there it gets linearly worse until at 29% you have to get basically perfect SDI input.

Whiffed down-b and side-b just gave me a pretty cool idea, though. You could start going for yolo down-bs and side-bs. if they hit, great. If they miss, hopefully you get rested and then turn it around with the amsah tech.

Maybe missed tech because Puff can react to it. But I'm not sure if it's possible to amsah tech because of how you bounce.
Taking more risks because you can attempt very inconsistent tech that gets you killed if you miss sounds like a bad idea to me.

From missed tech it's not any easier/harder to tech. During the missed tech animations, your position is grounded (topN is on ground level), and since the rest is high dmg and doesn't reset, it works the same way as if you were standing.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
If I can live off survival DI, I'm going to survival DI. That's a small percentage range. Everything higher than that, I'll try to tech because I have nothing to lose. I have never practiced this tech, nor have I studied frame data. I just go for it and it works sometimes. I don't know what else to say.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
T tauKhan
Let's assume the tech could be done consistently. Would that change your views on the strategy I proposed?
I'd guess so. With jiggs/DK/Kirby who can amsah tech the rest normally it might actually be good. Missing rest -> amsah tech + rest like in the Magus video seems sick. Since missing the tech means death, I'd probably want to be at least 70-80% consistent to consider it.

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I'd guess so. With jiggs/DK/Kirby who can amsah tech the rest normally it might actually be good. Missing rest -> amsah tech + rest like in the Magus video seems sick. Since missing the tech means death, I'd probably want to be at least 70-80% consistent to consider it.
Ok but the point of a hypothetical is you are just assuming you have it down 100 percent

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
What Jason posted is like the epitome of low key old school... Children of the corn featuring murda ma$e (before he was ma$e), killa cam (before he was Cam'Ron), bloodshed (ma$e's cousin, RIP), and Big L (one of the GOAT's, RIP). Crazy rhymers with below average production. Big L was on his way to stardom before he died. No joke, they guy that murdered him was gunned down about 2 months ago and I was happy. I'm a huge big L fan.

Outkast is sick. Andre3000 should've done a solo album around the ATLiens/Aquemini era. He's by far the best ever to come out of the south, on some real MC ****.

I'm almost at the level of ghostwriting for rappers nowadays. Most of them suck and I got rhymes out the @$$

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Been listening to this album lately. I'm blown away every time I listen to pretty much any track. Insane replay value. Some rappers still value the writing these days. Definitely not many tho

Anyone got a top 5 for rappers/mcs?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
To me the GOATS are Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, Big Pun, Eminem (no order).

After that would have Notorious BIG, Big L, Tupac, Nas, Andre3000, Jay-z... I like old school gangsta ****.

Aesop is mad talented. I like action bronson, Joey badass, some kendrick, everyone in slaughterhouse, most of wu tang, Jurassic 5, Guru... Too many to go through.

ANYTHING DJ PREMIER

I believe this isn't far off topic since Ganon is such a gangster.

Last edited:

F. Stein

Smash Journeyman
I've been catching people lately with falling up air because they sit in shield expecting fair or dair, uair's range is in between and the timing to hit with it is later. They usually drop shield to punish me, expecting a tomahawk and get scooped. (I'm using the front half of the uair) is this a viable mixup or is it like really bad if I hit their shield with it?

Bwmat

Smash Ace
You'll get grabbed

Also, yeah, I spam the **** out of roll. Need to actually start doing more wd oos

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
To me the GOATS are Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, Big Pun, Eminem (no order).

After that would have Notorious BIG, Big L, Tupac, Nas, Andre3000, Jay-z... I like old school gangsta ****.

Aesop is mad talented. I like action bronson, Joey badass, some kendrick, everyone in slaughterhouse, most of wu tang, Jurassic 5, Guru... Too many to go through.

ANYTHING DJ PREMIER

I believe this isn't far off topic since Ganon is such a gangster.
Hell yeah dude. Rakim is one of my favs too. Holy Are You and just The Master in general always sends shivers down my spine.

J5 also is the ****. Tuna's voice and flow are insane. His solo stuff should be more on the radar

Diosama

Stand User
I've been catching people lately with falling up air because they sit in shield expecting fair or dair, uair's range is in between and the timing to hit with it is later. They usually drop shield to punish me, expecting a tomahawk and get scooped. (I'm using the front half of the uair) is this a viable mixup or is it like really bad if I hit their shield with it?
I luv falling upair, it lead to a sick ko in this set (2:40)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YblIir-FJBM

Feel free to critique too

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Top 5 emcees DoA: Nas, Rakim, BIG, Big Daddy Kane, Big L

And yes rap is relevant to ganon LOL
Nas def has had best album of all time (illmatic, although it was written and stillmatic were soooo dope), and despite my top 5, Big L is my favorite mc if that makes sense

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Went to a tourney today.

Beat ORLY 2-1 in winner's.

Beat some IC player that a lot of people lose to because Chicago doesn't know how to deal with wobbling LOL. Lamed it out and didn't get grabbed, pretty easy match. I really think that that matchup is in ganon's favor pretty heavily up until the very top.

Lost to Vro 3-1 in semi's, won game one and then just lost focus - started approaching in stupid ways and making dumb decisions. Hindawg came up to me mid set and was like wtf dude play like you were JUST playing. Auto-pilot is a ***** my friends. Vro adapted well though.

Lost to ORLY 3-0 in loser's semi's. This was a fun set, neither of us took it too seriously. A littler more style than fundamentals, but he kinda bodied me either way lmao. Definitely some combo video footage in this one if I can find the set (side stream).

And for the record, both old school rap and alcohol are relevant to ganon, end of discussion.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
PseudoTurtle PseudoTurtle good **** dude, is there a bracket anywhere? Who did vro face in WF?
Thanks dude. There is somewhere, but I don't know the link. I can look for it in a bit, but he played against captain faceroll, they generally go pretty back and forth, but faceroll got him this time.

For anyone curious or anyone who wants a few laughs, this is me vs ORLY set 2. Gfycats were had by both of us. And stay tuned to the very end to see me poop on his falco LOL. Not a bad example of some good shield DI as well. I remember getting a stomp because I was pushed outside of shine range.

https://www.twitch.tv/witgaming/v/80710628?t=2h28m51s

Me vs vro should be uploaded soon as well.

Last edited:

tm

Smash Ace
Are you guys forgetting that if you miss the tech, you'll fly off the stage and be able to punish rest? You only have a point when Ganon is under like 20%. I don't see where all this opposition is coming from. I mean why argue against something really good?? I've done this at least twice with warlock punch, I think another time where I couldn't punish. Some of y'all some negative Nancy's.
??? If you try to SDI down and away [which is required] and miss the tech, it's A$$ DI and you definitely aren't living?
Also maybe I haven't had survival DI on rest at zero, but I was under the impression that it takes too long to recover to punish a rest hit. If I'm wrong that's cool, but I thought there was no way unless it was stale

I don't agree with "there's nothing to lose" bc if you're at zero you can live [on a decent amount of stage / position combinations] with survival DI, but attempting the amsah tech and failing will get you killed bc you have to hit down+away.
If I can live off survival DI, I'm going to survival DI. That's a small percentage range. Everything higher than that, I'll try to tech because I have nothing to lose. I have never practiced this tech, nor have I studied frame data. I just go for it and it works sometimes. I don't know what else to say.
oh okay. well that's a pretty small window from like 15%-29% on most stages I'm guessing. But if you'll die with survival DI, yeah you should absolutely attempt it every time.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
LOL tm I'm surprised you even posted that

The thought of me lying about landing a tech or getting and using the 18 frames of INV is hilarious to me. Seems like "Ace is obviously full of **** if he doesn't have a vid" ....lmfao.

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
"do you enjoy being fisted?"

for real, the other week i was playing against admiral, a really good ics player (possibly the best female smasher) from ct, in a rotation with some kid. there's a sauna at this venue (it was a clubhouse for unh), so some people were talking about it. i bring up that the sauna is like right next to the entrance of the bathroom, so it's kind of a weird location. this kid says, "i don't care if someone sees my ****" and looks straight at admiral. she leaves the setup the next game lol

Oldiz

Smash Apprentice
Friendly reminder that retreating bair beats all aproaches by falcon, and might lead to a tech chase, especially with platforms. Uair on a side platform sets up nicely for an edgeguard too. I've gotten lots of mileage with this and beaten higher ranked falcons.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
To beat falcon you need to beat his approaches. Respect his speed and slam away to avoid his combos. It takes a lot of situational consciousness. You can beat him in neutral If you corner him and choose the right options.

I just tore up some Georgia back roads with the Ganonmobile, aka the black demon. Spraying mud like there's no tomorrow. Fun as ****, truck is covered with mud

All these rednecks in Georgia are breaking their necks over my mean machine. I let em know :denzel:

Edit: forgot, I need a vid

Last edited:
Top Bottom