• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Bwmat

Smash Ace
yeah I overuse dthrow to down-b way too much. I should try to learn that side-b punish which covers 3/4 options.

Coastward

Smash Lord
i've had to play the same person in bracket like 4 times in a row ever since last month LOL. this sucks, i've only beaten him once out of these times and i feel like my bracket luck isn't letting me show off my progress. maybe i'm actually not progressing since i keep losing LOL.

@ PseudoTurtle PseudoTurtle how come you hate the falco matchup so bad?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
i've had to play the same person in bracket like 4 times in a row ever since last month LOL. this sucks, i've only beaten him once out of these times and i feel like my bracket luck isn't letting me show off my progress. maybe i'm actually not progressing since i keep losing LOL.

@ PseudoTurtle PseudoTurtle how come you hate the falco matchup so bad?
Well generally your seed wont change if you place the same.. so you are likely to face the same guys. Kinda like back in the day where i always get 17th-25th at locals losing to the same people.

Coastward

Smash Lord
Well generally your seed wont change if you place the same.. so you are likely to face the same guys. Kinda like back in the day where i always get 17th-25th at locals losing to the same people.
my seed has been getting better overtime though, i keep having to face nightmare all the time in losers LOL. it sucks so much.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Lasers blow. Gotta SDI them in midair. When I'm playing clay (porkchops) I basically have to roll out of shine pressure until I can get him to space his approach incorrectly and contest it with jab. Ftilt is harder to land. But it's either that, SASDI/SSDI grab, or bair oos depending on his positioning. Got a quad stomp on him just about an hour ago, lol. 0-77% REAL quick. We played 4 sets and I was only able to bring him to one stock 50% of the time. His pressure is clever and pretty consistent.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Hey guys, just got back from doing two tournaments in a row this weekend.

I got 2nd seed in my pool for Olympus in SC on Saturday, losing only to SS | Soft (granted it was a rather easy pool)
Final bracket I just got double Foxed.

Sunday I went to SnS in Raleigh and I went 3-2, losing to a solid Fox main from my area that I hadn't played in a while and a Sheik.

Both tournaments I got rather discouraged after being eliminated and it's been making me think about whether entering tournaments is actually worth it or not. I can still get better even if I don't enter tournaments right? How am I supposed to show I'm good at the game if I don't enter tournaments though? I don't like to be down about things and I want to play the game to have fun and learn, as of lately I've been a real negative nancy about a lot of matchups I struggle with (Peach, Puff, Sheik) and there's just a lot of negative emotion when I enter a tournament. I'm honestly conflicted and not really sure what to do. I still want to play Ganon and learn those matchups but I just don't get to practice them very much. I want to tackle this problem from a different viewpoint or something. I was thinking maybe instead of entering tournaments I would have people MM me? Like tell people that I'm willing to do $5 MMes and see who bites or something. This way I can possibly earn some money back or keep some money in my pocket if I do well, or I get valuable experience even if I lose. Kinda sounds win-win to me. I'm not too sure, I'm just throwing out ideas here, cause I'm really feeling like I need to take a break from entering tournaments again, and not enter again until my mentality is ready for tournament (because it obviously isn't.) I know for a fact that I just play better when I am enjoying myself, so I want to work on that as well.

Bwmat

Smash Ace
I've really had a problem lately with bad attitude during tournaments.

I would do better when I went in high and not give a ****, lol. The trick is to not stress out and just pay attention when you're playing and think about what you can be doing better at any given time.

If you watch the whole vid I just posted a bit ago, I went in with the attitude that I was going to get wrecked, but that I should just play as well as I could and just get better at the matchup, and you can see that we were both having a blast, even as we were losing stocks, and I did better against that player than I have in years in tournament.

I can't claim that I'm going to be able to follow my own advice consistently in the future though lol.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
You're talking about Peach Puff and Sheik right?
All of it. Realize that's what matters most, and it's where anyone can improve. Keep a good mindset. I hope you realize how major Ian going almost even with ghatzu is. Ganon is very capable but If your neutral game is lacking many of Ganons weaknesses are immediately exposed.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Yea I saw him body you, you were playing pretty sus in that set. Everytime you lose I got a saying, It's "Aw man Eikelmann" #AwManEikelmann2015
that was at the other weekly. wasn't even really playing during that set. the set at the monthly that i just posted about wasn't on stream.

anyway, great news. i've been thinking in the back of my head that my progress vs gahtzu was a fluke, but i made it to losers finals vs him yesterday night and i brought him to game 5 while being down two games. here's my fear though:

i've been playing against ONLY this 20gx style for so long now that i'm concerned about how i'll play against normal falcons instead. i haven't played a regular falcon in almost a year now in tournament. what do i do?

gahtzu/20gx style is the inevitable future for falcon so i'm glad to be prepared for this, but concerned about the now. idk guys. thoughts?

Last edited:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
that was at the other weekly. wasn't even really playing during that set. the set at the monthly that i just posted about wasn't on stream.

anyway, great news. i've been thinking in the back of my head that my progress vs gahtzu was a fluke, but i made it to losers finals vs him yesterday night and i brought him to game 5 while being down two games. here's my fear though:

i've been playing against ONLY this 20gx style for so long now that i'm concerned about how i'll play against normal falcons instead. i haven't played a regular falcon in almost a year now in tournament. what do i do?

gahtzu/20gx style is the inevitable future for falcon so i'm glad to be prepared for this, but concerned about the now. idk guys. thoughts?
Confidence for you and Locke is needed badly it seems. Doubting yourself about things that could potentially happen is pretty much useless because those things never happen the way you think they will. I think that's why you are always surprised when people show their support towards you.

So what do you do in this case? You go tournaments where there's good Falcons like S2j or Darkrain and then you fight them. Then in that fight, you figure out their habits based on what you trained.

I've said this before but a true Ganon main is unstoppable. Just imagine yourself as Ganondorf, you really think he's going to be scared? lol.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante

Link to that tournament info please

tm

Smash Ace
I also lost to a pika this weekend at shuffle, lol. Really annoying MU imo, I played vs anther and it was super close, game 3 (and games 2 and 3 went to last stock). I had the same problem with him that I do vs most players, he would stay very close to the ledge, and even though I had center stage almost the entire time, I had almost no pressure because I didn't want to extend all the way to the edge of the stage, and if I did he would generally stuff me with his much quicker hitboxes. Trying to grab pika is a nightmare, and I also found it almost impossible to hit him with anything out of shield. Which pretty much leaves me to try stuffing his approaches, which he wasn't really doing. Got a few nice aerials reading his spot dodge, but it wasn't enough in the end, in part because I couldn't edgeguard him either. I generally covered stage in case he got lazy or messed up, but he's very experienced and sweetspotted to the ledge perfectly every time. A few times when he had to recover from very far away, I grabbed ledge and stood from ledge, and punished his landing onstage, but this isn't possible when he is close enough to zip far into stage. Also if you try to punish the sweetspot and whiff (and you have basically a 1 frame window to hit the sweetspot), he can instantly uair your lag, flipping you offstage for a free edgeguard (pika edgeguards ganon just as easy as top tiers). So yeah generally quite frustrating, but the set was really intense and good **** to him for adapting.

After the set I asked for any advice. He suggested that for edgeguarding I should condition him to go onstage by taking ledge, then as a mixup, just waveland onstage as he upBs. Because it's very risky for him to go for ledge in that situation, it could lead to a lot of punishes because that way you actually can punish his lag every time. This is generally not worth it vs sheik because she can't go that far, but for pika it probably is. I was also caught trying to act out of my shield a lot (similar to vs link), so I need to discipline myself to not do anything OoS when it's not safe, and learn when that is. Still not sure what the correct approach to the MU is. Perhaps stuffing nairs with jab, and a really heavy bait game, similar to vs fox (except you can't grab in neutral). I was basically trying to wall him out which ultimately didn't work.

I also lost to a campy puff, Amida. I am starting to believe that puff is just as hard or harder for ganon than sheik is, if played right. She can constantly exert pressure without hardly any risk or commitment, and the punishes are so hard and so easy... It's like a floaty falcon. I've also been brainstorming a lot for vs puff, and I have yet to find an answer other than "outplay them really hard, and read their movement and DI like a boss".

In other news, I also got 2nd in teams at Shuffle VII with my teammate 1der, beating teams such as Drephen+Voorhese and Kalamazhu+Fizzle. We lost to Mew2King+Prince Abu, although we took 1 game where M2K tried to B.M. us by going zelda for most of it (DENIED). Overall it was a fun tournament.

TheMentaculus

Smash Cadet
Here's the GF set from my local (only eleven people this week, lol) between me and TheNumberJ. I lost 3-2, but I got a four-stock game 2. Yea boi.
Anyways, I would love any advice you all have. It's Ganon v. Sheik, though he only switched from Falcon to Sheik recently. I was trying to work on CCing anytime he did an unsafe tilt or dash attack, but I didn't feel like I got any good punishes. Advice? Also, I kept getting F-tilt or U-tilted when I tried to jump OoS. Should I be wavedashing back OoS instead?

https://youtu.be/ukvoNnO-Ubg?list=PLL19eznBMmZbG0imQiHHIYnoh7Jk6EQwV&t=59

EDIT: I forgot my controller randomly quit working game 5. Idk what happened, but un-plugged and re-plugged it in and it worked fine.

Last edited:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I also lost to a pika this weekend at shuffle, lol. Really annoying MU imo, I played vs anther and it was super close, game 3 (and games 2 and 3 went to last stock). I had the same problem with him that I do vs most players, he would stay very close to the ledge, and even though I had center stage almost the entire time, I had almost no pressure because I didn't want to extend all the way to the edge of the stage, and if I did he would generally stuff me with his much quicker hitboxes. Trying to grab pika is a nightmare, and I also found it almost impossible to hit him with anything out of shield. Which pretty much leaves me to try stuffing his approaches, which he wasn't really doing. Got a few nice aerials reading his spot dodge, but it wasn't enough in the end, in part because I couldn't edgeguard him either. I generally covered stage in case he got lazy or messed up, but he's very experienced and sweetspotted to the ledge perfectly every time. A few times when he had to recover from very far away, I grabbed ledge and stood from ledge, and punished his landing onstage, but this isn't possible when he is close enough to zip far into stage. Also if you try to punish the sweetspot and whiff (and you have basically a 1 frame window to hit the sweetspot), he can instantly uair your lag, flipping you offstage for a free edgeguard (pika edgeguards ganon just as easy as top tiers). So yeah generally quite frustrating, but the set was really intense and good **** to him for adapting.

After the set I asked for any advice. He suggested that for edgeguarding I should condition him to go onstage by taking ledge, then as a mixup, just waveland onstage as he upBs. Because it's very risky for him to go for ledge in that situation, it could lead to a lot of punishes because that way you actually can punish his lag every time. This is generally not worth it vs sheik because she can't go that far, but for pika it probably is. I was also caught trying to act out of my shield a lot (similar to vs link), so I need to discipline myself to not do anything OoS when it's not safe, and learn when that is. Still not sure what the correct approach to the MU is. Perhaps stuffing nairs with jab, and a really heavy bait game, similar to vs fox (except you can't grab in neutral). I was basically trying to wall him out which ultimately didn't work.

I also lost to a campy puff, Amida. I am starting to believe that puff is just as hard or harder for ganon than sheik is, if played right. She can constantly exert pressure without hardly any risk or commitment, and the punishes are so hard and so easy... It's like a floaty falcon. I've also been brainstorming a lot for vs puff, and I have yet to find an answer other than "outplay them really hard, and read their movement and DI like a boss".

In other news, I also got 2nd in teams at Shuffle VII with my teammate 1der, beating teams such as Drephen+Voorhese and Kalamazhu+Fizzle. We lost to Mew2King+Prince Abu, although we took 1 game where M2K tried to B.M. us by going zelda for most of it (DENIED). Overall it was a fun tournament.
Whoa whoa, Jiggs harder than Sheik for Ganon? You're kidding.. Did you know I JV4 and 3 stocked Abu last weekend? lol. Your decision making is probably no good if you think its really that hard.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
So I ended up getting 9th at Shuffle. Lost to Luigigoshard in winner's; although I play against Luigi a lot at my locals, he was definitely more experienced and punished a lot of my stuff with wavedash OoS upsmash, which caught me off guard. Should've played more patient, really. I almost won game 2 on Yoshi's, but got misfired and died during the last edgeguard lol.

I then beat Onisser, TeamNick (a campy Puff that I almost lost to), Goodin, Deep Fox, and finally lost to Vorheese. He went Pika game 2, so I understand the pain for both the Puff and Pika MUs.

But basically, I don't think I should've out placed @ tm tm . Running into Amida must've sucked, whereas I got to play a bunch of people around my skill level from losing to Goshard. Had I beaten him and lost to Kzhu, I probably would've lost to Lain (like in PM).

I guess that's the bracket luck in play. My teammate and I got 7th in doubles, going ganon/fox and ultimately losing to tm + 1der. You guys played hella good, so good stuff on 2nd. Hopefully our synergy can become as good as yours.

tm

Smash Ace
Placement number doesn't really mean much until payout, so it's whatever. All about your specific wins / losses imo.

Whoa whoa, Jiggs harder than Sheik for Ganon? You're kidding.. Did you know I JV4 and 3 stocked Abu last weekend? lol. Your decision making is probably no good if you think its really that hard.
Hearing you say that is somewhat of a relief. I hope you're right, and you probably are, but at the moment I feel like there's nothing I can do against puff in neutral... like she can just out maneuver me completely and punish my missed attacks, meanwhile her pressure is unpunishable because her ridiculous air speed... It seems like it requires a ton of reads on my part and if they just play the matchup right, they'll just win. Stage control means very little because going offstage is not very risky for her, and much more so for me. I get caught in shield too much (which I find very bad against puff), but when I try to avoid doing so by spacing better and trying to whiff punish, it just doesn't work because the sheer amount of space that she covers. I'm probably going about it the wrong way, but I have yet to see any footage of ganon vs an extremely defensive puff.

I'd love to see that set vs abu if it was recorded. There's almost no good ganon vs puff footage that I've come across.

edit: what should my goal be in neutral? If she stays out of my bair / uair range except for when she has a hitbox out, how do I get in? Fair outranges her but she also has time to react to it, and I feel like I have to hard read her movement to get that, and if I miss she can punish it easily (this happened to me a lot). Any advice anyone?

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
@ tm tm My basic understanding with playing vs Puff is that you have to keep in mind that her bair outranges all of your attacks except fair, ftilt, and dtilt and I think upair to a degree. Basically, when she bairs and starts retreating is when you want to upair. You want to hit her in between her bairing when in neutral, and you basically just keep hitting her and maintaining stage control until she dies. As long as you're close enough to be able to SH or FH upair her and it's spaced well, you can time it in between bair hits. I haven't played enough Puffs to really conclude thise, but upair is definitely a move you're going to want to spam a lot vs Puff, and you'll only want to fair when you have a read on her movement and she's not able to put a hitbox out in time. You can bair her as well, but because that reaches low I feel like its use is a bit limited in neutral, and therefore it might be a good tool for edgeguarding her when she is rather low. I also think hitting her with a reverse upair a good few times is a legit strategy to edgeguard her, again, I just haven't been able to practice vs many Puffs to really nail down these concepts.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
@ tm tm just search Kage Abu on YouTube. Big house three and Kage bopped him. Jiggs isn't so bad. Def jiggs favor, but doable. To be honest, I actually like to stay in shield vs puff and guess where she's gonna go after hitting your shield. After playing bieber (easily best puff in Illinois, debatably best Midwest puff), staying in shield is good for baiting nairs that can be beaten by up air. And if the puff crosses you up while facing backwards, chances are she's gonna empty hop up tilt, so full hop stomp is a good punish, while also being relatively safe due to puff's bad vertical aerial mobility.

@ Moy Moy nice job getting 9th at shuffle, I'm impressed. I remember playing luigigoshard a little while ago. No shame in losing to him, he's pretty good. He even beat ORLY before.

Too bad he couldn't get past the turtle :troll:

Last edited:

TheMentaculus

Smash Cadet
Puff has always been one of the most awkward feeling of match-ups for me. Definitely agree with what @ PseudoTurtle PseudoTurtle said about staying in shield to see what they are going to do. Other than that, keeping your back to her and staying slightly higher than her in the air and b-airing her is really the best bet imo. Sometimes sneaking in a Reverse U-air to keep them out can work, though it doesn't tack on much %. Only grab when you know you will get it. One thing I like to do out of d-throw at low % is space a Dair so that you are just to the side of jiggs but will still knick her with it, to avoid the rest. It will either will give you a good tech-chase opportunity or sometimes a no-tech if they're surprised. Basically I try to focus most on just spacing her out without giving up much ground (much more precious to Ganon than to her, lol) and trading B-airs with her whenever able. Keep your back to her, space her with b-airs and if she crosses you up while you're in shield, U-airs are the way to go. It is just such a weird MU. I think the reason I hate it is because I've always viewed Ganon as a very momentum based character, but against Jiggs, it feels like you're in neutral forever, and can't hesitate or push very much at all. It's always been a draining MU.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Placement number doesn't really mean much until payout, so it's whatever. All about your specific wins / losses imo.

Hearing you say that is somewhat of a relief. I hope you're right, and you probably are, but at the moment I feel like there's nothing I can do against puff in neutral... like she can just out maneuver me completely and punish my missed attacks, meanwhile her pressure is unpunishable because her ridiculous air speed... It seems like it requires a ton of reads on my part and if they just play the matchup right, they'll just win. Stage control means very little because going offstage is not very risky for her, and much more so for me. I get caught in shield too much (which I find very bad against puff), but when I try to avoid doing so by spacing better and trying to whiff punish, it just doesn't work because the sheer amount of space that she covers. I'm probably going about it the wrong way, but I have yet to see any footage of ganon vs an extremely defensive puff.

I'd love to see that set vs abu if it was recorded. There's almost no good ganon vs puff footage that I've come across.

edit: what should my goal be in neutral? If she stays out of my bair / uair range except for when she has a hitbox out, how do I get in? Fair outranges her but she also has time to react to it, and I feel like I have to hard read her movement to get that, and if I miss she can punish it easily (this happened to me a lot). Any advice anyone?
This matchup is kinda like Samus where you have to play heavy footsies with her, the only difference is that most of the time you have to do it in the air. There's certainly angles she can take where she can relentlessly pressure Ganon in shield by being directly close to him, you have to avoid that situation at all costs since it could lead to big combos or rest setups. In that situation, you have to wait for her to throw out her next move so you can roll away or WD safely. You have to keep moving forward and then backwards to bait her approach. I never really attack a Jigglypuff unless I know they are going to drift towards me. Like you said a whiffed attack is deadly so its SUPER important to be extra precise or that situation i talked about will happen every single time. The only time a whiffed attack is good is when you are trying to read an approach but you have to cover your ass with another secondary read just in case the first one failed. Example, I think shes going to come in with a fair so I uair her if that didnt happen and she decides to WD in instead, I might be able to dair her shield spaced of course because if not thats an auto-rest punish.

A lot of it has to do with precise movement to get these kinds of counter-attacks.. always keep a range where she can threaten a long range attack and then you can counter-attack every single move she has. Use your WD wisely, even in place, even short WD and stuff like that.. all depends on spacing and her decisions.

Edit: And the most recent set with Abu wasnt recorded unfortunately. I played it off stream because losers bracket before top 8.. lol. Being a loser sucks. =P

Last edited:

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
On an unrelated note; I have a new strategy. It's called:

Talking subtle **** to your opponent either during or in between matches. I'm pretty sure it's why I beat this one fox player's sheik so badly last Tuesday. Would've bopped his sheik anyway, but I think that's what put the final nail in the coffin.

It also got me out of a wobble yesterday (LOLLLLL).

Yes, I realize it's an old mang0 / Wes strategy, but only now do I realize its true potential. The new meta, guys. **** WITH YOUR OPPONENTS. It's hilarious.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
On an unrelated note; I have a new strategy. It's called:

Talking subtle **** to your opponent either during or in between matches. I'm pretty sure it's why I beat this one fox player's sheik so badly last Tuesday. Would've bopped his sheik anyway, but I think that's what put the final nail in the coffin.

It also got me out of a wobble yesterday (LOLLLLL).

Yes, I realize it's an old mang0 / Wes strategy, but only now do I realize its true potential. The new meta, guys. **** WITH YOUR OPPONENTS. It's hilarious.
Im always for using external forces to disrupt your opponent. They cant really call you out on heckling either since you are already fighting him. =P I dont think i would do this though, it already takes so much focus to beat good players. lol

Last edited:

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Im always for using external forces to disrupt your opponent. They cant really call you out on heckling either since you are already fighting him. =P I dont think i would do this though, it already takes so much focus to beat good players. lol
I hear you on that. It's not even like it takes that much focus, really, just small things. For example, with the IC player, when he had a wobble on me, I said to him "you better not **** this up or I'm gonna come back and win. Seriously, don't **** up here." Lo and behold, he ****ed it up and I won lmao. He also played like trash for the rest of the set.

It may be in bad taste, but wobbling is stupid anyway lol.

It probably won't work on good players because they're already conditioned to thrive under the pressure, but it's more fun than anything. Raises your confidence and lowers theirs, so what's not to love.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Wow I got bodied tonight. Lost to a ****ing PIKACHU lmao (he's pretty good). Both matches were really close. Then I had to play smilez, a fox I've never beat that knows my style. I took a game for the first time but he was in control most of the last 2 matches. Not sure why he had to play Blea first round, lmao (2 and 3 seed) but whatever. I should've ftilted more vs pika. Lol.

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
u conveniently left out the part where i took a game fuker

edit: MM ME AT GOML GANON SUX

Last edited:

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Confidence for you and Locke is needed badly it seems. Doubting yourself about things that could potentially happen is pretty much useless because those things never happen the way you think they will. I think that's why you are always surprised when people show their support towards you.

So what do you do in this case? You go tournaments where there's good Falcons like S2j or Darkrain and then you fight them. Then in that fight, you figure out their habits based on what you trained.

I've said this before but a true Ganon main is unstoppable. Just imagine yourself as Ganondorf, you really think he's going to be scared? lol.
honestly i'm just concerned about being TOO confident. i don't know where i stand. i don't even think i'm good. it might be a confidence issue, but i'm concerned about staying humble.

also @ -ACE- -ACE- it's florida. the tournament has no results thread or videos so it basically never happened.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
u conveniently left out the part where i took a game fuker

edit: MM ME AT GOML GANON SUX
That's because games are meaningless to me, it's either the win or the loss. HOLD DAT. And you actually came here to post that.. Im going to imagine theres a snitch amongst the ganon mains.

honestly i'm just concerned about being TOO confident. i don't know where i stand. i don't even think i'm good. it might be a confidence issue, but i'm concerned about staying humble.
I dont see the advantage in being humble when you arent the best. A driving force is needed to keep pushing forward, the only thing anyone needs to think about is being confident they can win. I dont understand the root of the problem about questioning yourself being good or not. We're all humans I mean.. all we can do is refine ourselves. That confidence doesnt need to go further.

Over-confidence is like Duck thinking he can beat me 100% of the time. That's foolish thinking because when you fight, there's constant adaptation going on so he might be missing out on crucial information in order to get the win at that time.

didn't i beat you at fc legacy?

hbox is the only jiggs that knows how to play vs ganondorf correctly so nobody should be having trouble with jiggs yet imo
Darc was pretty damn good at it too but he no longer plays hehe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom