• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
**** falco. Lost to Hindawg AGAIN!! It was so close this time, too. At least I beat a falco that's been giving me problems recently.

I also got destroyed by kels LOL. ****ing destroyed. That matchup is asshole. How the **** did you beat him @ Divinokage Divinokage ?? That **** is downright impossible.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I'm finding I'm having better luck agains the overwhelmingly good space animal players by just not shielding very often and crouch canceling their approaches and punishing after trying to read the approach with something and whiffing. Also playing like a ***** from the ledge works if they either 1. don't respect Ganon (like most players) or 2. think you are a bad player and will make a mistake. I think you can take advantage of 2. a lot against better players in a variety of situations. For example, people that think they're better than you will often tech in place as they think you will be too slow to react. So I will often read techs in place when playing a better player than me the first opportunity I get to tech chase. After that, it's about adaptation.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Well I played an unexpected tournament yesterday. I want to play friendlies with a friend of mine but he left just after I got there. Turns out that there was an accidental posting of a tournament being on that day there, you know how smashboards does the automatic thread creation? Yeah that happened without the guy knowing about it.

Anyway, I told myself that I wasn't going to enter tournaments for a bit after what I've learned from this past weekend, and I would only enter if someone would pay for me. It was only a $2 tournament and one of my friends was kind enough to enter me in, so I thought "why not".

I got seeded first. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th seed all played Sheik whether it be a secondary or a main.

You can probably guess what place I got.

I need to practice more vs Sheiks cause I'm still not understanding the matchup fully. I'm still dropping chaingrabs and I'm still getting grabbed a lot. My DI and recovery has gotten better but it's not enough. I hope to play some of the Sheiks more over the summer, as I really need the practice.

If I eventually come to the conclusion that Ganon just cannot beat Sheik, then I'll probably play Doc for that matchup, cause that's a pretty fun matchup in my opinion, and at least a little more doable, but again, I'm not turning to that option just yet, but it's definitely in the back of my mind.

It's interesting two because the two Sheiks that I lost to at the tournament yesterday played differently. The first one I played was a very defensive Sheik that knew how to move, and the second one was a very aggressive Sheik that knew how to grab. Two distinct styles that I need to play more vs and I can probably get enough data to really come up with a solution to the situations that I'm not getting yet.

Also shoutouts to 500 pages of this thread. I still like this thread a lot. It feels like a home in a way. A place to discuss about our character that we love so much. I honestly don't know where I would be today without this thread.

I hope to beat you all in Ganon dittos soon ;)

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I've been dropping sheik cg's lately because I've been playing against so many spacies. I'm hitting the dash too soon and miss either the turnaround or the jc grab. I need a cube lol, I really just have to focus harder. I'm better at cg'ing Falco than sheik currently so something is wrong lmao.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I'm starting to fall out of Sheik practice myself. Not a lot of people in my region play Sheik anymore, and my Sheik friend has been living in Germany for the last year so I don't get the practice anymore. It's starting to show. A spacie counterpicked me with Sheik last week and beat me. I dropped things I used to nail all the time. I'm not really unconfident in the matchup, though. I know how to beat Sheik, I just need to practice the execution more often.

tm

Smash Ace
Do I need to write a sheik guide? IMO it's not that bad, unless they are SUPER abusive (like M2K levels). Even then I don't think ganons have worked on the baiting game in neutral nearly as much as they have vs spacies. I haven't lost to a sheik that I didn't consider to be a better player than me for over 1 year now.

Coastward

Smash Lord
Do I need to write a sheik guide? IMO it's not that bad, unless they are SUPER abusive (like M2K levels). Even then I don't think ganons have worked on the baiting game in neutral nearly as much as they have vs spacies. I haven't lost to a sheik that I didn't consider to be a better player than me for over 1 year now.
yeah make a sheik guide LOL. i've been losing to too many scrub sheiks recently and i'm getting rustled.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
yeah make a sheik guide LOL. i've been losing to too many scrub sheiks recently and i'm getting rustled.
If the Sheik has a good punish game, its always going to be really hard. lol Even Waz in mtl is starting to give me a bit of trouble. And all this time I havent been able to crack top Sheiks either. That matchup..

Id rather fight top spacies by A LOT than top Sheiks.. so annoying.

Last edited:

Coastward

Smash Lord
If the Sheik has a good punish game, its always going to be really hard. lol Even Waz in mtl is starting to give me a bit of trouble. And all this time I havent been able to crack top Sheiks either. That matchup..

Id rather fight top spacies by A LOT than top Sheiks.. so annoying.
i feel like they could just do basic sheik things and they'd win without really trying. life is hard.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
i feel like they could just do basic sheik things and they'd win without really trying. life is hard.
Yep.. I'd bet even being in the zone, it would be a challenge. lol.. so stupid. Honestly if your level is equal to the other guy, youll probably barely scrape the win. The footsies needs to be on point and i did say way back then that forcing Sheik to shield is pretty good most of the time while being safe of course because then you can bait her next action OOS a lot easier. But you cant do the frame trap fair to jab on her, its too risky. Its funny because on ICs jab is safe on shield, I tested with Dizz and he couldnt get a punish out of it. Of course if you are too close youll get shield grabbed though. So ya in general you have to stuff Sheik before her moves come out which is pretty damn tough in general. Trying to avoid her moves isnt easy at all because she covers a lot of space and Ganon is fat.

Though now I do remember I nearly beat m2k's sheik at times but i never took the game.. Hmm.. I wonder if its possible to get close to that again in 2015. It's not Genesis 1 anymore hehe.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Got 6th at my 40 man local today. The only person that beat me was a Peach player called Strata or something. I adapted hard the second set against him and nearly took it. I'll get him next time.

You should. I also agree that Sheik isn't as bad as people say. Back when I had a lot of Sheik practice, I was able to go toe-to-toe with some impressive Sheiks in my region while being not nearly as good a player as I am now. The thing is, it's the type of matchup where if you don't have the spacing and punishes perfected, you're going to struggle. You just have to play it a lot.

TheMentaculus

Smash Cadet
I think a sheik guide would be a great help. The only sheiks I get to play are not really that impressive, and whenever I go to a larger tournament I inevitably get bopped by them. I need to know how to play neutral in that MU better.

Coastward

Smash Lord
Sup guys. Some vids (finally). And there's many more to come as soon as EXP uploads the most recent ones.

VS Dart - Holy **** I got ****ed up. No critique necessary... I know my DI sucks. He usually beats me, but not that badly lawl.
VS N64
bro you barely grabbed pikachu rofl. whenever you force him to upb on stage, just ledgedash grab him. he rarely got punished for it so just look for that next time. you played pretty well in that set though, i still revere that movement Kreygasm

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Yep.. I'd bet even being in the zone, it would be a challenge. lol.. so stupid. Honestly if your level is equal to the other guy, youll probably barely scrape the win. The footsies needs to be on point and i did say way back then that forcing Sheik to shield is pretty good most of the time while being safe of course because then you can bait her next action OOS a lot easier. But you cant do the frame trap fair to jab on her, its too risky. Its funny because on ICs jab is safe on shield, I tested with Dizz and he couldnt get a punish out of it. Of course if you are too close youll get shield grabbed though. So ya in general you have to stuff Sheik before her moves come out which is pretty damn tough in general. Trying to avoid her moves isnt easy at all because she covers a lot of space and Ganon is fat.

Though now I do remember I nearly beat m2k's sheik at times but i never took the game.. Hmm.. I wonder if its possible to get close to that again in 2015. It's not Genesis 1 anymore hehe.
It's official. Kage watches Koroko no basuke. LOL http://www.animewallpapersz.com/uploads/Kagami-Taiga-Zone-HD-Wallpaper.jpg

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
bro you barely grabbed pikachu rofl. whenever you force him to upb on stage, just ledgedash grab him. he rarely got punished for it so just look for that next time. you played pretty well in that set though, i still revere that movement Kreygasm
Lol thanks. And that's not a viable edge guard option- the landing lag on pika's up-b is weird. You can't grab him when he's in landing lag. I know I tried it during one of the sets and actually got punished. You gotta go for an aerial.

I'm not familiar at all with the matchup, and pikachu is all over the place... going for the grab can be pretty intimidating lol

tm

Smash Ace
Lol thanks. And that's not a viable edge guard option- the landing lag on pika's up-b is weird. You can't grab him when he's in landing lag. I know I tried it during one of the sets and actually got punished. You gotta go for an aerial.

I'm not familiar at all with the matchup, and pikachu is all over the place... going for the grab can be pretty intimidating lol
try using dash grab, it goes slightly lower than standing grab. Although you still might have to hit while pika is about to stand back up, at the very end of the lag. I swear that MU is rough

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
You can punish landing lag with ledgedash usmash sometimes if you read them going in the lower plat (or sh dair/fair through the plat). You should be able to grab at the end of landing lag, kinda tricky like sheik. The grab has to be already out when he finally stands up. Ledgedash aerial is obviously good too.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Looks like I got plup in my pool for dismantle. Ian change your name back to something that I can write using my keyboard, so I can tag you.

Assuming I beat everyone (LOL EZ$), I'll play him fourth round. Any tips besides don't get four stocked?

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941

Coastward

Smash Lord
that feel when im on mobile and cant tell if i got the 20000th post.

also, its pretty ironic how we were talking about mediocre sheiks beating us because of the character MU. just got knocked into losers at my weekly roflllll.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
soooooooooooooooo hyped for GOML tomorrow. Kalamazhu in my pool, Peach is prob my best MU so I won't be utterly humiliated (like I probably would have been if I hadn't been switched out of The Moon's pool). Also got a Fox, a Marth and a Puff/Marth (and two that I can't find info on) - no Sheiks woot!

Top Bottom