• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
Swagic no fox trot is needed. you can simply run until you wish to pivot then press down to cancel it then dash from there. other ways of closing gaps quickly and being in position to bair are, shff waveland to moonwalk or you can jump out of a turnaround during a run animation partway through and youll be turned around once youve jumped.

Swagic

Smash Journeyman
Swagic no fox trot is needed. you can simply run until you wish to pivot then press down to cancel it then dash from there. other ways of closing gaps quickly and being in position to bair are, shff waveland to moonwalk or you can jump out of a turnaround during a run animation partway through and youll be turned around once youve jumped.
Maybe my timing just needs work, then. I'll work on those other options, they'll probably end up being more consistent.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
So let's say someone is shielding toward the edge of a platform so that if they are knocked off they enter tumble animation. If you uair them off the platform, what can you get off that? I feel like jab is guaranteed but I have no idea. Maybe grab or other tilts?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
on the second frame your character is actually in the stand up neutral position and responds as such.
Not totally accurate, Turn isn't quite the same as normal fully actionable grounded state such as Wait . The key options you're missing when pivoting from dash are: crouch, turn to other direction, walk. Because you can't crouch you can't do normal platform drop either. Dash isn't possible from frame 3+ of pivot either, so empty pivot leaves wd as your only movement option for the duration of the pivot (12 frames total IIRC). Also for some reason you can't neutral b in Turn either.

Overall a solid writeup though.

So let's say someone is shielding toward the edge of a platform so that if they are knocked off they enter tumble animation. If you uair them off the platform, what can you get off that? I feel like jab is guaranteed but I have no idea. Maybe grab or other tilts?
I guess that would depend on at what part of your trajectory your uair connects? The missfoot during which they can do nothing but fast fall lasts 26 frames, so you can probably get a lot of things in if your uair connects while you are falling. If it's a fast faller that fast falls immediately, I'm not sure how long it takes for them to land though.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Well at least the Ganon thread is still doin' good.
Damm... I wish the Doc boards was this active. I need to go win a regional to those guys up in there.
I saw you playing Ganon in friendlies the other night. You know you want to switch back to the dark side lol

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Damm... I wish the Doc boards was this active. I need to go win a regional to those guys up in there.
This is also pretty much the only place to have useful discussion nowadays aside from maybe some pp stuff on marth boards.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Yo tell your guys at unload to stop sending late loads when its 4:00 and we were supposed to be down 30 minutes ago. I'm trying to go home and **** my wife.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Just woke up from a dream where I was at CEO and Eikelmann was there drinking a full stout of beer. I was just having a lot of fun and hanging out with a lot of homies.

Don't know if Ian will be going this year, but I kind of want to make that dream a reality now. Though it might be too little too late, as CEO is less than 3 weeks away and registration for just Melee singles is $70. Plus I have no idea about a ride (I'm not driving my car I just got down to Orlando) or even housing. Damn this sucks, I just now got the feeling to go :(

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Just watched my set vs ORLY from Friday. Overall, I played OK, not great. Seems like I did most everything right except that I shielded too much and went for WAYYYY too many shield grabs. I should have just stomped behind every time lol falcons always try and cross you up.

I feel like my DI was super on point and my crouch cancels were really, really good. I ended up taking a game because ORLY SD'd while trying to edge guard me (THE PSEUDOTURTLE EFFECT) and then got 4 stocked on fd LOL **** that stage. Though I did make a countless amount of errors game three, can't fully blame the stage.

Falcon is too hard. Not too bad for my first day back since the gathering of the ganons in Florida though.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
On FD you have to play insanely patient. I basically wd back whenever I anticipate an approach. You can get a lot more shieldgrabs that way. You can also wd into dash away bair if you read it soon enough and they don't react to your every movement. And usually you can gain the space back normally (the space you lost from the wd back) unless they are dash dancing perfectly. But it just plain makes them out more decision making into their neutral. They view fighting Ganon as really simple but good defense makes it less simple, and they can tilt a little bit/start making sub par decisions as they experiment with ways to get past your unyielding defense. If you're picking the right options out of shield/cc it at least forces them to be super on point. I don't think the matchup is THAT BAD. At least nothing like sheik or fox.

Edit: "swypos"

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
tfw the guy who usually records stuff in your region has his laptop fail and currently has been unable to record things for over a month.
Damn. That sucks. I'm just never on stream. Sunday I got a stomp to wL grab on upper plat of BF, cg into finisher. Offstream lol

Edit: on Falco

Last edited:

Mr.Cochise

Smash Cadet
Damn. That sucks. I'm just never on stream. Sunday I got a stomp to wL grab on upper plat of BF, cg into finisher. Offstream lol
I'm also in that same boat. I'm never on stream either but thats due to being trash at melee.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
I saw you playing Ganon in friendlies the other night. You know you want to switch back to the dark side lol
I still play Ganon, just not in tournament.
I want to win ALL my matches using Dr Mario only.

Hey Ricky,

I have this for you. ;)

http://youtu.be/xoFAHKTWwuw
I knew that was gonna be an Up-B canceling video you joker!
Oh, I met one of your local smashers down here recently: BZRK

Yo tell your guys at unload to stop sending late loads when its 4:00 and we were supposed to be down 30 minutes ago. I'm trying to go home and **** my wife.
Hey, you guys are hammering all my shifts with wayyy too many irregs! I finished 45 minutes late two days in a row!

Renth

Smash Hero
Coolest thing in recent history, playing team Ganondorf.

Jiggly puff on stadium misses a rest at 0%. First ganon warlock punches, I do a moment after both connect. Jiggs died off the top. Man. It was like sex

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
So is nair decent shield pressure? Does Ganon HAVE decent shield pressure? If they go for a lot of grabs, I usually side-B, but that's SO punishable.
Space aerial, kill their oos option (or abuse the fact that they stay in shield if so). It takes intuition and every situation is different.

Coastward Coastward I did post one clip a while back, just making sure you got it.

Waldoring

Smash Cadet
Ganon, to the best of my knowledge, has no moves which are safe on shield. Nair is good for people shielding on platforms, but it's pretty punishable if you land next to them. Best bet for shield pressure is usually either spaced bairs, fullhop dair, or tomahawk grabs, but it's more a matter of being unpredictable than optimal since almost everything can be punished.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
This is something I'd like to talk about.

I crouch cancel here 100% of the time for a few reasons. The first reason, which is evident in the clip, is that sometimes even though you technically have a few frames to shield, you get poked. Ripple called it a "shield flicker." Not sure what the technical term is, but to put it simply, your shield isn't fully up yet even though you had frame advantage, and you get hit with the move. Watch at half speed if you can't catch it.

The second reason I cc is because, for whatever reason, sometimes you can't shield grab falcon out of his side-b. Not sure why that happens or at what spacing. I don't think I need to find a clip of this happening.

CC into grab is guaranteed at low % and it's a very viable (and IMO better) option than shielding a bad raptor boost. Just my PSA for the day.

edit: welcome back Renth Renth :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom