• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Reaction time is very important.

I watched those matches, lol. I feel like kage and n0ne could take a page from each other's playbook and be a lot better. Nice exhibition match though, plenty of hype.
Ya for sure, 2 heroes coming together to create a new friendly rivalry which means infinite growth! =D

Those matches were actually MMs, GimR is simply protecting himself to not showcase "gambling" on this channel which is fair enough.

Last edited:

Duel

Smash Apprentice
Signed up for EVO, motivation to practice I suppose. Either way it will be a great vacation!

spider_sense

Smash Champion
I need to find a way to go to EVO, hopefully I can find work before then. :/ Kage and I have a score to settle, especially since he called himself a superhero. LOL "My spider senses are tingling"

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I need to find a way to go to EVO, hopefully I can find work before then. :/ Kage and I have a score to settle, especially since he called himself a superhero. LOL "My spider senses are tingling"
Lolol, well Vwins and I are registered for EVO. Bring it!! My sword of justice is ready.

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
So I ran some tests today on my pure reaction to stimuli and I found some interesting (and kind of depressing) results:

Reacting to one stimuli: Average of 20 Frames. (50 tests) using http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime
Reacting to four stimuli: Average of 30 Frames. (60 tests) using http://reactiontraining.herokuapp.com/

This means if I'm tech-chasing on reaction that I will on average react in 30 frames with a button press. Meaning if a Fox or Falco techs in place, I'm only gonna have enough time to jab, and there will even be times where I'm too slow and he can shine right after his tech-in place.

I'm a little sad that I'm just really slow to reacting in general. I don't know if I can improve on this because its pure reaction and pure reaction is pretty genetic and hard to change. Makes me think that tech-chasing on reaction (as any character) is useless for me if my opponent techs in place. :(

Divinokage

Smash Legend
So I ran some tests today on my pure reaction to stimuli and I found some interesting (and kind of depressing) results:
Reacting to one stimuli: Average of 20 Frames. (50 tests) using http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime
Reacting to four stimuli: Average of 30 Frames. (60 tests) using http://reactiontraining.herokuapp.com/

This means if I'm tech-chasing on reaction that I will on average react in 30 frames with a button press. Meaning if a Fox or Falco techs in place, I'm only gonna have enough time to jab, and there will even be times where I'm too slow and he can shine right after his tech-in place.

I'm a little sad that I'm just really slow to reacting in general. I don't know if I can improve on this because its pure reaction and pure reaction is pretty genetic and hard to change. Makes me think that tech-chasing on reaction (as any character) is useless for me if my opponent techs in place. :(
You techchase with prediction which improves your reaction time when you have more xp how to cover options. You can also train your eye for visual cues when they tech or no tech. Once you've done it a million times then its easy.

Last edited:

Bwmat

Smash Ace
I got 343ms avg on the first one.

How do you do the second one? It's randomly 'freezing' at the point where fox hits the ground and then skipping to the 'you lose' part :(

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
I got 343ms avg on the first one.

How do you do the second one? It's randomly 'freezing' at the point where fox hits the ground and then skipping to the 'you lose' part :(
You might have to do it on a different browser because it could be lagging. That happened to me too and when I used Chrome it didn't lag.

tm

Smash Ace
@ X WaNtEd X X WaNtEd X It sounds to me like you're afraid of losing with Ganon, that you're afraid of failure. As much as it sounds difficult to do, you really should play Ganon in all circumstances, even if you feel like you're going to lose with him. If you want to be better with Ganon at all times, then you need to nail down what goes on in tournament with him that causes you to lose. You can't go in there having the feeling that your Ganon is bad and that your Marth and Zelda will do the trick. What you're doing here is avoiding failure that will help you to improve. Failure is an important part of learning and improving, cause it's a direct case of showing what went wrong and exactly where you can improve upon. You have to tackle this problem head on instead of just whisking away another win for the sake of winning. Remember that this game is about learning and having fun, if you're too concentrated on the win than you're not gonna improve very rapidly. It's just another loss at the end of the day really, so what if you lost to someone that's worse than you? That shouldn't be what's on your mind. You need to just focus on yourself and improving yourself. Don't let things like what other people think of you if you lose to this person or that person get to you. Don't let any outside factors influence you to do something different.

I would suggest for the next tournament, that you only play Ganon, and force yourself to only play Ganon, if that's the character you truly want to be really good with. I had this character crisis too dude, and I learned that you have to push through and keep going because there's always room for improvement. Basically, when you choose to play as Marth or Zelda, you're essentially giving up on improving with your main in that moment, and that really hinders on your improvement as a player, you're sacrificing a chance to learn something about yourself and your character in the long run in exchange for a quick win in the short run. You might feel like the training that you're doing isn't paying off, but trust me, it is. And maybe you're not completely training the correct way? Maybe you're just auto-pilot spamming tech skill all over the place when you practice by yourself? If this is so, I really suggest you watch the Smash Practice Episode 1 where Cactuar and Zhu go over a proper Training Routine. I learned a good bit from it and I know you can too. If you really think you can't play well without doing crazy tech that you mentioned, then that's a mental barrier you need to get over. What was it that your opponent did a month ago to beat your Ganon? Did you just get frustrated that you lost to him because you thought he "figured you out"? How did he figure you out? You have to answer these question on your own and be excited to try again with Ganon if you meet him again in bracket, or if you figure out what he's doing, you can MM him, but only for the sake of learning about how you adapt or play.

It's a rough road man but you gotta embrace it, you gotta be willing to go all the way and you gotta be willing to fail now in order to succeed later. If you do end up failing, learn from it and use it for next time. You will get better over time if you make these mental changes, believe me.
This post, a lot. For everyone who has ever strongly considered CPing a certain matchup.

Sup guys, haven't been in lately. Anyway, went to a local on Saturday and won (again!), beating the #1 ranked player in our corner of ohio. Super hype to keep these results coming. I finally feel like I'm playing vs the player now, and I can get in their head and punish them hard to win, when before their strong fundamentals and superior options would be enough to beat my strong fundamentals and inferior options, lol.

Bwmat

Smash Ace
yeah, switching out to fox/falcon because I'm scared of trying it with ganon almost always doesn't work out for me. It's only when I do it to sandbag that I play well there lol.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Going off of what I said before about playing secondaries in tournament, I believe the only time it's acceptable to play a secondary in tournament is if you want to learn how to use that secondary in tournament. As long as your intention is to learn, even if it's with a different character, you can still improve.

At Olympus I think I'm going to try out playing some Marth in tournament to start developing him more. I believe he could be a strong secondary for me later on and I want to learn with him more. It would be a safe idea to try a new character out in tournament when you win the first game with your main. That way you have some leniency if you lose the second game with your secondary, because then for the third game you have a counterpick and you can (and should) go back to your main. If you win the second game with your secondary then more power to you, just make sure you learned something from it, about how that character works.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
What if they meteor cancel the dair? lol
Vs Falco.... he's dead.

Vs Fox.... If you're up a stock, DJ stomp their meteor cancel. Hell, do it when even in stocks for disrespect. And you can grab the ledge and invincible ledgehop uair if you don't want to suicide, I've done it.

But really, Fox dies almost every time. Do it.

The opportunity is not always there, but it is always a good option and Ganons should always be on the lookout for it.

BTW Jason you get my voicemail the other day? Call me bro

Last edited:

Tribulation

Smash Rookie
I have been having a lot of trouble with sheik, which I'm sure all Gaonons do, I'm hoping you can watch my match last Saturday and tell me what you see.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Reduce the amount of times you roll.

When you land a jab don't miss jc grabs, and know when not to go for a jc grab after a landed jab.

Remember that the hardest punish is (EDIT: USUALLY) grab. To say this is overlooked is the understatement of the century.

Don't get scared into your shield so often. I can't stress that enough. Stay mobile.

Be very selective of when you jump vs sheik. Use it as a bait, selectively, when you are very familiar with the range of her dash +sh fair approach.

Learn how to edgeguard sheik.

I watched up to 2:43

Last edited:

tm

Smash Ace
http://youtu.be/nVO79Oi273o

Guys. At 1:15..... whenever you reverse uair spike fox/falco, be ready for a free drop zone dair. This is a great option that is seriously always overlooked. Guaranteed KO.
Yes this is great. Do be careful though, fox can fall far enough before upBing that you have to drop into suicide range for the dair to hit (unless you are a spacing god and get it to trade with firefox). I believe he can even make it onstage while still being too low for you to dair and recover unless you trade. But at least keep them honest and just do it lol. Could try double jump dairing in that situation. I have yet to try it

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941

here's one of my matches lol

Don't let the thumbnail fool you I did go Ganon

Tips would be nice. I know my movement was super sloppy so you don't need to tell me that. Looking for advice on general strategy moreso than matchup specific things (though obviously I'm not opposed to any advice you can give).

Also interested in what you think of my recoveries. I thought I was doing alright in terms of having the right ideas, but if there's anything else you guys think I should be doing differently I'd love to hear it.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yes this is great. Do be careful though, fox can fall far enough before upBing that you have to drop into suicide range for the dair to hit (unless you are a spacing god and get it to trade with firefox). I believe he can even make it onstage while still being too low for you to dair and recover unless you trade. But at least keep them honest and just do it lol. Could try double jump dairing in that situation. I have yet to try it
Against Falco it's pure gold. And against Fox it works just as I outlined in my last post. I'll personally give you $5 for every time a Fox lives after the first dair. Bottom line, it's a great tactic. I've been telling people about it since 2010 but no one ever listened. It's in my old ass edgeguarding thread even, lol.

I think it took 5 years for ppl to start cc'ing the first hit of peach's dsmash and survival DI the second hit to get sent toward the middle of the stage and live (after I had previously mentioned it), lol. Glad to see people finally doing it and profiting.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I'm with lunacy on that one. No need for johns that vid is bada$s.

I swear that one stomp on Moltov (first stock, GF's) is one of the best I've ever seen. So much authority lol.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
This post, a lot. For everyone who has ever strongly considered CPing a certain matchup.
In my case, I'm straight up considering switching mains rather than trying to play two characters. Because I agree, it's much better to try to adapt than to be switching characters all the time at the mid levels.

Basically for me it's coming down to this:

Do I want to be good at this game?
Or do I want to be good with Ganon?
Do I still want to be good with Ganon even if it will cost me a lot more time than doing it with Marth or Zelda?
Do I care enough about smash to justify sacrificing a lot of hours maintaining a character when I can be just as good with characters that don't require nearly as much practice?

I'm still trying to figure out the answer to the third and fourth questions.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Well I don't know anyone else's reasons, but mine have always been obvious lol. It's to be considered one of the best Ganons around if not the absolute best. My drive is somewhat lost, cause I'm a bit older now, but my commitment towards the character and the game have always been strong. "No matter how big the mountain, it can always be climbed", it's a good quote, but it also something you'd have to want for yourself, Ganon not winning nationals may be discouraging, but Kage has come the closest I think, so it just proves that it can be done.

Only thing is now the competition is fiercer than it ever has been, but that just makes me want to try even harder with making improvements on the character's tech. I've always found that the more tools you have in your toolbox the much better off you'll be. The mental aspect just comes with time and experience as you guys already know. Also, there's nothing wrong with picking a secondary. I play Marth for super defensive players, Puff and Sheik, but if you really want to do well with Ganon you're going to have to put in the work. It's the best thing I could tell you @ X WaNtEd X X WaNtEd X

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
In my case, I'm straight up considering switching mains rather than trying to play two characters. Because I agree, it's much better to try to adapt than to be switching characters all the time at the mid levels.

Basically for me it's coming down to this:

Do I want to be good at this game?
Or do I want to be good with Ganon?
Do I still want to be good with Ganon even if it will cost me a lot more time than doing it with Marth or Zelda?
Do I care enough about smash to justify sacrificing a lot of hours maintaining a character when I can be just as good with characters that don't require nearly as much practice?

I'm still trying to figure out the answer to the third and fourth questions.
Just know that if you do switch mains, it will still be just as much work with the new character as it is with Ganon. There is no "less effort" that you put into Marth just because he's a better character. That's definitely not how it works.

Choose the character based off of who you understand the game through the best and who you have fun with. You have to enjoy everything about that character and accept their flaws and embrace the character. You can definitely be good at this game, you just need to put a lot of effort and time into it. You can definitely do it with Ganon. You shouldn't think about how much time it could take to get good with Ganon as compared with Marth or Zelda. You're thinking way too far ahead at that point and a lot can change in even just a month. Again, you're gonna be sacrificing a lot of hours to get good at this game regardless of the character you choose, so choose the character that you enjoy the most and do it.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
http://youtu.be/Q84aNrytS3g

Kage, great set vs Weon-x. Overall great play.

At 1:39, it's times like that when I feel the spacing on the uair is too demanding not to trade. Uair for sweetspots, bair **** like that.

Also @n0ne is easily one of my favorite falcons fuuuuhhhk
Thanks. =) I was watching and I definitely feel like I've got the necessary speed back to be a huge threat again against anyone. I almost beat Armada's Fox in PM if that says anything. Just need a little more... so close.

At the same time spacing the bair is pretty hard too I think because it happened often before where bair just didnt hit and went over it.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Spacing the bair hard? Lol. You usually don't have any problems edgeguarding with bair that I've seen. The important thing is not trading. If the reverse uair spike isn't a tipper it's likely to trade, which blows the ko opportunity.

Last edited:

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Renth, that vid was sick! And that moonwalk into up air on that falcon, my lord.

Kage, nice set vs. Weon-x. Kage, I think I know what you're saying... you jump too high and the bair goes just over the firefox? But the only time I ever go for the reverse up air spike now for the firefox is when it will hit off stage. That way if it does trade, they're far enough away that it won't matter. Other than that, I just bair and tilt.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Spacing the bair hard? Lol. You usually don't have any problems edgeguarding with bair that I've seen. The important thing is not trading. If the reverse uair spike isn't a tipper it's likely to trade, which blows the ko opportunity.
Right but just saying whiffing sucks ass. =P Ya like if you fail the fastfall or something.

@ spider_sense spider_sense The level may be a bit higher than it was but it's actually not as big of a difference than anyone thinks over the last maybe 2-3 years. It's probably because there's more top players to worry about which becomes increasingly difficult to win but the game itself hasn't changed that much. I always felt that with enough training you can beat anyone, even with Ganon.

Example, Falcon may have a better punish game and movement at top level and its really hard to deal with but at the same time it's on you then to get the sickest defense. Such as CCing first hit nair to grab, always get powershields to counter-attack and have the right spacing to not get combo started. I talked to Armada and he said that's the current future, powershielding everything and I agreed.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Hey I think renth may have put up a sick vid today, let me see if I can find it.....

LOL. worth watching more than twice. The punish at 0:50 is godly.

Top Bottom