• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Fox shine has better range, but it might work. Also fox and falco can jump in direction out of the first shine to get a little bit closer.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
No it does not work on Fox since his shine has more range. But in general, if you simply ASDI down and away when shielding approaches, you'll get a lot more grabs. Linguini has been doing it for like 8 years lol.

Last edited:

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Probably gonna be on stream today. I'll post the link when I know it

edit: here it is
http://www.twitch.tv/TheSmashingIllini

melee starts in a couple of hours. Feel free to tune in if you're bored today.
Yo Dave, does ASDI work? Really? I always thought you had to full on smash DI it for it to work like linguini does. If so, that's pretty cool.

Last edited:

Bwmat

Smash Ace
ganon is so good in pm 3.5 jeeze.

I don't even play pm outside of occasional tournaments, and I just wrecked yesterday, basically all the melee skill transfers over with him (except I always **** up the fall-through platform fair, always ff it for some reason).

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Probably gonna be on stream today. I'll post the link when I know it

edit: here it is
http://www.twitch.tv/TheSmashingIllini

melee starts in a couple of hours. Feel free to tune in if you're bored today.
Yo Dave, does ASDI work? Really? I always thought you had to full on smash DI it for it to work like linguini does. If so, that's pretty cool.
It's spacing dependent. I don't know all the specifics.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
No it does not work on Fox since his shine has more range. But in general, if you simply ASDI down and away when shielding approaches
ASDI (and specifically shield asdi, as you can only A/SSDI horizonally) doesn't work like trajectory di, to get the best result in this case you should A/SSDI full away.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
ASDI (and specifically shield asdi, as you can only A/SSDI horizonally) doesn't work like trajectory di, to get the best result in this case you should A/SSDI full away.
Dude I tell people what works. If you can help give better advice than me go for it, but all you do is knit-pick and correct people on technical bull**** which rarely helps newcomers. Linguini was at one point the best Ganon and I still feel that no one has surpassed his peak level. If he's been doing it wrong his whole smash career, I'm fine with being wrong. I already recommended full away for shield DI and always have. You should probably get off your keyboard for once and practice melee so that one day you won't be such a scrub.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
I played a set on stream and FINALLY won. Took long enough. AND I lost the first game due to controller malfunctions.

I'll link you guys when the VODs get uploaded to youtube or whatever. If the name of the video isn't edge guarding marth and tech chasing fox, I'm gonna be severely disappointed (hint: edge guarding marth = up air. That's it.).

Coastward

Smash Lord
guys i ****ing suck at melee LOL

@ Divinokage Divinokage is actually the best ganon, hands down. the **** i saw him pull off this weekend blows my mind.

i'm gonna post the videos of me, kage and n0ne tomorrow.

Bwmat

Smash Ace
I'M the best ganon, remember? Jeeze, keep it straight wouldja.

lol, anyway, I look forwards to those vids.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Tournament is over, so the video is on twitch. Here: http://www.twitch.tv/thesmashingillini/b/628564101?t=3h5m8s

If you're confused as to why I quit out of the first match: my controller wasn't listening to me- wavelanding was weird, it was jumping in odd places and up-b turned into fair somehow. Yea, idk.

At that point, I was frustrated and quit out of the match. I actually told Sizzle (my opponent) that he could just count that game as his win if he wanted, just because I DID quit out. Instead, he said just lose a stock because you paused it. Really stand up guy, so shoutouts to him for the sportsmanship.

In all, he won the re-hash of the first match anyway, so it didn't really matter whether or not he counted it as a win for him, but very kind of him to do so, nonetheless.

If anything, watch the last match of the set. I had a nice zero to death and an insulting tech chase and all on a fox on FD.

Also, LOL at the commentators thinking that I came all the way from Chicago. I go to U of I... am I really that inactive?

Bwmat

Smash Ace
damn, nice matches. I wish I could consistently do some of the stuff you were doing there.

I really need to get better at timing/spacing the tipman against marth.... I always get clipped by the sword.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
damn, nice matches. I wish I could consistently do some of the stuff you were doing there.

I really need to get better at timing/spacing the tipman against marth.... I always get clipped by the sword.
Thanks, man. I felt pretty good about my play today. Unfortunately, after playing these matches, I got back to back three stocked by a good falco player. I've beaten him before, so it's not a huge deal, but he really showed me that he's the better player today haha.

To practice the Eddie* spike ;), it's pretty simple. Plug in a controller to the second player socket and choose falcon. Take him to any stage (I like temple because of the ledge in the middle of the stage- no delay from the KO, faster practice) and grab the ledge.

Now, I say choose falcon because when he's grabbing the ledge, the only move that can get him off of the ledge is the reverse up air spike, so you have to use it and be more precise with it as opposed to, say, falco (his big ass head poked miles above the ledge).

Now, practice. Reverse up air until you hit him and then repeat until you can do it consistently. It's great because that's the EXACT timing you need to perfect it in an edge guard situation. When you do it right, you will never, ever, ever get hit by marth's up-b, unless he intentionally does it very early, which is punishable anyway because of the landing lag.

Man, I just rewatched those videos. I gotta say, my edge guarding has improved ten fold since December, which is when I last played. Funny how taking a break can significantly improve your game.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Don't forget the Marth killer when edgeguarding Marth (when you have enough time), and although it's best to practice the reverse uair spike like Joe said, dair is a decent mix up also.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
N0ne is definitely good at making you play on tilt or get you shook. I haven't played a really good Falcon in a long time which tricked me quite a bit i'd say for those edgeguards specifically. It's still my hardest part of the game in tournament play, I'll continue to train until i get it right. lol I definitely felt leveled up overall tho which is awesome. I almost beat Armada's Fox in PM as well, came really close game 3 and it mostly came down to being slightly more solid in my play. He's a monster in Fox dittos tho, wtf man.. I've never seen so many excellent Fox mains get JV4 and 4 stocked by him.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
guys i ****ing suck at melee LOL

@ Divinokage Divinokage is actually the best ganon, hands down. the **** i saw him pull off this weekend blows my mind.

i'm gonna post the videos of me, kage and n0ne tomorrow.
I'm happy you think so and I will keep training to keep my play even more solid than at Mcsmashter. I went for a little too many B move reads when let's say someone was too far away or not committed to anything before hand. Also my edgeguards in important bracket matches need to come together well.

I didn't make the cut? :p
More training! ;)

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
After taking a one month break from entering tournaments I came back to a tournament yesterday to enter and I feel like nothing changed and that I'm back at square one. I fall back into that place of "comfort" because I want to win and I get really mad at myself.

I need to have a different outlook on the game in general, cause every time I'm playing a "serious" match, I always fall back to things I'm comfortable with and I don't innovate, try anything new, or focus on just improving. I still care too much about winning and the end result. I need to play with more zen. I need to clear my mind and always be curious on how I can solve this problem or that problem, and be prepared for when it comes up again.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
After taking a one month break from entering tournaments I came back to a tournament yesterday to enter and I feel like nothing changed and that I'm back at square one. I fall back into that place of "comfort" because I want to win and I get really mad at myself.

I need to have a different outlook on the game in general, cause every time I'm playing a "serious" match, I always fall back to things I'm comfortable with and I don't innovate, try anything new, or focus on just improving. I still care too much about winning and the end result. I need to play with more zen. I need to clear my mind and always be curious on how I can solve this problem or that problem, and be prepared for when it comes up again.
That is incorrect, you have to do things you trained for in order to get the best results and yes sometimes you have to go balls deep to get the W but it's not always the case. It always depends on what your opponent is trying to do and you have to read him accordingly. Vwins told me he lost because he went all in on an edgeguard he thought would work because the opponent hasnt recovered a certain way and he thought for sure this time he would recover that way but he didnt and payed for it. Sometimes you get rewarded though.

If you want to break to the next level then you have to continuously pay attention how you won and lost every single game. You can never dismiss anything even if you 4 stock a player because there's always little things to learn more. You have to stop focusing on winning but instead focus on what's happening on screen because that will give you the win a lot more consistently than having random thoughts in your head about ending your opponent quickly. Discard the unnecessary thoughts, be confident in your play and level up. It's really the only way to become great.

Those "serious" matches will always happen in tournament but what will you do about it? Id suggest going at one opponent at a time and try to read his habits when he's knocked down, when he's free to move, when he's recovering. Those are the 3 phases super important everyone needs to understand very badly.

I mean your mindset is your own doing, how you see every match or the world is directly affected how your mind is currently behaving. Whenever I play, I try to smile and keep a light attitude because we are smashing at the end of the day and it's ****ing great playing anybody and punching their faces. lol Why should I stress over trying to place well when i'm not even there yet, you know what i mean? If i go one at a time then I can have a battle conversation with my opponent and also just a regular one during the set because that's how I'm able to maintain a good mindset overall. I shake it off whenever I can and a new stock = a whole new adventure since if Im able to get strong reads then just a few seconds im able to get back the lead if im down.

Last edited:

Duel

Smash Apprentice
That is incorrect, you have to do things you trained for in order to get the best results and yes sometimes you have to go balls deep to get the W but it's not always the case. It always depends on what your opponent is trying to do and you have to read him accordingly. Vwins told me he lost because he went all in on an edgeguard he thought would work because the opponent hasnt recovered a certain way and he thought for sure this time he would recover that way but he didnt and payed for it. Sometimes you get rewarded though.

If you want to break to the next level then you have to continuously pay attention how you won and lost every single game. You can never dismiss anything even if you 4 stock a player because there's always little things to learn more. You have to stop focusing on winning but instead focus on what's happening on screen because that will give you the win a lot more consistently than having random thoughts in your head about ending your opponent quickly. Discard the unnecessary thoughts, be confident in your play and level up. It's really the only way to become great.

Those "serious" matches will always happen in tournament but what will you do about it? Id suggest going at one opponent at a time and try to read his habits when he's knocked down, when he's free to move, when he's recovering. Those are the 3 phases super important everyone needs to understand very badly.

I mean your mindset is your own doing, how you see every match or the world is directly affected how your mind is currently behaving. Whenever I play, I try to smile and keep a light attitude because we are smashing at the end of the day and it's ****ing great playing anybody and punching their faces. lol Why should I stress over trying to place well when i'm not even there yet, you know what i mean? If i go one at a time then I can have a battle conversation with my opponent and also just a regular one during the set because that's how I'm able to maintain a good mindset overall. I shake it off whenever I can and a new stock = a whole new adventure since if Im able to get strong reads then just a few seconds im able to get back the lead if im down.
Well, this was some great advice, thank you.

Coastward

Smash Lord
Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
I'm actually really happy that Ganondorf got a lot of exposure on the stream for McSmashster 4. The character brings the hype and I love it when a crowd gets hype.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Is kage your husband
LOLLL n0ne, I'm sorry we didn't get to chill more at big house. We shoulda drank or something.

I'm actually really happy that Ganondorf got a lot of exposure on the stream for McSmashster 4. The character brings the hype and I love it when a crowd gets hype.
So true. Ganon on stream = the loudest cheers, no matter how good / bad the player. When I got that triple down smash combo yesterday, the venue erupted, and there were only ~15 people left. It sounded like a mad house.

In other news, the torch has been passed. pimp2king is now my avatar. I will play any of you at EVO, if I'm able to attend, in a best of five match for the rights to the avatar.

Thanks to @ -ACE- -ACE- for the hand down and reppin' old (very old) school Chi town.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
LOLLL n0ne, I'm sorry we didn't get to chill more at big house. We shoulda drank or something.

So true. Ganon on stream = the loudest cheers, no matter how good / bad the player. When I got that triple down smash combo yesterday, the venue erupted, and there were only ~15 people left. It sounded like a mad house.

In other news, the torch has been passed. pimp2king is now my avatar. I will play any of you at EVO, if I'm able to attend, in a best of five match for the rights to the avatar.

Thanks to @ -ACE- -ACE- for the hand down and reppin' old (very old) school Chi town.
Great now I'm going to think you're @ -ACE- -ACE- every time you post

Bwmat

Smash Ace
Today I Learned I have an average reaction time of 294ms or 30 frames.

Dear god help me ;____;
welp, I don't even want to know mine, I'm sure it's terrible.

it's amazing how much of it is prediction over reaction.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Reaction time is very important.

I watched those matches, lol. I feel like kage and n0ne could take a page from each other's playbook and be a lot better. Nice exhibition match though, plenty of hype.

Top Bottom