• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Renth

Smash Hero
Please for the love of god let's have a ganon RR. Nothing would make my weekend better then getting to play sets vs all the ganondorf players I've been stalking for the past few months.

Gladly, like I said. we can do it for funsies.

Find whomever wants to do it and find me. I'll be the sexy ganondorf stomping the crew battle

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Hey guys. Had a Ladder Match last night with a Falcon friend that goes to my school. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xgkKmYGTYY

I feel like I did pretty alright up until the last game, where I started to choke and panic. I'd like a bit of critique on this as I feel like I've improved in this matchup but I also made some rather poor decisions.

@ PseudoTurtle PseudoTurtle you're good with the Falcon matchup right? Any pointers?

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Damn Locke, you got pretty good. Good stuff.

You actually seem to have a pretty good grasp on the matchup, so the critique will be pretty limited. A few things I see off the bat that you need to work on:

Work on your edge guards. They weren't too bad, but you couldn't quite get that eddie / tipman spike you were looking for. Basically, if the falcon recovered low, he recovered safely... Falcon should never recover safely.

Work on your DI. You died at like 80% from a reverse knee. That shouldn't happen. He edge guarded you properly (aka wait until you get on stage and then knee you back off), but you can DI that up and recover.

Also, recover from the ledge more safely. You were punished a lot on the ledge and I think you should have stalled more / thrown in some empty RLD's.

10:22, when you're recovering and he's just chilling on the ledge like that, up air the **** out of him. It can be unsafe, but he did this before. It'll stage spike and he dies.

Overall good stuff, nice tech chases etc.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Oh and a lot of his nairs were timed poorly, so they weren't safe on shield. You could have shield grabbed. I like that you didn't go for it because it shows that you've disciplined yourself not to (took me forever...), but learning the matchup and knowing when it's ok to shield grab is important in my opinion. Grabs win matches vs falcon.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Oh and a lot of his nairs were timed poorly, so they weren't safe on shield. You could have shield grabbed. I like that you didn't go for it because it shows that you've disciplined yourself not to (took me forever...), but learning the matchup and knowing when it's ok to shield grab is important in my opinion. Grabs win matches vs falcon.
Yeah I've been conditioned to not shield grab him cause he pretty much always jabs and does a gentleman right after he lands from a nair on my shield. I try to go for the upair spike more cause I know that just destroys Falcon recovering low, but maybe it would be better to just grab the ledge. Though I hate it when it just barely makes it back on from that, but I guess I always gotta plan ahead. I know what options I have on the ledge vs Falcon, I just wasn't paying attention to what Falcon was looking for me to do. I feel like I could have done more tech traps as well. I know I can beat Libner, I just tend to still get nervous when I'm on that last game. **** sucks. Thanks for the advice though, I appreciate it :)

Renth

Smash Hero
I got 16th lost to porkchops and uuaa. I lost to uuaa in bracket after beating him in pools.

#whatajoke

GanonMaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dragmirejr
DAMN, I just got home from DrømmeLAN, and my smashsenses has gotten about 538 times better than they were beforehand...

Right now I am thinking f*ck ganon against the top tiers except Marth and maybe Falcon/Fox. I find it a lot more enjoyable to play with Peach in those mu's, and my Peach has gotten so much better this weekend lol. Ganon will still remain as my love in life, and the time as maining him has been superfun, but I think this is the time to main Peach and use Ganon as a secondary!

also, Ganon RR on Apex would be hype yo. Gonna rek y'all ;)

Renth

Smash Hero
I realized my smash-stamina is very poor. Before the event I mentally prepare and it's go time I feel great I play strong.

few hours into an event I become more and more gimmick-master. I feel like i'm just pressing buttons without thinking about the game at all. Worst than auto pilot imo, cause I didn't feel anything while playing. I felt like a zombie randomly wavelanding and back airing with no adaption, match up knowledge or pace.

Tournaments just might not be for me.

Renth

Smash Hero
I fall victim to that also. Well maybe a mixture of auto-pilot and putting fun over focus.
It was like an out-of-body experience. I felt like I wasn't there, Ganondorf requires you to be on point the entire event or you just get wrecked. I don't think I can handle the pressure my friends

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
@ Renth Renth when the tournament started, did you only play tournament matches at that point? Cause if you were playing friendlies in between each tournament match then I can see why you got burned out so easily.

Renth

Smash Hero
@ Renth Renth when the tournament started, did you only play tournament matches at that point? Cause if you were playing friendlies in between each tournament match then I can see why you got burned out so easily.
I played a lot of friendlies yes, many people at events come up to me and ask me to play.

I get this way when i play a lot. After awhile its like i'm not there and i'm just doing it. This causes me to make careless decisions while playing.

Ganondorf requires you to be on point or you just get 3 stocked. Like I said, I don't think I can mentally handle long events even more so higher level brackets.

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
I played a lot of friendlies yes, many people at events come up to me and ask me to play.

I get this way when i play a lot. After awhile its like i'm not there and i'm just doing it. This causes me to make careless decisions while playing.

Ganondorf requires you to be on point or you just get 3 stocked. Like I said, I don't think I can mentally handle long events even more so higher level brackets.
Sounds to me like you got burned out on friendlies in between tournament matches. Don't do that. You just experienced what happens when you do that, so why not next tournament just play tournament matches until you are out? That way you preserve your energy better by taking breaks. And if people still want to play you, it can be after you're out of the tournament.

Renth

Smash Hero
It's hard whenever brackets run slow so you play like two matches then have to wait two hours then play two matches then wait two hours -repeat

Hana Na Tahou

Smash Apprentice
Finished 13th out of 19 in the Monthly. Beat a Marth, got wrecked by a Falcon, lost a VERY close set to a G&W cause i didn't think out the first match (it's not a common matchup here at all, so i was unfamiliar i suppose but that's my fault). Hopefully at my next event, i'll do better.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
How well do you think you guys could do if the only attacks you could use are upair, bair, jab, grab, up-b, and down-b? I feel like if you only use these six moves it does limit some of Ganon's killing power, but then you change your style enough to where you have to adapt to this restriction of just using these moves. I want to experiment with it a bit and see how far it gets me.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
You have to play 100% on point with ganon to not get ****ed up. Agreed completely. At smym I kind of just gave up mentally (and then legitimately forfeited after) because it just isn't reasonable to run a regional and have both PM and melee in one day when you rely on people bringing setups. Smashers are lazy, they don't necessarily want to bring them. The only way a PM + melee regional (or any tournament with 150+ people) can work is if it's in a gaming venue like VS or EXP with CRTs already set up to speed up the process.

Caps, limiting your move choice IMO seems like it will just teach you to ONLY use those moves. Yea, I know dair is a high risk / high reward move in place of bair (sometimes), but full hop stomp is fantastic and sometimes safer than bair, like when falcon SHFFLs a move behind you into raptor boost. Falcon's side b will eat your bair, but a full hop stomp will beat the raptor boost and even if he doesn't side b, it's pretty safe. Just an example.

And what about tilts? Ftilt and d tilt are amazing moves. Most new players have trouble because they spam aerials instead of walling out with tilts. If you practice without the option to tilt, that's an incredibly bad habit you're looking to form.

Dave, taunting only in a match is fine, but it's pretty useless (or undervalued) unless you complement taunts with up tilts and warlock punches.

And WF spikes.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
@ PseudoTurtle PseudoTurtle I was thinking of doing this for at least a little bit because I feel like I fair, tilt, and do other laggy moves a bit too often and I forget that Ganon just has a faster and better move for the situation. Maybe in neutral it's better to not use laggy moves or something, but I tried ti out a little today and there were some moments where I really wanted to ftilt but I chose not to and instead went for a quick upair.

Also, I have a problem vs my room mate who is now playing Falcon more, and that's when I want to run away from him, his nair more often than not catches me in the air. I want to outspace his nair so that I can immediately bair or grab him, but I guess I'm not remembering just how far Falcon can go with that nair. Ganon being slow doesn't help much either.

GanonMaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dragmirejr
Finished 13th out of 19 in the Monthly. Beat a Marth, got wrecked by a Falcon, lost a VERY close set to a G&W cause i didn't think out the first match (it's not a common matchup here at all, so i was unfamiliar i suppose but that's my fault). Hopefully at my next event, i'll do better.
Well G&W mu is superweird, it usually takes me a game or 2 to get used to it lol

tm

Smash Ace
Just got back from Shuffle VI, did fairly well, tying for 7th. I lost to Prince Abu and Jiano, both 1-2. A couple of my sets were streamed here but I don't know if there's any way to retrieve the videos.
Bracket

Coastward

Smash Lord
got 9th in melee and 7th in pm with ganon

@n0ne put me in losers in melee and took me out in pm, feels bad. shoulda chaingrabbed.

VODs will be up later.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
It was like an out-of-body experience. I felt like I wasn't there, Ganondorf requires you to be on point the entire event or you just get wrecked. I don't think I can handle the pressure my friends
Lol I can relate to that. That's kinda what I'm going through in Street Fighter. I had all these ideas from watching vids and all that good stuff then about 20-30 games in, I lose focus and go back to horrible habits then I can't get the engine rolling anymore. Ahh the road to the top... Fun stuff.

So the only thing you can really do in this case is continue to try to be conscious while you fight at all times and continue to be aware of what's happening on screen. Grind your engine until it can run for a looonngg time.

Last edited:

Hana Na Tahou

Smash Apprentice
Just got back from Shuffle VI
That's that thing i was forgetting to go do X3 Oops. But all the blah blah, When i asked if there were any OH Ganons, you were like the only person other than FedEx that was mentioned X3 But 7th is really good.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Good stuff tm.

I tied for 33rd in Melee at Kings of the North III out of 168 entrants. I lost to this Peach player in losers; I was getting sniped out of my recovery with turnips a lot. In winners I lost to M2K.

Before the set started he asked whether or not we agreed to chaingrabs, as he obviously chose Sheik. To play it smart, I said no. I took a stock off him both games, which I thought was an accomplishment. After I lost, I asked him if he had ever lost to a Ganon in tournament. He thought about it for a second, and said he barely lost to Eddie at this tournament called GS2 in 2005, 4 months after he started playing competitively.

Makes sense.

@ PseudoTurtle PseudoTurtle , why didn't you show man? We would've been in the same pool together. I got first seed because it was only me and two other guys in the pool. The other guy got a flat tire on the way there.

Renth

Smash Hero
Lol I can relate to that. That's kinda what I'm going through in Street Fighter. I had all these ideas from watching vids and all that good stuff then about 20-30 games in, I lose focus and go back to horrible habits then I can't get the engine rolling anymore. Ahh the road to the top... Fun stuff.

So the only thing you can really do in this case is continue to try to be conscious while you fight at all times and continue to be aware of what's happening on screen. Grind your engine until it can run for a looonngg time.
Thank you. I need a good grinding for sure

Top Bottom