• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
So Renth and I will be streaming tomorrow around 12pm or close after, feel free to tune in for Ganon dittos, random friendlies, shenanigans, tomfoolery, and critical analysis of BH4 matches/sets. Suggestions are welcome.

Link is twitch.tv/lunacy_renth
So I'm pretty sure Mark and I will critique TM vs zanguzen when we play tomorrow. Any other matches, toss them our way and we'll do what we can.

tm

Smash Ace
Then the next level would be to stop worrying about yourself so much and focus on your opponent a lot more. Find people's habits after you perform a move or try to see what they want to do if they are cornered or in the middle of the stage. Everyone has patterns which means you should already know how to punish every single move in the game with every move. You have to know exactly what Fair can punish and what it sucks against. Meaning that I personally practiced these things A LOT, like telling my friend to do Fox SH nair only then FH nair then DJ nair. All different timings then I tried to apply like WD back grab, CC jab, dash away pivot ftilt or jab, back jump Fair so eventually i know exactly how to do it, it was just a matter of doing it in the heat of the moment which was much harder obviously. But then that's where the habits come in. You can see it when they jump after doing it so many times, i dont really have to commit to anything, i just need to be spaced correctly so i do not get hit.

So for habits, well it was a combination of all that training + knowing exactly what they want. Like at "that" spacing, do they like to jump and Nair/Bair? Do they like to DD? Laser? Go on platforms? Shield? Theres not that many options, it's all about where they are. When they are cornered, its highly likely they will take defensive options.. in the middle they will likely try to bait you with a dashdance then attack you. Knowing that, I can bait them instead and make them whiff attacks.. then it would be my turn to gain the middle stage.
This is godlike advice. Who did you train with and worked through all that with you?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
You ever played Zang kage?
Ya I beat him 2-0 pretty handily, slow Falcos are pretty easy and I have plenty of xp with old school styles. =P He must have gotten better from Apex though.

This is godlike advice. Who did you train with and worked through all that with you?
Well mainly with Chester, Pkm, Vwins and Bam for top level training and when recurring situations happened I made note of it in my head. That's why I can do usually advanced things while fighting an opponent rather than just doing tech skills alone. This is also months/years of observation of what I can punish, what is more risky to do and what can't punish certain moves. My first realization of spacing is when Chester would play Link vs me then would forward jump Nair me a lot and I kept getting hit because I jumped too late. So instead he taught me to predict that move instead then do a back jump Fair to punish it. I also remember clearly when they were saying I was noob for rolling from the ledge everytime and getting hit there so I had to find another alternative for mix-ups forcibly. Then i started to jump from the ledge doing uair or just jump on stage into a tilt/jab for example depending on how they want to attack me. From there, I tried to make note of everything happening to me, good and bad. I never really took notes on a book but it was always mental notes until I got it right. The same principle applies in Street Fighter with footsies, the same move can be punished in multiple ways, you just have to find it then calculate the risk/reward of that particular move.

Then of course came the tournaments where everything you practiced is on the line and also the boards too of course. These little tricks you Ganons have came in handy little by little until I really understood how to use it correctly.

Last edited:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Good stuff man, what tourney? Oh I see now Apex.

And how does he differ from Bam??
Hmm.. Bam is way smarter and punishes every single thing I try to do to him.. He's in my head every ****ing game!! He's also better overall, he placed 13th at Apex I think? That's pretty sick.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
One more thing I feel like it's important to add is that kind of method I used to get better did work for me because I understood my own qualities. I know I have really good memory and when I keep grinding someday everything will come together then it will make perfect sense which is why my level skyrocketed all of a sudden these years ago way ahead of everybody else at least in Canada. So it's really up to you to find your own methods in improvement, it isn't just grinding, it's conscious decision making and observations.

For PP, he studied vids extensively, wrote notes, memorized it.. kept watching.. etc. So much of doing that, that is his method and he grew insanely good. Finding your strength and weakness as a person will help you a lot in this.

Renth

Smash Hero
Sorry about the stream, it was just messed up.

Been playing Linguini and Ace for awhile. Might make a short cool stuff that happened compilation.

GanonMaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dragmirejr
I actually feel that swaging is an important part of the Ganon Meta, as long as you keep it serious. if you swagkill your opponent I'm 90% sure they'll feel rekt on the inside and really wanna sit down and cry a little.

btw, here, have some low level ganon footage. Gonna pracc like crazy tomorrow so Tips would be appreciated.

EDIT: Game 1 and 3 is ganon, went Peach for Sheik game 2 lel

Last edited:

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to take the dr PP approach and take notes of what i am doing and what my opponent is doing. Also watching damage percents is important. Going to try to think steps ahead of my opponent. "What would Falco Do?" Lol

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Watching the stream with Ace and Renth. It honestly warmed my heart to hear these guys talk about Ace's controller LOL.

"It's a new controller"

"It feels weird man..."

"I like it" LOL then Ace goes onto talk about what's app.

Wish I could have been there, but one day.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Also kage i want to come play you!
Well there should a MTL tournament soon enough and also I should come by Toronto before Apex as well. =)

I skimmed the stream a little bit with the dittos, didn't see enough upthrow follow ups.. lol Also I was surprised Fair and Bair beat upward ftilt somehow.. Maybe bad timing?

Also I agree watching the % is pretty important, people's habits change depending on damage because they will look for different setups and also you should always know the best setups on the current % too to maximize damage. Then the mindgames come in where you know he's going to for more aerials or moves at lower-mid% then **** him up.

Last edited:

Renth

Smash Hero
Okay so.

I don't know if it'd be beneficial to actually upload the "matches" between. Ace, Linguini and Myself. 90% of the matches were us trying to style on each other and taking each match very not seriously. I am going to make a quick cool OMFG things that happened while Ace was here tho. Linguini got like 1 match recorded anyway and it was not really anything special. Let me make up this compilation video and I'll dig through my sets with Ace and try to pick out some "good" matches from it.

I apologize we didn't get to critique the matches we wanted to. We were just .. having way too much fun.

Also, The Eikel-Drop no longer exists. -Ace- and I have declared every single thing Ganondorf does is now forever the "Kage Bomb" Down Air ~> tech chase OoOoo you're getting Kage Bombed son! and so on.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
i tuned in for the stream earlier on. like the first 10 minutes to about 30-45 or so. it was pretty entertaining. best part was when renth down-b'd ace for the game or something disrespectful offstage and ace is just like "i thought we were friends"

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Niiiice. What about those dash attack/side-B shenanigans?? Animated gif?

Edit: forgot, stream wasn't good during that. I should have moonwalked more lol, most of my KO's were boring (tipman spike to dair, however many times mark meteor canceled lol).

I also reverse uair spiked Renth and got walltech bair'd. You don't see that every day.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I loved that twisted version of the unholy combo (2nd to last clip). Mark wins the exchange vs my Usmash CLEAN and reverse WF spike. Lol bodayyyd.

Unholy combo is any dair to WF spike.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Down smash is so underrated. Amazing tech chase coverage options too.

Coast, that combo at the end was so good, you were so close. Just had to finish him off and you would have had it. I would recommend just d-ftilt instead of that dsmash, but maybe you were going for it and it was just a tech flub.

Coastward

Smash Lord
Down smash is so underrated. Amazing tech chase coverage options too.

Coast, that combo at the end was so good, you were so close. Just had to finish him off and you would have had it. I would recommend just d-ftilt instead of that dsmash, but maybe you were going for it and it was just a tech flub.
it was a tech flub, my controller was being weird as **** that day.

Top Bottom