• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Coastward

Smash Lord
so i had an interesting conversation with someone from my scene and i wanna ask you guys the same thing i was asked.

"what are your goals with ganondorf? what do you mainly want to achieve, or what are you looking into when trying to improve yourself?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I always wanted to help newcomers to ganondorf become a legit Ganon player in little time. I like seeing Ganon's enter and place high, and I wanted to minimize the amount of people that try Ganon, get bodied (and either blame it on the character or submit that it would take to much effort to become high level), and quit, by sharing everything I've come to realize about this game, and make that info readily available to anyone.

As a player, I don't really have goals. Just have fun and try to learn as I go.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
so i had an interesting conversation with someone from my scene and i wanna ask you guys the same thing i was asked.

"what are your goals with ganondorf? what do you mainly want to achieve, or what are you looking into when trying to improve yourself?
From the very beginning, it was always about achieving the impossible. I wanted to be best with a subpar character after pushing through eventually it happened.. so now.. My new goals have to be the best player ever but that's even harder, hehe. ;)

tm

Smash Ace
@ RedmanSSBM RedmanSSBM , we´re in the same pool for big house

EDIT: posted too late lol.

Can u guys lemme know which of my oponents i should be wary of? i have no knowledge of them. Im up agains
Duck, Lilo, Archon, qwetroop, The longest fall, Azzucips, Cat Daddy and Caps Locke
Duck is the best player in MI, one of the best in midwest. He plays Samus. He's patient and calculating, not too agressive or impulsive. He's not crazy about missiles, which is good for you, unless he decides that he really wants to win lol. Not much advice that I can give you from my experience playing him because he's out of my league.

@ n0ne n0ne I've never heard of anyone else besides vaccine, a decent sheik player from what I know. I'll be extremely disappointed if I don't make it out of pools...

Tm, you've played him before, right? I need sheik tips like none other. It's my worst matchup besides maybe peach. Give me advice! What does he do? What are his habits like?
lol, Vaccine is extremely good (probably 2nd best in MI, could possibly be best if he invested himself into the game, but his tournament attendance is very weak). He mained falco for a very long time, took a hiatus and came back with Sheik after plateauing and not being able to beat Duck for a long time (beat him with Sheik upon his return). He has an extremely solid Falco, Fox, Sheik, and Marth, and is very good at the MU. He probably has the highest 4-stock rate of anyone vs me. No idea who he will be playing, but good luck.

You also have JMOAN. Let me tell you, losing to this guy felt like the worst loss I've ever had. There are 2 things that this guy is good at: needle camping, and chaingrabbing. Never approached me once in our set, and he didn't drop the CG either. I don't even think his fundamentals are that good, but I overextended enough times that I couldn't make up for it. Don't get grabbed. If there's any player that you might want to CP against, this could be him lol.

Im pool b14 . Any big names or known players?
Prof Pro is probably really good, although I haven't seen much of his melee.
Voorhese is basically CT ZeRo jr., really annoying playstyle. He will laser you, and he will drillshine upsmash you.

Damn, Hanky + Eikellman + Gravy. RIP everyone else in that pool.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
my goals with ganon are to advance his tech. i believe the top ganons are not playing him close enough to his technical limits. my short term goals as a player are to start becoming relevant in my region and as a ganon player in general just because i love ganon so much. in terms of improving myself i've spent quite a bit of time working my tech skill. specifically shield drops out of dash, regular shield drops, pivots, edge cancels from various positions, and wavelands.

tm

Smash Ace
Also, **** the fact that fox can roll into ganon and shine his ftilt lag. Ftilt. Seriously, I'm not even allowed to ftilt in neutral without eating shine upsmash?

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
@ RedmanSSBM RedmanSSBM , we´re in the same pool for big house

EDIT: posted too late lol.

Can u guys lemme know which of my oponents i should be wary of? i have no knowledge of them. Im up agains
Duck, Lilo, Archon, qwetroop, The longest fall, Azzucips, Cat Daddy and Caps Locke
Duck is the Toronto slayer. You're ****ed, sorry :(

spider_sense

Smash Champion
@Blea Gelo - Yeah man, I definitely hate you. :/ Never liked plumbers to begin with.

The Author is really good, he's got a lot of experience in the Ganon mu, and he's a good friend of mine so I hope he does very well at BH. Anybody else know what their pool is looking like?

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Well, apparently, it looks like I'm gonna get sheiked. So there's that.

**** and now it looks like Crimson Blur is in my pool. See you guys in bracket next year

edit: wait he plays Marth. This might be doable.

more edits (I have grade A insomnia): watched some videos and he's beatable if I play well. Probably near my level actually. My game plan is to focus on beating him (forget the sheiks, they're probably gonna win), get third seed, and hope for an easy ass pool for round 2 pools... lol.

@ Bizzarro Flame Bizzarro Flame I'm sure you've played him a few times. Any habits? Things I should watch out for?
@ spider_sense spider_sense I also have a guy names Saab in my pool. Apparently he's from FL. Have you heard of him?

Last edited:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well, apparently, it looks like I'm gonna get sheiked. So there's that.

**** and now it looks like Crimson Blur is in my pool. See you guys in bracket next year

edit: wait he plays Marth. This might be doable.

more edits (I have grade A insomnia): watched some videos and he's beatable if I play well. Probably near my level actually. My game plan is to focus on beating him (forget the sheiks, they're probably gonna win), get third seed, and hope for an easy *** pool for round 2 pools... lol.

@ Bizzarro Flame Bizzarro Flame I'm sure you've played him a few times. Any habits? Things I should watch out for?
@ spider_sense spider_sense I also have a guy names Saab in my pool. Apparently he's from FL. Have you heard of him?
Don't get owned by his Buster blader. lol. If you lose to him.... I dont know what to say.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Lmao TheCrimsonFraud. Just bair him and edgeguard him. Don't forget shield SDI/ASDI grabs vs marth when he fairs you (can work with nair too), uair OOS between sh double fairs, and wd oos on shielded fsmash like you said before.

Also duck is really good. GL n0ne I'll be rooting for you.

Professor pro is also good.

Last edited:

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Yea lol I think I got this. My marth game is solid, I'm not sure what I'm even worried about.

I'm not good at shield sdi, but it seems like he just sh double fairs, like, all the time. Uair city.

I'll be the first ganon to punish his fsmash on shield though :troll:

Yea wtf am I talking about lmao ripples marth is so much better and I don't even consistently lose to that anymore. I'm making it out of pools. I was legitimately scared just because I knew his name... nothing about his play. Where the **** is my confidence. I know I'm good.

Last edited:

Coastward

Smash Lord
i've been watching videos of sung and rula for 2 days straight LOLLLL

the grind is real right now, i wanna make it out so badddddddddddd.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Hit either the c-stick or the directional-stick in the direction you want to move. Use quarter-circle DI to get the most movement.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah, if you use the regular stick to input a direction DURING shieldstun, you will travel farther in that direction than you would have just holding it the whole time (ASDI only). Some situations call for you to make some extra space (admittedly not a lot) and that's where SDI is necessary, it completely depends on how well very they've spaced their approach on you.

And to expand on what Superspright said about quarter circle DI, he means going above/below one of the 4 cardinal directions. If you twitch the stick back and forth over one of these axes, you will get additional SDI inputs in whatever direction you're holding the frame after you cross it. But that's pretty demanding, I almost always just go for 1 input.

Last edited:

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Thanks fellas, it's tough because you have to input the direction only slightly so you don't roll.

tm

Smash Ace
Thanks fellas, it's tough because you have to input the direction only slightly so you don't roll.
actually that's not right; if you only input it slightly then you will SDI only slightly as well. You want to smash the stick over while you are in shield stun, and if you time it right you won't roll because you can't roll while in shield stun.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
It really doesn't matter who's in your pool from the point where they chose their character. If you know what to do in every matchup then at this point, all you gotta do is win. If you lack any tricks then it can get pretty tough for no reason, that's why players struggle a lot, they miss all these little details. =P I say tricks as in all the tools you need to counter every move thrown possible.

I normally watch vids to see how they play generally because its really hard to determine how they will play against you specifically so you'll need to adapt on the spot. You can always punish depending on their positions, that will never change even if they are aggressive or defensive. Every single action can be punished, you have to remember that as Ganon in order to win the neutral effectively and quickly. At the same time, don't get caught jumping or wavelanding stupidly either when they are already ready. You have to be ready before their readiness lol.

Last edited:

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
actually that's not right; if you only input it slightly then you will SDI only slightly as well. You want to smash the stick over while you are in shield stun, and if you time it right you won't roll because you can't roll while in shield stun.
Ah that makes sense. I must be inputting it too late then.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
"You have to be ready for their readiness" LOL kage, you're funny mah dude. It still really great advice, I like the expression "I know that you know that I know that you know that I know"

Yo, so I don't know if this will help anyone since no one here plays other fighters at least to my knowledge (except Kage's Sagat)

But here's a 2 part video from James Chen about what you should be thinking during matches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePaAjTEJYh4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOw_mvwEyiM

Last edited:
Top Bottom