• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Superspright

Smash Lord
The Ganon that wins a national will be probably one of the best if not the best player on the planet at that moment. All the hurdles that he has to overcome to beat the top characters on every stage is pretty daunting.

Renth

Smash Hero
<33333 thanks jason! I'm so ****ing excited for apex. i want to meet every ganondorf player going there.

IF YOU'RE GOING TO APEX AND YOU SEE A TALL GUY IN A GREEN BOWSER HAT, INTRODUCE YOURSELF :bee:
*yawn* You'll stomp every Ganon player there ;)

dERO!

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps we should all rewrite the matchups again. I think most feel Ganon doesn't have the potential to win a tournament.
depends on the tournament too
I'm having a lot of trouble improving lately. I'm significantly better than the friends I can practice with, and I have them figured out for the most part, so they aren't challenging me to become better. In this situation, I try to work on being more creative and trying out new things, but progress is very slow. Despite this situation, when I go to tournaments I place very poorly or don't make it out of pools, and during friendlies with other more seasoned players, I don't seem to even be a challenge at all, and I get wrecked. It's hard to tell what I need to work on the most or how I can even work on something when getting beat that badly, and if I can improve these aspects of my game playing solo or with my friends.
play against them, space perfecly and they'll move on from shieldgrabbing =D

perfecting spacing is always good, try different points of view and mixups

( that's the word on the street )

Last edited:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I'm having a lot of trouble improving lately. I'm significantly better than the friends I can practice with, and I have them figured out for the most part, so they aren't challenging me to become better. In this situation, I try to work on being more creative and trying out new things, but progress is very slow. Despite this situation, when I go to tournaments I place very poorly or don't make it out of pools, and during friendlies with other more seasoned players, I don't seem to even be a challenge at all, and I get wrecked. It's hard to tell what I need to work on the most or how I can even work on something when getting beat that badly, and if I can improve these aspects of my game playing solo or with my friends.
You really need to break it down in each situations.. Like for example if you jumped and got hit, obviously you shouldn't have jumped in this case because you might've been too close to do it. Jumping with Ganon is risky because there's a lot of areas where you are open.. more so with him but this applies to all characters. Being in the air is generally only good if your opponent jumped first or threw out something on the ground where you need the aerial space to go around the move's hitbox. Other than that, I can't really say much more because I don't know why you are getting wrecked, try to be super critical of yourself in every match, every movement, every move.. I think it'll help a lot in a long run because then you'll have a much better grasp of the flow of the game if you understand this.

tm

Smash Ace
depends on the tournament too

play against them, space perfecly and they'll move on from shieldgrabbing =D

perfecting spacing is always good, try different points of view and mixups

( that's the word on the street )
You really need to break it down in each situations.. Like for example if you jumped and got hit, obviously you shouldn't have jumped in this case because you might've been too close to do it. Jumping with Ganon is risky because there's a lot of areas where you are open.. more so with him but this applies to all characters. Being in the air is generally only good if your opponent jumped first or threw out something on the ground where you need the aerial space to go around the move's hitbox. Other than that, I can't really say much more because I don't know why you are getting wrecked, try to be super critical of yourself in every match, every movement, every move.. I think it'll help a lot in a long run because then you'll have a much better grasp of the flow of the game if you understand this.
Thanks for the advice, guys. The better I get, the more I'm thinking about "THAT" is why I was punished in a given situation, or "THIS" is what I did wrong, and some other thing was a better option or w/e. But when I play better players a lot of the time I can't answer the question of what I should have done better, or I don't know of any options that weren't covered, or that they were just reading my choices. I think getting footage of me playing better people would help a lot but I'm rarely in a position to do so.

Kage, when you talk about having a good ground game, what do you really mean by that? I assume some important things like staying at safe spacing, not whiffing attacks, not jumping / committing to something until it is safe, etc. But what are you really looking for (aside from the opponent doing something dumb)? What is your GOAL or things that you are trying to get done in the ground game, and how do you take steps towards that? Obviously it will depend a lot on the matchup, and is a pretty vague question, but I think my understanding of this is really lacking, especially for how critical it is. Also thanks for the continued and helpful advice; I really appreciate it and hope you don't feel like your words are being wasted.

Eikelmann, Kage, and anyone else: I'd love to meet you guys / play (again) at Apex. I'm a dude with really long golden-brown hair... See you there!

Coastward

Smash Lord
so i played m2k in some friendlies today.

obviously i got destryoed but i somehow won against his falcon LOL. it was super fun playing him and i learned some hidden techniques from him.

tm

Smash Ace
so i played m2k in some friendlies today.

obviously i got destryoed but i somehow won against his falcon LOL. it was super fun playing him and i learned some hidden techniques from him.
Hidden techniques? lol, please share

Renth

Smash Hero
I have a friend that lives in Bramption. Let me get around to that pass port I've got a lot of reasons to visit canada soon.

Coastward

Smash Lord
I have a friend that lives in Bramption. Let me get around to that pass port I've got a lot of reasons to visit canada soon.
Ganonton.

Also I saw the apex pools and they look pretty hype. Kage has a pretty good pool and so does Eikelmann. Hopefully the stream gets a good dose of ganon.

Renth

Smash Hero
Shout outs to Kage:

Beating : SFAT, Westballs and ¿?

I don't know who all you won against this weekend but congratulations and a good show and a fun watch.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Kage, you can down angle ftilt through the eggs when yoshi stalls at the ledge while throwing eggs like that. It's super legit and if he isn't frame perfect even one time, you end up kicking him in the head and its instantaneous death even at zero. Trust me, I do it to ripple all the time. Good stuff at apex tho, you stepped it up!

On another note: maybe I'll see some of you at beast! I'll be in England for the next four months lol

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Kage, you can down angle ftilt through the eggs when yoshi stalls at the ledge while throwing eggs like that. It's super legit and if he isn't frame perfect even one time, you end up kicking him in the head and its instantaneous death even at zero. Trust me, I do it to ripple all the time. Good stuff at apex tho, you stepped it up!

On another note: maybe I'll see some of you at beast! I'll be in England for the next four months lol
The risk isn't worth it.. and I dont doubt Amsa's tech skill, it's on point because he's a Yoshi main. What if I take 100% before he dies? lol.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Kage, you misread. You can downward angle ftilit THROUGH the eggs, like you won't take any damage, you gotta go right up near the edge and kick the eggs before they get up in the air- your foot breaks the eggs and sometimes when you're lucky, you hit yoshis big ass head and kill him, even at zero.

Ian, I might if my funds let me! I'll have to see where I am.

Coastward

Smash Lord
ive been going through old matches and watching a lot of youtube videos of ganon play. decided to write down stuff i did wrong/need to improve/need to implement so that it would get into my head better.

so far im 20 pages in LOL.

Renth

Smash Hero
Cute tool i've been using in teams highly situational but in melee what isn't?

In teams, if your team mate is holding someone you can use the backside of your grounded down b as a kill move. I use it when my team mate has a grab and their team mate is trying to come in and interrupt the grab. It will launch the person your team mate is holding backwards and you will down b towards to other enemy team member.

Top Bottom