• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how to short-hop

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyperhopper

Smash Ace
how can i short hop.

it takes me so long to short hop, about 1/4 tries are short

and when i do it, i stop everything else, i cant effectivley use it in combat. i need it, but can do it without about 2 seconds of doing NOTHING but staring at my comtroller getting ready to hit the button..... need help........

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Here's an idea: Learn to play. XD

just kidding. Actually, the best thing to do if you are having problems is to go into practice mode, pick your favorite character, then slow it down to like 1/2, 1/4, or whatever. Then work on the timing of it until you can do it at that speed. Then, speed it up. Just continue that until you get it consistently.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Yeah you do, but it helps a lot to do this, especially if you do it with ness, since he is the easiest character to short hop with, in my opinion.

This way worked for me.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure Werekill has you covered but lemme clear up a common misconception for you while I'm here, It's not how hard you hit the jump button, but how long it's pressed for. I recommend using Y to jump

kr3wman

Smash Master
Press it for a short time.

In Melee you had to press to button in a soft way but in brawl you just have to let it go quickly.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
practice practice practice
you'll get it with consistent practice
now i dont even think about shorthopping and i do it, its just something that you eventually learn to do.
one thing though
turn tap jump off lol

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
for me full hopping is more difficult than short hop lol

(I mean while doing attacks...)

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
We can't speed up your fingers or increase your basic motor skills. If you have big slow fingers, what do you want us to do?

You already know HOW to short hop. Now quit spamming the board and go practice.

Foxy

Smash Master
well, for example, short hopping with melee fox is hard for me if i'm just sitting there trying to do it. but when i'm in a match starting a drillshine combo or spacing, it's very easy because my finger has to get off of the jump button quickly to go hit other stuff anyways.

i'd suggest using it in matches as practice, rather than just sitting in one place, and use a or the c-stick for an aerial immediately after hitting X/Y to just give your finger another reason to move. it may help. as always, just keep trying it in matches and you'll get better, forget that training mode crap.

Hot Kaarl

Smash Rookie
If you slide your thumb from the jump button to the A/B button when you're trying to short hop an aerial (should be your most common need for an aerial at this point I imagine). I've personally found that this is the easiest, most efficient way to do a rising, short hopped aerial. It requires no muscle memory, you just quickly slide your thumb. Quick and easy, and it makes for good training wheels.

TP

Smash Master
From now on, post your very basic threads in general discussion, tactical is for more advanced levels of play.

K 2

Smash Lord
You need to release the jump button before your character's jump animation ends (before they leave the ground) in order to short hop.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Hey guys, let's all post the exact same response over and over. A thread asking a question this difficult requires at least five pages.

Tap the jump button fast, practice, etc.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
It's probably better not to use a slowdown in training mode, because it makes you worse in the long run. =D

edit: Holy cow the dates. Not again.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I was wondering why the hell this popped up on my subscribed list...

One of the worst necros I've ever seen.
Well, maybe now we can get to those five pages I wanted... over a year ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom