• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How To Not Suck As Falcon (yes this is a new guide) AYAZ COMMIN WIT IT!

crewster

Smash Lord
I've started to put a little study into the knee and I'm getting the timing down for landing knees on people who land on platforms. It's a good idea to learn to use the knee. Obviously you can't just throw one out every second but when your opponent is open from landing lag or something it really helps to land this beastly move. I'm also slow learning the timing for a SHFF knee and I'm able to punish a Kirby that does a move that has landing lag on the ground. The knee is a very good punishing tool if you know how and when to us it.
Yeah, if you practice you can gets sweet spotted every time (I SS about every 1/5 times). I use the knee alot (faster and more efficent kill move than the punch:)).

Wogrim

Smash Lord
How to mindgame: make your opponent think it's a good time to use a particular move (including rolls and stuff, not necessarily an attack), but since you saw it coming you can react perfectly and punish. Very easy to do against certain moves in which it's the only move they can use that will hit you (like setting up a Falcon to try to aerial Falcon Kick you since you're at the perfect angle for it), although it's those same moves that your opponent is less likely to use in a competitive setting.

crewster

Smash Lord
Stale Moves - Not many people keep track of stale moves in every match, some people develop a system of what attacks are to be used at what percents. A good example of a system in which the player uses less useful moves in order to keep great moves fresh, is Ally's Snake. If you watch his videos it's easy to see that he plays a very different Snake in comparison to the majority of other Snakes. He uses his Dthrow tech-chase often to rack up quick damage, keeps his nades ready for damage, and uses moves like Dtilt that are not "broken" to get percentages up, then uses a powerful Ftilt or Utilt to finish the job. Applying this strategy to Falcon is REALLY beneficial, this allows for kills (on an average weighted character) at low percentages; usually from 90-120. Actually at the practice I just hosted my one friend was talking about how he hates Falco because he can't KO very well, however once I reminded him about stale moves he pretty much wrecked his opponent. Now because I say that stale moves are important to know, don't make yourself suck more by trying to do something un-natural, because if your not familiar with certain moves don't use them, however the goal is to eventually incorporate every move into your game

What I do is I wait for a oppening(Dash Attack, Grab, Etc.) and then jab spam, that way keeping the kill moves fresh and getting the percentage up. Then I grab them and Knee (ocasionaly punch) them. There, 1 cheap stock, do that again and again and then you have a rap(It's not a fun way to play falcon, it's quite boring, but it's effective:)).

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
yeah I took a long time to respond to this (sorry) but i can say what I learned that is pretty **** sick

so this works like melee Falcon's Uthrow to jab on fast fallers, it's DI-able but by that time you can anticipate your opponents next move.

basically it works with Dtilt instead of Uthrow, I think there may be IASA frames here cause the jab comes out fight after the Dtilt connects, I did this on my bro's IC and got a good 50%, and when he started to DI away I used Falcon kick to follow up

not game-breaking but pretty cool if you opponent doesn't know whats coming

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Does moves like Fair suffer MORE from stale moves if they are sweet spotted?

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
I never really focused on pacing, this is in fact useful information. But, I expected something more technical like how to acutually sweetspot the knee. I find that sweetspoting works all the time when your opponent is about to press the A or B button (about to attack), it is very hard to time though.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
I never really focused on pacing, this is in fact useful information. But, I expected something more technical like how to acutually sweetspot the knee. I find that sweetspoting works all the time when your opponent is about to press the A or B button (about to attack), it is very hard to time though.
yeah this first section is for people that keep up with the Falcon boards and just need that little bit of extra advice to make them great. In a later section I'll discuss Falcon's moves and how to make use of them, what AT's that you should be looking out for, and i'll briefly talk about match-ups. It's all in due time

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
I could, but it would be too easy and besides... Brawl is on the mainstream spotlight so it would be much interesting to knee online. :)

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
Wow mate, your a TruBlu Person and I appreciate everything you've done for the Falcon boards. I remember joining SWF for the first time, I took the first advice I could from your previous guides. I manage to Nipple spike more consistenly thanks to you. Also, if your going to make another thread that explains the AT and how to knee like second nature. Cheers in advance :)

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

yeah sadly it does, my stale sweet knee couldn't kill MK at 100 % lame
Hmm.. maybe I put the question wrong..

- Scenario -
Falcon #1 hits opponent with 5 SOURspotted fairs.
Falcon #2 hits opponent with 5 SWEETspotted fairs.

Then BOTH Falcons connects with a SWEETspotted fair..
Are they equaly strong?

Tenki

Smash Hero
Yes. It's still the same move / input, unlike the separate parts of jabs (for Falcon, jab1, jab2, gentleman, infinite jab), sweetspot and sourspot knee are 'connected' as the same move.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Yes. It's still the same move / input, unlike the separate parts of jabs (for Falcon, jab1, jab2, gentleman, infinite jab), sweetspot and sourspot knee are 'connected' as the same move.
Thanks a lot!

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
In summary, I just wanted to learn the knee (sweetspotted) on brawl more consistently, today I just figured out you need to be piercing your opponent to be able to get the zap right. Like when your knee glitches past them.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
The fact is, the knee on brawl has a sweet timing rather than a sweetspot. There was a topic a long time ago on the boards with a video or some screens, I haven't found it though.
However it showed that the "sweetspot-box" itself is big, you just have to touch the ennemy with it when the knee is coming out... Or something like this, sorry that I don't exactly remember :/

peeeetah

Smash Cadet
yeah it's all timing. if you hit them within the first few frames of the knee or so, it doesn't matter what part of the leg you hit them with, it WILL sweetspot.

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
yeah it's all timing. if you hit them within the first few frames of the knee or so, it doesn't matter what part of the leg you hit them with, it WILL sweetspot.
Ah, I know what you mean now, I was brawling today and I noticed the first few (about 2) knee frames get the zap going, any frame later will just flop it no matter how accuratelly you hit your opponent's body.

Roager

Smash Ace
Fakeman, I was told it was five frames. Anyone know more confidently?

Roager

Smash Ace
5 or 6 doesnt, but 2 or 5 might. not really THAT important, I just wondered.

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
Unlike Zelda's Fair/bair {=´o(

I'm jellaus . .
No, Zelda's fair/bair have more frames, in conclusion making it more deadly and making me a Zealous knight. You should see the matches I have with my mate, he mains Zelda and he goes nuts. zaps the fair/bair all the time.

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
Fakeman, I was told it was five frames. Anyone know more confidently?
Well, I just estimated... ok how about this, during Captain Falcon's knee animation and no later. I'm starting to get the zap nearly all the time now. So I'll disregard the sweetspot and regard the sweet timing. I'd have to agree strongly with what Telouborg and peeetah were saying.

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
Personally, to you guys. I recommend you knee on frame 3, that's where I usually get people with. it's the same risk as pickpocketing someone. You have to be really close, then stand and deliver... and seems like the mystery of Falcon's knee for SSBB has been solved.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
No, Zelda's fair/bair have more frames, in conclusion making it more deadly and making me a Zealous knight. You should see the matches I have with my mate, he mains Zelda and he goes nuts. zaps the fair/bair all the time.
"it doesn't matter what part of the leg you hit them with, it WILL sweetspot."

Unlike Falcon... ^This ... Isn't the case for Zelda's fair/bair :(

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
Yes I know that, your confusing me so let us not worry about this too much.

peeeetah

Smash Cadet
once you get the timing for the knee down it's real easy to punish. If you know for sure where they're going to be, you can probably knee him as long as you space correctly. i usually look for predictable rolls, or whiffed smashes/grabs to punish. aerial prediction gets a bit trickier, because of the insane DI, but it's a lot less expected. bait an airdodge with an uair or something, and knee them in the lag.

another random tip, nair works fairly well as an anti air move when they shorthop at you. if they're at the peak of their sh, both kicks of the nair will most likely hit. it also helps if they're kinda bigger, but what can you do right?

Tenki

Smash Hero
boost grab - what this does is increase the range of your dashing grab, using this you are able to create infinites in some cases (even on MK if done perfectly). But this if your going to grab you may as well get into the nature to boost grabbing because it only helps you. How to do this technique is to:

Dash-->c-stick down-->grab *note that the grab has to come as soon as c-stick down is flicked.

that's it for now still a lot of work that needs to be done, add whatever you feel is necessary to make this guide successful
I tried Falcon's boost smash/DACUS, and it always seems to slow down for Falcon. I'd assume that his boost grab would get that same kind of 'momentum kill' =/

How about pivot grabbing?

If you run past an opponent and hit Z>back, you do a standing pivot grab (good vs spotdodge)

If you run towards an opponent and hit back>Z, you do a sliding pivot grab (not sure when it's useful?)

I forgot if the orders were done correctly, but one of them gives one of those effects lol.

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
once you get the timing for the knee down it's real easy to punish. If you know for sure where they're going to be, you can probably knee him as long as you space correctly. i usually look for predictable rolls, or whiffed smashes/grabs to punish. aerial prediction gets a bit trickier, because of the insane DI, but it's a lot less expected. bait an airdodge with an uair or something, and knee them in the lag.

another random tip, nair works fairly well as an anti air move when they shorthop at you. if they're at the peak of their sh, both kicks of the nair will most likely hit. it also helps if they're kinda bigger, but what can you do right?
You my friend! Seem to be making interesting points... I like that and I like Nair, you think the same way I do about Captain Falcon's Nair, the attack itself is underated, but I reckon it is one of the most valuble moves on Captain Falcon's quiver. A very nice intercepter, because it can be unpredictable when you don't use it much. Right now I'm not seeing much people use the Captain Falcon Nair, I like it alot though. try wall of paining it on COMs, very very fun mate :)

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
Bumpsies for people who wanted a update, The tournament section isn't even close to being done because there's soo much to add lol. The techs section will be added in time, this guide is NOT meant to look pretty at all but to give information, just read the intro actually .............

ahhh let's take a look in the past shall we?
Lol, Falcon gets ***** by the puff.

Because I decided to screw with the Falcon boards until they realized that Bowyer could beat them in every way shape or form.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=211954

HHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

lol that he places as well as the Falcon/Sonic main from Canada lol

ohhhh man I love cocky people, but no hate to Boyer, he's **** but he get's too "emotional" during play

Ne Derceh

Smash Cadet
Bumpsies for people who wanted a update, The tournament section isn't even close to being done because there's soo much to add lol. The techs section will be added in time, this guide is NOT meant to look pretty at all but to give information, just read the intro actually .............

ahhh let's take a look in the past shall we?

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=211954

HHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

lol that he places as well as the Falcon/Sonic main from Canada lol

ohhhh man I love cocky people, but no hate to Boyer, he's **** but he get's too "emotional" during play
Lol. Great, I liked where this guide was headed, thought you didn't have the time for it or something.

Top Bottom