• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Not be a Noob with Falco

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Noob guide-

-Stop doing AAA combo into reflector, people will always shield the reflector
- the following moves are situational, and u shouldnt really use them that much:
Bthrow
Fthrow
Uair
Dtilt
Fair
Uthrow

- Learn SHDL, instant aerial phantasm, gatling combo, CG to spike, boost pivot grab and SHFF (shorthop fastfall) your aerials. all other ATs are flashy and situational.
- after you do CG to spike, try footstooling your opponent then edgehogging for an easy kill. if u do this to yoshi, its a guaranteed death.
- Phantasm. ALOT. (instant aerial phantasm of course)
- upsmash is your best killing move
- Jungle Japes, FD, and Battlefield are your best counterpick stages.
- Learn who you can and can't chaingrab.
- Watch SK92 and Sethlon Vids.
-FULLHOP AERIALS ARE GODLY.
-Stop trying to spike, bair is usually a better option while offstage.
- always side B into the edge, not the stage
-read the matchup guides here
-dont be predictable with chaingrab.
- jab to grab is godly
- bair and dair out of shield, good ****

Blad01

Smash Lord
I think that the guide i'm writing will be more substantial lol :p

But that's a good beginning. Actually, the AAA to shine combo won't always be shield, that depends on the opponent's reaction. Some of them will try to punish your "lag" after the AAA.

And the Uair is way more useful that you seem to think... ;)

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
ok just a couple points.
when you say "phantasm. A LOT." you NEED to learn not just iaps but phantasm cancels so you will be unpredictable and they cant punish you. (SK92 does this all the time, watch his vids)
BF is a situational stage for falco imo. it might be good against characters like Tlink and Samus, but MK, Marth, Shiek has way more advantages on BF than falco does.
another good technique to get kills is silent laser->boost smash.
and this was something i didnt know when i was a noob : LEARN TO RAR!

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
this is just a quick guide for new falco players. the boost smash and phantasm cancels are pretty situational and flashy, i just listed the important ones.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
phantasm cancels help your recovery ALOT so you don't get punished and gimped. boost smashing is pretty good for KO's, which some falcos have trouble with.

zamz

Smash Journeyman
Completely untrue. If you always side-b'd into the edge, you'd be gimped every single time. It takes knowing when to phantasm onto the stage, and when not to phantasm on the stage, that makes a good Falco. Predictability is key here, and beginning falcos should learn how to jump in the air or DI in the air while recovering to help mindgame their way back onto the stage.

In fact, more times than not when you're facing a character like Meta Knight who can grab the ledge quickly, they'll space themselves an inch away from the stage and wait for the phantasm --> ledgegrab. Then they'll beat your phantasm and gimp you.

There ARE times when phantasming onto the stage is necessary for a healthy Falco.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Don't think you're good because you can chain grab. (to noob Falcos) Play without chain grabbing and if you feel like you're struggling, then chances are you have some practicing to do.

Mith_

Smash Champion
don't ALWAYS AAA shine. Mix it up.

-learn when to and when not to Fair.
-learn to walljump

add those to the OP

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Don't think you're good because you can chain grab. (to noob Falcos) Play without chain grabbing and if you feel like you're struggling, then chances are you have some practicing to do.
Agreed. When I FIRST picked up Falco, I knew how to chaingrab before I even had his basics down. Big mistake. I struggled a lot in my first few matches. Things are much better now, plus I can still chaingrab if need be. But definitely do not rely on it.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Dont AAA shine is already in the guide.

when i say Side B into the edge all the time, i mean assuming the opponent is on the stage waiting for u

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
Completely untrue. If you always side-b'd into the edge, you'd be gimped every single time. It takes knowing when to phantasm onto the stage, and when not to phantasm on the stage, that makes a good Falco. Predictability is key here, and beginning falcos should learn how to jump in the air or DI in the air while recovering to help mindgame their way back onto the stage.

In fact, more times than not when you're facing a character like Meta Knight who can grab the ledge quickly, they'll space themselves an inch away from the stage and wait for the phantasm --> ledgegrab. Then they'll beat your phantasm and gimp you.

There ARE times when phantasming onto the stage is necessary for a healthy Falco.
This.
Unpredictablility is the reason i wanted you to add phantasm-canceling. for example, you make it look like you want to phantasm to the stage, but then you short-cancel and land on the edge. or you can make it look like your gonna go for the edge, then use your 2nd jump and go back to the stage. Mixing it up is VERY important.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Blad01 I'm sure your very good with Falco because you main Sheik, both of those characters rely heavily on not being predictable. If you haven't AAA shine'd in a few weeks then thats free damage for you ;)

And, I now have 500 posts. Go me =/

J4pu

Smash Champion
Noob guide-

-Stop doing AAA combo into reflector, people will always shield the reflector
unless your AAA gets them off the edge just slightly then this seems to connect almost every time because they are more worried about getting back and they can't shield.
AAA> dash > pivot boost grab works when they expect the reflector and puts you behind them in case they spotdodge

- the following moves are situational, and u shouldnt really use them that much:
Bthrow
Fthrow
Uair
If you are playing somebody that knows how to DI and you hit them upward they will use their Dair or fastest aerial and if it has enough ending lag, following up with a Uair would give low % kills when they are in the air somewhat high
Dtilt
Jab> Dtilt is great
Fair
Uthrow

- Learn SHDL , SHL, instant aerial phantasm, gatling combo, CG to spike, boost pivot grab and SHFF (shorthop fastfall) your aerials. all other ATs are flashy and situational.
- after you do CG to spike, try footstooling your opponent then edgehogging for an easy kill. if u do this to yoshi, its a guaranteed death.
- Phantasm. ALOT. (instant aerial phantasm of course)
- upsmash is your best killing move
Boosted of course
- Jungle Japes, FD, and Battlefield are your best counterpick stages.
Why BF?
- Learn who you can and can't chaingrab.
And learn who you can Dthrow> Dair> turn around grab out of the chars you cant CG
- Watch SK92 and Sethlon Vids.
-FULLHOP AERIALS ARE GODLY.
-Stop trying to spike, bair is usually a better option while offstage.
unless you anticipate an edge-hog attempt
-read the matchup guides here
-dont be predictable with chaingrab.
- jab to grab is godly
- bair and dair out of shield, good ****
there's my additions to your suggestions

Denzi

Smash Master
He might as well point it out, there some people who just think "I can fire 2 lasers in one short hop. I'm good w/ Falco now rite?" It makes it easier for those who come here trying to learn Falco.

Blad01

Smash Lord
J4pu : Dthrow > Dair > Grab (or Jab, grab) doesn't work. The opponent can roll, dodge the grab. (roll being the best option)

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
To not suck with Falco just think of this everyone time youre going into a fight :

"HANDS OFF MY BREAD"

Well I guess thats Self-Explanatory:)

wangston

Smash Lord
J4pu : Dthrow > Dair > Grab (or Jab, grab) doesn't work. The opponent can roll, dodge the grab. (roll being the best option)
It very much so works. Fast fall in front of them. Some characters can't react at all you have to be very tight on your timing. Those that can react can jab, dsmash, shield, or grab. With the characters that can react you need to try to predict what they will do, you can jab and grab and try to beat them to the punch with your jab, or you can shield and hope they don't grab.

J4pu

Smash Champion
This has been my experience as well, perhaps what I should have said was learn the characters that can't punish you very well when you attempt this, for instance ROB's Dsmash comes out on frame 3 so do not attempt this on a ROB. Lucario however has a very slow Dsmash and people never really turn around jab which means you are safe to do this on lucario, yes it is possible for them to get out but you still don't take any punishment, might as well attempt it in case they mess up or don't know how to get out.

Top Bottom