• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to do SHART (Short Hop Angel Ring Tech).

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
I've already posted this guide in the "Ask a question get an answer" thread. But since it is only located on page 91, I have decided to post this here so that you wouldn't have to go looking for it. And also because Stealthgun requested it in Corrupt Fate's "[IMPORTANT] Making the Pit boards usefull again" thread. If you do not like that I have made a new thread about this, it's only because I think this will be usefull to the Pit boards and will allow other Pit users to add it to their library of strategies and that it will now be easy to access. If you want to see the original post, go to the "Ask a question get an answer" thread and go to page 91. This was originally posted by me. Enjoy:

After spending a night researching the ART Techinque, I decided to come out with my explanation.

My findings are like the ones on "The ULTIMATE Pit Guide!" with a few differences. So I'm just gonna explain this as a step-by-step procedure. REMEMBER!!: I've only done the research for SH, NOT the full hop. I am basing these instructions on the GC controller.

1: Do SH. 2: Time the Initiaiton of Angel Ring so that Pit hits the ground when he says the "YAAAAAAH!" of his a little anoying "hi-hi-hi-YAAAAAAH!" battle cry. 3: While your in the air, keep the control stick pushed forward or else this won't work. Also, don't press the B button after you initiated the Angel Ring EXCEPT for when you hit the ground (It also helps if you have a little forward momentum in your jump ^__^). 4: Time your second press of the B button so that it lines up with the time that Pit touches the ground. 5: Keep pressing the B button after ART takes effect. I noted this as a step because this move can at least rack up over 30% damage to someone who is suprised (that means that they don't DI for the first two seconds.).

What you should see visually: You know how Pit's Angel Ring kind of "Lights up" When it starts? If you do ART right, you will see it "Light up" again when Pit hit's the ground even if ART doesn't take effect. This helps tell you that your close to getting it right ^__^.

If you want to attack the enemy as soon as you star the Angel Ring, the timings gonna be different since you don't have Pit's voice as a guide (Since you slow down a bit when you hit the enemy.). My suggestion is to memorize the height that you were able to do the ART on when you weren't hitting the enemy. It'll work.

There MIGHT be another way to do this. So I encourage people to look for other ways as well ^__^.

I hope this helps everyone a bit ^__^.

(Please don't be mad at me. I know these instructions are kind of like the ones found in the "ULTIMATE Pit Guide" thread. But it didn't specify to keep the controll stick pushed forward or to push the B button when Pit hits the ground. So please don't say that it's the same.)
Again if you'd like to see the orginal post please go to the "Ask a question get an answer" thread and go to page 91. Thank you ^__^.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
Actually its halfway between pit start jump and peak.
Its not a glitch really either seeing that if you go to training mode and 1/4 the speed. You can see the animations.

Pressing b spins the blades faster, its interesting. As I was saying, if you jump and halfway between your jump, you press side b. If you look closely how the animation looks when AR activates, you will see the same animation that activate when touching the ground. The blades start to glow much brighter too.

Full hops basically as soon as pit says "huh". its the halfway point.
Short hops get easier if you follow the halfway method.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
@Katana: It's fine ^__^. We all have those moments ^__^.

And yes, learning this move would be a good way to rack up damage to an unsuspecting opponent. Although, it's probably impossible to do in Wi-Fi -_- (Unless you have lagless Wi-Fi). But, I think it will be usefull for offline fights.

stealthgun

Smash Cadet
It does work well for most people but I train with one of the top Link mains (Blubba_Pinecone) and he DIs out of it just right to land outside of my range and be able to grab me or F-smash so watch out for people who know how to do this. Usually at if the opponent is at high percents they get pushed back far enough so that you're safe from being punished but the way Blubba does it he lands at the same spot every time. I asked him how he does it and I believe he said you have to DI up and away.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Guys, don't call it "SHART". That's the term used when somebody makes a messy fart...

Why is this the first thing I find when I come into the Pit forum?

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
Mmmm vids anyone? And does this only rack damage? How is it better than other things? Plz enlighten me?

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Sorry I don't have vids :(.
And while it does rack up damage, it can be also be used as a mindgame. Or push someone off the stage (Since this does go farther than the regular ART, SH-ART can also push people farther, making it a bit easier for making people go where you want them to go. But after a while, it gets noticable -_-).
It might not be BETTER than other things, since it is noticable and can be punished HARSHLY if done wrong. But, as I said it is a good mindgame for switching up how you do ART. I suggest using it to surprise your opponent. And, I have not tested it, but considering how many times you will hit the opponent, if you start hitting the opponent the MOMENT you start SH-ART, you might be able to perform a Shield Break if the Shield it all the way through.
I'll do more research on it to answer your questions ^__^.

NiteCyper

Smash Rookie
I wish you'd say, all you have to do is to press the B-button as soon as you touch the ground, similar to Samus's super-wave-dash back in Melee. I actually got the hang of the SWD's timing via muscle-memory.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
@Nitecyper

Yeah that is true and useful in a lot of instances in my opinion. The only difference is that you can start the Arts in mid air allowing you to rack up a little more damage then starting it as you hit the ground and then get a boost as you hit the ground as well. Now in theory it should be really awesome. But there's no telling without testing on how it will actually behave against "Pros". lol

Anyway i think someone should test how many times you should press B so that you get the full boost forward without having excess AR animation. I would do it but im not very good with that tech. Also i wonder if its possible to end the AR during the boost forward. If possible it would lead to some sweet possibilities. Eg. ART>Fsmash or something. Since your opponent would be caught in the wind push, hit stun, and landing lag. Should leave you ample time if theres a way to cancel it during the boost.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
@Nitecyper

Yeah that is true and useful in a lot of instances in my opinion. The only difference is that you can start the Arts in mid air allowing you to rack up a little more damage then starting it as you hit the ground and then get a boost as you hit the ground as well. Now in theory it should be really awesome. But there's no telling without testing on how it will actually behave against "Pros". lol

Anyway i think someone should test how many times you should press B so that you get the full boost forward without having excess AR animation. I would do it but im not very good with that tech. Also i wonder if its possible to end the AR during the boost forward. If possible it would lead to some sweet possibilities. Eg. ART>Fsmash or something. Since your opponent would be caught in the wind push, hit stun, and landing lag. Should leave you ample time if theres a way to cancel it during the boost.
Yeah, I've only tested the technique on a standing still CPU on practice mode...

As for your questions, I don't exactly get what your saying when you say "i think someone should test how many times you should press B so that you get the full boost forward without having excess AR animation." I'm willing to test that out for you, but I need to know what your looking for. Also, I'm not sure you can cancel the ART's boost forward to lead to combos (that would be awesome, though). I'll try testing it out, but what you could do is just tap the B button once when you get the boost effect. By tapping the button once, you won't stay in ART for long, and can try to lead up to a combo that way. But I'll try and see if there's a way to cancel it, though.

D

Deleted member

Guys, don't call it "SHART". That's the term used when somebody makes a messy fart...

Why is this the first thing I find when I come into the Pit forum?
First thing I found, too. Probably because you saw "SHART" in the thread title, and you thought it was a story of some Pit player getting a little too excited during a match?

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Yeah, I've only tested the technique on a standing still CPU on practice mode...

As for your questions, I don't exactly get what your saying when you say "i think someone should test how many times you should press B so that you get the full boost forward without having excess AR animation." I'm willing to test that out for you, but I need to know what your looking for. Also, I'm not sure you can cancel the ART's boost forward to lead to combos (that would be awesome, though). I'll try testing it out, but what you could do is just tap the B button once when you get the boost effect. By tapping the button once, you won't stay in ART for long, and can try to lead up to a combo that way. But I'll try and see if there's a way to cancel it, though.
Well to keep AR going you press B multiple times. When you do a normal AR it causes you to just sit in place leaving you pretty much wide open. I'm just wondering if theres like a good set amount of button presses to prevent Pit from just sitting after ART. Basically to get the same ending as just a single Side B input on the ground as a landing.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Well to keep AR going you press B multiple times. When you do a normal AR it causes you to just sit in place leaving you pretty much wide open. I'm just wondering if theres like a good set amount of button presses to prevent Pit from just sitting after ART. Basically to get the same ending as just a single Side B input on the ground as a landing.
4: Time your second press of the B button so that it lines up with the time that Pit touches the ground.
After you press the B button in step 4, don't press the B button again. This will cause the same ending as the regular AR, if you pressed the B button only once.

guitarnerd

Smash Cadet
I've just been messing around with this one for about an hour. I can say 3 things about it. I can get it to work even if I've pushed B multiple times. Also, I can get it to work if I haven't held forward the whole time. Also, I have gotten it to work with only one B push (the initial one)

I think we need to do more trouble shooting with this one. It almost seems random. Has anyone done a thorough breakdown of what makes the ARTS work?

dualseeker

Smash Ace
I've just been messing around with this one for about an hour. I can say 3 things about it. I can get it to work even if I've pushed B multiple times. Also, I can get it to work if I haven't held forward the whole time. Also, I have gotten it to work with only one B push (the initial one)

I think we need to do more trouble shooting with this one. It almost seems random. Has anyone done a thorough breakdown of what makes the ARTS work?
It's what worked for me. But it's true, it's a little random. I just listed what I did to get the thing to work. So far, it's worked for me. Although, the guide on how to do this in "The Ultimate Pit Guide" might be better than this one. You're free to check it out and see.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
Art is so weird, applying it effectively doesn't seem to be available right now if not at all. You a beast if you can though.

OK...
Angel ring will slide on frames 1- 11 on landing.
-will slide on frame 33 ( best used on frame 9 of our Short hop)
-will slide on frame 55 ( best used on frame 7 of our Full hop)
Remember, our jump start is 5 frames, so its 14 on SH, 12 on FH.

We have only only 1 frame to slide. Yup just one.
Oh if the ring glows instead, well.. you did it 1 frame too early, lol

From testing on the basic ART, not including platforms and stuff. It looks like multiples of 11 to land. Would be funny if true. If so, we may need a platform for frame 22, or 44, etc.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
We should, by all means, continue to call this SHART.

Primarily because people are already annoyed by AR as a move. Scrubs think it's broke, n00bs love to spam it, and Pit says HIYAYAYAYAYAYA. Now they're going to lose their cool even more when we yell out "Oh, man, I just SHARTed all over you. How does that feel?"

Y'know, if that's your thing.

pitskeyblade

Smash Lord
Makin movies makin songs & FIGHTIN ROUND THE W

Primarily because people are already annoyed by AR as a move. Scrubs think it's broke, n00bs love to spam it, and Pit says HIYAYAYAYAYAYA. Now they're going to lose their cool even more when we yell out "Oh, man, I just SHARTed all over you. How does that feel?"

Lollllllllllllllllllllll :laugh:

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer

Initial dismay revoked. Excellent name.

cybergeko

Smash Rookie
Honesty i think this pit art is one of a kind and if put to the right use could make a lot of pit players happy i know it helped me a lot.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
This is pretty interesting. Maybe Angel Ring deserves some attention after all. I am putting this in the matchup thread :)

Top Bottom