• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How the HELL do you beat Game and Watch?

AlbelsPanties

Smash Cadet
Seriously, it seems like everything I do gets outprioritized. Not to mention it's impossible to edgehog him. Make a single mistake and you get caught in a 50 damage combo, and then get killed at less than 100 because of the ridiculously broken downsmash.

Any tips would be much appreciated, because this is pissing me the hell off.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
walk away forward smash and up B from the ground, and wait for Dairs, and edge guard up B with get up attack then charge F smash in case he tries to come toward you with Fair as hes coming back to the stage

easy matchup if you know what you're doing

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
I would say "check the stickies", but I just realized the guides in them don't have a whole lot of info on this match-up. Here's a few pointers right off the top:
__

-Space. Seriously. Spacing with F-air/F-tilt/D-tilt are your best options.

-Approaching with F-air is good, but Mach Tornado is better. It goes through his B-air and F-air with ease. However, don't spam MT; you'll just become predictable and get punished a lot.

-If you get D-thrown, tech it.

-N-air is a great kill move against G&W.

-Your U-tilt beats G&W's D-air and has KO potential. Keep that in mind.
__

I'll type up more tomorrow when I have time.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Know how to tech the D-throw. Space well, and when you get in a hit, try to keep up the pressure since most of G&W's attacks come out fairly slowly in comparison.

Approaching him can be difficult since his D-tilt and B-air usually beats most of MK's attacks unless you have super good spacing, but the Tornado can beat that. Don't Tornado much though, since G&W is one of the best characters in the game at punishing it. Dash attack, U-air, Up-B, and sometimes Judgement and Smashes all beat the Tornado. U-air and Up-B in specific launch MK into freefall, and the wind hitbox extends pretty far horizontally from G&W, and a bit below him if I recall.

Recovering from below stage is a bad idea vs G&W in case he slowfall D-airs since it can beat or trade hits with the Up-B and that could get you stagespiked if you're not careful. Not many G&Ws currently do that, but believe me, Slowfalled D-airs are really good for edgeguarding.

Otherwise the other main thing I find about this mathup is MK is easy to U-air stall due to having low aerial DI when not using specials or gliding.

AlbelsPanties

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the prompt replies, guys. I'll give all this a shot as soon as I can. If anyone has anything else to add, I'm more than happy to listen.

ChileNess

Smash Apprentice
i live where a Wii is and a tourney in the moment.
ok, i figh him as the other guys say.
but i just let him attack to counter and al that also edgehog dont work. you can pik the edge and then fool him and attack or something nice... i actually have no problems in this matchup... you have to be knowing what you are doin and you be fine spacing and follow the advice of the others guys.. (mm... not very useful..)

Skyflyer

Smash Journeyman
Use MK as if you were using marth. Try to always hit near the tip of your sword. If you stay REALLY close to G&W for too long, your MK is a goner.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
You can't beat Mr. Game And Watch. It's part of his name.

He IS the game.

And you watch him.

That is ALL you do. You can only watch as he rings his bell in victory. He is the god of LCD. He is the original Mr. Nintendo. Fear his Two-Dimensions.

...Okay, I'm just being silly...

Rh1thmz

Smash Journeyman
Just get him attacked by the surrounding objects like the car salesman or sumthing
MegaROFL...

Anyways, I feel the OP's pain. It's hard to punish dair spam because of the really low landing lag. And he's just awkward to me. Then again, that's because I don't have a lot of experience in this matchup. I'd assume that things will get better for you once you fight more G&W's...I'm hoping experience is all that my problem is, too...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
D-air can be punished by Up-B out of shield from what I've seen if you space it well. Wait for the D-air to hit your shield, then Up-B before he hits the ground. The key to this one if I recall is being prepared in case he D-airs behind you. Also, make sure your shield can take a hit before you do that.

Usually though it's significantly harder to punish if you're in the air, and he can slowfall a D-air if you recover from below, and it either trades hits or outprioritizes your Up-B, and if he does it right it can stagespike you. MK's Up-B from what I've seen has a lot of trouble grabbing the ledge, and D-tilt spamming also can hit MK out of his Up-B.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
The best way to beat GW with MK is to approach him constantly. Don't worry about shielding. Oh, and don't bother teching his dthrow. If you do it's like instant death or something. And don't use up b on the ground much because uh...well...uh...it doesn't work. Trust me. NEVER Dtilt because it activates GW's 9. Ftilt should only be used about 3 times a match or he will just fsmash you.

So yeah, this match-up is super easy! Don't think and play carefree against GW!!! It works wonders :)!

waks

Smash Journeyman
The best way to beat GW with MK is to approach him constantly. Don't worry about shielding. Oh, and don't bother teching his dthrow. If you do it's like instant death or something. And don't use up b on the ground much because uh...well...uh...it doesn't work. Trust me. NEVER Dtilt because it activates GW's 9. Ftilt should only be used about 3 times a match or he will just fsmash you.

So yeah, this match-up is super easy! Don't think and play carefree against GW!!! It works wonders :)!
LOL XD Tips from Hylian himself :psycho:

brinboy789

Smash Champion
yea i lost at a tourney in the semis to a MK. I think i didnt use the tornado that much because he spammed the turtle and it has ridiculous priority >.< i need advice on this thread too...XP

Ulevo

Smash Master

Hylian, if you could inform me on a few things...

1) Isn't teching his DThrow advised? Sure, it leads to tech chase, but are you not able to shield and incoming attacks afterwards? I am not entirely sure about this.

2) How does DTilt activate the 9? I thought it was based on random numerals excluding if a 9 was used before two more judgements are issued.

3) FTilt has huge range, would it not help it in the match up? That is the one attack I can't see G&W out ranging unless a short hop Bair is spaced exceptionally well. How does the FSmash threaten the use of this move?

OverLade

Smash Hero

I taught Hylian all this stuff. :D

You're coming to FAST2 so I can get my revenge right? And I got MM with xYz this weekend XD.

EDIT: lol @ Ulevo.

TKD

Smash Lord
Tornado his tilts/aerials. And tech the downthrow...and yeah, random fsmashes work because of their range, specially when followed up by dsmashes to make them less punishable.

Space, and don't approach unless you're tornadoing, or dashgrabbing an airdodge landing.

BTW edge camping won't work that well against G&W, so don't do it. He can dair into you, airjump a nair/upair (to hit you/send you upwards) and sweetspot the edge with his recovery move.

Also, at least shorthop your tornadoes. Performing them near the ground triples the number of moves that can counter it.

Skyflyer

Smash Journeyman
Oh, this just in. F-TILT ***** G&W.

I'm dead serious. I just fought one of the best Game and watches on all is brawl and I racked up an easy 60%

JST

Smash Apprentice
If G&W doesn't perfectly time bair, MK can UpB OOS to punish.

Eddrex

Smash Rookie
I agree with the emphasis on controlling the ground against G&W. I find f-tilt to be a huge in that regard. It outreaches all of G&W's ground moves and the third hit is high enough to catch him on an aerial approach. Also, because of G&W's light weight, carefully placed f-smashes can KO at surprisingly low %s.

viparagon

Smash Ace
Seriously, it seems like everything I do gets outprioritized. Not to mention it's impossible to edgehog him. Make a single mistake and you get caught in a 50 damage combo, and then get killed at less than 100 because of the ridiculously broken downsmash.

Any tips would be much appreciated, because this is pissing me the hell off.
yeah, mario does have a pretty bad matchup vs. mk.

no but seriously, you could just replace G&W with mk and put it on any character boards and they wouldn't no the difference.

Top Bottom