• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How nerdy are you? The answer may surprise you.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Because I don't want to feel alone in my nerdy lament, I want to hear why you think you're a bigger nerd than me. Or at least why you think you're a nerd.

We need specific examples, people.

I have a T-Shirt that says "Dungeon Master" on the shoulder.

I use 1337 speak in every day conversations naturally.

I can read ASCII binary, and have a binary watch.

I actually get all the jokes on XKCD.

I don't think that "Ruby and Perl" has a typo in it.

What have you got?

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Oh my god

edit: just kidding.

I've played World of Warcraft

I...have internet friends

I like reading about theoretical physics

I like politics

I'm a moderator on a forum for a game I don't even want

I've met around 8 people from here in real life, and i'm planning on meeting more

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
I have statted myself in d20.
Huh, some of my friends got together and figured out what our stats would be under the DnD 2nd Edition rules and theory. Level 5-6 Warrior (special), IIRC. We also figured out what we would be under cross class as opposed to single class and a few other things. We figured that we were Level 5 or 6 (total) by the definition and description of the different levels and what we are considered IRL.

Seiya

Smash Journeyman
Many people at my school consider me a nerd or being "The Smart One" of the class when I'm really not. I'm pretty much medicore. Average grades..not good enough for AP classes(Failed AP U.S. History) I hang out with nerds tho. The ones who talk about Halo everyday or video games in general, speak in l33t(That includes the word Pwned right?) I dress casually... I'm sorry if I'm stereotyping but I was just saying examples.

BlackFoxPariah

Smash Apprentice
I skipped the Homecoming dance...or maybe it was Sadie's...I can't remember- well, I skipped it last year with my friend to go camp out for the Wii instead at Walmart. Which is under a mile away from my high school. We waited from morning till midnight. XD

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I took crpytography this semester because I thought it would be interesting.

The easiest part of my geology class (random science elective I have to take) is the section on radio carbon dating.

I giggle when my professor uses the term "relative dating".

I refer to a large number of my friends by their internet handles irl.

I program better while listening to techno.

I sometimes make golden spirals with my cereal in the morning.

I try to buffer overflow every program I get source code to, and some that i don't.

In high school, I met DemiDec Dan (extra special nerd points to anyone who knows who that is). He actually wore a pocket protector. It was the only time I've seen one in person.

Antinegative

Smash Apprentice
I went to nuclear chemistry summer school at brookhaven

i've been in the same room with a relativistic heavy ion collider, a tandem van de graff, a linear accelerator, and a cyclotron and was beside myself with glee every time

i obsess over baseball and politics

i also catch myself using leetspeak in real life

i went to the last american chemical society conference in chicago

i've played pretty much every major mmorpg there is to play

EDIT: i was also really sad to see gygax die the other day

antimatter

Smash Lord
i have retro game shirts like: a mushroom a day keeps the koopas away.
three images of sonic: under 1st one, fast. 2nd one: faster. 3rd one: supersonic!
a shirt that has pacman on it with power pellets and cherries in front of him with the caption: munchies

i spend time arguing over the real timeline to legend of zelda.
i play and collect magic: the gathering cards.
when i'm bored i write video game fan fics.

Grandeza

Smash Master
-I have a spongebob shirt
- I take a course to prep me for a specialized high school test.
-I read my science text book 1 hour every day.
-I study for the Stuyvesaint test 30 minutes everyday.
-i do all this and im 12 so imagine how nerdy i'll be in high school lol.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Well... I own several shirts featuring Shyguys, enjoy reading Sci-Fi (Asimov ftw!), play Pokemon, have over 2000 posts on a video game site, make Youtube Poop references constantly (I always use George's "Yeeeeess!" and Mario's "NO."), know the Suoer Mario Bros. Super Show theme, had a crush on a video game character (Medli... I was like 10!!), have glassess, play Yugioh (It isn't a rip off of Magic!!), and was in advance classess (until I got lazy and flunked out).

Well, at least I don't watch alot of anime.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I have internet friends.

I moderate this forum.

My alarm in the morning is the Halo Monk chant. Loud noises scare me so I need something calm like that.

I organize my videogames and movies in alphabetical order.

I use the word "pwned" in regular conversation. I pronounce it "poe-n-duh" by the way.

I've never played WoW or Dungeons and Dragons. The only anime I've enjoyed was Pokémon (from age 10-13, about) and FLCL. That makes me feel pretty good about myself. I don't feel like a huge nerd.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
wow... i'm a weeaboo and a nerd...
*Googles weeaboo*

...Wait, was that to me?

..Wait, I just realized something. The girl I've had a crush on for a while... she kinda looks like Medli. Long hair, fair skin, similar eyes... I fail on so many levels. :( This is just SUCKAGE. I think I fell in love with someone because they kinda look like a Zelda character.

YellowPikmin

Smash Journeyman
I thought the first season of pokemon was awesome. I can play more video game songs on piano than regular songs. I've beaten Link to the Past like 100 times. When I played Metroid for Wii, there was a brief instant in which I forgot that I was playing a video game and began to swear at the boss I was fighting and became actually scared of dieing.

I will likely remember the day I get Smash Bros Brawl better than I will remember the day I get married.

Matt

Banned via Administration
I play Magic the Gathering.

I chuckle at Ctrl Alt Delete, the webcomic.

For that matter, I read webcomics.

I'm posting in the general discussion room at a video game message board. Still. After seven years.

That's about it, really. I balance it out nicely with frequenting the gym, playing sports, and being a professional wrestler. They call me The Percolator. I grind my opponents into submission. This pun is horrible.

I make horrible puns regularly. At work, my boss wanted me to pluck thyme leaves from their stems, and I picked up a timer and said "But I'm already working with time!" The cute blond girl in the room (isn't there always one?) smirked at me, and then I whined that no one appreciates a good pun. Then I ground her into submission.

dpsTANK

Smash Rookie
There's nothing wrong with "Ruby and Perl" unless it's "Ruby and Pearl" (those are from two different generations >_<)

My friends think it's weird when I say "No problem" "On my way" "Just kidding" etc since i rarely use the actual words anymore

At least 75% of the music I listen to is Japanese / Game music

I own 5000+ WoW tcg cards, but have no one to play with

I own 7000+ Magi-Nation tcg cards, and no one knows what that is anymore

85% of the shirts I wear have something WoW related on them

I have/had 3 WoW characters, at least, that I know have 35+(840+ hours) days of consecutive play

I find women of any sort less attractive if they have a dislike of video games, anime or manga

If I spent half the time and energy I have on video games, anime, manga and the like, I might be considered an attractive and useful member of society on a grand scale.

Wow...now that I list it out....I seem kinda like a geek, lol

EDIT: O yea, I'm a video game designer ^_^

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
I can see a divergence here between those who are intelligent "nerdy" and loser nerdy. Interesting (not really).

dpsTANK

Smash Rookie
hey hey, "loser" is such an ugly word >_< i like "creatively inclined"...lol

I've always preferred to separate them as such:

Geeks - People who show more of an inclination towards electronic media (anime, music, video games, etc), rather than the more technical side of things. Not to say they aren't proficient in such, they just don't prefer it.

Nerds - People who are more interested in the more calculating, "intelligent" side of technology (piecing together hardware, programming, hacking ^_^ etc) instead of the media side. Which is not to say they are not interested in the media side, they just like the technical better.

I know this is just imo, but it seems to be a decent way of discerning the two, while not really telling the difference at the same time. Try explaining this to a "normal" person =P it can be kinda hard sometimes.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
- I love Anime (I always check the On Demand section of the Anime Network everyday to see if anew episode has appeared)

- My alarm is a random song from Final Fantasy

- Lately, I've played Melee in Japanese rather than English, after playing Brawl in Japanese

- My playlist of video game music / remixes exceeds 25+ hours, and I listen to it everyday

- My apparel is becoming more of video games, such as a shirt explaining Fire, Fira, and Firaga

- I spend most of my time on the internet in this forum

- I play Final Fantasy VII over and over because the story is one of the best (and kind of cry when Aeris gets killed by Sephiroth)

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
The problem is, there are so many forms of "nerdy" and some just aren't comparable. I have friends that play WoW 8 hours a day, but then I also have friends that can sit and stare at baseball statistics for hours. Both are different games, but both are nerdy. As for me, this is what I got:

-I'm an aerospace engineering major
-There have been several times I've gotten really excited about learning a new characteristic of compressible flow
-I love fables and have several anthologies of them
-I can literally play a game of Smash Brothers in my head
-When I get bored, sometimes I solve mathematical proofs
-I write a lot of poetry and can spend several hours on an 8 line poem
-I get pained everytime some one tells me they saw something on "Braniac" because the show is painfully unscientific
-I got really excited when I finally found the function that determines Catch Rate in Pokemon
-So many other things I'll edit in later

I'm not a computer nerd in the least; just not my cup of tea. But math, arts, sports knowledge, physics intuition...stuff like that I'm chock full of. It's not really comparable to computer nerdiness in my opinion, but then again, it's not a competition so I don't really care.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Surprisingly, I'm not that nerdy. Aside from me posting here, the worst stuff is me hanging in front of the Computer watching smash videos or playing smash multiple hours a day, but I know some people are much worse, so it's not that nerdy I guess. *Shrug*

I know a lot more about.... pretty much everything than my classmates, so it gets a bit annoying having to talk to people that have no clue what they're talking about.

I'm a huge Asterix fan though (French comic character, he's pretty popular in Europe but virtually unknown in the US), I try to get all recent Asterix computer games (I have 2, and a new one came out a few months ago), and I'm starting to write a guide to the secrets even though they're really easy to find.

I balance it out very well though, I get top grades, play Soccer in a club, do Taekwondo, play Basketball in my spare time, play clarinet, and I have catechism class, so my week is pretty full.

Oh yeah, I guess this is sort of nerdy: I go to Math in the class one year ahead of me and I'm still one of the best. >_>

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I guess there really is no standardized definition of what a nerd is. Generally I tend to associate nerdiness with some sort of intelligence. I'll post some more of mine in a bit, no time now.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Keep in mind, this is relative to my school. A lot of people reading this probably won't think these things are that nerdy, because most of them really aren't.

-I have over 10,000 gamerpoints on Xbox Live
-I have internet friends
-I listen to a lot of older music (60s and up)
-I read in my spare time
-I've been trying to get more into anime (only Monster, FLCL, and Death Note have done it)
-The American Civil War fascinates me and I often read books about it (read Bruce Catton)
-I have a song from a videogame on my iPod (Still Alive by GLaDOS)
-I go to church by choice
-I actually expected you to read this post
-I post here
-I used to play JRPGs (barely anymore) and MMOs (PSU and Maple Story, both out the window)
-My sig

-I have a spongebob shirt
Not many spongebob shirts are nerdy, a lot of people around here wear them. Guess it depends on where you live.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Who changed the title of the thread?

-When I'm driving in the rain, I try to calculate my speed entirely by the relative angle of falling raindrops.
-I subconsciously try to determine whether prices (ignoring the decimal point) are prime numbers when buying stuff.
-I can literally solve problems in my sleep. Quite often if I'm having trouble getting a program to work or a proof to close I have a dream about it that night. It essentially lets me work on homework while sleeping.

KMB23

Smash Journeyman
I actually feel alot less nerdy now

- I play alot of video games.
- I get into minor "obsessions". They are mainly bands though.
- I post on these forums.
- I'm in a computer programming class.. though my main reason for doing it is because it's an easy A in an AP class.

That's about it though.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Because I don't want to feel alone in my nerdy lament, I want to hear why you think you're a bigger nerd than me. Or at least why you think you're a nerd.

We need specific examples, people.

I have a T-Shirt that says "Dungeon Master" on the shoulder.

I use 1337 speak in every day conversations naturally.

I can read ASCII binary, and have a binary watch.

I actually get all the jokes on XKCD.

I don't think that "Ruby and Perl" has a typo in it.

What have you got?
I have the same as all of them except I don't have a binary watch (I want one though) and I have a "more cowbell" t shirt instead of Dungeon Master.

Lavos

Smash Journeyman
The words "Blissey" and "Tyraniboah" make me cringe.

I watch anime. A lot...

I could tell you about the state of the videogame industry, complete with numbers and statements from company representatives, at almost any given time.

I never bothered to figure out the rules of football until midway through highschool.

I tend to get angry with people when they sing because I'm so picky about vocal tones. I swear, I could replace Simon on American Idol and no one would notice the difference.

I love theoretical physics

need I go on?

Top Bottom