• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how much do you practice?

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I usually play 30 minutes every few days at home. At school, I play about 2 1/2 hours worth.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
yeah no life...

I play around 2.5-4 hours in college a day against people (mainly n00bs, but maybe 3 people my level and no scrubs--by which I mean people who aren't trying to get past n00b) and then I practice in 15-30 minute intervals at night (anywhere from 1-6 times, depending on schedule of the next day).

--and next semester I have even more time...

Kerocola

Smash Apprentice
Whenever I'm bored or have a bit of free time, I'm occupied with this game. Mainly with advancing my technical skill, and play a few friendlies, which is good human practice. No specific time set here, though lately I've been getting in a nice, juicy hour or two. I find the game fun, so when I haev a chance aganist another human, I take it for sure. That's my practice. I get in contact with people when I go to tournaments, because fighting one person isn't exactly the best. That's improving in fights, so mostly it's just me, training mode, practice my technical skill. Then all that will be slowly entering my gameplay, during a friendly match.

pdk

Smash Lord
not at all when alone save for obviously trying out some nifty new trick or something (hasn't been in a while), i just wait for the chance to play with people otherwise (also hasn't been in a while, i know, pitt ;_;)

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I play a lot when people are around but otherwise i just add in a couple of hours here or there during the week, even less now that my cube is broken so its just when people get together to smash.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Since I can do practically all the techs I need but not with perfect consistency, I still practice about an hour to two hours a day against random level. 4 comps. Level 4s because they actually move a bit so it helps me keep in mind to move fast.
When I play with a friend its usually 4-5 hours a day... and on a tournament day.... hell, I dunno.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
I usually practice 2 hours per day and play with my friends on weekends

Somasu

Smash Ace
Usually my best time to practice is with my GPC buds. We smash almost every day, so I count that as my practice. And those smashfests can last for.. several hours that I'd rather not count.

On days where we aren't hanging out, I usually get about an hour or so practice a day against a level 1 computer, mainly to practice techs and combos

XZalla

Smash Journeyman
3-5hrs. Just enough to rememer the memory motions of my hands. Probably 2hrs more on meditating. ;>

Obikun

Smash Apprentice
Only on weekends for about 2-6 hours with my friends. The reason is that I already dominated the use of wavedash, cancel, etc... But I still need to practice and improve my combos and playing style. Thats why I prefer playing with some friends instead of playing againts a CPU. You could get better and KNOW you are getting better because you are fighting a Human player and not a computer. It has ocurred to me in the past that I practice a LOT againts a computer. Then I start to think "WOW, I'm beating the crap out of the computer, I think I'm ready to do the same againts my friends", and then when I go head to head againts them, I lose in a HORRIBLE way:urg: . But know when I fight them, I don't lose in a horrible way, just a bad way.:laugh:

Lightshade

Smash Ace
My theory of practicing is playing against actual humans. You won't get anything worthwhile out of playing against CPUs, so why bother? Humans learn, and the AI sucks in SSBM to begin with so I don't bother. I only play this game with friends now.

Chinkku397

Smash Rookie
I practice never.

Practice is boring. I play people if they want to play, otherwise, I don't play by myself. There are much better 1-player games than Smash.
That's the same with me but if it's the week of a tournament, I'll play the com. if nessesary. I play for a half hour with friends during the day.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
When you're really good at this game you don't need to practice too much, the only thing you need is experience and that will come when you play with better people than you

StellaNova

Smash Journeyman
I spend usually 2 hours a day practicing depending on what my schedule is for the day. College gets time consuming at times. Then there are the occasional STD's (Smash Till Dawn)

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
I practice like a hour a day then make a video and ask someone who wouldn't mind watching it to watch it to give me a few pointers since its very hard to find super smash brothers melee players

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
Up in college, if my roomie or one of my friends wanted to...I generally would. For 30 mins to an hour depending on how much time I have. We would have smash fests every 2-3 weeks that lasted a good few hours...and the occasional lan party which was smash till you couldn't stand up anymore (or breakfast time, whichever came first).

At home, I go on for a little bit here and there to do technical practice and that is about it.

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
STD = Smash Till Dawn. no dirty intentions in that
>.>;;

Right. I knew that.

Yea, we have that type of thing on occasion. Nothing that we set up, when we do the smash fests they tend to end around 3-4 am. The lan parties are alot bigger - we don't really have a hand in setting them up. I have only been to 3 or so this past school year.

strider43

Smash Journeyman
3-4 hours just practicing with foxes waveshines on all level 9 characters. Anyone have a way to Wave shine level 9 fox?

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Set the damage ratio on 0.5 turn the handicap on and put yours on 1 then pick up
fox as your opponent and waveshine him all the day if you want

go2chutch

Smash Cadet
that depends on your definition of practice, if you mean work on technical skilz solo, almost never but if you also mean playing with my friends for the sake of improvment every day. ive found that practicing solo actualy makes me worse. and not like getting worse for the sake of getting better in the long run but pointlessly bad. the only thing i use comps for nowdays is waveshine practice.

Top Bottom