• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many sets of Yoshi controls do you have?

Chaco

Never Logs In
This might sound weird, but I wanna see if anyone else does this. I have three. Tap off, tap on, and tap on.

Tap off is for people you can egg camp.

First tap on is for DRing/DT abilities

Second is for easy grab tricks, and aerial versatility.

bigman40

Smash Master
Only one. Tap off, L = attack, ZR = shield, R = grab. This handles all my moves whenever I need to use them. Plus, I'm still learning a few more tricks ;)

Chaco

Never Logs In
I like those controls Scat, might have to try them. They seem to cover all needs. Excellent!

bigman40

Smash Master
If you like using the Classic controller (I have the nyko connector to make it bigger), then it'll work great for you. If you use GC, I have a completely different setup.

L = attack, B = jump, X = specials, and tap off. It's a tad hard, but the feeling gets easier when I want to do all my moves.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I just have one: L as jump, and tap jump off.

Not that that is a problem... right?

>.>

<.<

Ostro

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7252-9309-8314
I have two. A basic one simply with tap jump off, and one like Scat's, but I use ZL to shield as well since I tend to alternate based one what direction I'm facing.

Since I've started using the second setup a while ago, It seemed like tilts came out faster with L because it's less sensitive to smashes, along with easy DR. Faster tilts work wonders.

(I have the nyko connector to make it bigger)
Sorry to be off topic, but this thing is awesome. The Classic controller is useless w/o it.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I use Classic Controller
L Shield
R,ZR,ZL Jump
Y Special
X Grab
B Jump
A Attack

Secondary Controls only for other Chars

I tried with Tap Jump on but I failt. It disturbed while Egg Recovering.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
i think its too complicated to have multiple sets of controls, what do u do at a tourney make all these extra names w/ ur controls?

so i just have one bear in mind i don't really use ETS or DR and i also main Sheik who i DACUS w/
tap jump off
R=attack

actually i can get ETS and DR w/out special controls though its hard and i have yet to adopt it into my game...i just realized maybe if i slid from Y rather than X to upB that would make ETS easier
i suppose i could try making Y grab and Z jump but i'm afraid that would just confuse me heh

Chaco

Never Logs In
XD I haven't gone to a real tourney. Too far in TN.

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
I made this thread about 2 weeks ago, didn't i?
Anyway, i still just have tap jump off and y to special, similar to bigman's GC, also i never use b, so it doesen't matter what its set to, would b to jump be helpful if you think?

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
well i usually use tap off and and L as jump on gamecube controller, but im gonna test using x as shield cause i feel that its takes to long to use r sometimes

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
Default, only C stick is for tilts, and smashes are done by smashing the control stick and pressing A.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
so i finally broke down and made two sets of controls one for Sheik and one for Yoshi lol

set up for ETS with R as jump and tap jump off of course...alot like the one i have for Sheik actually except R is attack so its perfect.
as for DR i dunno if i'll be using that so much anyways

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: One with tap for DR, one without for everything else.

You guys should try using Y to grab, it ridix LOL! I made a few other changes (there's a funny story behind this that I might share later), but that is easily one of the most impacting and beneficial changes I've made.

Chaco

Never Logs In
actually i asked mr. clutch how he DR'd so easily and he said he used tap jump and L=jump and got used to it so.... idk how he did with recovering...ill ask. =P
Dude...dear god...that's what I've been preaching for like six months.

auroreon

Smash Ace
LOL, I think I'm still the only person here who uses only tap jump on.
Nope, I only use default controls. I've tried tap jump off many times but it just feels so wrong after playing for years with it on for SSB and SSBM. Whenever I have tried tap jump off I can barely even move around properly, let alone play a match, everytime I want to jump I find myself moving the control stick up. As if that wasn't enough you can't even ETS of DR easily with it off! Insanity I tells ya... especially seeing as how I ETS almost every egg I throw. Its just not worth it just so you can throw eggs while your off the edge.
I hounestly don't understand how you can play without tap jump on...

I CERTAINLY couldn't use both, I can't see how anyone could possibly play both. Surely you would get used to either having it on or off.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
I just wanna say yikarur is the man!

also

GC controller

tap off, Y set to grab

Gindler

Smash Champion
I need to get a control scheme to get draconic reverse down better. How do you do it scatz? saw your combo vid with alot of DR incorporated into it. thanks

digs

Smash Rookie
Nope, I only use default controls. I've tried tap jump off many times but it just feels so wrong after playing for years with it on for SSB and SSBM. Whenever I have tried tap jump off I can barely even move around properly, let alone play a match, everytime I want to jump I find myself moving the control stick up. As if that wasn't enough you can't even ETS of DR easily with it off! Insanity I tells ya... especially seeing as how I ETS almost every egg I throw. Its just not worth it just so you can throw eggs while your off the edge.
I hounestly don't understand how you can play without tap jump on...

I CERTAINLY couldn't use both, I can't see how anyone could possibly play both. Surely you would get used to either having it on or off.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=192513

I pretty much only use the default control scheme.
QFE.

I feel the exact same way as auroreon on this one, and 0rion's thread gives the main reason why I don't mind it so much. Essentially, I got so used to using the up-tilt on Melee without jumping that it's practically natural to keep myself from using my second jump when recovering low with an egg toss. However, more often than not, I find that I tend to recover high instead of low, meaning the egg toss isn't as useful for my style of recovery play at times. The only thing this probably hurts is the Egg Canceled Egg Toss, since it can sometimes use the second jump, but I haven't found this to be too big a problem. Plus, if you do the Edge Canceled Egg Toss too much, you have to use your second jump to do it anyways.

I haven't figured out a scheme that works for me on the classic controller. Since I rarely play with it, I haven't messed with much more than the default scheme, with a few tweeks here and there. I might experiment with it more in the future, though.

bigman40

Smash Master
I need to get a control scheme to get draconic reverse down better. How do you do it scatz? saw your combo vid with alot of DR incorporated into it. thanks
When I made that combo video, I was still using the Classic controller. By far, it was very easy for me to DR cause I didn't have to try to double tap a jump button (which I hate doing). I've recently moved to GC now and I've set the controls to:

R = Grab
L = Attack
Z = Shield
X = Speical
B = Jump

I like having to slide my thumb to get the DR/DT to work cause it's much easier on me, since the amount of energy you're creating to do DR/DT with the tapping method (XXA or YYA) is alot of than a sliding method (for me: YBL or YBC-stick). And mainly, the rest is from practicing and putting it in my game when I play.

On another note, I know most people are probably wondering how I can change my controls soo many times and still play good (I just like change every now and then xD), or use the control setup I have now and do all the techs that are needed for yoshi. Most of the time, I mainly have to slide to get what I want now, like for:

ETS - Y to X.
DR/DT - Y to B to L/C-stick.
Quick Pivot grabbing - R to C-stick
and more random stuff. I'm just that guy who will try to find that best set up, even if it's the wierdest one out there xD

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
It was shown in a video (I can't remember which) where yoshi can repeatedly pivot grab as soon as he was done with one. useful if you need to get pivot grabs out immediately
Do I have to use the C-stick? Would pressing A do the job?

Top Bottom