• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many reps do you think each franchise already in deserves?

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Zelda: 7: :ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ulttoonlink: (Impa, Skull Kid, Vaati)
Sorry for the double post, but I just saw this now.

How does it make sense to cut Sheik but add Skull Kid? Sheik is from a more iconic and well received game in Zelda's history, and Skull Kid is just as much of a one-off as Sheik.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Sorry for the double post, but I just saw this now.

How does it make sense to cut Sheik but add Skull Kid? Sheik is from a more iconic and well received game in Zelda's history, and Skull Kid is just as much of a one-off as Sheik.
  • Because I like Skull Kid as a character better than Sheik
  • Because The Links, Ganon and Zelda are the only Triforce bearers we need
  • Because Skull Kid is incredibly popular
  • Because most of Sheik's moveset is made up anyway
  • Because OOT is already represented with Ganon whereas MM is lacking a rep

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
  • Because I like Skull Kid as a character better than Sheik
  • Because The Links, Ganon and Zelda are the only Triforce bearers we need
  • Because Skull Kid is incredibly popular
  • Because most of Sheik's moveset is made up anyway
  • Because OOT is already represented with Ganon whereas MM is lacking a rep
Sheik is also incredibly popular, and a sizeable portion of everyone’s moveset is made up. Also, Ganondorf isn’t only from OoT.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Sheik is also incredibly popular, and a sizeable portion of everyone’s moveset is made up. Also, Ganondorf isn’t only from OoT.
Yes but ganondorf first appeared in OOT and if I were making the roster I'd keep him from OOT and incorporate moves like phantom ganon's lightning into his moveset.

Also who cares jeez it's just one fighter I already explained my reasons.

R O F L

Smash Ace
Pikmin doesn’t need a rep that badly, imo. It’s mostly the pikmin gimmick, until there are enough other pikmin types to make a distinct fighter it should stay with Alph.
Why lock all potential Pikmin reps behind that one gimmick? Look at Louie, probably the second most important Pikmin character, he doesn't need to use Pikmin like Olimar, he could use various enemies from the Pikmin franchise as attacks. Some of the bosses and enemies could potentially work too, like Plasm Wraith (who BTW could have a really neat size and weight changing gimmick), Empereor Bulblax, or even just a normal Bulborb. Although, despite how much I love the franchise, other franchises deserve reps way more than Pikmin does IMO.

Kirby is heavily underrepresented and most certainly constitutes seven fighters. So does Zelda.
I can agree with Zelda, but not Kirby. Looking at the Kirby franchises' sales, characters, and popularity, it should only have about two more. IMO those two should be Bandana Dee, and any boss character, I'd personally want Magolor the most.

Splatoon has 4.5 sicne it's really popular but there's like no way to declone the octoling.
The problem with this is that Splatoon doesn't really have any fighters that could work outside of Inklings and Octolings. Callie/Marie and Octavio wouldn't work well as fighters. I agree Splatoon should have more representation, but not through fighters. Same with Animal Crossing.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Agree with the sentiment that no franchise should have more reps than the Mario series. Just makes sense.

Fire Emblem could stand to lose a couple...

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Yes but ganondorf first appeared in OOT and if I were making the roster I'd keep him from OOT and incorporate moves like phantom ganon's lightning into his moveset.

Also who cares jeez it's just one fighter I already explained my reasons.
Relax, and be a little more open to debate. Ganondorf first appeared in OoT, but that doesn’t mean we should ignore the other games. Link’s first appearance bears almost no resemblance to his moveset.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
To be fair, although Sheik is certainly wildly popular, I definitely would not say she’s more popular than Skull Kid. Skull Kid’s made recurring appearances, but his appearance in Majora’s mask is simply undeniable as one of the most iconic figures in gaming history. Skull Kid would actually represent the game he comes from, using moves like Majora’s darkness or maybe even the ocarina, while Sheik, for all intents and purposes, just has a stereotypical ‘ninja’ moveset that doesn’t represent any of OoT in the slightest. Now, granted, I am biased since Skull Kid is my most wanted, but these points are not made up and I certainly could argue for his inclusion all day long

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I can agree with Zelda, but not Kirby. Looking at the Kirby franchises' sales, characters, and popularity, it should only have about two more. IMO those two should be Bandana Dee, and any boss character, I'd personally want Magolor the most.
I feel like it's fine at seven. It's one of Nintendo's most popular IP's that they still manage today. The series is incredibly popular and boasts several uniquely designed characters with great moveset potential. The number it has fits in well with the way other series are represented.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
To be fair, although Sheik is certainly wildly popular, I definitely would not say she’s more popular than Skull Kid. Skull Kid’s made recurring appearances, but his appearance in Majora’s mask is simply undeniable as one of the most iconic figures in gaming history. Skull Kid would actually represent the game he comes from, using moves like Majora’s darkness or maybe even the ocarina, while Sheik, for all intents and purposes, just has a stereotypical ‘ninja’ moveset that doesn’t represent any of OoT in the slightest. Now, granted, I am biased since Skull Kid is my most wanted, but these points are not made up and I certainly could argue for his inclusion all day long
I’ve never argued against his inclusion, I’ve just argued why Sheik should’ve made it first. She’s just from a more iconic game, and while her moveset is nothing special, I think changing her moveset to more properly align with her OoT appearance would be better.

R O F L

Smash Ace
I feel like it's fine at seven. It's one of Nintendo's most popular IP's that they still manage today. The series is incredibly popular and boasts several uniquely designed characters with great moveset potential. The number it has fits in well with the way other series are represented.
It's still nowhere near the lines of Mario, LoZ, or Pokemon, in fact the series has sold less than Mario, Pokemon, TLoZ, Sonic, Wii, Wii Fit, Metal Gear, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Final Fantasy, and even Smash Bros. itself. Imo it shouldn't share a fighter count with Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon. And almost all Kirby characters not in Smash only have one major appearance, (Adeline, Marx, Magolor, etc.) We shouldn't get more than one one-time Kirby characters.

Edit: The only area where the franchise is popular is in Japan, and there it's not really his games that are popular, pretty much just his character.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
Series that I feel are good in terms of representation:

• Mario (8.5)
  • Metroid (3.5)
  • Yoshi (1)
  • Star Fox (3)
  • Pokemon (8/10)
  • Mother (2)
  • Ice Climber (1)
  • Game and Watch (1)
  • Metal Gear (1)
  • Gyromite (1)
  • Animal Crossing (2)
  • Mega Man (1)
  • Wii Fit (1)
  • Punch Out!! (1)
  • Pac-Man (1)
  • Duck Hunt (1)
  • Street Fighter (1.5)
  • Final Fantasy (1)
  • Bayonetta (1)
  • Splatoon (1)
Series the may or may not need more representation:
  • Donkey Kong (3)
    • One could argue about Dixie Kong.
  • F-Zero (1)
    • Could use an echo fighter.
  • Wario
    • Could use another character (Ashley? Waluigi?).
  • Sonic (1)
    • Could use an echo fighter.
  • Pikmin (1)
    • Alph should have been an echo fighter.
Series that definitely need more representation:
  • Legend of Zelda (6)
    • Desperately need a new unique character. It hasn't gotten any in 17 years.
  • Kirby (3)
    • Why isn't there a fourth Kirby character yet? They're highly requested in Japan, among a few other factors.
Series that are arguably over-represented:
  • Fire Emblem (6)
    • If we get another FE character, it better not be another sword character. Every single FE character in Ultimate uses a sword, and 4 of the 7 FE characters are based off of the same moveset. I will only accept a new FE character if they don't use a sword.
  • Kid Icarus (2.5)
    • Dark Pit is pointless, plain and simple. Eh, whatever.
  • Castlevania (1.5)
    • This could go either way. I'm fine with Richter though, but I would have preferred a Sonic echo over a Castlevania echo.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
It's still nowhere near the lines of Mario, LoZ, or Pokemon, in fact the series has sold less than Mario, Pokemon, TLoZ, Sonic, Wii, Wii Fit, Metal Gear, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Final Fantasy, and even Smash Bros. itself. Imo it shouldn't share a fighter count with Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon. And almost all Kirby characters not in Smash only have one major appearance, (Adeline, Marx, Magolor, etc.) We shouldn't get more than one one-time Kirby characters.

Edit: The only area where the franchise is popular is in Japan, and there it's not really his games that are popular, pretty much just his character.
I had more fighters for Mario and Zelda but I wasn't sure how they'd be received (they're kind of personal picks)
Wii games are represented with the Miis
Wii Fit has no eligible fighters other than WFT
DK has sold great but clearly Nintendo isn't pushing it as much anymore, and there aren't many characters to choose from outside of the ones listed.
Smash Bros itself? What, is Galeem a fighter (that.....that would be cool actually)?
Third parties shouldn't even be in Smash IMO. Neither should retro series.

The point I'm trying to make is yes it's popular in both the west and japan, look at the ballot results. It has sold roughly 40 million copies, which is a lot. Unlike other series, there's very little redundancy in the design and moveset potential of it's characters.
  • The series sells well
  • It's very popular
  • The characters would all bring something new to Smash
  • The characters are all designed in their own unique way
And no, the characters you listed don't have one major appearance. In fact, all of the characters you listed have appeared several times
Adeline: Boss in DL3 and 64, playable character in Star Allies, various cameos otherwise
Marx: Boss in SS, SSU, Mass Attack, playable character in Star Allies, various cameos otherwise
Magolor: Boss in RtDL, helps Kirby in KCD, playable character in Star Allies, various cameos otherwise

Besides there are plenty of characters on my list who made smaller appearances or are truly one offs. Rex and Pyra, Skull Kid, whoever the rotating fighters are for Pokemon and FE, etc. all have small appearances.

If you don't like how I organized it great. Go make your own roster with less if you want to. I've explained my reasoning here.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Zelda is the oddest outlier for me. Half of it’s reps have clone orgins. If semi-clones are counted harsher Zelda has 4,5 while being so influental, and with great sales.

List seems largely fine/based on the actual roster. Fire emblem is tamer then it looks due to the Marth clonefest, especially since Roy’s reputation got him to be DLC. If Corrin wasn’t a DLC before, he would have gotten in on his own merits in this new game. And Chrom is a double clone to boot. They score 5,5 I think? Kirby and DK might deserve waddle dee and Dixie. I don’t see DK getting a 5th non clone soon on country’s merits though. Star fox and F-zero have a lack of remaining deserving characters. Everybody would welcome black shadow as former Ganondorf though.

Pikmin doesn’t need a rep that badly, imo. It’s mostly the pikmin gimmick, until there are enough other pikmin types to make a distinct fighter it should stay with Alph.
I would use the Titan Dweevil as the 2nd Pikmin newcomer

newsuperhackboys

Smash Cadet
Usually, I fine with 2 newcomers for every veteran franchise. For Retro characters, 2 newcomers is fine as well. As for Third Party, I usually prefer 3 newcomers. Amount of echo fighters doesn't matter for me.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I don't care if a series is more popular than another. I'm about fair representation, so that means I'd cut the Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, and Fire Emblem series. For those who may only ever receive one rep, I'd throw those characters under a specific genre that is associated with classic games. While there are many franchises that could be considered "classic", this genre would group those who aren't considered relevant, let alone have a variety of characters to choose from, given either the limited or lack of deuteragonists or antagonists.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Your idea of "Fair" is not universal. Some would consider it fair for accomplishment to be rewarded with more fighters.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
I've always thought the idea of each series "deserving" an allotted amount of characters was always a thing people did to keep speculation in check.
If not, there would be an absurd amount of rosters with unbalanced choices and the like.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I don't care if a series is more popular than another. I'm about fair representation, so that means I'd cut the Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, and Fire Emblem series. For those who may only ever receive one rep, I'd throw those characters under a specific genre that is associated with classic games. While there are many franchises that could be considered "classic", this genre would group those who aren't considered relevant, let alone have a variety of characters to choose from, given either the limited or lack of deuteragonists or antagonists.
Please elaborate. I'd like to hear your definition of "Classic" and which series fall under that category.

I'd also like to understand what constitutes "fair" in your idea. With no explanation it sounds like there's an ideal amount of fighters (X), and if a series has more than X fighters that's "unfair" representation and should receive cuts.

I....really don't understand this. Perhaps you could explain your reasoning?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Please elaborate. I'd like to hear your definition of "Classic" and which series fall under that category.

I'd also like to understand what constitutes "fair" in your idea. With no explanation it sounds like there's an ideal amount of fighters (X), and if a series has more than X fighters that's "unfair" representation and should receive cuts.

I....really don't understand this. Perhaps you could explain your reasoning?
By "classic" I'm referring to characters like Duck Hunt, Pac-Man, Little Mac. These characters are pretty old. Mario could be considered classic, but that series has plenty of characters.

By "fair" I mean every series has the same amount of characters who don't fall under "classic".

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
should ninendo include popular well known chracters or "be fair" and cut those characters for unknown ones that know one knows, what be the better decision hmmmm.......

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Franchises I think absolutely need a newcomer:

1: Donkey Kong Country.

For the obvious missing Dixie. Outside of that there’s also tons of potential for the likes of Cranky Kong. And if they really wanted to, Rambi the rhino is also a very unique idea.

2: Legend of Zelda.

Wanted a proper newcomer ever since before Brawl. It’s more or less the same roster as it was in Melee. Sure, Young Link and Toon Link are just now regarded as total different characters, but we all know Toon Link was basically meant to be a Young Link expy. Sakurai cheated us twice now, with Smash 4 giving us separate Zelda and Sheik, and Ultimate with the return of Young Link despite all the odds. As for potential newcomers? Impa, Ganon and Skull Kid are obvious front runners. Even if it where just Impa as a Echo of Sheik or semi clone, that would already be great at this point.

3: Kirby

Bandana Dee or any other character should be in by now.

4: Star Fox

Yes I actually wouldn’t be opposed to a new Star Fox character. The original Star Fox crew is iconic enough because of SF64 and it’s many remakes. Even if it where just Slippy Toad as a Falco Echo who’s a little shorter would be a great addition.

5: Fire Emblem

Sorry don’t shoot me. This franchise is amazing, growing thanks to Smash, gained tons of popularity thanks to Smash and Fire Emblem Heroes, and has potential for even more Echoes or semi clones who would be well received. Even Chrom, a Echo of a semi clone, was received really well for his subtle differences from Roy. I wouldn’t be opposed to say, Celica as a mixture semi clone of Marth and Robin for example.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I think that a franchise doesn't "deserve" a certain amount of characters.
I think that each franchise should get a certain amount of characters depending on what the series can offer.
For example, the Metroid series can offer few characters, so it's fine that it has just 3.

Some series such as Zelda, Kirby, or even Starfox, have many characters that could be playable, but they still aren't in. Those characters IMO "deserve" to be in the game simply because they offer some new fun gameplay.
I'm not much into adding a character for the sake of it being popular or "important"; for example, I would gladly take Krystal over Slippy or Peppy simply for her possible gameplay with the staff.

On the subject of Kirby, there are so many characters with unique skills in the franchise that having only the main 3 IMO is a waste of potential.
They should have started adding more Kirby characters since Smash 4... now adding all of them at once would feel odd.
I think that at least one Dark Matter trilogy character and one modern character should be in the game already (I would personally go for Adeleine and Magolor); I wouldn't be opposed to getting even more.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
should ninendo include popular well known chracters or "be fair" and cut those characters for unknown ones that know one knows, what be the better decision hmmmm.......
You do realize Smash included unknown, unpopular characters, do you not? Who the hell is Ness? Who is this guy who keeps saying "Falcon Punch"? I've never heard of Fire Emblem. Oh, it was only released in Japan. Never heard of Ice Climbers. Are they siblings or partners? R.O.B.? I must have been in my dad's balls at the time.

Iko MattOrr Iko MattOrr
Few? Considering the cannon fodder that is Piranha Plant, a popular Metroid enemy like Geemer could be introduced. Or what about a Metroid, perhaps the Zeta or Omega kind? There are plenty of hunters as well, including Sylux. Or why not Anthony Higgs, one of the most likable characters in Metroid: Other M? Space Pirate could be a conglomerate character consisting of a variety of abilities of the general space pirate race. The only limit to one's imagination is oneself.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Few? Considering the cannon fodder that is Piranha Plant, a popular Metroid enemy like Geemer could be introduced. Or what about a Metroid, perhaps the Zeta or Omega kind? There are plenty of hunters as well, including Sylux. Or why not Anthony Higgs, one of the most likable characters in Metroid: Other M? Space Pirate could be a conglomerate character consisting of a variety of abilities of the general space pirate race. The only limit to one's imagination is oneself.
I think that an evolved Metroid might work as a fighter (but they are still a low priority IMO, metroids are already represented in Smash through assist trophies, and Zeta/Omega is not their iconic form), but I doubt any other character "deserves" to be in Smash.
Maybe Sylux if he gets more development in the future, but so far he's not ready yet (MP4 maybe?).
Anyway, none of them have a special gameplay gimmick that would make the character unique and interesting even just for gameplay alone; they pretty much either shot beams and bombs (like Samus) or are fierce alien beasts (like Ridley).

So far I'm fine with what the roster offers already (about Metroid); if anything, declone Dark Samus and use the Phazon as a gimmick (maybe reusing Inkling's ink physics).

D

Deleted member

I don't have a specific limit.

That being said, I feel like the perfect Mario roster would need to have Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Wario, Waluigi, Bowser, Bowsy and Pauline to feel right.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I think that an evolved Metroid might work as a fighter (but they are still a low priority IMO, metroids are already represented in Smash through assist trophies, and Zeta/Omega is not their iconic form), but I doubt any other character "deserves" to be in Smash.
Maybe Sylux if he gets more development in the future, but so far he's not ready yet (MP4 maybe?).
Anyway, none of them have a special gameplay gimmick that would make the character unique and interesting even just for gameplay alone; they pretty much either shot beams and bombs (like Samus) or are fierce alien beasts (like Ridley).

So far I'm fine with what the roster offers already (about Metroid); if anything, declone Dark Samus and use the Phazon as a gimmick (maybe reusing Inkling's ink physics).
If characters can be represented through assist trophies, then most Mario, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and Zelda chracters can be relegated to assist trophies. Omega Metroid could be an ideal character to represent a series it's named after, with her Final Smash being Queen Metroid. (Also, another female character.) As for "unique" or "interesting", these are purely subjective, but even then, all you'd have to do is take a visit to Make Your Move threads if you care a lot about uniqueness and interest. Again, the only limit to your imagination is yourself.

Last edited:

Gryphon827

Smash Apprentice
Sonic honestly deserves more than one rep, considering how popular the series was in its prime. 5 reps (sonic, tails, shadow, knuckles and silver) would better suit the series.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Sonic honestly deserves more than one rep, considering how popular the series was in its prime. 5 reps (sonic, tails, shadow, knuckles and silver) would better suit the series.
minus silver and add dr. robotnik

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I personally believe that spots don’t matter, but here’s how I’d do it

First, I believe the main 4 should take charge of the roster, that being Mario, Zelda, Kirby, and Pokemon. Each of these four are clearly within the most recognizable category when it comes to Nintendo series as everyone can name Mario, Zelda is easily one of the biggest in terms of system sellers, Pokemon is one of the most recognizable brands in the world, and Kirby is way more well known than people give him credit for, trust me most Nintendo casuals seem to lie within the Mario and Kirby communities. I think these four should stay relatively balanced in terms of roster slots as they are the main all stars that are still kicking and aren’t connected to Mario, so they should have an equal amount of reps and take up a good bulk of the roster.

The next in line for characters would be the B tiers, having less than the top, but stay relatively stacked, let’s say a 2/3 ratio to the top. This category definitely fits Metroid, Star Fox, Donkey Kong, Xenoblade, Splatoon and even Pikmin. All of the aforementioned franchises are big enough to deserve around 4 or so reps, but they should all stay under the top dogs in terms of representation.

[As a side note, I should highlight some outliers to the rules as they fit the two categories, but wouldn’t use the same rules. The first franchise is Fire Emblem as I think that it’s a B tier franchise, but due to the changing casts of every title, it’s representation should lean more towards the Top. On the opposite spectrum, Yoshi, Wario and Animal Crossing should all be B tier, but due to a lack of characters will be treated as C tier.]

Next is C tier which has franchise that make up 1/3 of the top. Mother and F-Zero fall within this category, and will have around 2 characters at most.

Finally is D tier which is 1 character franchises, ie Retro or something along the lines of Wii Fit.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I'll sum up my thoughts with the format you provided but only include the franchises that I have much of an opinion on as I've actually played hardly any of the games all the characters in Smash are from. Note, I'm bigger on character variety than 'franchise deserving' and if third party characters fit that bill then so be it.

Mario: (No Limit)
Pokemon: (No Limit)
Donkey Kong: 3.
Legend of Zelda: 6-7
Fire Emblem: 4-5
Sonic: 2-5
Mega Man: 2
Street Fighter: 2
Splatoon: 1.5-2

With that out of the way, I'll explain my choices. First off, the Mario and Pokemon franchises are both huge for Nintendo and they both offer a huge variety of unique and wacky fighter variety. Heck, the majority of the Smash cast could be pokemon and I'd be perfectly happy because of all the cool pokemon that could be played as.

It seems a lot of the potential characters for the DK franchise that I'm aware of would be a bit redundant at this point so I'm fairly happy with what we got in Ultimate.

The Legend of Zelda games are so popular I can't see their character list shrinking but I think it'd be nice if continued to shake up or remove some of their current characters then add one or two more. For example, having 3 Links is cool and all but really not needed so I can see at least one being ousted in future games. And hey, sense we have a second version of Link and practically Zelda too why not a second Ganondorf as well that focuses on his magical abilities like some have been wanting? That way you don't get rid of the most commonly played character online in Ultimate lol.

Fire Emblem characters have gotten incredibly redundant. I appreciate the efforts the team has gone through to make each of those characters feel different from each other but it hasn't been enough to shake the feeling Marth has created his own family line of characters within Smash lol. I'd cut it down to Marth, Robin, Corrin, and Roy (with some aspects taken from Ike). If they can add a more unique character from the franchise like potentially an axe wielder with more creative specials than their predecessors then I can see a 5th character being added once again.

The Sonic franchise is quite popular and I'm beyond surprised we don't have at least one other representative from it. I'd love to see Knuckles, Tails, Mighty, and Silver all as playable characters and I think despite it being 3rd party it more than deserves many extra characters in Smash. The franchise is big enough for Sonic and his gang to face Mario's crew many times in the Olympics after all :smirk:

Another 3rd part franchise that honestly probably only needs the current Mega Man as a character in the game but I think it would be cool if someone like Zero was added too (despite being an assist trophy).

Ken was an interesting choice for an addition but I still don't think both Ken and Ryu need to be in Smash. Would have rather seen Chun Li or some other more unique addition. Though, I suppose she would have been relatively similar to Mii Brawler with how you can customize them.

Lastly, Splatoon definitely seems like it could use one more character but unless they are different enough I don't think it should happen. After all, we JUST got Inkling!

i am idiot

Smash Rookie
Mario: infinite
yoshi: 1
wario: 1
dk: 4-5
zelda: 7
metroid: 5-6
kirby: 4-5
star fox: 3-4
pokemon: infinite
earthbound: 2-3
f-zero: 1
****ING FIRE EMBLEM: 4-5
kid Icarus: 3
pikmin: 2
animal crossing: 4
wii fit: 0-1
punch out: 1 (MAYBE 2)
xenoblade: 2
splatoon: 1-3

ive split the 3rd parties and retros into their own sections

i don't count retro series since i really don't expect them to become multiple character series (it can still happen though)

i look at 3rd party "reps" based on companies and i think it should be 3 per company and 1 echo

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I have to agree with Iko MattOrr Iko MattOrr that it shouldn't be based on sales or popularity, but by how much unique and interesting content the series can offer. SO if that means Fire Emblem has 50 fighters, so be it.

But if we're strictly doing this on a number limit bases:
Mario: 7-9
Pokemon: Unlimited (considering there are new pokemon wth veery new installment of Smash)
Zelda: 6-8
Kirby: 6-7
DK: 3-6
Metroid: 2-3
Star Fox: 2-4
Yoshi: 1-2
Earthbound: 1-3
F-Zero: 1-2
Fire Emblem: 4-5
Kid Icarus: 2-4
Wario: 1-2
Sonic: 1-3
Pikmin: 1-2
Animal Crossing: 1-2
Mega Man: 1-3
Wii Fit: 0-1
Punch-Out!: 0-1
PAC-MAN: 1
Xenoblade Chronicles: 1-3
Street Fighter: 1-3
Final Fantasy: Good lord who knows
Bayonetta: 1-2
Splatoon: 2-4
Castlevania: 1-3

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Mario (7)-:ultmario::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultpiranha:(Waluigi) (King Wart) (:ultdoc:/:ultrosalina:are cut)
Donkey Kong (4)-:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:(Cranky Kong)
Legend of Zelda (3)-:ultlink::ultzelda: (CD-I :ultganondorf:) (:ultsheik:/:ultyounglink:/:ulttoonlink:are cut)
Metroid (4)-:ultsamus::ultridley:(:ultdarksamus:De-Echoed to Fighter) (Sylux) (:ultzss:is cut)
Yoshi (2)-:ultyoshi: (Poochy)
Kirby (6)-:ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight: (Bandana Dee) (Keeby) (Knuckle Joe)
Star Fox (5)-:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf: (Peppy) (Slippy)
Poke'mon (8)-:ultpikachu::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultgreninja::ultincineroar: (Gen 3-Regi Trio) (Gen 5-Joltik) (:ultjigglypuff:/:ultpichu:/:ultlucario:are cut)
Luigi's Mansion (2)-:ultluigi:(King Boo)
Earthbound (1)-:ultness: (:ultlucas:is cut)
Fire Emblem (4)-:ultmarth::ultike::ultrobin:(Camilla) (:ultlucina:/:ultchrom: are alt costumes with :ultcorrin:/:ultroy:are cut)
Wario (2)-:ultwario: (Shake King)
Kid Icarus (3)-:ultpit::ultpalutena: (:ultdarkpit:De-Echoed to Fighter with new moveset)
Retro (8)-:ultgnw::ulticeclimbers::ultrob::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt: (Virtual Boy) (Tetrimino) (F-Type)
3rd Party (9)-:ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultbayonetta::ultsimon: (Rayman) (Popeye) (Dr. Eggman) (:ultsnake:is cut)
That makes 68 Fighters except for the cut ones

Last edited:
Top Bottom