• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many of you like melee over brawl?

JJBro1

Smash Journeyman
Just curious to see how many of you prefer melee over brawl. I like brawl better but like melee's physics better. Brawl is way floaty and a player can recover from almost anywhere. It was so hard to adjust for me.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
After playing Brawl for a month, I went back to Melee for a few hours and it felt liek lightning mode, **** its fast. Brawl is fun, but the only fun im having is playing wifi or at tournaments. Playing CPUs bores me to TEARS. In Melee, I could fight level 1 CPUs for hours simply because how fun the game was to learn in terms of technical skill. Learning new techniques, showing off, discovering new stuff. Brawl is slower, and there is basically nothing to learn in the technical department. Its boring.

I like both games, and weep for the speed and simplicity of Brawl :(

dudutsai

Smash Lord
People keep saying techniques will be discovered for Brawl in a year or so. After a year or so, I believe Brawl will not have changed that much. I hope I am wrong.

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
i tried really hard to like brawl....

but alas... it's starting to look grim.

It just feels like a step backward from melee for me and i'll never have as much fun as i did with melee. anyone who actually got good at melee can relate to this feeling.

ChronoTrigga

Smash Apprentice
I can honestly say if they kept the physics the same, and took all the wavedashing/L-cancelling/etc (Glitches) out I'd like brawl. I played melee competively for 6 years w/o even learning any of the advanced techniques and learned how to defend myself against people who knew these techniques and beat them. Yet after 4-5 days of having Brawl, I wish they would have just added online mode to melee and never made brawl. Seriously, it'd be in Nintendo's best interests to make Melee with online play.

Fletch

Smash Master
I can honestly say if they kept the physics the same, and took all the wavedashing/L-cancelling/etc (Glitches) out I'd like brawl. I played melee competively for 6 years w/o even learning any of the advanced techniques and learned how to defend myself against people who knew these techniques and beat them. Yet after 4-5 days of having Brawl, I wish they would have just added online mode to melee and never made brawl. Seriously, it'd be in Nintendo's best interests to make Melee with online play.
While I agree that it would be in the competitive community's best interest for Nintendo to make Melee with online play, truthfully the game will sell that much better because it caters to the casual crowd that is currently in love with the game. Oh well, hope there's a Smash 4 which actually expands upon Melee's gameplay instead of taking away from it.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
Meeeeeeeeeee

People keep saying techniques will be discovered for Brawl in a year or so. After a year or so, I believe Brawl will not have changed that much. I hope I am wrong.
I kinda feel the same way, but I'm actually hoping nothing changes in Brawl because I want it to be so bad that people come back to Melee.

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
I can't stand playing Brawl, it's just too slow and floaty for me. Some people tell me"It's a new game, get used to it." but I want to play Melee every time I play Brawl for more than 3 matches.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I for one like melee over brawl. And I sear, if one more person comes up to me and says, "Give it more time," then I'm going to nail them in the face.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
Amen, Corey.

I also hate that "Melee wasn't played at its peak when it first came out."

Well, here's one ****ing thing: HAL wasn't TRYING to make the game ridiculously noob-friendly when they made Melee. There is no argument that they weren't for Brawl.

gnosis

Smash Lord
God I was getting so sick of Melee too. Saw all the avenues Brawl had to become -better-.

But nope. Instead it's just... shockingly bad. In a lot of ways.

I mean, I still like it. But I can't shake this surreal feeling like I'm having a terrible nightmare when I play it, like I'm gonna wake up and Brawl's amazing.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Yeah I definitely like Melee over Brawl. Brawls definitely just a party game not enough skill involved to actually call it a competitive game and anyone who thinks so is just in denial.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
Yeah, back in the Melee days, I was super serious about being competitive and getting a lot better as fast as I could. Ever since Brawl came out, that feeling just disappeared. The only thing I feel now is complete apathy. Some people have told me to just get good at Brawl, but it's not really an issue about getting good. It's about putting forth effort to get good at a game that I hate. I don't want to do it. Even though I was really competitive in Melee, I could still have fun. *sigh*

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
On a casual level Brawl definitely eats Melee alive but on a competitive level. Melee eats Brawl. And seein as how I always like my games fast no matter if it's on a casual level or not Melee eats Brawl again. Another thing I feel is that everyone who likes Brawl and whats it seein in tournament are all the sore losers who never won a tournament me on the other hand loved the challenge Melee presented. With Brawl you can pick up this game and just start playin super good it seems. Ugh I should just make a well written article about Brawl and Melee because I would really hate to see this game bloom as our next tourney game I can still play Melee for 5 more years lol. Plus I believe there is stuff still to be discovered about Melee.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Brawl is terrible for competition, otherwise it's pretty great. However, Melee is clearly better. I'll never forgive Sakurai. It seems he took EVERY competitive aspect out of brawl. Comboing is **** near impossible, and that's like one of the main contributing factors to melee's competitive success. Within a year or two, Brawl will fade away. I hope Melee comes back.

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
I like both games equally, although I'm starting to lean towards Brawl out of spite. Comparing a 7 year old game to a 6 week old one is bloody ******** in my opinion, but that's not my beef. My beef is that there doesn't seem to be anyone outside of random newbies who want to put up with the game for more than three minutes. It's like folks just don't want to deal with something different, so they go back to the familiar. No disrespect, but it's pretty bassackwards when a traditional fighting game forum (SRK) is more hype about a sequel than the community for the original game. Seriously, whatever happened to embracing change? I love Melee, and I love Brawl; but it seems like I'm the only person who feels that way. SWF looks to be trapped between mindless n00bs and a stodgy Old Boy club. Can't there be a middle ground somewhere?

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Different is not bad. There are tons of games that are lots of fun, Brawl being one of them. At the moment I think people complain because of the low limits the game currently has.

Flarefox

Smash Ace
Different is not bad. There are tons of games that are lots of fun, Brawl being one of them. At the moment I think people complain because of the low limits the game currently has.
More than that, people worry about how the gameplay mechanics will work out in the future. I don't see as much potential for interesting mindgames in Brawl because it is a very slow, aerial based game. Ground games were severely weakened because of how dash got messed up. The overwhelming amount of focus on aerial priority and spacing makes the game feel very simple. Melee also had these things, but you also get interesting situations with ground counters to aerial approaches and vice versa (because of fastfalling and better dashing in melee). I think that the general tempo of melee was much better as well. Brawl moves much slower than most players can think.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
Melee is a much better game and it was the backbone of the success it had right?.

Many are leaving melee for Brawl because its suppose to be the next best thing and new.Melee has been out for so long that it looks tired compared to Brawl.

I personally played Melee because it was a great game with great gameplay and Depth.

Unfortuantly the creation of Brawl which I had high hopes for to continue my love affair with the series has ended.

Why would I play Brawl it feels shallow akward and watered down.I can waste my time playing other games like cod4 or counter strike or something if noone cares for melee anymore. :laugh:

My friends are confused but insist on giving Brawl a chance.Its funny because they say the game is to slow.That character movement is akward and frustrating.

But they all sit there like drones continually playing a game that frustrates them in hopes they get better at it and discover some miracle which will make the game better...

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
^Yes, the first time you play Brawl, it feels weird, I honestly hated it. But give it a good chance and you find it is in fact better in a lot of ways than Melee. Course, it depends on who your main is. They nerfed a lot of people, but I loves my Wolf. ^_^

Joe_Sumo

Smash Apprentice
i miss the advanced tech. i know it hasnt been out long enough for us to find everything yet, but it seems a lot slower paced. i find it kind of boring after about an hour because there doesn;t seem to be any comboing with most characters. i like melee more but all my newby friends don't so im stuck with it..meh

on the plus side though the 1 player modes are decent, but who wants to play by themselves for hours on end?

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I like/miss some things Melee had, but Brawl is too amazing for me to care. ^_^
This pretty much sums up my feelings right now. However, I wouldn't say that I completely don't care about Melee.

Come back to me in a year or two, I'll have my opinion formed by then.

Big_R

Smash Champion
I can't stand brawl. It gets boring no matter what I'm doing. About 20 mins into it I just start picking random chars and messing around. And this is when other people are trying to take it seriously. It's way too slow and it makes me mad how it's so dumbed down.

I'm not even sure if singles can be played for long. i played Watty and we played for abot 20 mins then went on a trip to go get melee, and me and Drephen did the same thing. I'm not going to give it more of my time, but other people can try to find something out. If anyone finds something gamebreaking then I will try to learn it and see if brawl is any better.

Top Bottom