• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how good were u in ure first tourny?

homsar

Smash Ace
AH, my first tourny.... *fond memories*

Anyways, I knew of adavanced techs and all that but I had not implemented them. So I got owned yet not as bad as I thought I would. Ive since gotten better but I am still the resident noob that keeps coming out as the others are getting better at the same pace...

KirbySSB

Smash Ace
finals: it was me and another sheik. we could barely wavedash and it was a 10 stock items match on yoshi's island! i barely won.

that tourney blew ***.

i got my *** kicked in my first real tournament but now I'm ok

Banks

Smash Hero
in my first tourney i played as mario, so nuff said on that one. didnt do that terrible because there were only a few pro level players there

Seison

Smash Journeyman
my first tourney

Ahh, I thought I was the best in the world... and it didn't help much when I actually won my first tournament (about 20 ppl or so) with my main of the time, Sheik. It wasn't until my second tourney that I was brought full force down to earth; faced a guy named Dav who completely pwned me with his falco. I ended up with third in that one (which is actually really bad because there are only about 5 ppl who attend my city's tourneys that have any skill at all.)

sephirothken

ken combo
BRoomer
I used to think I was the best in the world.

My first tournament, I didn't know how to wavedash, Didn't know how to ledge hog, didn't know how to L-cancel ( still did it anyways) and didn't know how to grab items in the air.

Went to Tg4, the biggest international tournament at the time and managed to win.

Also won the next 20 or something tournaments in a row until I finally got 2nd at Moast 3 losing to my partner isai.

Stayed Marth, and played marth until around my 50th tournament when i picked up fox which was FC3

Now I still think im the best. :)

DarkRoom

Smash Ace
I used to think I was the best in the world.

My first tournament, I didn't know how to wavedash, Didn't know how to ledge hog, didn't know how to L-cancel ( still did it anyways) and didn't know how to grab items in the air.

Went to Tg4, the biggest international tournament at the time and managed to win.

Also won the next 20 or something tournaments in a row until I finally got 2nd at Moast 3 losing to my partner isai.

Stayed Marth, and played marth until around my 50th tournament when i picked up fox which was FC3

Now I still think im the best. :)
lol, ya right ur prob just sum noob. Nobody believes u wen u make **** up lik dat. Noone does good at they're first tournay.
I am actaulyy the best in da world.

ICYU

Smash Rookie
darkroom do you know who you just called a noob? ever heard of ken?? you know the ken that's ranked #1 in the world?

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
Practiced Ganon for about a month, then went to a local tourney. I made it to the "Winners" bracket, but got 5 stocked in a free-4-all by a pro ganon who wouldn't let me touch the ground for more than a few seconds, lol. It was XZalla BTW.

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
lol screw you ken.

my first tourney, i destroyed everyone who wasnt on the power rankings(socal, there were like 5 of them there) list. i even took 1 match from someone who was, but lost out of 3.

Elen

Smash Lord
Wow, Ken that's ridiculous. You just went to TG4 with no tourny experience and won xD Your clearly the chosen one.

Anyways my first smash tournament actually went really well. I was experienced enough, and knew all the techs (at least those that were developed at the time), and I pretty much owned. My next tourny went a bit differently tho :-S

JesserZ

Smash Rookie
Well hey, as it so happens, I'm going to my first Tourney next week. Guess I'll get to see my limited "pro" skills in action. Just recently learned L-Cancel / Shuffling so I suck at it. Even when I do it successfully it doesn't seem to benefit my style much though.

I guess I'll just have to see how good I do. But I'll post my experience here later, whether or not I get completely destroyed or not. I'm hoping for at least not getting owned. It'd be nice if my play style actually proved worthy vs everyone.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I plan to attend a huge tournament in the summer. I wonder if me and my crew will do well?
Ken is still #1 in the world. Whoever thinks otherwise will be smitted.

XZalla

Smash Journeyman
My first tourney was MLG Houston 2005.

I thought I was going to "own some scrubs", but that didn't happen by any chance. (Before I learned about Adv. Techs). I lost my first round in a Ganon ditto to the same guy who was around my skill level. And ever since that tournament, I wanted to get alot more better...

-Darc-

Heir to the Monado
darkroom do you know who you just called a noob? ever heard of ken?? you know the ken that's ranked #1 in the world?
*sigh*

Well anyway since I have to be on-topic

My first tourney was Cataclysm 2. I did bad. My most recent tourney was Cataclysm 3. I did good.

Another *sigh* at ICYU

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
I do just as good as I did then. I think I tied for like 33rd. I remember getting like destroyed by everyone and thinking I could win it. I had no idea who pc was, and everyone said he was amazing. He was like the first person I ever played outside of home friends.... talk about a rapefest for him.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Got 13th. I was expecting to get 1st but that wasn't gonna happen. Can't really expect too much on a first tourney especially when all the good people are there. You can only hope to do better the next time.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I was a noob Game & Watch. I had just become interested in competitive Smash a few weeks prior, and I had been practicing wavedashing since a month prior. I got owned, but it was to be expected. I knew that I was a new guy and I went to the tourney to learn from the vets and get into the competitive scene. I was told that my G&W was decent and had some potential. This was back in early September. I didn't even have a Smash name until my second or third biweekly.

Now I'm flippin' amazing with Game & Watch, taking out space animals and whatnot :cool:

Kaizer

Smash Journeyman
Pretty bad, really. Lost the first match, the end. It was a little tourney, with about 15 guys/gals attending.

Ghettoman

Smash Apprentice
What ever you do, don't be nervous. I was and i played horribly. but i'm sure i've gotten that out of my system now. but i did beat the first guy i played, then i got humiliated by a crazy moonwalking cpt. falcon.

miller483

Smash Ace
That's why I'm kinda scared to enter an actual competitive Smash tourney. Anyway my first tourney was a little one at Game Crazy with items and not all of the stages/characters were unlocked. I played as Mario and took 2nd. I lost in a Mario ditto because i kept rolling into his f smash. (Back when i didnt know any advanced techs, just rolled a lot.)

Mike2000

Smash Cadet
Ah, I'll never forget my first tournament in 2003. It was a gamespot instore tournament with about twenty other guys and girls. My main used to be Samus then (it's not anymore) so of course I chose her. I came in second place next to a guy who would wavedash like there was no tomorrow. I kept getting physced out by him, that's why I got in second.

Of course having this being four years ago, I have greatly improved my strategies with a lot more characters than just Samus and Shiek.

Evil E.

Smash Ace
NNID
Elmoyounasty
Well my first wuz TO2 and well i did horribly

i wuz too nervous... and it wuz nothing like i expected..

it wuz too crunk!!! everyone yellling at the start of a combo..

and whitty remarks from bystanders...

I LOVED IT!!!!!

Smash Master
I had my first and so far only tourney on June 16. The host decided to host it in a nursing home, so we had to be really quiet. I'm bad at that :) At first we had teams, and I teamed up with someone who went by AZ Axe. Apparantly, he's played against Forward, Taj, and Wobbles, so it was cool to have him on my team. We ended the round robin with a winning record, and I did pretty well. One time I broke a Peach's shield with the Firefox startup animation. One time I got nine kills, all of the opponent's stock and one of my partner's. I also remember one time a Jiggs missed a rest, and AXE and I both charged smashes. Yeah, that didn't end well. Then, singles. There was this ghetto T.V. that really messed me up, especially as a Fox player. It was so bad that when I first picked my character I literally overshot the mark and picked Mario instead of Fox. I played 3/5 games on that T.V. and lost two of them. As this was double elim, that was it. I know, bad T.V. = Johns and I would have lost anyway because Baka and Chexr are better than me, but Baka would not have gotten a four stock :) I two stocked 56K's IC's on FD though, which was cool. I came in 9th out of 19, which was much better than I expected to do.

RoyTheFlamboyant

Smash Journeyman
Um...aaalmost two years ago, I had played the game for two weeks... got third place, after the two proclaimed "best" people in Concord, NC.

It's too bad they all sucked back then (as did I). :laugh:

But it was at a Game Crazy, there was a huge crowd because this "new girl on the scene" was able to handle someone that many people there held in esteem. Cool ****, man. I got one-stocked with my opponent at 130%+.

It was a Sheik (me) Link match, not that it really matters. xD

Jx31

Smash Ace
My first tourny I didn't do too bad, then again, only one person from smash boards was there >.>.

Now, the first statewide tournament that I went to, G4S3, I got rocked.....hard.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
i entered a random mall tourney first, and i was like........these guys= noobs

then i entered a local tourney and placed 4th

Flare233

Smash Journeyman
I was extremely well prepared tech-skill wise and on my first tournament I did alright. I got like 6th place out of 10 entrants. The top 5 were pretty much pro so it's no surprise that I lost to them.

First round I went up against Wobbles, and he 2 stocked me with his Dr. Mario. Next match he used Link and 3 stocked me I think.

I went to the loser's bracket and went up against some novice Ganon player who barely implimented tech skills. He was good at shieldgrabbing though so I barely 1 stocked him both times.

Next I went against Sizzle and lost to his Samus.

Next round I lost against D4rk_Sh3ik.

After that I played Sizzle's marth-playing friend and 3 stocked him both times.

Somehow I ended up having a rematch with Sizzle and I barely beat him with Captain Falcon.

So I barely managed to get 6th place, and I also won a t-shirt and some game demos.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I two stocked 56K's IC's on FD though, which was cool. I came in 9th out of 19, which was much better than I expected to do.
Oh how I loathe Fox...:laugh:

I should've used G&W >_>

You're the best first-tourney player I've ever seen. ggs.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
First tourney I went to was small. I was still very nervous. Ended up getting 3rd in Singles, yet somehow me and a friend of mine ended up getting 1st in doubles.

max32090

Smash Ace
Ive had the game for only 4 days now, and have been practicing advanced techniques. i can already keep up with my friends who have been playin for years (they arent very good). im gonna go into a tourny in April, and im expecting to get my *** handed to me, but i was wondering how ppl around here have done in their first tourny? did u lose, win, almost win, get demolished? any unique experiences?
by april u should be good. i went to my first tourny after playin for like 3 months and i did okay. gl

Mr. Emcee

Smash Cadet
My first tournament was a local thrown together by Hollywood video. I managed to take first but no one used advanced techs including myself, so I'm quite the minnow in this pond.

My first real experience with tournament style play was at Connecticon a few days ago where I was unceremoniously massacred. I'm hoping this place will get me better by osmosis.

Top Bottom