• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How does Falco not get grabbed.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
I don't know if anyone will post but it's worth a shot.

Which techniques does Falco have to not get grabbed? I don't want just "moar lazors and side b" I'd like some legit setups Falco has to mix-up grab based characters (Wario, Pika, ICs)

I say focus on how the opposing character seems to go about searching for grabs.

In the Falco dittos, the number one way I swear is simply jab -> grab, spot dodge -> grab, roll -> grab attempts. In these cases, rolling can be avoided by simply making sure you maintain your spacing and train yourself to punish rolls when you see it not being surprised.

Against spot dodges its more of a gamble, seeing how the first jab works and following up with double jab or even rapid jab to wait out the spotdodge seems best. Against another Falco's jab, jabbing right back I feel is the best solution unless you roll right away.

For characters like ICs, Wario, and Pikachu, I am not as certain. Wario seems to rely upon linking his moves like Fair or Dair into a grab. This or attempt to air dodge behind you. So, making sure you DI properly any attacks or maintain your spacing to avoid being hit.

Against ICs, I think the best counter to being grabbed is to grab right back and avoid shielding as much as possible. Unless the ICs are trying for a set-up with Ice Block or Squall or Blizzard, then it seems they are going for shield -> grab set-ups. So, trying to attack a shield might lead to it being powershielded or too laggy they can grab you anyway. So, I say call their shield approach and just grab. Not sure if you could get port priority on port 4 to avoid being attacked when throwing?

Oh, and I suppose the other option is to camp platforms, but I only see this being viable in the Falco ditto as CG from Wario and Pikachu are active on your stock for much longer. Although, I think Pikachu loses its ability to CG at 60%.

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
Agreed on most accounts. Although, in Falco dittos, none of you should be falling for jab>grab anymore since a jab of your own comes out before the opponent Falco's grab comes out. It's both easy and hard to avoid getting grabbed by the bird imo. It depends whether you care about grabbing Falco for a "free" kill or just want to avoid getting grabbed then attempt to outplay the other Falco after cg percents. If you have good SDI then a good, confident playstyle >>>>> one that just wants to avoid the situation at all costs. But it's a risk vs (a lucky) powershield-grab on Jab 1.

I remember bleach igo said you should just assume nothing is safe on block vs IC's, though it's not true, it's the mindset that matters most so that you don't get deathgrabbed due to a miscalculation (trying to space an ftilt or retreating+rising dair). Which is why grabbing vs climbers is one of our best and only methods of dealing with the character. Even if they spotdodge, what move of theirs beats Frame 2 Jab? iirc their jab only comes out on frame 4 which is their fastest move. Essentially a frame trap. We don't have it so easy fighting our own character when they have the exact frame data and close combat rewards the player who buffers more, mostly.

Definitely try not to Jab 2 on block if you know your opponent knows to grab (or other moves) after Jab 2. If you see that your opponent doesnt know this, going for Rapid Jab on characters that arent so floaty (ddd,fox,wolf) is a good way to push them back. das all i got

I usually go for jab -> shieldgrab which is pretty much a grab in most respects, so I tend to get a ton of grabs off that attempt because of people attempting to jab me back. So, I dunno, jab -> grab will still be viable and varies depending upon the skill level of the match.

I think you can actively search for the quick kill attempt and avoid the grab. I think you want to actively seek to avoid the boxing game. By doing so, if the other Falco really wants to get the grab, then they will approach and allow themselves into baits and set-up for laggy moves like grab on whiffs. In that happens, you net yourself a free grab. Otherwise, you maintain the neutral for so long you get damaged out of it by lasers and phantasm.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
My personnal mindset is to NOT FOLLOW UP ON JAB.
You jab, you GTFO and go back to lasers.

Jab is good to beat enemy grabs attempt, but going for the follow up creates a janken situation that can end up with you getting grabbed.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Real answer?

Be right. You're sitting next to someone who wants to grab you and knows they can grab your jab on shield, so grab them instead. Do it again. You think they're gonna learn and just grab you this time? Now you jab. You think they're going to give you enough time to get off the ground? SH Rising Dair-> Drift back is safe and allows you to punish follow-ups.

SnowCold

Smash Apprentice
spotdodge and roll... falco has the 2nd best spot dodge in the game and some of the best roles in the game. Also jab disrupts grabs since it comes out on frame 2.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
spotdodge and roll... falco has the 2nd best spot dodge in the game and some of the best roles in the game. Also jab disrupts grabs since it comes out on frame 2.
Disregard this post. Since it's easiest and most humiliating to get grabbed these ways.

AmKhokar

Smash Journeyman
You can almost just react to a roll for a punish w/o predicting it =p. It's not a safe option to roll super often....buffered spot dodges are not a horrible idea...iirc you only have 2 frames of vulnerability for the duration of it and if they commit to a grab w/o perfect timing, they can be punished in most cases....ofc, this varies w/ multihit moves...imo just mix up your approaches since you have a good amount of safe options like spaced dairs and bairs, lasers, and ftilts. Try to be very mobile and consciously think about avoiding the shield grab. You might also check out the specific character boards and read up on their grab set-ups and CG % info.

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
You can use Falco's amazing high jump and fall speed to put yourself in a safe position. His jab, spot dodge, rolls, side b, and lasers are mix up options that make it hard for Falco to get grabbed when used correctly. The best way to avoid getting grabbed is to fight at a mid range with lasers to try in chip away at them until you can find an opening.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
You can use Falco's amazing high jump and fall speed to put yourself in a safe position. His jab, spot dodge, rolls, side b, and lasers are mix up options that make it hard for Falco to get grabbed when used correctly. The best way to avoid getting grabbed is to fight at a mid range with lasers to try in chip away at them until you can find an opening.
This is amazing info, I was playing a Pikachu in a MM at a tournament today and that is exactly what I did to avoid the CG (I won the MM 2-1)

Funny that I saw this post after the MM, and realized that I was doing it right the whole time :awesome:

Top Bottom