• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you pronounce his name?

Bakemonky

Smash Apprentice
I've had trouble with this and gotten into arguments with friends since Kirby on the NES. How do you pronounce dedede? Is it de-de-de? Or da-de-de? Or da-da-da, like a German pronunciation of de?

If someone can post a sound clip from an official Kirby game that SAYS his name, that would be awesome. Im just not sure it has officially been sounded out in a game...

Prolly the first thing I do on Brawl now is win a round with dedede, to see how they pronounce it...

Card

Smash Lord
I always thought it was Dee-Dee-Dee.
I'm fairly sure that in the Anime they would say Dee-Dee-Dee as well. Although whether the Anime is an accurate representation is a whole other story itself...

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
There is a thread about this in the general brawl discussion.

Correctly, it's pronounced day, day, day or deh, deh, deh. In Japanese, the "e" sound is prounched with an "eh" sound. Like the Candian "eh?".

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
It goes either way. Gramtically correct, it's what I posted however I am not sure if the Japanese pronounce it the correct way or the English way (dee-dee-dee).

They like to screw up thier language like that.

Herr Vorragend

Smash Cadet
well in germany its just könig nickerchen :D
but i'm wondering why on the german dojo hes called King Dedede :confused:

cormano

Smash Rookie
why is it so hard to pronounce one syllable 3 times in a row? deedeedee. if it's so hard, do it like this: take the "a" out of a.d.d. and replace it with another "d."

"kirby right back atcha's" opening theme pronounces it as "deedeedee."

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
We'll have to wait to hear how the announced says it.

I've pronounced it Dee-dee-dee since I was a tyke playing Kirby's Adventure.

Musica Amante

Smash Apprentice
It's Deh-Deh-Deh/Day-Day-Day/デデデ as stated earlier in the thread.

But that won't stop people from pronouncing it wrong.

Just how Canadians and British will continue to say "Merio" instead've "Mario"

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Official Japanese name would the equivilant of saying Dae Dae Dae

Official English name would be Dee Dee Dee

Sailyfee

Smash Apprentice
I pronounce his name like D-D-D just like everything else. They also pronounced it like that in Kirby : Right back at ya.

Although, I haven't heard the Japanese pronunciation yet.

Tyr_God_of_war

Smash Cadet
It's Deh-Deh-Deh/Day-Day-Day/デデデ as stated earlier in the thread.

But that won't stop people from pronouncing it wrong.

Just how Canadians and British will continue to say "Merio" instead've "Mario"
I live in Canada and I have never heard Mario pronounced Mreio. Ever. I am kink of angry.

I thought you pronounce it like 3 Ds. DDD.

squiser

Smash Apprentice
I live in Canada and I've heard it plenty of times. Although it's not so much Merio as it is Mehrio... still annoys me.

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
So... how would you say his name anyway?

Here's a few things to think about.

In the anime it is pronounced "Day-day-day," but some might argue that it's just a Japanese mistake because an "e" for a Japanese word is typically a long "a." On the other hand, King Dedede IS a Japanese character, so maybe that's how it's supposed to be said.

What I mean is, obviously Kirby is pronounced just like it's spelled, "Ker-bee," but the Japanese (in the anime anyway) pronounce it more like "Kaw-bee." This could be considered incorrect, or at least just a strong Japanese accent, because the word Kirby is a western name, so how we say it is correct. Dedede, might be just be made up, or it might be Japanese... but unless it was meant to be pronounced western style, (Mario, Kirby, Zelda) it should probably remain exactly as the Japanese say it. "Day-day-day."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JGrp-_lKuDc

(about 6:27 is a clear one, though you can find his name all over the place.)

Something I just noticed while looking for the video. The rhythm seems to be important. It's not just three equal syllables, but a stressed second syllable, (De-DE-de or even De-DE-DE) and sometimes they barely pronounce the first syllable, so it's just barely done with your tongue, without much voice, and then the second two syllables are normal. Also, like the first poster pointed out, the second two syllables could be together, like "De-DEDE" (pronounced "Day-DAYDAY")

Just wondering what you guys think. (And yes, I know we'll basically all say whatever the announcer says, but until then...)

It goes either way. Gramtically correct, it's what I posted however I am not sure if the Japanese pronounce it the correct way or the English way (dee-dee-dee).

They like to screw up thier language like that.
Haha, I know what you mean... it's kind of annoying.

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
You know, I've taken to calling him 'King' for years just because of this issue. It's an awkward mouthful of a word.

Also, it reminds me of Carlos Mencia's 'Dee-Deh-Dee' catchphrase that mocks the mentally handicapped. The fact it's probably spelled and spelled the same way...The jokes will never end.

Musica Amante

Smash Apprentice
In the anime it is pronounced "Day-day-day," but some might argue that it's just a Japanese mistake because an "e" for a Japanese word is typically a long "a." On the other hand, King Dedede IS a Japanese character, so maybe that's how it's supposed to be said.

It's not a mistake, if the Japanese truly wanted to pronounce it "Dee-Dee-Dee" it would be written like this:

"ディディディ"
DeeDeeDee (Di-Di-Di)

It is instead written like this:

"デデデ"
DeDeDe (Deh-Deh-Deh)

Hong

The Strongest
The Hoshi no Kaabii anime is indeed "Dey Dey Dey". Masahiro Sakurai himself supervised the production, so I can ensure you it's accurate. The game "KIrby's Avalanche" (Kirby's Ghost Trap in Europe) has "DeeDeeDee", but keep in mind this game was only released outside of Japan as it is just another version of Puyo Pop. You can tell this game wasn't made by Sakurai because not only did Kirby talk, but he dissed his opponents before fighting them. >.>;

So yeah, it's 100% DeyDeyDey.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
What I mean is, obviously Kirby is pronounced just like it's spelled, "Ker-bee," but the Japanese (in the anime anyway) pronounce it more like "Kaw-bee." This could be considered incorrect, or at least just a strong Japanese accent, because the word Kirby is a western name, so how we say it is correct. Dedede, might be just be made up, or it might be Japanese... but unless it was meant to be pronounced western style, (Mario, Kirby, Zelda) it should probably remain exactly as the Japanese say it. "Day-day-day."Haha, I know what you mean... it's kind of annoying.
Just a quick correction having no real opinion on your post, but...

Kirby's Japanese name: Kaaby (or something like that), hence the other pronounciation
Kirby's English Name ( Possibly a Rominization): Kirby

Pretty much the same, it's just changed to accomodate how either language pronounces things, so it's not that the Japanese are pronouncing Kirby wrong, it's that they're pronouncing something else.

Theoretically, they should both be interchangable in both countries (like how Eggman and Robotnik are interchangable, I prefer Robotnik m'self), but due to that little think called the language barrier it isn't, really...

Musica Amante

Smash Apprentice
Just a quick correction having no real opinion on your post, but...

Kirby's Japanese name: Kaaby (or something like that), hence the other pronounciation
Kirby's English Name ( Possibly a Rominization): Kirby

Pretty much the same, it's just changed to accomodate how either language pronounces things, so it's not that the Japanese are pronouncing Kirby wrong, it's that they're pronouncing something else.

Theoretically, they should both be interchangable in both countries (like how Eggman and Robotnik are interchangable, I prefer Robotnik m'self), but due to that little think called the language barrier it isn't, really...

Kirby is not a romanization of anything.

His name is initially "Kirby", the japanese katakana is written to accomodate his name. They're not pronouncing something else.

There is no 'er' sound in Japan so they use an extended "Ah" sound written as (アー).

So we get "カービィ". It's not a different word, it's the same word.

Sorry, it's just one thing that really annoys me is when people purposely write/say english-origin words 'japanese-like' as if they are different words, when they're not.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace

His name is initially "Kirby", the japanese katakana is written to accomodate his name. They're not pronouncing something else.

There is no 'er' sound in Japan so they use an extended "Ah" sound written as (アー).

Sorry, it's just one thing that really annoys me is when people purposely write/say english-origin words 'japanese-like' as if they are different words, when they're not.
Notes on his name:

Kirby or (カービィ, Kābī)

Apparently not, different pronounciations...

From Wikipedia, though I'll bet I get alot of broken logic posts stating "Wikipedia isn't accurate so thus your post is instantly wrong," type things...

Caael

Smash Lord
Well americans will pronounce it Day Day Day, because they pronounce things funny. I mean, they call Mario ( we pronounce it Marry-o) and they pronounce it Maa Rio. I mean, what's up with that?

Oh, and us Brits pronounce it Dee Dee Dee

Musica Amante

Smash Apprentice
It's only a different pronunciation because it has to be in order for them to phonetically write and say it. There is literally no 'er' sound in japanese, it cannot be written.

It is still the same name.

"Kaabii" is not his name, his name is "Kirby" in both languages.

Yes, they are pronouncing it slightly wrong because it is an english origin word.

Much like "Link". We don't go saying that his name is "Rinku" in Japan do we? No, it's Link in both languages, our writing system is just more flexible to most phonetics.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well americans will pronounce it Day Day Day, because they pronounce things funny. I mean, they call Mario ( we pronounce it Marry-o) and they pronounce it Maa Rio. I mean, what's up with that?

Mario is an Italian name and that's how it's suppose to be pronounced in italian so Marry-o is the wrong pronunciation...

And Dedede is pronounced officially Dey Dey Dey in Japan and Dee Dee Dee in English Speaking countries, especially America

Musica Amante

Smash Apprentice
Mario is an Italian name and that's how it's suppose to be pronounced in italian so Marry-o is the wrong pronunciation...

Right, it's also "マリオ" <Mah-Ri-Oh> in Japanese.

"Marry-O" and "Mehrio" are both incorrect.

If you went to Italy and asked for "Merinera" sauce instead've Marinara sauce they'd lol at you.

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman

Exactly. But do we even know what sort of origin Dedede has? Obviously it's not really English, but is it actually Japanese, or just some made up "play on a name" type of thing, or made up sound altogether? I don't know.

I like how you didn't capitalize "Americans" but you capitalized "Brits." An honest mistake, or lack of effort I'm sure. (I don't care, it's just something I decided to point out since you seem to look down on us.) I LOVE the Brits actually! I just wish they loved me back! :urg:

It's only a different pronunciation because it has to be in order for them to phonetically write and say it. There is literally no 'er' sound in japanese, it cannot be written.

It is still the same name.

"Kaabii" is not his name, his name is "Kirby" in both languages.

Yes, they are pronouncing it slightly wrong because it is an english origin word.

Much like "Link". We don't go saying that his name is "Rinku" in Japan do we? No, it's Link in both languages, our writing system is just more flexible to most phonetics.
Why did I quote this one again? I guess I basically agree, but I forgot the point if I ever got it. Oh, I guess people must have been disputing the obviousness of his name being "Kirby" originally. So does this mean you're in favor of DEE DEE DEE? Heh, like it matters at this point what we think.

Musica Amante

Smash Apprentice
but is it actually Japanese, or just some made up "play on a name" type of thing, or made up sound altogether?
It's a made up name, not Japanese or else it would be written in hiragana on the site and not katakana which is used for foreign and fictional names.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
you guys are unsmart.

If you want to pretend to be Japanese, cool. but it would seem as though the English marketing teams intended the name to be pronounced "Dee Dee Dee" since every English speaking reference goes that route. But hey what do they know right?

Musica Amante

Smash Apprentice
you guys are unsmart.

If you want to pretend to be Japanese, cool. but it would seem as though the English marketing teams intended the name to be pronounced "Dee Dee Dee" since every English speaking reference goes that route. But hey what do they know right?
Because the world revolves around America.

Top Bottom