• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you pronounce his name?

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
dee deh day thats wat i say.
This man wins the thread.

On a more serious note, the kanji used for the Japanese version specifically spells it "DEH DEH DEH" or "DAY DAY DAY", however the English localiztion team for the game apparently wanted it to be pronounced "DEE DEE DEE" as it is spelled in English.

2 e's next to each other are always pronounced with a long I sound as a rule in English. It stands to reason that the localization team knew this and CHOSE to spell it "Dee Dee Dee" as opposed to "De De De" or "Deh Deh Deh" which would have been closer to the Japanese pronunciation.

Basically, disregard how the Japanese say it and call him Dee Dee Dee, with 3 long I sounds, as that's the way it is officially spelled in English.

Majora_X

Smash Cadet
You know, it wasn't until about a week ago when I noticed the last 'de' in King dedede

Before then, I always pronounced it "Dee-dee".

Now...I...I just don't know what to think. :(

mrpeach32

Smash Rookie
You know, it wasn't until about a week ago when I noticed the last 'de' in King dedede

Before then, I always pronounced it "Dee-dee".

Now...I...I just don't know what to think. :(
I actually used to do that too >_>

Macrofly

Smash Cadet
I've always called him Dee-dee-dee cause it just sounded right to me. Plus I watched Kirby Right Back At Ya once (>_>) and that confirmed it for me.

P.S. "King Deh-deh-deh" sounds really ghey...

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641
For me, I picture the way you pronounce his name similar to that of a bird call. The bird I am talking about, is the chickadee. The chickadee is a small bird, one I've seen mostly during the winter seasons, and it makes a call that goes as follows: "Chick-a-dee-dee-dee". It does get annoying when is two or more of the birds around, all calling out at once.

So yes, like most people I suppose, I pronounce King 'Triple' Dee as his name is nearly spelt, "Dee-dee-dee". Comparing stuff from games to real life just seems to work better for me, so I can understand how to pronounce such things such as names, or how to estimate the size of an in-game creature in games such as the eagle laguz in Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
King day-day-day, King d-d-d, Pa-ta-toe, poe-tae-toe, toe-mat-toe, toe-may-toe Its all the same i will just end up calling him Da King.

JJJ.Brawler

Smash Ace
It is definitely:

KING DEE-DEE-DEE

The 'Dee's' are pronounced the same way you would say the letter 'D' in the alphabet.

abcDefg............<- Yes, that one.:laugh:

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
do any of you guys realize that its spelled "Dedede" not "Deedeedee"

D and e together dosent make a EEEEEE sound.

It makes Deh... so its King deh-deh-deh

Atleast I think anyway :psycho:

orintemple

Smash Lord
In the end it is going to depend on your accent. If you speak certain languages as your first it may be impossible to pronounce it Dee Dee Dee due to your accent. In English it would be most sensible to pronounce it that way because of the way the language is spoken in accordance to the spelling.

Really, do to the diversity of the fans and abundance of different languages/pronunciations there really shouldn't be any "correct" way to pronounce it anyway.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
do any of you guys realize that its spelled "Dedede" not "Deedeedee"

D and e together dosent make a EEEEEE sound.

It makes Deh... so its King deh-deh-deh

Atleast I think anyway :psycho:
This man is correct. I was wrong to think that the King's name was spelled "Dee Dee Dee". It really is "De De De", so this lends itself to the Japanese style of pronunciation "deh deh deh".

Archenyte

Smash Journeyman
In japanese it's day day day but in english they translated it into dee dee dee. I guess you can call him dee dee dee but i'd use how the announcer says it.

Wishy

Smash Rookie
K.

In Japan, it is pronounced Day / Day / Day.

In English-speaking countries, it is Dee / Dee / Dee.

<_< Does it even matter? People will always pronounce it how they like best.

whichisobviouslydeedeedee

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
In japanese it's Deh Deh Deh...

but I've always said DeeDeeDee...

Then again they call Bowser "Koopa" and Jigglypuff "Purin"...

Igneous42

Smash Ace
I've had trouble with this and gotten into arguments with friends since Kirby on the NES. How do you pronounce dedede? Is it de-de-de? Or da-de-de? Or da-da-da, like a German pronunciation of de?

If someone can post a sound clip from an official Kirby game that SAYS his name, that would be awesome. Im just not sure it has officially been sounded out in a game...

Prolly the first thing I do on Brawl now is win a round with dedede, to see how they pronounce it...
Think just saying the letter D three times in a row. Thats how they did it in the show.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
In English, you pronounce it "D, D, D" and in Japanese, you pronounce it "Day, Day, Day." Don't ask me why these two regions pronounce it different despite it being the same name for both regions...

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
What does it matter? You say "potayto" I say "potahto". His official name in Japan is "Daydayday", his official name over here is "Deedeedee". Why its different, I dunno, but does it matter? The only people I know who say "Day" are the ones who are all gung-ho about being correct and say that it must be right because thats what they call it in Japan. Well, over here he is officially known as "Dee", so that's what I call him. Or, as some have suggesting, give him a nickname! The King, D, 3D, whatever you want to call him, I'm not gonna stop you! ;) ;)

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman
I don't really think it matters. As long as the person you're speaking to knows what you're talking about, you should be fine. I've called him "Day-Day-Day" because that's how I first heard the name pronounced in Avalanche, and if it were "DeeDeeDee" it would have been spelled that way to begin with. But if people want to feel somewhat superior by calling him different because it's "official over here," then be my guest. I'm not gung ho or anything, just set in my ways, and I'm sure most of you are as well. The only real important thing is that it's spelled correctly. No one's going to know what you're talking about if you spell it "Bababa" or "Nonono" :p

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
DarkDedede, its funny you should take about people understanding you. A couple of guys in my Japanese Language class and I were talking about Brawl, I was going to say "Dehdehdeh" like how I usually do, but in an instant, I thought they might not pronounce it like that, so I used "Deedeedee".

Top Bottom