• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you pronounce his name?

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
It's only a different pronunciation because it has to be in order for them to phonetically write and say it. There is literally no 'er' sound in japanese, it cannot be written.

It is still the same name.

"Kaabii" is not his name, his name is "Kirby" in both languages.

Yes, they are pronouncing it slightly wrong because it is an english origin word.

Much like "Link". We don't go saying that his name is "Rinku" in Japan do we? No, it's Link in both languages, our writing system is just more flexible to most phonetics.
There's nothing wrong with the way Americans pronounce it. It's necessary to make the name easily said in the language, just like, as you say, it is necessary for Japanese to pronounce it a certain way.

I wasn't stating that there was something wrong with that, I was just stating that there was a difference.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Because the world revolves around America.
Lol, I'm sure you know where I'm coming from with that.

Of course different regions are going to say character names differently, thats common sense. Names for characters even change completely from region to region just to make things easy to understand; "more relate-able"(for example princess peach/toadstool), thats just how things work.
I'm not saying people are dumb for saying daydayday, I'm saying they are ignorant to the fact that the English pronunciation is in fact "DeeDeeDee".
Pronounce it however you want but just understand on an English based forum the English pronunciation will...
forget it no one is even going to read this.

Musica Amante

Smash Apprentice
Lol, I'm sure you know where I'm coming from with that.

Of course different regions are going to say character names differently, thats common sense. Names for characters even change completely from region to region just to make things easy to understand; "more relate-able"(for example princess peach/toadstool), thats just how things work.
I'm not saying people are dumb for saying daydayday, I'm saying they are ignorant to the fact that the English pronunciation is in fact "DeeDeeDee".
Pronounce it however you want but just understand on an English based forum the English pronunciation will...
forget it no one is even going to read this.
Then why does he say "Day-Day-Day" in the America-only game Kirby's Avalanche?

I also remember a Nintendo plug as a kid where it said "King Day-Day-Day"

I'll try to dig it up on YouTube

Hong

The Strongest
Then why does he say "Day-Day-Day" in the America-only game Kirby's Avalanche?

I also remember a Nintendo plug as a kid where it said "King Day-Day-Day"

I'll try to dig it up on YouTube
It's DeeDeeDee in Kirby's Avalanche, but that doesn't count because that game isn't canon and wasn't made by Sakurai. How can I tell? Not only did Kirby talk, but he trash talked. >.>

Sakurai would never, ever let Kirby speak beyond small blurts and single words. Kirby Avalanche was just a sneaky way of sharing Puyo Pop with Americans. (Oh, and "Kirby Ghost Trap" for you Europe folk.)

Wazoo21

Smash Apprentice
I think that Dedede is like potato or tomato - there is no "official" pronunciation, it can go Dee-Dee-Dee, Deh-Deh-Deh, Da-Da-Da, or any blend of those.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Day-Day-Day is the translation but it's probably better to say Dee-Dee-Dee to sound less french/******** (french people aren't ********). Psy.

Odlanier

Smash Apprentice
Inth animated series, it's pronounced as if you're saying the letter D three times (hence his TV channel, channel DDD.) Of course, he had a Southern accent in that series, so don't just accept it.
I call him Dedede, DDD, Dx3, or maybe 3-D.

.Yoshi

Smash Journeyman
This thread already existed....

Phonetically and cannonically speaking, Deh-deh-deh is correct.
It's not day-day-day or dee-dee-dee unless that's how YOU pronounce it. In that case, YOU have the "right" pronounciation. Get it?

Mr.Midge

Smash Rookie
It's Deh-Deh-Deh/Day-Day-Day/デデデ as stated earlier in the thread.

But that won't stop people from pronouncing it wrong.

Just how Canadians and British will continue to say "Merio" instead've "Mario"
Wtf? "MERIO" ?!?!

We say it Mah-Ree-O, you yanks say it Marrrrrrrr-e-o

Masterem243

Smash Lord
Well, i remember from the Kirby anime, it's pronounced King Dee-Dee-Dee, so that's probably the English pronunciation.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I can't believe I haven't posted here yet...

Anyway, quoted from Wikipedia:

It is commonly mispronounced: De De De, with a long E. It can also be pronounced like DehDehDeh, as in deck. He is called "DayDayDay" in Japan.

Sir Jigsbee

Smash Cadet
Additionally, King Dedede comes from Japanese, where things are always pronounced how they're written. Thus, it is pronounced King Deh Deh Deh, (or Day Day Day, as there is only a subtle difference in pronunciation between the two.)

RoxasXIII

Smash Journeyman
it sure as heck isn't king day day day unless he was hispanic or european

on the tv show its pronounced King Dee Dee Dee

RoxasXIII

Smash Journeyman
He's also known as King 3D and 3D King

but not

King 3Day or 3Day King

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
I've watched the American anime before, but that was some time ago.

I think it's pronounced "day dayday".

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99[/QUOTE]

Top Bottom