• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do i use needles?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
right thumb down on b, wait 5 seconds, release. rince, repeat.

the timing might be hard to master, so if you're having trouble go into training mode and slow it down.

SourWormPowder

Smash Rookie
or you can hold down on B for 5 seconds then press shield so you can save them for later :]

LEEEOOOOO

Smash Rookie
Charge needles whenever you can. Store and release them every time you need a break. Spam them like crazy and make them a big part of your game, and you will be a good Sheik.

soap

Smash Hero
its only like 3.5 seconds for the full charge.

its actually not a bad idea to learn the timing on the full charge without looking at your character.

Kone

Smash Master
Yeah, my first post was a little bit short,heh. I was looking for more in depth needle stuff. Like, when should I actually use them, how many should I use etc. I know to use to intercept specific characters' recoveries and yeah I spam them a lot into aerials/grabs. However, was wondering if there were certain chars I should abuse with needles and others to avoid.

Just any more in depth stuff. I read some needle stuff soap posted a while a go that was cool, is there anything more like that about? or maybe people could post their own needle tricksies?

aw

soap

Smash Hero
try to have a full charge on you at all times.

Sometimes u will notice they are going to run away from your shffl approach, u can double jump needle and get some solid damage in.

needles work better on slower characters like peach and samus and jiggs. fox is a fast small moving target, hard to "pin" down (lol get it?)

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
ground needles are most useful against peach, ganon, and marth because they're most likely to be on the ground or you want them in the air so you can **** them.

ground needles only work if they're far away from you. charging full sets or not or storing doesn't usually matter but having a full set around is useful sometimes.

you can do needles while falling or going onto / off / through a platform and then try to apply pressure from there or do more camping. these are aerial needles. aerial needles are the ones you'd do against anyone who's slower than you, slower than you and airborne, ics, and / or puff. these are mostly for stopping approaches. if anyone jumps at you and you have the chance to needle them out of it, it's usually a solid option because it'll probably give you something after.

soap is too good.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
i dunno i think a full set of ground needles is a decent option at medium range, people usually cant react to dodge it when theyre close to you and it does 18% of unpunishable damage

if nothing else it pisses the other dude off some, which is usually good for making them a little more reckless

Kone

Smash Master
When should I actually attempt needle to grab then? and against which chars? im pretty decent at running off platforms/through/wavelanding into needles and making it look all pretty and stuff but dont think thats going to help to much when playing a opponent.

Soap n kirbykaze cheers your stuff was decent. I just need to get a sheik head.

balladechina212

Smash Ace
If you're fast enough and space it right, aerial needle (whether shielded or not) sets up for a grab.

Throw a needle forward after you knock a floaty character off the stage. More often than not, it'll hit them and throw off their recovery.

Oh and reverse needle cancel to turn around in the air :)

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
its only like 3.5 seconds for the full charge.

its actually not a bad idea to learn the timing on the full charge without looking at your character.
No, because then you will have no life, and M2K will level up.

Never memorize frame data, people. It's dehumanizing. Geez.

pockyD

Smash Legend
why would you memorize frame data for it instead of going to a stage, holding B, and listening for 6 *ching*s

as if people really have a good feel for how long 98 frames is simply by knowing the number anyway

soap

Smash Hero
i didnt say frames.

i said learn the timing.

although if u know frames u know roughly how many seconds.

im not like antiframes or anything, they are pretty useful data

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
If you're fast enough and space it right, aerial needle (whether shielded or not) sets up for a grab.
This is false.

Shielded needle puts you at frame disadvantage.

Most (read: all) people are very imperfect though and will probably fall for this anyways, or if nothing else, not punish you directly (beware of buffer sidestep).

i dunno i think a full set of ground needles is a decent option at medium range, people usually cant react to dodge it when theyre close to you and it does 18% of unpunishable damage

if nothing else it pisses the other dude off some, which is usually good for making them a little more reckless
This is true.

I find just charging and chucking them, then chucking another needle randomly, or charging after I've chucked them and then canceling and walking up to them when they get ready to shield my next batch very hilarious. It's a shame it never works D:

When should I actually attempt needle to grab then? and against which chars? im pretty decent at running off platforms/through/wavelanding into needles and making it look all pretty and stuff but dont think thats going to help to much when playing a opponent.

Soap n kirbykaze cheers your stuff was decent. I just need to get a sheik head.
No you need to like shoes.

Needle grab works against every character, it's just a matter of setting it up. You don't have to be fancy about it, just falling off a platform, falling from a jump into needle, platform dropping into a needle, and following through correctly is enough.

I get to do it the least to Falcon, Falco, and Fox, though. They can like, run around and stuff.

i didnt say frames.

i said learn the timing.

although if u know frames u know roughly how many seconds.

im not like antiframes or anything, they are pretty useful data
soap is our most valuable resource.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
fffffuuuuuuuu

browser failure

edit: i lied i was actually multiquoting but forgot i had another smashboards tab open D:

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
hold r + direction on c-stick

it will do the input on the earliest frame possible

side = roll
down = sidestep
up = jump

Kone

Smash Master
In what instances should I buffer a sidestep/roll/jump? or when would you expect someone to buffer?

Virgilio

Smash Cadet
mm you can algo approach by running or anything and then shorthop very close to your opponent and throw needles! .. if he shield, the lag will still give you time to grab him.. and if he doesn't, you can grab/attack him anyways.

Good approach ;D .. works with a lot of characters.. but not allways :(
Sorry for the crappy english D:

Top Bottom