• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how do i beat falcon

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
actually kill him when he's off the stage.

shine him into combos more. or combo into shine more. i'm not sure which, so try both and see which works better. if they both work, then even more awesome.

your shield pressure is really... clunky.

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
i play my friend's falco all the time, maybe its just me, but laser's irritate the hell out of me. id just use more lasers if i were you.

xMosmo

Smash Apprentice
You just need to shine more, thats all. Well, effectively shine more, haha. You got shield grabbed a lot.

Hostility

Smash Ace
The reasons falco has such a huge advantage over falco are:

Lasers restricting movement
shine combos
Falcon's recovery blows ****

Your lasers were fine for the most part, but you have problems getting in and getting the shine because you keep getting shield grabbed. Every time the falcon put up his shield he was completely safe from you because he's good at shield grabbing (except for the few times you got a lucky shield stab). Against falcon's who are really really good at shield grabbing, do less pillaring, and space against their shield better. A tipped back air or a tipped Fsmash cannot get shield grabbed. You also for some reason just stopped aggressively grabbing after you killed his first two stocks.

You also seem completely focused on getting combos rather than keeping falcon near the edge and in a bad position. When falcon's back is near the ledge, do whatever you can to keep him there because if falcon gets offstage, he should lose a stock. that falcon just kept rolling behind you every time you had him at the ledge and you never punished it. And get better at edge guarding and figuring out ways of getting falcon offstage where he can't (or shouldn't) be able to do anything. Try to be more aware of your position on the stage in general and what your options are.

You also teched every single one of falcon's throws which isn't the best thing to do. If falcon knows you are going to tech a throw, he is so fast that no matter which way you tech he can regrab you off reaction because falcon runs so fast, he doesn't have to read which direction you are teching. Occasionally miss a tech on purpose to make falcon have to guess more about what you might do, because falcon's wake up game/tech chasing is really what makes this matchup winnable at all for falcon and is extremely dangerous for falco because you can die at practically any percent if you make one wrong guess and falcon knees you.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
Um. Learn to DI. Seriously. Any good Falcon would have turned that into combo fest '09. Your edge guarding..... was just not there. No excuse really because Falcon has no recovery. Get to the edge. If he recovers low, bair him with invincibility frames. If he recovers high, get on stage and smash him off again. You have forever providing he doesn't edge cancel his up+b.

Lock him out with lasers, not just when you are losing. If Falcon can't dash, he loses his dash dance camping, and he loses a lot of effective range on his shuffles.

Shine out of like, everything. You have a follow up at every reasonable percentage.

D

Deleted member

You were being really predictable with the ways that you teched during the match. Everytime he downthrew you near the ledge you teched away from the ledge. That's really predictable, and easy to techread cause you roll right back towards Falcon. Also you teched away from his Dthrow a couple of times really predictably, he can just run after you and Knee, also really easy to techread. Try just teching randomly (not thinking at all about which way you tech, sometimes this can be really bad to do but othertimes it works) or tech really unpredictably. Also avoid spotdodging after techs and rolls, waveshining is higher reward and less laggy.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Mogwai's In-Depth Guide on How to Beat Mid-Bottom Tier Characters (and Falcon)

So as I check up on these boards, sad to see that no one ever uses my Q and A thread, and instead makes a new thread or posts in Shiz's thread that Shiz doesn't post in anymore, I've noticed that Falcos have problems with a lot of random characters, so I've decided to compile a list of tips for beating everyone who's not Fox, Marth, Sheik, Jiggs, Peach, ICs or another Falco.

Falco's moves:
god tier: lasers
excellent tier: utilt, bair, dair, shine
some times excellent tier: nair, fsmash
only really really good tier: everything else but fair
ok tier: fair

Here's the general flow chart for how to win:

1. Don't approach, instead shoot lasers. Since their character is not as good as yours, they don't have a gun, and as such will have to approach you or take 3472598213749% from lasers. Continue to 2 when they approach. If they're being really gay and powershielding or just sitting in shield you can either quit out of the match and pick Sheik or got to 5.

2. Once they approach, hit them with whichever one of your excellent moves makes the most sense. Continue to 3 when you hit them.

3. Once you hit them, combo them with your excellent moves until you don't think you'll be able to hit them again in hitstun. At this point, knock them off stage with your last hit. If you succeed in knocking them off stage, continue to 4, otherwise go back to 1.

4. Once they are off stage, kill them with bair if they recover low, dair if they recover high. If it's Captain Falcon you can also fsmash if he's beneath the stage because your fsmash hitbox is stupid and his up b sweetspot is essentially non-existent. Once they're dead go back to 1.

5. If they're in shield and not taking damage fast enough from lasers, attack their shield with good spacing. Notice that you don't want to pillar cause sometimes they'll stumble into a grab and as I'll explain below, you don't want that to happen. Instead, just space your moves either behind their shield (in which case you can pillar as long as they don't have a good up b out of shield (bowser, DK, Samus) or as far away as your dair will allow. Once their shield is tiny, just shield stab them and go to 3.

Another word of advice, don't get grabbed. If you're going to get grabbed, use an excellent move and hit them instead. Or run away and shoot lasers, they're both good options really.

The key piece of advice here is that Falco is a good character with good moves, whereas your opponent is a bad character with bad moves. Once you realize this and abuse it, you will not lose to bad characters anymore.

And that's it, you're now an expert is showing bad characters why your character is better than theirs.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
That works against Marth, Sheik, and Fox ect. too doesn't it? Also good stuff.
well, yea and no. you have to think a lot more about it vs. those characters.

my point here is that Falco is just a better character than most of the cast and that you just need to do things and not be stupid to beat them. with characters that are as good as him, you're no longer strictly better than them and so even though you're following the same general principles, you need to be familiar with the intricacies of the matchup to actually succeed at it.

Binx

Smash Master
I see, good point, I guess thats fair enough, there are a few characters who actually have some range and options who you need to think vs.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
yes. against taj, focus on number 1, even in friendlies. camp him for 7 minutes. also ban FD so he doesn't 0-death you off every grab. you'll get booed alot, but after the match, everyone will be thinking... "hey, that mewtwo character is not very good and that falco character is... it's almost like that wasn't even fair"

then Taj'll pick marf and 4 stock you.

[/wishful thinking that taj doesn't transcend terrible characters]

CommanderCody08

Smash Apprentice
Good advice but I think Pikachu's thunder jolt beats Falco's lasers in approach standoffs, or at least goes roughly if they space right or on certain levels (corneria, ...).

I also struggle with edgegaurding Pikachu.

Any tips on the Pikachu matchup that weren't covered? (please)

Oh, and I didn't miss the point of the guide which is that Falco is better than those low tiers.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Good advice but I think Pikachu's thunder jolt beats Falco's lasers in approach standoffs, or at least goes roughly if they space right or on certain levels (corneria, ...).
hahahah... yea... no...

lasers obliterate Pikachu, you just need to make sure you're hitting him and he's not hitting you with thunder jolt, which, you know... sounds obvious and stuff, but that's really all there is to it. Of the lower tiered characters, the only ones that can give Falco serious projectile problems are Doc and Mario, but when they are, you're playing it wrong.

I also struggle with edgegaurding Pikachu.

Any tips on the Pikachu matchup that weren't covered? (please)

Oh, and I didn't miss the point of the guide which is that Falco is better than those low tiers.
pikachu has 0 range on basically all his attacks, so I just do a lot of bair and utilt to generate openings on Pikachu.

P.S. ban corneria, Pika's a huge homo on that stage.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Mogwai's posts are so much better when they aren't wrecking me.

ICEDTEA1325

Smash Apprentice
if you are ever not sure what to do just laser and make him approach you. you have a gun for a reason. as for edge gaurding there is two things he can do grab the ledge or land on the stage. so one of the best things to do is stand by the ledge(not hanging on it) if he goes to grab the ledge you can fsmash or wavedash on the ledge. and if he tries to land on the stage just bair him so he is off again. another key is to not wait until he is coming down almost on the stage to hit him beause he can still di and not get hit or if he does get hit he can live longer with good di. edgegaurding doesn't need to be fancy. we forget that a simple fsmash toward the ledge will take the stock but instead we try to do some crazy walljump shine spike combo to make him lose his stock along with his hope. and we get punished. keep it simple.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
Okay, here's what I noticed:

- When you have Falcon off the stage, he should die. End of story. You let him back on way to much.
- You missed chances to pressure his shield in certain spots, and ended up losing all of your pressure altogether.
- It's good to be aggressive, but you dropped through platforms D-airing into nothing a few times. Just don't be recklessly aggressive.
- You missed a lot of sweet spots on the edge, that is important. Consider mixing up your recovery a bit altogether, stay unpredictable.
- This has been stated before, but to reiterate, more lasers.
- Practice your DI? It seems like you were LETTING him combo you.

Dai-A

Smash Journeyman
lol what i noticed the most is. YOU NEVER SWEET SPOT THE EDGE LOL.
ummm learn to do the short phantasm and sweet spot the edge most of the time. but not all the time cause then the falcon would definitely own you. and not to be mean but a good falcon would have made that into a ****ing combo video in one match. he missed everything :(
but hey your pretty good just work on your spacing and sweet spotting.

trinityWOLF

Smash Rookie
ummm....yuah miggz is rite u lost ur momentum after the first two stocks, with falcon u pressure him with lasers...the first two stocks u did rite u spaced urself perfectly and u were doing the absolutely the rite thing...umm one thing was on the edge u didnt have to Bair so much u couldve just edge guarded and stayed there or Fsmash him away...but i mean u did everything rite man. just dont lose ur focus u did everything rite which was pressure with lasers and spacing urself. oh try not to get grabbed by the way....u got tech grab like crazy and that couldve set u up for a combo.

nasir123

Smash Ace
well i have a lot of practice in this match- up and all i do is space lazers and aproch with lazzers dair or lazer nair because if i do that i can combo into a shine which is 1 of c.****'s weaknesses

Top Bottom