• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did you pick your current main charater?

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
For Roy: If you can believe it, it started when I tried to see if Roy countered Fox(My main was Y.Link)...for some reason, I ended up liking Roy. Then I made him my main and found this site.

For Young Link: I need a projectile guy to go with Roy.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
well one day I was tired of playing with Kirby who used to be my main and wanted to try out some new characters so I choose between Samus, Donkey Kong & Bowser, but when I realizd I sucked with both Samus 7 Donkey Kong, I then wanted to Main Bowser and to my astonishment, I was unbeatable (and still am) with Bowser, so to answer this question

Who is my current main? Bowser and will forever will be(at least in Melee he will)

as for Brawl I'm thnking of maining either Snake or Kirby once again, but hopefully this time he'll be just as powerful as he was in SSB

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I play G&W because he's glitchy and no one suspects him. Plus his edge gaurding skills are ridiculous

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
For my first year or so of Melee I basically played as almost anyone until I settled into a groove with Marth. I like swords.

However, once I started getting into the advanced stuff this January, I started to worry about the idea that Marth (or a Marth-ish character) would not be in Brawl/would take a long time to unlock. So in Febuary as to prevent complete suckage when the game is released I tried a character I knew would be in there... Mario.

At first I just wavesmashed and whatnot with him, but as I practiced and stumbled upon videos of good Mario players, my skill with him surpassed my Marth's within the month... vs. Marth's 4 years.

Fast-forward 4 months and I don't even touch Marth anymore. I happily main Mario with Young Link and Luigi as close secondaries. I also mess around with other characters such as Roy and Bowser, but they're obviously not going anywhere fancy.

RayJack

Smash Rookie
I started with Mario because I liked him a lot in the 64 game, and then I just moved on to Dr.Mario after I unlocked him. I tried Luigi too, but he's lame. After a while, I just settled on Dr.Mario.

SiD

Smash Master
I used to play as Young Link (for reason's I can't remember) before I knew about any of the advanced stuff, just playing 4 player matches with items. All I used to do us spam the D-air, without L Canceling no less, and I usually won too.

When I found out the advanced stuff, and saw the tier list, I wanted a better character to play against my friend's Marth. (Back when Marth was top tier with Fox and Shiek). I tried CF but he was too fast, I kept killing myself. So I chose Ganondorf because he sounded easier than most characters. Then I fell in love with his power, plus his bulge almost rivals my own. ;)

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I've gone through a lot of "mains" but now my roster is pretty much set.

I used to main Marth but then I decided that I suck with him so I went to Falco for a few weeks.

After deciding that Falco wasn't for me, I went to the Ice Climbers. I loved them. Their desynches, chain-grabs and kyootness made them awesome.

I decided to main Ness because he has a huge head and YYG is pretty pimp. Ness is just fun to play as.

I've been playing Young Link off and on ever since Melee was first released I decided to stick with him as a main now.

I decided to pick GaW up one day and was amazed at how fun he was. Not to mention I enjoy playing as crappy characters.

I played Mewtwo on and off ever since melee was released too.

Mario is... just awesome. I.... I love him. He's so average...

These are the characters that people usually see me play. Marth and Falco have become more lower-tier secondaries now. My secondaries include Bowser, DK, Ganon, Luigi, Falco and MArth

ToXn

Smash Journeyman
I use whoever I feel like. I went to a tourney the other day and decided to use peach just because I felt like it. I diden't really use her before but I did okay so I decided to main her (secondary ice climbers). Before I used to use marth all the time but he got so boring.

coolhat

Smash Journeyman
I played fox all my life since smash came out, then once i discovered wavedashing and all that trash, I heard it was easiest to do with Luigi, so I tried it once with him, and fell in love.

Troggy

Smash Rookie
I started playing Roy when we first unlocked him a few days after Christmas. He was who I played up until I started playing again in late 2005, I started playing with various characters, and eventually, tried Game & Watch. From the moment I played him, I knew he would be the one I would main from now on. Now I play him most of the time, and second Roy and Falco.

Askeflink

Smash Journeyman
I have mained many chars, but some not so serious. I played Ness in my first tournament(Nintendo-tournamen thingy), but I sucked so hard. Later I stuck with Mario, tried Marth, Sheik and Puff since my friend played really cool Puff.

In a tournament I realised I couldnt play Puff that tecnical and was thinking about another main to really get into. I choosed Doc because I liked his playing-style. So I read guides, watched a lot of vids and played people even more.

I think I got a nice mastering of my Doc today and I don't think I will change main since I play best with him, but I got a lot of secondarys.(Puff, Marth, Fox, Peach, Sheik, DK and YL, but I don't master them as much as with Doc)

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I went through quite a few characters 1st fox when i didn't know about the advanced techinques not even the shine lol. then it was shiek when i still did not know about the advanced techniques. when i found out about it i had 5 which was fox, shiek, link, samus nd peach which i hav now but my favourite out of them jus happend to be peach because i play best with her

Retroking2000

Smash Master
I just had the interest of fox because of ssb 64 and now in melee he can do crazy infinites like JC shine and waveshine it make me so proud .................goes to play fox (^.^)

Mix

Smash Cadet
well before i knew any advanced techniques i joined a smash club at my school and got rocked by this dude using doc. i decided id be gangster like him and main doc and nowwww im the best doc in the crew : P

At first, like most people, I used Link and young Link, Then I switched to Roy for a very long time. Somewhere along the line I figured out that Roy was a noob, so I switched to Marth and was amazed on how much better he was. I curerently use Marth and sometimes Samus.

Dark Link 1045

Smash Rookie
I Picked Dr.Mario, becuase i always liked him better than regular Mario. Also i thought his fast combos but slow movement were more of an asset than a libailty.

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
I picked Kirby in SSB because I like Kirby and love his game series. In SSBM I realized he sucked and went for ICs because they have the same eyes :lick:

I love those googly eyes.

SpeedyHawk

Smash Cadet
Obsession? The only way I can put it. I main Samus, used to main Falco, and before that used to main Zelda (not Shiek). Reasons, in order: Obsession with Metroid games, similarity but better playability than Fox, teh_lightning kick.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I looked at the tier list and settled on a character who was high enough to be good but low enough that I could still make johns when I lose.

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf became my favorite solely because of his jab move. Also, his moves are just so powerful that you don't have to worry about doing way to many complicated combos. Also, I was really used to fast characters, so I figured I had to slow down a little bit. Then, by watching combo videos, I found out that he was a fantastic edge-guarder. He was totally worth it. If only I had found out how good he was a long time ago.

Kaizer

Smash Journeyman
After watching AOB's "Puffstuff", I was astonished by how good that ballon actually was. After that, I started to main him, which I still do today.

Jujumasta

Smash Journeyman
Ganon, because he is a beast edgeguarder (and CGer) and because I saw Tipman's combo vid :laugh:

capt.falcon4life

Smash Apprentice
In another dimension where they treat lesbians lik
my current main today is falco because he is the perfect character that fits my offensive playing style. im thinking of having mario as my main character because he is my favorite nintedo character. he was the very first one i used in ssb64. i liked him since then. when melee came out. i heard that falco from the starfox series was a playble character. i was so shocked when i tried him because he is way better than mario. it was a hard choice but i chose falco over mario.

unknown522

Some guy
I play mario because he is one of my favorite characters of all time. I also really like using him in SSB a lot. I play fox because he can get such easy kills.

Reno>

Smash Journeyman
I played Samus because the suit looked cool. She shoots. and her recovery looked superior even before i learned of bomb jumping.

XZalla

Smash Journeyman
Ganon, because he's one of my favorite video game characters.

This was a 2 or 3 months before MLG Houston 2005.

I mained him because he was sorta 'slow'. And another reason was that I ran out of ideas how to beat my friend's Sheik with Peach and Falco, so I relied on Ganon for his strength. After losing 10+ games, I decided to get better with him.

I liked using slow characters for the sole purpose of showing that he or any others who were slow could be fast. *Bowser was too slow for me* lol

Ganon is the only character that's perfect for me. :)

g0nz02

Smash Apprentice
Mained Sheik backed when I sucked a little bit less, and it was really fun. Spamming jabs and fairs/fsmashes all day.

Then, I went to smashboards and picked up Falco, because he seemed a little bit easier than Fox, and combos are my favorite thing in this game.

Gave up on Falco a few weeks ago. He was getting really boring. I can still play him, but ****.

Now, I'm rolling with some DK (who's really one-dimensional...) and I'm working on my ICs. THey're really, really fun.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Samus was first.. She was armored.. a female.. and kicks some tail.. But a few of my other friends used her and pwned with her so... NEXT

Marth was second.. Cool sword, looked cool, but he didn't feel right in my control. And apparently his sword attacks seemed to simple and repetitive for me.. NEXT

Falco was third.. Cool blaster and moves. He was like Fox, but one of my friends pwned with Fox so I could pwn a long side with him. But I got too caught up in the blaster and spammed it too much.. Stay with him until...

Zelda/Sheik.. A friend used her and I seen the transformation and was like "WTF?!" used her and liked the change in pace every once in a while. And the ability to reflect projectiles and Sheik seemed cool. So I stay with her.

robyextreme

Smash Ace
Mmm.

I hate replying to large threads like this because chances are nobodys going to read your post. But anyway, I picked Pichu when I first played meele at a friends house. He was the first character I saw, because I mained Pika in 64.

I didn't pick him up till about a few years later. If only I chose him sooner instead of switching around with every top/high tier every few months I think I could be a lot better of a smash player.

LeifusYourGod

Smash Cadet
i kept switching mains for the longest time, back when i was a n00b player. then eventually i picked up the game with a more serious notion and main Ganon because i saw a homerun video with him (which is what got me and my friend to play smash again, but seriously) then after a few bad days i tried shiek cause one of my older brothers friends used to play her oh so well, so i figured i could too. been shiek and 2nd ganon ever since

zero3

Smash Cadet
I use Young Link because I've been a Zelda fanboy, Pikachu because I like the Pokemon games, Luigi because as stated earlier, he is indeed, a pimp, and Game and Watch because he's weird as hell.

ChuDat you're my hero

Smash Rookie
I was originally a Fox user, but quickly realized how hard it was to play Fox at a high level, so I dropped him and almost quit Melee due to the fact that I couldn't SH consistently. Then I saw an IC's vid, not sure who played them, but saw them do a Blizzard, that pushed their opponent off then saw the other climber jump off the stage and F-air spike his opponent, I was like WTF! Thats ****ing Badass! I'm gonna use these guys now! So I picked up IC's and watched some ChuDat videos and have been maining them ever since.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
ICs are harder to use than fox is, picking up and getting ot tournament level

why do you think ICs are the least used high tiered characters

Top Bottom