• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did you pick your current main charater?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
Howdy, I never make topis in the melee discussion place so I thought I might as well ask a question here...

How did you choose YOUR main character?

Yes, I mean your tourney character, not your "favorite" character, but the one you use primarily in matches that matter.

I think its pretty obvious why I chose mine, its because he is my favorite Nintendo character, I love him in every game he is in and I was really excited when I heard he would be in Melee, he was the first character I ever chose in the game and I've stuck with him since, I've had a few secondaries from time to time to go with him, but they never had priority over Bowser.

Recently I've dropped all secondaries to go all Bowser in tourneys and have been doing much better.

So, how did you choose YOUR main?

Was it because the character was good but you lost your old main in order to improve your own skill? tell us here. Do you even like your character? Do you play fox solely because of his shine? Maybe you are a speed freak and need to play as captain falcon? Power characters are for you so you choose Ganon? Does the character just fit your style? Do you LOVE down on the cstick so peach was the girl for you?

Explain how you chose your current main, I'm very curious.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
I play Fox because he's my main from SSB64. I played him then because SF64 was the coolest game ever.

As it turns out, Fox is the best character in the game. Pretty cool considering he's my favorite one.

TridenT

Smash Cadet
Good to see I got you thinking, Gimpy, and yes, I am in fact stalking you from the Ness board. >_>

But I won't lie, I've played and enjoyed Ness ever since I was the scrubbiest of N64 SSB scrubs. I did so because I am an Earthbound fanatic, but that was only the reason I picked him initially. I've stuck with him because his moveset is very unique among the character roster, and his movement is often strange to people used to battling Fox after Fox after Sheik after Ganon after Falco after Falcon after Fox. <_<

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
when i first started to play the game seriously, i had watched any video i could find on this forum discussion, i started playing seriously in oct 2005, and the first video i saw was Wound of wind, ever since then i've mained marth, not because seeing ken do all of the stuff, i could careless about that, but what i saw was possible for marth to do astonished me, therefore i picked him.

Agile

Smash Rookie
Well, I would constantly try new characters, see if any were better than my current one, or if I could get myself better to the point where I could play better as that character. Thats how I came up with my current main character, Marth. He is fast, fast attacks, not too fast, but not slow either. Cons with this one, light weight, as in he flies around easily. He does not have the greatest finishing blows, so his kills, depending on the ability of the player, can easily be stolen by someone else v.v

mood4food77

Smash Hero
ganon, uhhh he used to be my second to doc because he was the only character i could be giga bowser with in adventure mode to get his trophy, after that i went to these small things at a place called toywiz and befriended a few guys there, we fought and it happened that my ganon gave them the most trouble and since then, i've mained ganon, even when husband and wife told me to go to fox or falcon, pfft, who needs top tier

Respawn

Smash Journeyman
In the shadows. Or NE Ohio. Whichever sounds bette
In my earlier stages of this game (when I sucked), I used to just move around from character to character, not really choosing one in particular. I mained Link for a while, until I realized I couldn't beat my friend's Marth with him.

I moved on to Sheik, who I used for quite a while. She's quick, and that's what I needed to defeat Marth. I continued with her, until I came across the site Smashwiki. This opened my eyes to new things that I had never heard of before. Based on info I got from that site, I chose Falco.

As it turned out, I sucked with Falco. I moved onto Ness. I was pretty good with Ness, and accomplished the goal of beating all my mates with him. Then I started watching a few videos. I watched Phanna Mints I-III and I thought to myself:
"I wanna do THAT!"

So now I main Samus. I train basically every day, trying to perfect my SWD. I can get it 20% of the time now. Occasionally I'll get two or even three in a row.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
My very first character used to be Marth but then this guy named John Curry kept on playing as fox and kept on beating me so then i thought "oh fox must be very good since john keeps on beating me!". So then fox was my main until recently when Mojo (former elite 4 member)beat my fox with his shiek and Tron V2.0's jigglypuff made this amazing comeback in a 1v1. I then switched to peach which im owning Tron v2.0,xCurex and mojo right now. Until i get beaten, peach is my main.

Nekorion

Smash Apprentice
Went IC. Realized the de-synching thing was too hard for me to do/understand. Gave up.

Thought about how slow I was with the controller and realized I needed something that was efficient not because of technical skill but because of the way things strung together.
Tried shiek for a bit, realized didn't like her.

Used samus completely by accident and sort of was okay with it. Realized I couldn't really use anyone else anymore so I stuck with her. Happy with her for right now.

Megaa

Smash Cadet
I try and use everyone I can. I like to "main" IC, Ganon, and Fox because persoanlly, they are the most fun for me to use. I also like Yoshi, Falco, Peach, Marth, and Pichu though. =P

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
I used to main Marth, until I realized I sucked with him. Then, I saw my first Chu Dat video, and was completely blown away by what the ICs were capable of. All of my friends main either Sheik, Fox, or Falco and I wanted to do something different. It was love at first wavedash.

Somebody

Smash Journeyman
I play samus because I love all the metroid games and she is just cool. Her move set just makes sense to me and fits my style very well. I use ganon, fox, and cf too but they are all just secondaries that I also think are fun.

I've only had a few actually tourney matches but I've used samus in all of them.

blindhobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PSN: Ligray
When I played the first SSB, I chose Mario because I liked his hat. Then I unlocked Luigi and switched to him because his hat was GREEN.

Then a friend beat me with his Fox. So then I played Fox for the rest of my time playing SSB.

Melee came out. Didn't get to play it until 2004. Tried Fox thinking he would be the same, but to my surprise he was FASTER! (NO WAI)

I like speed, didn't know who anyone else on the screen was besides the ones from the original. And I chose Fox once again. Didn't even know about the shine...or anything.

But I've stuck with him since then.

SSB basically introduced me to games. I only knew of Pokemon from TV and didn't know about LoZ, Metroid, etc. Yeah...

The Killer Yoshi

Smash Journeyman
Link used to be my main but one day I decided to mess around with Yoshi. I never really used him before but I found out I had a very accurate egg throw from the start and he was pretty easy for me to use so I gave Yoshi a try and he turned out to be the perfect main for me.

Ulti

Smash Journeyman
I mained Marth at first, but I realized I wasn't the greatest (or even good) with him after attending my first few tournaments. I liked Marth's range and edge-gaurding options, but disliked his inconsistant damage/knockback (thanks to non-tippers), and my inability to combo whatsoever with him. Ganon seemed like a good fit. Rediculous range, decent edge-gaurding, consistantly high damage and knockback, and not combo reliant. I've stuck with him ever since, and I think he's now even faster than my Marth is.

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing and reading faqs here on the character discussion rooms and realized that EVERYBODY can make an extremely well player, including Pichu. So I had no idea when I came to the boards, but recently, I've been addicted to Luigi's wavedash and fair chop skills....

Fletch

Smash Master
Let's see... in the approximately 6 months I've been playing Melee, I've switched mains many times. I started with Ness, simply because I played in the n64 version. After learning he sucks and that I sucked with him, I moved to Pikachu because I loved his down-B thunder attack. After I learned that spamming that over and over again sucked, I moved to Mewtwo, because I thought he would be awesome since he was so good in Pokemon. After learning that he sucked, I came on to the boards, saw the tier list, realized I was playing the "wrong" characters, and moved to Marth (I used Roy as a secondary, so figured Marth would be an easy transition). After owning my friends for a bit, I took a break, as Marth seemed very boring to me, although he was my best character. When I came back to seriously playing, I picked up Peach after seeing a combo video. When I got bored with her, I picked up Falco, then Jiggs, then Doc, then Fox, etc.

Anyways, what I think I am getting at is that my main is different at any given time (I'm playing Fox/Peach currently), but I think the best way to choose a main is to pick a character you feel comfortable with and also have fun playing. Some may argue that I only play the high tier characters though (which is mostly true), so I decided to bring back Pikachu as well, and learn to play him without Thunder spamming...

N64

Smash Champion
Played shiek, found out she was too good, switched to mario, then switched to pika. And I love the rat's moveset so much.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
In ssb 64 I mained yoshi oringinally. Then I didn't like him because of his lack of a recovery up b. Then I used mario for a while. When I unlocked Ness, which took me forever since I didn't know about him for a long time, I liked pk thunder, his bat, and his nair so much i dropped mario and picked him up. When ssbm came out I kept my two characters. I tried to learn IC's, but lacking any knowledge in WD's at the time, I gave up. I always used to pick jigglypuff from time to time. After Super Mario bros. 2 I had always wanted to use peach in a game. After consulting the tier list and checking out my character's moveset for some time I came up with my order of mains (in my sig).

Ensee

Smash Ace
I used Captain Falcon until I unlocked Roy, then I started using him. I realized I really liked Roy, and used him for quite some time. Then I noticed Marth was faster and better, so I started using him. And here I am.

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
Adelaide, Australia. Along with my Mad Duck.
Played SSB64 at my friend's house once, chose Yoshi and Pikachu as mains. I sucked, but I enjoyed myself anyway :)

Then I moved to South Australia and thus left my friend. Hired SSB64 from Blockbuster a couple of times but couldnt buy it (darns no monies!!!). Got a Gamecube in Christmas 2004, and got Smash Melee with it and chose my old mains of 64 Smash. Phailed miserably, but still enjoyed them. Unlocked Ganon, which made my dream come true, to which I choose him now to this very day :)

And when Brawl comes along...I know who I'm checking out first (if he's in) :D

crescentia

Smash Journeyman
I tried Ganondorf for a while when I didn't have the game because he had a relatively quick roll. Someone pummeled him with Falco, so I picked him up once I got the game.

And then I picked up Fox on the side, and now they're my mains. It also helps that Starfox 64 was pretty much the first N64 game I ever played.

I think that, given a natural progression of owning the game and playing it for several months, I would've started with Marth.

Citrussed

Smash Journeyman
Well, One day I went to my cousins house and they had ssbm. We started playing it and I fell in Love *cough* with Peach and Zelda. I NEVER EVER switch to shiek cause I just plainly like Zelda more. I then picked up GaW and Ness. After realising I totally sucked with Ness, I dropped him and became a Kirby and Pichu User. O_o I just keep learning bad characters dont I.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
Erm, a topic on GameFAQ's about Kirby primarily convinced me.

Yes, GameFAQ's.
was that the kirby discussion topic where omnigamer me and you would discuss certain things to experiment with and strategies and what not from gamefaqs? I think i still have a word doc of that entire topic on my laptop, it was like 250+posts long of USEFUL information! (YES! FROM GAMEFAQS!)

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I switched my main from fox to Ganon about 2 months ago when I heard of this kid who has won every local tournament using Ganon. I figured there was some hidden talent in Ganondorf, so I went and discovered it for myself

Vall3y

Smash Lord
lol when u said "Yes, I mean your tourney character, not your "favorite" character, but the one you use primarily in matches that matter." i thought u mean you dont really play bowser in tourny matches, but then i kept reading... :dizzy: anyway...
at first i played ganon because i thought he was cool. then i relized he is pretty *cough* bad vs common tourny chars, so i switched to falcon which always looked cool to me. then i relized that i should also play a really good char, because falcon is also *cough* bad vs common tourny chars.
i picked marth over other really good chars, because i just like him more. i like watching pro marths play, and i like the kind of style you play with him. i also though he has much potential more than people recognized but now when i think of it i was probably wrong.

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
I mainly play marth or shiek, but id probably play marth mainly in a tournament, due to the fact that i like the style itself better, and pulling off combos (if i can), and because i know that the dash attack doesent work too well against people who know what they are doing XD

iankobe

Smash Lord
It all started with Pikachu. When the game first came out, I thought it was just a game. Not like a really competitive one. And I started playing with Pikachu. But after that, my friends and I started playing seriously and so I started using Mario. After a long period of time, I realized that Doc is a better character to use and so now he's my main.

That was about 4 years ago....wow...

Eaode

Smash Champion
At first i played marth. after realizing i sucked with marth, I moved to captain falcon after trying him out and seeing some vids. I do fairly good with falcon. But one day, I broke out my falco, and I realized he was my best character.

So I'd say falco's my main, but i still play marth, CF, Fox, Doc, and Mewtwo.

Mewtwo FTW!

EDIT: my sig tells all. in te right order ^_^

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
When melee came out in 01 I played Ness for the longest time (Used him in SSB so I figured might as well transfer over to Melee) but then I found out his B attack PK Flash or as me and my friends call it PK CRUST!!!!!!!!!! (if you listen closly thats what ness actually says)was really useless to me. But then I found out Falco is a character and I was always a fan of Starfox and Falco was by far the coolest character so I picked up Falco then I foudn out about advanced techniques and now people yell at me for playing Falco...YAY

Top Bottom