• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did you pick your current main charater?

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Hmm, Ive been switching around, but I like a character that makes people mad, then I have the advantage, and I like having the advantage...^^

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
I watched that "how to h4x in SSBM" video when I started wavedashing and such, decided I liked Mario after using him to learn WDing and L cancelling and SHFFLing, and then just never moved to another character. (Well, I usually use the Doc now, but whatever).

drago980

Smash Apprentice
i normally use sheik because shes so cheap but recently ive taken to marth instead. his wavedash is easier and he has the longest sword range in the game(i think). at first i thought"why choose marth instead of roy"? Roy has more power into his attacks but hes a bit slower. so what? then i saw that he really was slower than marth and marth is a whole lot faster. also his dtilt is great for edgeguarding

BackSeatBandit

Smash Rookie
Good to see I got you thinking, Gimpy, and yes, I am in fact stalking you from the Ness board. >_>

But I won't lie, I've played and enjoyed Ness ever since I was the scrubbiest of N64 SSB scrubs. I did so because I am an Earthbound fanatic, but that was only the reason I picked him initially. I've stuck with him because his moveset is very unique among the character roster, and his movement is often strange to people used to battling Fox after Fox after Sheik after Ganon after Falco after Falcon after Fox. <_<
Pretty much my reasons haha. Ness' unique moves make him stand out. I also loved EB when I was little.

I started out using Kirby and Ice Climbers (I was pretty good with them, surprisingly) then went to Dr. Mario (and Luigi sometimes), then finally, I stuck to Ness. Pretty strange, since I was terrible with him in SSB, and used Kirby instead.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
When I played the first SSB, I chose Mario because I liked his hat. Then I unlocked Luigi and switched to him because his hat was GREEN.

Then a friend beat me with his Fox. So then I played Fox for the rest of my time playing SSB.

Melee came out. Didn't get to play it until 2004. Tried Fox thinking he would be the same, but to my surprise he was FASTER! (NO WAI)

I like speed, didn't know who anyone else on the screen was besides the ones from the original. And I chose Fox once again. Didn't even know about the shine...or anything.

But I've stuck with him since then.

SSB basically introduced me to games. I only knew of Pokemon from TV and didn't know about LoZ, Metroid, etc. Yeah...

You shelterd shelterd child.

As for me. It has been a Falcon trip ever since the first 64 falcon punch in the face.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I started with Fox, but once I unlocked Marth I realized he fit my style better and pretty much stuck with him as my main.

Numa Dude

Smash Lord
In ssb64 my main is captain falcon because he is so strong but when I got melee I didn't really have a main until recently.First I thought my main was ness but I didn't enjoy using him then I tried using captain falcon but he wasn't as strong as he was in ssb64 but I liked his moveset so I tried ganondorf and found out he was the perfect character for me.

Pure of Heart

Smash Journeyman
Well, when I played SSBM when it first came out, as soon as I unlocked Roy I started to main him. I was only little, so a few days later I quit playing smash. Now, I have picked Smash back up and began to main him again. I guess it was the fact that I thought that he was cool when I was little and just began playing smash...? I have no clue. XD

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
MARIO FOR TWO REASONS

Reason 1.) I was a big Legend of Zelad: Ocarina of Time fan when SSB64 came out, so I first tried to play Link back then, but I did not like him. I experimented with all the characters, and the one whose style I liked the best was Mario. So, well Melee came out, I naturally stuck with Mario.

Reason 2.) Out of all the characters on the list, my favorite is Mario.

My secondary character is Game and Watch.

marthsword

Smash Ace
Falco is my mainiest of mains, and fox is my second mainiest. It was bomsoldier vs. masashi vids that got me hooked on falco, and later SDM's AR fox vids took made me think. "What if I could be that good, I would take smash to a new level, beyond BS and masashi." He was using AR in zero mercy though, in frame by frame mode, and against computers.

I conquered three level 9's in one minute, 3 stock just like him, but that was when I found that I can get a computer to suicide infinitely on congo jungle, It was exploiting the glitch, I didn't use much skill.

Marthmaster92

Smash Champion
Stuck between a parallel dimension of code and you
i was link originally, and i always tried out every new character i unlocked. i tried marth, and said, "ah, he's alright, but not someone I would use." then i saw a couple of matches with Ken, and thought, "maybe I should give him a whirl." lo and behold over the course of about 2 months my main was marth.

yorpy

Smash Journeyman
well, i've kinda mained as everyone for a while, yes even bowser, and samus was always my secondairy, but then people started to say that i was wayyyy better with samus than with bowser (my main at the time) so i switched all of my gameplay to samus and have been using her ever since.

mirage_drag0n

Smash Apprentice
Well i look at the tier list (yes i know you shouldn't pick from the tier list but i wanted to get an idea of how good a character is). So there was Sheik, Marth, Fox, Peach and Falco. I tried them all. Sheik was really easy to use and so was Marth so they became my main. Fox was good as well but hard to master. I just didn't get Peach because i kept dying with her. And Falco was good too though Sheik and Marth was easy to use for me.

I also went and tried Samus and she was really easy to use, just kept spamming.

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
My first smash vids in 2004 were of Isai (Falcon) vs CaptainJack(shiek) in san fran, and the matches were close. I had heard before hand that shiek was supposedly the best character in the game, but the matches were so close it made me angry to see Isai's underdog falcon lose even tho he pulled off some fantastic knees...oh yeah...how can anyone pass up on a move like the knee? an electric sizzling burning **** in midair...YOUR FAACCCE YES-HUAH-HUFF- YAMOVES!

SilverDraco134

Smash Cadet
I used to play as powerhouses like Bowser and Ganon. While their moves are fast, their mobility was lacking. That came to light when I faced my cousin and his Falco. He beat me but good. I tried to match him with Fox. I got annihilated. I found out I am more of a patience fighter, waiting for my foe to attack first. With Samus I held my own fairly well at first, after a bit I was, only barely able to keep up with him (he's good at Falco's comboes). It's down to Peach's versatility and Marth's speed and sharpness. I hope one of the two will suit me.

thebasman

Smash Apprentice
I started to play Marth because I thought he played so smoothly and all his combos just flowed so well. Plus, I wanted a character with range because everyone I knew played Space Animals and I wanted to be different than them and still be able to beat them.

Ipwn

Smash Apprentice
Lol, i tried alotta chars.. Cfalcon, Mario, Doc, Sheik, Fox, Falco, Marth, IC
but im now getting bettah with IC. . Chainthrhow zero death ftw XD

WhiteOblv

Smash Ace
i didnt start playing seriously till july 05 were i picked an mained marth ever since ive bein using him picking up fox for sheiks tho cuz i hate sheiks >_>.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
I started off playing Roy because he was a different sort of character compared to who my friends were using at the time. So he became my main.

Courtofdoom

Smash Apprentice
I ended up picking Marth because I saw Ken use him, and like any other smash noob I thought "**** I can do that."

Then I expanded to Fox and Falcon because I hate playing slow moving characters.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
When the game first came out, I stuck with YLink for a long time from when I first unlocked him. I really liked his speed, and his Up+B. (Yeah...)

Then I moved to Falco, I really liked the Starfox series, and I liked the character of Falco. It appeared to me that Falco was superior, mainly because his laser stunned. >_> I didn't go in-depth, just chose Falco.

Found out about competitive smash, looked up on the tier list when it wasn't the new one. I saw Falco was 5th, which was good enough for me. So I started training in-depth.

Peaches were giving me a bit of trouble though, and I missed playing YLink. So I picked him up again as a counter-pick, he also does well against ICs. <3

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
less then 2 years ago i got SSBM, Beinga poke fanatic i picked, pika, pichu ,jiggz, and Mew2. after a couple weeks i stopped playing because i did not win a single game(or even got close) and i sucked.after a few monthes I was bored so i started playing the game more. i got a lot better with mew2 and pika but STILL can't win so i started putting effort and my strategy(since i LOVE statistics(I'm a nerd like you!)) I then CAN't lose(atleast to my freinds and schoolmates)
After that I gone on the internet and started WDing and I've been trying 2 play competitive smash for 6 months(I am a god compared to the others in my town but still a newb is SWF)

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
I main Marth because he's the first character I ever picked up. I can't play anyone else that well, so I stick with him.

Joeshmoe

Smash Cadet
when i first got the game, i used sheik and did combos with the basic smash moves. i accidentally unlocked young link in a few weeks afterwards, and fell in love (not literally). I have beaten the game a few times with him (i had a bad memory card that kept corrupting my data), so i made him my main. until i learned about the advanced moves from waks videos, i mostly used pogo sword (my name for his dair). ive been practicing the new moves for a few days and have been getting better about not spamming...of course, i beat event match 51 by only using pogo sword and Up+B...hehe...

golden_leeroy

Smash Journeyman
I used to main Link because I was a huge Legend of Zelda fan. After a while I realized that I really sucked with Link, and moved on to Fox, Marth,...etc...Luigi...etc

fabianmo

Smash Apprentice
Well i picked Peach cause i lost a bet to one of my friends that was that if I lost i would use the character he would choose( at that time he thought that peach was awful so he picked her), he chose peach and he sheik, amazngly i won and started using her as my main ever sine:laugh:

FOB

Smash Ace
I used to play fox, but I was always aggrivated whenever I was edgegaurded by my brother's Jigglypuff. I couldn't understand how fox had and advantage on Jiggz (I do now). Eventually he needed specific character practice because he always lost to the same person in his comp. club. Playing doc was TONS of fun because it was much easier to SH and I instantly fell in love w/the fact that I could win by spamming his pills and fair. About a week later I decided to check the Doc boards and i learned that there was a lot more advanced techs (stupid tricks that can be implamented in battle) that I could learn and I liked the idea of playing someone that wasn't high teir. It makes you feel a lot better when you win ^_^.

That was a while back though... I still wonder what it would be like if I was still playing fox...

I'd probably be WAY better. :laugh:

Bwmat

Smash Ace
Really, as always, i'm sort of unsure of my main.

I guess it's captain falcon, as meta says it is...

Back in 2005 while i was sort of new to this game (i had played it before, but never with anyone who was any good) I just jumped around with my main characters. I actually can't remember much about my character picking habits. One day i realized how awesome teh KNEE was, so i decided to only play as captain falcon for a week or two. Nowadays, i seem to do best with him, but i also play a lot of doc, fox, gannon, and a bit of marth.

My second best character would probably be fox, but the better i get at this game, the worse, relatively, i seem to get as fox. My fingers just aren't fast enough to play him at a high level, especially seeing how stubborn i am about using the control stick to wavedash (many a suicide there...)

On a completely unrelated note, this is my first post here. I've read some topics sporadically in the past, but i felt like responding to this one, so i just made an account. I wonder how long it will take the friend who bothered me about joining to find me. I'm scared ;_; (j/k)

On a second unrelated note, i wonder if anyone but him and another friend i have on this board knows who i am. If you do, tell me. My ego loves any inflation it can get :)

OmegaXangel

Smash Journeyman
I play Fox because he's my main from SSB64. I played him then because SF64 was the coolest game ever.

As it turns out, Fox is the best character in the game. Pretty cool considering he's my favorite one.
This is pretty much what was in my head. Fox is just so **** cool. And Star Fox games are awsome.

Metà

Smash Master
I picked up DK because he's a fat, hairy ape and I can relate to him physically.
Matt, you are awesome. I got you so fast on your registration.

Anyway, I mained Sheik before I got into advanced tech, because she was fast and fun to play as. I have really always played as everyone though.

When I went to my first tournament, I learned how awesome Falco was, because of his Lazers, shine combos, and spike, so I picked him up, and I still use him time to time, but he's now just my secondary.

Then, many months later, I picked up Sheik. Then Falcon. Then I tried to learn Fox and gave up. e_e

So now I play Puff, and I have for several months now, with a strong Fox/Falco/Sheik/Doc/Falcon.

[/story of my life]

*_*

Smooth_One

Smash Ace
I used Sheik for a very long time, since Melee was released until about a two years ago, then I switched to Marth. (Yeah, n00bs fall easy for the easy-to-learn characters. =P)
But before my first tourney I knew that Marth was kinda slow and I needed to be faster to keep up with Foxes and Falcos, so I switched to Falcon. I've mained him for about 4 months now. ^_^

Too bad he doesn't fair too well against space animals either.
OMG pun.

Zink

Smash Champion
I play Falco, becuz SHL is the best thing ever ^_^ Also, who doesn't love shine>dair>shine>dair combos.
Then is Marth, because his air combos rule.
Then is CF, because he is the awesomest, automatically.
Then is a jumbled mess- I have mained, at one time or another, Samus, ICs, Link, Gannondorf, Puff, Kirby, and Sheik.

Top Bottom