• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did you decide to main the IC's?

Roy-G-Biv

Smash Journeyman
It was simple.
For me, it started, back in the days of SSBM.
I mained Link, I was really good.
My friends and I were owning each other.
I was like, "I'll own you with any charater"
So, I decided to pick the IC's, thinking "These guys are no good whatsoever."
And Guess what, They own.

So my IC journey began.
And to this day, I still use Link too.

So how'd you end up maining the IC's?

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
Rariety. No1 uses IC's, which determines me even more 2 main them. Ah, and I luv the outfits.
Blue outfits + Green gloves = Auto Win

slacker!

Smash Journeyman
They were like the only character I could wavedash with LOL so I stuck with them. But after a couple months I could do all the fancy tricks with everyone but I still held onto my dear Popos and my Nana b.

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
I switched from Game and Watch. I honestly feel that IC are the best characters in the game.
I switched to them after I started winning more.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Rariety. No1 uses IC's, which determines me even more 2 main them. Ah, and I luv the outfits.
Blue outfits + Green gloves = Auto Win
Heck yes, Laser Bust, they outfits are win! But I started using them when someone told me to pick who I thought was the worst character in the game so I picked the unused tiny outcasts, who just happen to own anyone in their path.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
They're adorable. o.o;

And when I found out everyone was using Sheik in Melee, I decided I needed a more obscure character, so I chose them. <3

Gichan

Smash Champion
I started using Ice Climbers cause my friends kept making fun of them saying they are garbage. So then I picked them and did very well without knowing all the advanced techniques. It was then I started watching videos to learn desynch, wavedashing, and chu-dat(!). From there on I loved these eskimos, my friends get owned all the time from them.

They are just so original and rare so feels good to use them.

Straylit

Smash Cadet
A couple months before Melee came out i had already decided i was going to main IC's. All through melee i called them my main, occasionally taking breaks to play other characters. But really? I dunno ive always just loved the climbers and have stuck with them over the years.

whut?

Smash Journeyman
Not to be racist but :( ........
Most shiek users were African-Americans........
That was a proven fact........
wow, that is seriously racist of you to say.
"proven fact" lmao, was there a scientific study done?
i could say all peach users were fat white kids but theres no basis to that as well.

Straylit

Smash Cadet
i could say all peach users were fat white kids but theres no basis to that as well.
Some fat, white, peach playing kid is going to be very upset at said post...

The H Kid

Original
I chose to second main Ice climbers because i saw a video of Ice climbers head butting other Ice climbers and i was absolutely stunned how hardcore they were

D3w3y

Smash Cadet
I stumbled across them cause i always thought they were terrible and I was owning my one friend with the top tier charaters b/c he wasnt very good and hes like i bet you cant beat me with the Ice Climbers so of course i destoryed him and was like wow there not so bad

After a bit of practice i was beating my friends who were good with them now all i hear is wow thats not fair you have 2 people and I only have one, I love it.

D3w3y

Smash Cadet
And and the whole rasist shiek thing, he wasnt being rasict just saying an observation of his and considering shiek is considered one of the best in the game it wasnt a mean one so relax.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I just saw them in an add for Melee before it came out, saw there were two, and instantly decided I would main them because they looked like they would be so much fun, and I've stuck with them ever since. I never even knew how to do any advanced techniques with them until Brawl came out (except wavedashing, which I thought was useless lol) because it was fun just having normal matches without using exploits and stuff.

The first day I played Melee, I used Mr. Game & Watch first because he seemed strange, I didn't like him, so I used Ice Climbers, when I found out Nana could die without you, I kept asking everyone to kill her so I could try playing solo, turns out it's fun to play like that, so I have matches every now and then in brawl where I go solo the whole match just for fun, and I win about half of those matches due to people underestimating popo.

It's funny how everyone I knew (that hadn't battled me) used to say Ice Climber sucked, now that brawl is out, everyone I know says they hate to fight them xD. Even my neighbor, who I used Ice Climbers against for years who used to say he was probably the only people who didn't mind fighting them because he was used to it, hates when I use them now, because I can desync and chain grab. I however, love fighting other Ice Climber users.

I'm making sheik my secondary character in brawl because I hated using her so much in melee, and now that I started using her, she's fun. I've tried her out in melee again recently, and I just didn't like her there. Strange how I like the brawl sheik better o.o

Enzyme

Smash Apprentice
You unlocked G&W first day? *Is skeptical*

I play them because I love shouting out "I have TWO hammers!" whenever I hit someone with a smash attack...

and their cgs are a fun way to piss off my friends when they say that melee sucked, so I go ICs in Brawl to teach them a lesson, XD.

Roy-G-Biv

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I apologize, but I said something before.
Not to be racist but :( ........
Which means I'm not a racist.
I even put a sad smiley!

(Wow...... I never expected so many people to like, respond to my saying.)

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
All you who says they thought IC's sucked in Melee or who just picked them up for Brawl doesn't know what you're talking about, so please refrain from making statements about their stature/tier-worthiness and the like.

I decided to start playing them since 1985, a year before I was born, on the NES, pondering in my mother's womb what game I would play when I was 1st hatched. They were fun then, and I've enjoyed playing as them ever since...

Hector: Idk if you trying to be funny or serious, but that was hilarious... *sig'd*

Switch FC
SW 1721 4573 3132
After seeing them on the cover in the little square when Melee first came out, I thought they were sunflowers. "Fighting with Sunflowers?" Then I read the back of the cover and seen the words "Ice Climbers" I had played Ice Climber way back when, when I was about 5/6. I feel in love with that game somehow and decided to play it even to this day. After encountering that they're confirmed in Brawl, I got overexcited and wanted to camp out to be the first to get the game in Sudbury.

ChiiGamer

Smash Rookie
After seeing them on the cover in the little square when Melee first came out, I thought they were sunflowers. "Fighting with Sunflowers?" Then I read the back of the cover and seen the words "Ice Climbers" I had played Ice Climber way back when, when I was about 5/6. I feel in love with that game somehow and decided to play it even to this day. After encountering that they're confirmed in Brawl, I got overexcited and wanted to camp out to be the first to get the game in Sudbury.

Lol I thought they were those Crayzee Dayzees that I saw in Paper Mario for the 64 when I played Melee for the first time at a friend's house.:laugh:

Smasher89

Smash Lord
I had been walking around with alot different characters everything from shiek to yoshi and got the ability to handle them ok, but had some hard time at tournament matches about what to counterpick.

I learned that different people had different amount of training against certain characters and it wasn't usually the best to take the character that has advantage just in that matchup, the surprise effect gave me som wins when using LT chars.

After a couple of tournament's I started to have a harder time getting to the brackets and I had seen other people develop their game around one char(maybe 2) and gotten alot better at that time, so I just had to get a main soon.
Choosing the IC's was after some desynchtraining lika Nanapult and practicly owned alot of falco players (they had no IC training at all) and the advantage over the top players in europes characters (marth, shiek, fox and falco at that time, with like no peaches).
To not mention their possibilities with their grabs and reverse smashes and how fun they are to use made me start maining them, but I don't neglect other characters (maybe yoshi) just because I try to stick to them, knowledge is power and I´ve got some great creative counterpicks to use^^

EDIT: Forgot to mention what made me stick to them in brawl.

I thought after testing them out early (before altering grabs was discovered) that they might not be as great as in SSBM so I actually started to look for another character.
Then I saw the dthrowing to dairspikeing player owning a pikachu, who seemed to not be able to do anything, and though, yay they must be like top tiers now, there´s no reason not to play them even with their big loss of movement speed^^

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I dabbled in them because I liked wavesmashing. But I had always thought "If I can get them to do two different things at once, they'll be nasty." Lo and behold. I saw my first Desynch video and I immediately switched.

That and they're stupidly cute. O_O

Byronman

Smash Journeyman
They just happened to be the characters I was best with in melee. But I was in the dark about their different moves until recently. In fact, I didn't know you could desynch until February of this year (which also happens to be the month I learned that people played brawl competitively/professionally).

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I played them because their playing style was different from everyone else, being a duo. Since no one played them, I decided to break that cycle. Before, when I didn't care about who they were and what their names were, I thought they were some kind of sunflower people because of the way the hood shows their heads in the icon when you are choosing characters...

billythegoat

Smash Journeyman
I chose them back in melee because they had such a different play style, and you are gaurenteed a hard learning curve when you have multiple characters to control.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Oddly enough, I couldn't stand them in Melee. For some reason, I like the changes they recieved in Brawl. I decided to make them one of my mains based on the changes and how I wanted to use at least one technically challenging character. Also, I like the concept of boyfriend/girlfriend fighting together and depending on each other to survive. It reminds me of Pazu and Sheeta from Hayao Miyazaki's "Laputa: Castle in the Sky." :laugh:

iceclimbersinfinent

Smash Apprentice
well i never used them in melee, i thought they were terrible and when we got brawl we claimed characters that none can use, then ice climbers were one of the only 5 left so i took them, then i started hearing about cgs with them and then just started using them

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
The way I started with the Ice Climbers was pretty interesting I think.

Around the time Melee came out, I was the N64 smash player in my town. I could play with anyone pretty well and knew a lot of things about the game. It was and still is my favorite game :).

When one of my friends finally unlocked everything, he decided to have a tournament with people from my school. This was about 2 months after the release of Melee and I didn't play it much because I didn't have my own copy. (My mom was strict about the game ratings, and freaked out when she saw the ray gun shock people on the N64 version. She threw my N64 game out so I didn't have that either. :( I was in the 6th grade back then.)

25 Characters were a bit overwhelming for me at the time and I didn't know who to use. I agreed on not using any N64 characters, so it made choosing difficult. I knew Game and Watch well enough but I didn't feel like using a character that no one else knew about, because I didn't think it was fair. Game and Watch games were my introduction to video games.

So I decided to use a character that none of us knew about, the Ice Climbers. And they only stage we played on was Mushroom Kingdom because we were noobs back then.

Everytime I started a match, I would end up grabbing the edge, and Nana would die. I didn't look at the match any different, because I didn't know any better, and I was able to defeat everyone I faced. In that match I figured out the side b recovery with them. I used that attack and saw that he spun around. I figured that if he spun like that, I could rise off the ground like I did with Mario and Luigi's tornado in the N64 version. Especially since I died using Up-b Solo.

A year passed since then and I finally had my own copy of Melee. My goal in that game was like any other game I owned, to unlock everything I could without cheating, and beat the game, because I only had one controller for a really long time. And my parents wouldn't let me go to my friends house that often. As soon as I started playing it, I tried the Ice Climbers out in Adventure mode on Normal. When I got to Mario and Peach, I beat them without taking any damage. And I still had Nana. I destroyed them because everytime I did an attack, Nana lagged, and would either do the same attack afterwards or do another attack in the same direction. I never knew it was called "desynching" nor did know that it was an advanced technique until last year. I also didn't think it was all that hard. I never tried to learn the wavedash because I thought and still think it was a discovered glitch. It would happen either from sidestepping an attack or from just attacking.

I also desynched through dash-dancing, because I though running back and forth would make my character run faster (it was true for Mario Party. Plus shaking the stick in Mario Kart 64 while drifting gave boosts.) And I didn't want to skid because the Ice Climbers have low traction. (I mained Luigi in N64 and had that problem.) And it confused my friend during the N64 era.

As for grabs, I love grabbing. I have a tendency to go overboard with grabbing probably because throws in N64 could kill. But I also learned from a Lv. 9 Ice Climber that Nana could attack while Popo was holding the opponent. I would usually just up-tilt for multi-hits at low percents, and smash at higher percents. I also found out about wobbling and block locking through down throw to meteor smash, and thought it was cheap to use against another person.

And like almost anyone else, people who didn't face me before hand told me that the Ice Climbers were the worst in the game and that I was a pansy (I was one of the strongest people in my school, and I had a full grown beard in 7th grade. Think about how that looks.)
But proving people wrong is always fun. They fear me now ;).

Later on that year, when I faced my friends, they would always be happy when they took out Nana. But I would still beat them. And when they went for me, they would still end up killing Nana first. That was because I would block on reaction, and Nana would end up running into the attack, or I would block and she wouldn't have her shield up in time.

And now I've gone from causal player in Smash to competitive wanna-be (I was a competitive Mario Kart 64 player back then.) I still use the Ice Climbers because my friends said they got better in Brawl. I don't necessarily agree with them, but I am still pretty good with them.

EDIT: I doubt anyone's going to read all of this.

iceclimbersinfinent

Smash Apprentice
The way I started with the Ice Climbers was pretty interesting I think.

Around the time Melee came out, I was the N64 smash player in my town. I could play with anyone pretty well and knew a lot of things about the game. It was and still is my favorite game :).

When one of my friends finally unlocked everything, he decided to have a tournament with people from my school. This was about 2 months after the release of Melee and I didn't play it much because I didn't have my own copy. (My mom was strict about the game ratings, and freaked out when she saw the ray gun shock people on the N64 version. She threw my N64 game out so I didn't have that either. :( I was in the 6th grade back then.)

25 Characters were a bit overwhelming for me at the time and I didn't know who to use. I agreed on not using any N64 characters, so it made choosing difficult. I knew Game and Watch well enough but I didn't feel like using a character that no one else knew about, because I didn't think it was fair. Game and Watch games were my introduction to video games.

So I decided to use a character that none of us knew about, the Ice Climbers. And they only stage we played on was Mushroom Kingdom because we were noobs back then.

Everytime I started a match, I would end up grabbing the edge, and Nana would die. I didn't look at the match any different, because I didn't know any better, and I was able to defeat everyone I faced. In that match I figured out the side b recovery with them. I used that attack and saw that he spun around. I figured that if he spun like that, I could rise off the ground like I did with Mario and Luigi's tornado in the N64 version. Especially since I died using Up-b Solo.

A year passed since then and I finally had my own copy of Melee. My goal in that game was like any other game I owned, to unlock everything I could without cheating, and beat the game, because I only had one controller for a really long time. And my parents wouldn't let me go to my friends house that often. As soon as I started playing it, I tried the Ice Climbers out in Adventure mode on Normal. When I got to Mario and Peach, I beat them without taking any damage. And I still had Nana. I destroyed them because everytime I did an attack, Nana lagged, and would either do the same attack afterwards or do another attack in the same direction. I never knew it was called "desynching" nor did know that it was an advanced technique until last year. I also didn't think it was all that hard. I never tried to learn the wavedash because I thought and still think it was a discovered glitch. It would happen either from sidestepping an attack or from just attacking.

I also desynched through dash-dancing, because I though running back and forth would make my character run faster (it was true for Mario Party. Plus shaking the stick in Mario Kart 64 while drifting gave boosts.) And I didn't want to skid because the Ice Climbers have low traction. (I mained Luigi in N64 and had that problem.) And it confused my friend during the N64 era.

As for grabs, I love grabbing. I have a tendency to go overboard with grabbing probably because throws in N64 could kill. But I also learned from a Lv. 9 Ice Climber that Nana could attack while Popo was holding the opponent. I would usually just up-tilt for multi-hits at low percents, and smash at higher percents. I also found out about wobbling and block locking through down throw to meteor smash, and thought it was cheap to use against another person.

And like almost anyone else, people who didn't face me before hand told me that the Ice Climbers were the worst in the game and that I was a pansy (I was one of the strongest people in my school, and I had a full grown beard in 7th grade. Think about how that looks.)
But proving people wrong is always fun. They fear me now ;).

Later on that year, when I faced my friends, they would always be happy when they took out Nana. But I would still beat them. And when they went for me, they would still end up killing Nana first. That was because I would block on reaction, and Nana would end up running into the attack, or I would block and she wouldn't have her shield up in time.

And now I've gone from causal player in Smash to competitive wanna-be (I was a competitive Mario Kart 64 player back then.) I still use the Ice Climbers because my friends said they got better in Brawl. I don't necessarily agree with them, but I am still pretty good with them.

EDIT: I doubt anyone's going to read all of this.
i read all of it

and you basically started using them from referring to other games and characters from 64?, i say you are one lucky man

l3lue2ain

Smash Journeyman
Lol this is so funny to me. Sheik i don't think any race in particular played it more it was my experience that a variety of people played her and and alot "thought they were good". LOL as for the peach thing that one i find so funny because I saw something like that at this melee tournament I went to back in the day. It brought back some happy memories. Peach gets owned by waveshine and marth's tip. That was just funny. But anyway I tried maining IC because of the chain grabs, Ice locking and versatility also I loved millers IC.

Aznpkilla

Smash Cadet
I picked them because because way back I used them in melee just for fun, apparently I was quite good with them. Then in Brawl I was looking at the new character incarnations and was pretty disappointed with all of them except Marth, and then I played IC. I just found them to be a lot of fun. Then I did the 40% downsmash and I was pretty sold. :p

Love Chaingrabs, Love the Variety, Love Ice Climbers.

Also, I love it when my friends say "The Ice Climbers were supposed to be crappy! Nobody could play them and then you come along..."

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
I mained them cause they **** others... and they're kinda underused IMO so i thought i would give it a try and they just own when I first picked them up. Chaingrabs rock too and my friend get pissed when I spike them down the side of Final Destination =P Desync makes them loveable to the max! xD

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
Oddly enough, I couldn't stand them in Melee. For some reason, I like the changes they recieved in Brawl. I decided to make them one of my mains based on the changes and how I wanted to use at least one technically challenging character. Also, I like the concept of boyfriend/girlfriend fighting together and depending on each other to survive. It reminds me of Pazu and Sheeta from Hayao Miyazaki's "Laputa: Castle in the Sky." :laugh:
Sorry, for spam, but Hayao Miyazaki FTW! I've watched Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, and Howl's Moving Castle. The music is my hawt hawt smex.

...Neways, after watching Chudat, I realized that the Ice Climbers have a steep learning curve, and that in itself inspiried me to play them.

Top Bottom