• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How come????

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Why don't I see any cape **** done in teams? It's clearly broken in a team with good chemistry...

Is it just THAT hard to pull off in a real match? Seems like it can be set-up just as easily as grab -> upB for a Luigi team.

Calebyte

Smash Lord
It's because no one plays Mario, especially not in doubles. Doubles play is one of the least explored parts of marios metagame, IMO.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
I prefer Mario in doubles, and Fox in singles. Anywho, doubles tends to be too hectic to do 2v1 combos, until the very end when it IS 2v1. If it's friendlies, I'd mess around and try to do sexy looking stuff. However, in tourney, I'd rather do something nice and simple, such as grab grab grab -> Mario bthrow -> Partner's whatever awesome killing move. A lot more simple, less room for errors, more room for winning :]

But like I said, in doubles, you'd see me attempting a bunch of crazy fun stuff xD

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Do we already know what stuff works best?

I get the feeling that Squirtle's Dthrow would work amazingly well.

Matt07

Smash Master
I mean it is worth it, but it's only realistic in a 2v1 position. If you get a grab off, and have the time to do it go for it, but try not to be too predictable with it.

Again it depends a lot on chemistry, and who your teammates character is. I do feel it is a bit unexplored, but I'm not so fond of doubles, so.

Jigglypuff's u-throw would seem to work really well, it has pretty decent knockback at low percents.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Honestly I think it's only a question of team chemistry. When I watch UTD Zac team up with whoever he teams with, one of the things that makes him so good in teams is how he observes his partner for opportunities to land free Smashes/Judgement.

The main reason you don't see Cape ***** in doubles is simply because we haven't really established any teams featuring a Mario that's in synch with their partner.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
What move would work well with Pikachu?
Cape them near the end of the Dsmash. I do wonder what will happen if they SDI out though... It would be funny if you could cape **** them off the side if they try to SDI it.

That being said, FLUDD is equally unexplored in teams, and is Godlike with Lucario as a teammate.
FLUDD + Fsmash = fullstage advancing ****, OR eternal hitbox, great for punishing landings and spotdodges.
FLUDD + Dair = Most ******** mindgame of a move. It stalls the first hit a bit, making it punish spotdodges, and more importantly then pushes him before the second hit comes out. This one actually works better when playing *against* a Lucario, but can be made useful with one as a teammate too.
FLUDD + Aura Spheres: Lucario follows his aura sphere, allowing him to combo out of it.
FLUDD + Fthrow = Free Lucario Usmash, and maybe (I haven't pulled this off, but sounds theoretically doable) with a half charged FLUDD, Fthrow>FLUDD>Lucario Dair>Cape ****.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
By the way, speaking of Fludd...

Everybody knows that Fludd kills knockback right? That alone can make Mario broken in teams.

Dude, is mario THAT unexplored in teams?? That definitely going to be one of my 2011 goals for Mario...making his brokenness in teams known.

I just need a static partner, like a PT, Jiggz or Kirby or sumtin. I already know it's stupid easy to do with ZSS and her Dsmash.

Oh yeah, the other day I was gonna try something with a Sonic player. Cape someone as they bounce off of his spring since, as I recall, only sonic has the invincibility on start-up. If it amplifies the distance as much as it should, it could end up killing floaty characters at 0% or something.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I figured it might work since you can cape Wario during his waft and star KO him. I plan on trying it out either way.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Using fludd's induced hitlag is a good set up for your partner.

I used to play around with a ROB every now and then, and he would be able to do double bair/dair with fludd, was pretty sexy.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Yeah, both waterboxes and windboxes kill knockback. FLUDD can be used for some nasty early gimps because of this too, although it can be a bit tricky.

Also kind of basic, but FLUDDing opponents randomly is much more useful in teams. I've actually won a few friendly team matches by letting a Lucario 2v1 while spamming FLUDD to disrupt spacing and make Lucario broken. By messing up their spacing, I mean keep FLUDDing them as they attack/move around. Either they don't hit anyone, and all you did was waste a FLUDD and reset the position, they accidentally hit/get hit by their partner, they get FIHL which your teammate can punish, or make them get in the way of each other, hindering their general strategy. This is doubly effective if one of your opponents is Snake.

In case you couldn't tell, I LOVE FLUDD in teams. Sadly since my main teammate is a TL, I rarely ever go Mario in teams outside of friendlies, since Kirby is so much better for that team.

It also allows double ganon to do the most epic team combo ever: Utilt>Utilt>repeat x10. Now I know that team is **** and the setup is hard as hell, but come on, that's just awesome.

Calebyte

Smash Lord
1. Hi Monk! Long time, no see!

2. Is there such an abundance of active offline Marios that my statement was that shocking? I can prolly count on one hand the number of Marios who attend a tournament on a monthly basis, and even less for those who do doubles.

Calebyte

Smash Lord
Yeah, understandable. I actually did enter doubles at my last tournament and it was hella fun, though I didn't do well. I'll probably enter more in the future tho.

UberMario

Smash Master
Mario is way better in singles than in doubles, it doesn't take much to interrupt his recovery with two players hammering on him . . . . . . so, due to the lack of team rep, cape **** isn't going to be seen that often.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Why team with a bad character unless your opponents are bad? One of the few times me and Bo made double Mario work was when we were fighting double Links.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Mario is way better in singles than in doubles, it doesn't take much to interrupt his recovery with two players hammering on him . . . . . . so, due to the lack of team rep, cape **** isn't going to be seen that often.
I COMPLETELY disagree with that statement.
Mario is just too good of a support character. Sadly, support is nice and all, but when there's no one to compliment his strengths, they become burdens.

Flameleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valthiel_Malus
-I'm usually a beast whenever it comes to doubles, mostly because i have the best D3 as a partner and i can tell u guys than this team is pretty good, D3-Mario can overcome almost any type of team. Usually Mario needs big chars or so called "tanks" as partners, since he excells at supporting people but some variations can work too...my favourite teammates would be: Jiggz(to cape **** and total freedom for Mario), Luigi(basic teamwork), Bowser(i think that it can work pretty good), Samus(camping as a master of racking damage) and some big chars can work too but try to avoid small chars as partners, overused Htiers and Peach...they're just bad for Mario...-

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
-I'm usually a beast whenever it comes to doubles, mostly because i have the best D3 as a partner and i can tell u guys than this team is pretty good, D3-Mario can overcome almost any type of team. Usually Mario needs big chars or so called "tanks" as partners, since he excells at supporting people but some variations can work too...my favourite teammates would be: Jiggz(to cape **** and total freedom for Mario), Luigi(basic teamwork), Bowser(i think that it can work pretty good), Samus(camping as a master of racking damage) and some big chars can work too but try to avoid small chars as partners, overused Htiers and Peach...they're just bad for Mario...-
Man....I am the tank in doubles

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I cosign Monk's statement. Mario tanks like a pro in doubles. The main thing you need is a partner who can score KOs easily and benefits from support.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Which reminds me, Mario and Sonic actually excel in really similar roles in teams. Support and tanking. They just accomplish it differently.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
What about a Mario and Sonic Team?
Can someone with a Wii do me a favor and test caping an opponent bouncing off of Sonic's spring?

Do we have like...a compendium of cape **** facts other than Fire's videos?

I also vote for a different name for that tech :glare:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Thrillagorrilla made an informative cape thread long ago, but I don't know how much of it was about cape ****.

Top Bottom