• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can we predict reveals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Marth is the figure head of Fire Emblem, it would make sense for him to be a starter. Toon Link does represent many Zelda games and he's become very popular, it wouldn't be a total shocker. He might want to give the Zelda franchise more of a presence on the starting roster. (Link, Zelda, Toon Link and unlockable Ganondorf)

Luigi is the only iffy one, although he was probably only revealed for the year of Luigi.
Toon Link has been the star of 7 of the last 11 Zelda games. In reality he is the default Link now. It's the other guy who should be feeling nervous.

Staarih

Smash Master
I don't expect a reveal tomorrow, but would be positively surprised if we finally did get someone. I just feel that because April is right behind the corner (and Directs and all), they might want to save reveals until then. But we do still have two days worth of pics this month so there's still the possibility of a reveal tomorrow or Monday for this month...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I will be incredibly frustrated if we don't get anything this month.

Like...why haven't we gotten anything? If they have an April direct and they reveal either a really good newcomer or a few vets or something I'll be satisfied. But I must say I'm a bit disappointed.

That's not to say the information this month has been bad, because I've enjoyed it for the most part. I just look forward to the characters most, and I'd be lying if I said I was okay with not getting a character. I'm getting bored to tears.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
But then Sakurai reveals on a Monday just like what he did with Diddy and the NA release date. :troll:
Then may it be that way. I expect a reveal on Friday and if not, I wouldn't expect any March reveal anymore. But then, it's just me. ;)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Look that's honestly OK by me, April is fast approaching and that'll just get me more hyped for whoever they show then.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Two last chances for a veteran reveal this month. And at this point I can't see us getting more than one this month.

Hopefully next month we'll get a direct. I'm hoping for either a newcomer or Snake then.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
The villains have taken over the Nintendo eShop. The villains featured are Bowser, Ganondorf, Wario, Ridley and Dr. Willy. Basically each villain is just a category of games they're in.

Could that mean something is coming?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The villains have taken over the Nintendo eShop. The villains featured are Bowser, Ganondorf, Wario, Ridley and Dr. Willy. Basically each villain is just a category of games they're in.

Intriguing that Wily is the only non-Nintendo one... and the white giant purple space dragon in the room has to be acknowledged of course.

D

Deleted member

I highly doubt it. That's grasping for straws that this point.

If we don't get anything tomorrow, then I will be greatly disappointed. We can't go a full month without a reveal... especially when there were many opportunities to reveal someone this month.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
No character today as well.

Is Monday going to be THE day of March we're waiting for? Personally, I don't think so.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If we don't get sonething character wise this month, the I think we fans have a right to be a bit peeved.

That is of course, barring we don't get a decent newcomer from the Direct. Or sonething real nice. This wait is bullcrap.

Staarih

Smash Master
Well, I've come to the conclusion of not expecting characters anymore, haha! At least the surprise will be big when/if a character is indeed revealed. Maybe the lack of reveals in March indicates April will be the bomb.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

April must have something big for us because this wait is absolutely ridiculous.
Then again... if it's the fabled "Trailer 2," why show that off in a Direct and not at E3?

Last edited by a moderator:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I'm not really sure what to expect now. The general idea being thrown around is we'll get something extra special next month. But with E3 on the horizon, I don't see a whole lot going on in terms a newcomer stuff and whatnot.

And remember, there's still Monday for a reveal, and Lucario was also revealed on the last day of a month. Granted nobody has been shown on a Monday yet iirc, but hey, there's a first time for everything.

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
When erveryone was expecting 2 character per month, Sakurai says "no character mother****** !"
It's a bad marketing move, they have to keep the hype about the game. I don't feel like checking the daily pictures anymore because of that...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Yeah this is what I mean. People argued to me that other updates can keep people satisfied. Nothing contributes more to hype than a character.

In this case it seems like the lack of a character is incredibly bad for hype. Who knew?

Because of this, I will expect nice things from this next Direct. However, if there isn't anything good, then that will make it even worse.

D

Deleted member

Yeah this is what I mean. People argued to me that other updates can keep people satisfied. Nothing contributes more to hype than a character.

In this case it seems like the lack of a character is incredibly bad for hype. Who knew?

Because of this, I will expect nice things from this next Direct. However, if there isn't anything good, then that will make it even worse.
The updates are nice and definitely informative. However, character reveals keep the hype and momentum going. With only one day left and seemingly no character has been shown, it has died down the hype.

From what I've noticed with Nintendo, they give hype to their games via their Nintendo Directs. When they're all over and time moves on... the hype kinda dies down. They really need to keep hype going for several months so that people can stay interested. Without a character in sight at all, it's kinda making people lose some interest and it gets re-ignited when specific events occur (Kojima interview and Palutena leak).

It's at this point that I am now expecting a new trailer that reveals a crapton of veterans and a newcomer next month. That's... pretty bad if you ask me. (if we only get a newcomer, I'll be fine as long as it's someone that I want)

Last edited by a moderator:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I'm still expecting that Ridley will be shown as a stage hazard and then later shown as a playable character. When is a better time to do this then in April? Show him on the 1st as a joke and reveal him later in April in a Direct (he would either be both stage hazard and character, or a character made to look like one in the update). Seems like April would be the best time for that, however unlikely.

But I agree that no character is kind of a drag. I liked today's update and I would love to see more like it (possibly with a Wii U Stage next time). But a random character reveal would have been nice, even if it was someone we all know will be in the game like Captain Falcon, it would have been nice to see.

Maybe Sakurai just forgot to update a character this month.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I can understand the frustration going on among the community, but at the same time I can't help but feel people are getting a little too impatient (to put it nicely).

In fact, this reminds me of a phenomenon that happens over at NintendoLife that some have dubbed "Direct withdrawal" where everyone starts going crazy over the lack of a Direct after a long amount of time.

My point is, let's try not to get too worked up about the absence of character announcements. I'm sure one will appear sooner rather then later by this point.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
My head is saying ridley is going to be revealed in April

I'm going to be not amused if he does it on April fools day as a hazard and then make us wait till the direct

(I just hope for no joke at all)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I can understand the frustration going on among the community, but at the same time I can't help but feel people are getting a little too impatient (to put it nicely).

In fact, this reminds me of a phenomenon that happens over at NintendoLife that some have dubbed "Direct withdrawal" where everyone starts going crazy over the lack of a Direct after a long amount of time.

My point is, let's try not to get too worked up about the absence of character announcements. I'm sure one will appear sooner rather then later by this point.
The problem is that we've gotten at least one a month, and then sudenly we just get cut off.

For all we know though, we might get a big trailer soon as others have said. Give us a few vets and a newcomer or two. That would fix any hype issues for sure.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Hate to be the person to say this, but I feel like a lot of people here are beginning to act a little bit entitled and ungrateful.

First of all, the pictures of this month have been particularly informative. Months ago we were getting random pictures of cute things, like "oh look, WFT is running and Mega Man is standing there LOL"
Every single picture we're getting now is informative. Sakurai is even going out of his way to show series of pictures now, like he decided he wants to give us more than one snapshot and is instead as informative as possible. He's clearly working more on the pictures than before, and it's all because he wants to keep the fans up to date.

Given all of this, I find it extremely ungrateful that people complain about no character in March. Seriously? Who told us that we get characters monthly? It's all assumptions we've made, and while there is a justification for being disappointed by the patterns we detected not existing, we have no right to be peeved, pissed or to claim that they're messing up, decreasing hype for the game, not marketing it enough, etc etc.

Seriously, after Rosalina people were all "oh, next newcomer is definitely in E3" and now every week there's someone expecting a character, some people even expecting newcomers. Guys, we're not entitled to character reveals when WE want them or expect them. When the team is ready to show them, they will, and I'm sure that hype will be fine whether we get a character now or until E3. Ffs, it's Smash, even with pictures of Luigi's nose the people that care will still be waiting until 3am for the PotD. No character in March is something that only the hardcore Smash players seem to resent and to be honest, most of these people are buying the game already without a doubt.

also, wrong sub-forum and all but dang it guys, Smash is more than just the characters.

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Hate to be the person to say this, but I feel like a lot of people here are beginning to act a little bit entitled and ungrateful.

First of all, the pictures of this month have been particularly informative. Months ago we were getting random pictures of cute things, like "oh look, WFT is running and Mega Man is standing there LOL"
Every single picture we're getting now is informative. Sakurai is even going out of his way to show series of pictures now, like he decided he wants to give us more than one snapshot and is instead as informative as possible. He's clearly working more on the pictures than before, and it's all because he wants to keep the fans up to date.

Given all of this, I find it extremely ungrateful that people complain about no character in March. Seriously? Who told us that we get characters monthly? It's all assumptions we've made, and while there is a justification for being disappointed by the patterns we detected not existing, we have no right to be peeved, pissed or to claim that they're messing up, decreasing hype for the game, not marketing it enough, etc etc.

Seriously, after Rosalina people were all "oh, next newcomer is definitely in E3" and now every week there's someone expecting a character, some people even expecting newcomers. Guys, we're not entitled to character reveals when WE want them or expect them. When the team is ready to show them, they will, and I'm sure that hype will be fine whether we get a character now or until E3. Ffs, it's Smash, even with pictures of Luigi's nose the people that care will still be waiting until 3am for the PotD. No character in March is something that only the hardcore Smash players seem to resent and to be honest, most of these people are buying the game already without a doubt.

also, wrong sub-forum and all but dang it guys, Smash is more than just the characters.
This isn't even the longest we've gone without a character reveal.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Yoshi, Wario, Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, Ice Climbers, Metaknight, Pokemon Trainer, Ike, and Lucas were all default in Brawl but haven't been shown off yet. If the game is infact coming out this year, we only have a maximum of 9 months since March is basically over. 9 months for 9 characters. But at a point, we need to know the unlockables. Okay then, well, Ganondorf, R.O.B., Falco, Wolf, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Ness, and Mr. Game & Watch (i'm not counting Snake because 3rd party. I wouldn't have counted Sonic either but he's in) aren't confirmed yet. 8 characters. 17 characters total haven't been confirmed. Sure, there may be cuts, but this number is too high to not have a veteran reveal for March. Either Sakurai's going to do another big trailer at E3 showing a bunch of them off or he's going to have to start doing them like once a week. Even one character a week would bring us to the last week in July, and that's excluding newcomers. He's got to start picking up the pace. As you can tell, this month killed me...

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I don't think we're being ungrateful, most of us seem to have acknowledged that the updates we've been getting are good. Just, a character update is the best. I think part of our "outrage" over this is just because we finally thought we understood what Sakurai was doing and he proved us wrong yet again.

And I don't think this killing hype, for the crazed, obsessed fans like us this lack of a character update is generating more hype. It's made us come up with theories like a Direct at the end of March and a new trailer with several characters. If coming up with desperate reasons for a character be revealed isn't hype, I don't what is.

For the normal fan, this lack of a reveal doesn't mean much because they probably only care about newcomers and their reveals are rare already.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I'm in agreement with @ Glaciacott Glaciacott in that some of the fans are overreacting. The simple fact is that the production team knows what it's doing. Am I disappointed, like most, that we've not gotten a new character in the past month? Of course I am (especially since it was my b-day this month...). However, that's because we were spoiled by the recent influx of characters. Almost all of this month's PotDs have been extremely informative with a slew of new info in the form of items, stages, trophies, and assists. It is too much to ask that we be grateful for what we're getting instead of grumbling about what we're not?

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, I initially posted this the the official character discussion thread, but I figured it would be good for discussion here as we'll.

Seeing as how we did not get a character reveal today (rather unfortunate, but at least us Pokemon fans got a special treat), which of these scenarios seem more likely at this point?

1.) We get a random character reveal on the last day of the month.

2.) We don't get a character reveal this month at all, but instead get something larger than usual in April. Something along the lines of a special Direct reveal, perhaps.

3.) We don't get anything March and only get typical reveals, such as a standard Direct reveal, in April.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Why is it that anytime someone expresses any sort of disappointment over an update, even if they acknowledge it is informative and useful, there is always some high-horse rider to suddenly declare these people are "entitled" and "ungrateful"? For simply expressing disappointment? It is one matter to complain incessantly beyond justification, such as loudly screaming, "I want two newcomers and a veteran for this month because I say so!", but it is another matter to just simply contemplate, "This has been a very enjoyable month, I just wish there was also a character, though. Oh well."

While I am disappointed there may not be a character reveal this month, it does not make me (or others, like Scoliosis Jones) unappreciative of the development's team dedicated efforts into producing a high-quality product, especially given how March is one of the most edifying months in terms of revealing information concerning stages, items, changes to character's move-sets, and the like. In fact, I will say it is among my personal favorites.

Well, I am not demanding the development team to spill all the secrets of the roster so carelessly, or that they should do everything as I say - Sakurai can do as he likes with the Pictures of the Day, because we will all buy the game regardless of his collective approach. Rather, I am just slightly dismayed at a lack of a character reveal, yet fully thankful for these instructive updates nonetheless. Simply desiring a character reveal, without forcefully demanding Sakurai to do so, does not make me unpleasantly thankless.

This black-and-white thinking is just repulsively sanctimonious at this point, and I am sick and bored of being told by others to adjust the extent of my excitement levels (which are reasonably humble) to accommodate their own self-righteous standards. I may be restless for a character reveal (which is not a terrible crime, by any means), but I have been perfectly content with this month, mind you, more than others even.

Aspiring a character announcement sooner instead of later is not the same as commanding Sakurai how to perform his job, nor is it showing disrespect to his life's work, nor is it acting childish. All it is is aspiring for a character announcement. Nothing more, and nothing less.

Last edited:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Why is it that anytime someone expresses any sort of disappointment over an update, even if they acknowledge it is informative and useful, there is always some high-horse rider to suddenly declare these people are "entitled" and "ungrateful"? For simply expressing disappointment? It is one matter to complain incessantly beyond justification, such as loudly screaming, "I want two newcomers and a veteran for this month because I say so!", but it is another matter to just simply contemplate, "This has been a very enjoyable month, I just wish there was also a character, though. Oh well."
While I am disappointed there may not be a character reveal this month, it does not make me (or others, like Scoliosis Jones) unappreciative of the development's team dedicated efforts into producing a high-quality product, especially given how March is one of the most edifying months in terms of revealing information concerning stages, items, changes to character's move-sets, and the like. In fact, I will say it is among my personal favorites.

Well, I am not demanding the development team to spill all the secrets of the roster so carelessly, or that they should do everything as I say - Sakurai can do as he likes with the Pictures of the Day, because we will all buy the game regardless of his collective approach. Rather, I am just slightly dismayed at a lack of a character reveal, but fully thankful for these instructive updates nonetheless. Simply desiring a character reveal, without forcefully demanding Sakurai to do so, does not make me unpleasantly thankless.

This black-and-white thinking is just repulsively sanctimonious at this point, and I am sick and bored of being told by others to adjust the extent of my excitement levels (which are reasonably humble) to accommodate their own self-righteous standards. I may be restless for a character reveal (which is not a terrible crime, by any means), but I have been perfectly content with this month, mind you, more than others even.

Aspiring a character announcement sooner instead of later is not the same as commanding Sakurai how to perform his job, nor is it showing disrespect to his life's work, nor is it acting childish.
For clarity's sake, I for my own part did not intend my comment to be offensive, and certainly not "sanctimonious" or "self-righteous." Obviously, my comments (which I thought were reasonably polite) were directed at those who are unloading angrily about the updates instead of being merely disappointed and cannot generate any sense of appreciation for the wealth of new information we have been granted. As I said, I've been disappointed like most about the lack of a character reveal. Personally, I would much prefer that the information be meted out in a much more even fashion.

My own theory is that we're going to start seeing a loose alternating pattern. The past several months have been focused on character reveals, and this past month has put a cease on that to give us some stages and items (I believe to catch up). I think we'll continue to get very few character reveals for the next two months (if there's a direct, then a newcomer, and maybe a veteran or two) before we get a new trailer (or 2/3) at E3. Also, with all the other info we've been getting, I would love to get some updates that somehow featured music (but that's not suited for the character forum, is it?).

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Well, I am not demanding the development team to spill all the secrets of the roster so carelessly, or that they should do everything as I say - Sakurai can do as he likes with the Pictures of the Day, because we will all buy the game regardless of his collective approach. Rather, I am just slightly dismayed at a lack of a character reveal, yet fully thankful for these instructive updates nonetheless. Simply desiring a character reveal, without forcefully demanding Sakurai to do so, does not make me unpleasantly thankless.

Aspiring a character announcement sooner instead of later is not the same as commanding Sakurai how to perform his job, nor is it showing disrespect to his life's work, nor is it acting childish. All it is is aspiring for a character announcement. Nothing more, and nothing less.
^^^This guy

I just want a character reveal. There's nothing wrong with that.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
My own theory is that we're going to start seeing a loose alternating pattern. The past several months have been focused on character reveals, and this past month has put a cease on that to give us some stages and items (I believe to catch up). I think we'll continue to get very few character reveals for the next two months (if there's a direct, then a newcomer, and maybe a veteran or two) before we get a new trailer (or 2/3) at E3. Also, with all the other info we've been getting, I would love to get some updates that somehow featured music (but that's not suited for the character forum, is it?).
No, I believe you are in correct in your assessment - informational updates on items, stages, and even music may very well play a part in how Sakurai chooses to reveal characters alongside these parts of the whole sum. In fact, it seems to be a reasonable theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom