• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can we predict reveals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Uh, guys...

...do you think that he didn't reveal anyone because he's running out of characters to reveal? :cry:
Planned starters perhaps. I mean, if all the characters we have right now will be starters, minus the 3rd parties, we're sitting solidly on a 22 characters starting roster, that's one more character than the Brawl starting roster. I wouldn't be surprised if he's stalling it out for that reason, if the game comes out towards the end of the year there'd have to be a month where we don't get a reveal in order for us to not reach a 30 character starting roster, especially if they're planning a multi-character reveal at E3.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Looks like GamesRadar actually has a little competent sense for once. And that's being generous.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzk3LFRuYbU
Yes, these are the same idiots who said Marth was gone, but at least this situation is more realistic.
Well, I think I've mentioned this before (somewhere) that the only real reason Sanke wouldn't get into SSB4 is if Sakurai doesn't want him to return. Sakurai and Kojima are supposedly good friends, and thus Sakurai should have no trouble obtaining the rights to Snake. Thus, when Kojima said, "please at Snake to SSB4, Sakurai" in that interview Sakurai just didn't want Snake to return. He was only wanted as a one time 3rd Party character. Though, they're point about Kojima messing with fans is good. That's what I think, honestly. As for the whole issue of standing between the two companies I doubt that matters. Sakurai is the one who chooses the characters for the game ultimately, and just gets suggestions from various companies (like Gamefreak) on who to add. It's not like the higher-ups at Nintendo are dictating character choices based on whether or no Konami gives the Wii U a game, Sakurai's in charge. He's not that petty, especially with a friend's character.

So to sum up, I think the only real reason Snake would get cut is because Sakurai only wanted him as a one time guest. I also think Kojima's recent statement was a joke and Kojima and Sakurai are drinking beers and playing an SSB4 match (Snake V. Kirby) right now while laughing about Kojima's red herring to the press.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Planned starters perhaps. I mean, if all the characters we have right now will be starters, minus the 3rd parties, we're sitting solidly on a 22 characters starting roster, that's one more character than the Brawl starting roster. I wouldn't be surprised if he's stalling it out for that reason, if the game comes out towards the end of the year there'd have to be a month where we don't get a reveal in order for us to not reach a 30 character starting roster, especially if they're planning a multi-character reveal at E3.
Toon link and luigi and possibly marth a starter :confused:

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That's quite possible. The starting and unlockable roster relation always gets shaken up each game. Marth and Luigi are fit as starters as much as Ness and Captain Falcon were in Melee, and Toon Link is fine too imo. I still don't really get why people have a hard time seeing them as starters.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Given that characters have always been a minimum of a week apart, if we're getting two newcomers in March, Monday is our last chance.

Though I wouldn't mind confirming Pokemon Trainer because that'd be like getting three characters.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I've talked it over with people, and it's entirely possible that we get an "end of Japanese fiscal year" Direct. We can get a veteran beforehand sometime next week, and then a newcomer in the Direct.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I've talked it over with people, and it's entirely possible that we get an "end of Japanese fiscal year" Direct. We can get a veteran beforehand sometime next week, and then a newcomer in the Direct.
It's also entirely possible we'll get a "beginning of the Japanese fiscal year" Direct on April 1st. (Fun time to start a new fiscal year). But seriously, we'll get a Direct sometime in April (they seem to come every two months). So we'll probably only have to wait 2-3 weeks for a Newcomer. It seems doubtful that we'll get a Direct in March, but you never know.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
It's also entirely possible we'll get a "beginning of the Japanese fiscal year" Direct on April 1st. (Fun time to start a new fiscal year). But seriously, we'll get a Direct sometime in April (they seem to come every two months). So we'll probably only have to wait 2-3 weeks for a Newcomer. It seems doubtful that we'll get a Direct in March, but you never know.
The problem is: last time they had a direct on April 1st, it was an April Fools Joke

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
That's quite possible. The starting and unlockable roster relation always gets shaken up each game. Marth and Luigi are fit as starters as much as Ness and Captain Falcon were in Melee, and Toon Link is fine too imo. I still don't really get why people have a hard time seeing them as starters.
I know but its a slim chance for the 3 except marth

Luigi has ben unlockable since the begining

And for toon link how can toon link be a starter when that means 2 links as staters

Besides now thoerized by nothing but trolls what if they show mewtwo before the game is release would that mean mewtwo is a starter.

ShichibukaiJimbe

Smash Apprentice
Maybe in the Direct we get a gameplay segment with a veteran in it. In this case, the direct would have both a veteran and a newcomer

Staarih

Smash Master
And for toon link how can toon link be a starter when that means 2 links as staters

Besides now thoerized by nothing but trolls what if they show mewtwo before the game is release would that mean mewtwo is a starter.
Seeing as Toon Link hasn't been de-cloned much, I'd rather have him as a starter than an unlockable character. And I think it fits. Nowadays there seem to be two "styles" of Zelda games (original and "toon"), so I find it fitting to have two Link's to choose from at the very start who represent both of these worlds. But I guess that's just me. I'm still in strong belief that these characters we get before the game release are indeed starters (except for the 3rd parties and some of the newcomers surely, maybe even Luigi given his special Direct reveal), unless they reveal someone who is bound to be unlockable soon, which makes my theory bust haha!

And Mewtwo would be a special case, as I think he would technically be treated as more of a newcomer than returning veteran, so he could be shown beforehand and still be a secret character. But we'll see!

As for character reveal speculation... here's hoping next week will be it. If not, then April better be good.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
And Mewtwo would be a special case, as I think he would technically be treated as more of a newcomer than returning veteran, so he could be shown beforehand and still be a secret character. But we'll see!

As for character reveal speculation... here's hoping next week will be it. If not, then April better be good.
Ok that I can see probably ridley and palutena and pac man would get that case as well a special one just to show off.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
What if we're getting nothing because of a release date trailer with multiple characters coming up soon?
That would be amazing, and that would definitely compensate for the lack of characters lately. I would think they might save something like that for a bigger event like E3, but at the same time there is that fiscal year thing.

So yeah, I'm thinking it's quite possible we'll see something bigger than usual to end this month off.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Unless we randomly get someone tomorrow, I'm legitimately going to keep an eye out for a Direct within next week. Yes, it goes against the supposed pattern of newcomer reveals, but it seems this is no ordinary month.

That, and we all know how Sakurai loves to screw with our expectations. :p

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Unless we randomly get someone tomorrow, I'm legitimately going to keep an eye out for a Direct within next week. Yes, it goes against the supposed pattern of newcomer reveals, but it seems this is no ordinary month.

That, and we all know how Sakurai loves to screw with our expectations. :p
I was more of expecting someone this Friday. They could always just reveal a character at the last minute, sort of like Lucario.

Also Friday's my birthday, so...

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I just don't think we're getting anyone at all this week.
you can't give up on the final week of march already

besides march could get a reveal like marth and lucario

and the 31st is not a out of question date for a character due to lucario being revealed on the last day of january

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Well, it's been a fairly fruitful week so far. We got an item update and a gameplay/mechanic update, so all we need is stage update, an attack update and a character update and we'll have a full week. I thin we could at least be heading towards a character update or, at the very least, a worthwhile week of updates.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
The lack of a character update must be getting to me. I keep having dreams of waking up in the morning to see someone new (including unconfirmed veterans). Last night was Mr. Game & Watch.

But of course every real morning so far has come up empty in that department.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm 100% confident we're getting a reveal this week.

If we don't, then in my opinion, we've got a reason to be upset. I mean, my hype dwindles a little bit, and then gets revived with every update, but it's not fun waiting close to 40 days for a new character reveal.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I keep dreaming that Wario was revealed.
One time I dreamed that Viridi was confirmed to be a playable character.

So, is there any character they could randomly reveal that stands out more than others in terms of likelihood? Anything at all that could lean in favor of one character over the others?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

So, is there any character they could randomly reveal that stands out more than others in terms of likelihood? Anything at all that could lean in favor of one character over the others?
This one time I had a dream that John Proctor was playable. Funny how that would work, eh?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Well, we can probably rule out Yoshi as he has a game coming out he can be used for, same for potentially Sheik/Ganondorf depending on Hyrule Warriors' release along with Mr. Game and Watch/Ice Climbers for NES Remix 2's release. After that, it's anyone's guess.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Marth is the figure head of Fire Emblem, it would make sense for him to be a starter. Toon Link does represent many Zelda games and he's become very popular, it wouldn't be a total shocker. He might want to give the Zelda franchise more of a presence on the starting roster. (Link, Zelda, Toon Link and unlockable Ganondorf)

Luigi is the only iffy one, although he was probably only revealed for the year of Luigi.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well tomorrow or friday and Monday is the last chance for a character for march if no character I'm commence that the next character might be a newcomer that will bring hypehype

Staarih

Smash Master
Only three days worth of pics this month and then it's April which is bound to give us something, so it's not that bad really! Hopefully something sooner than later though, surely.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Only three days worth of pics this month and then it's April which is bound to give us something, so it's not that bad really! Hopefully something sooner than later though, surely.
If there's a direct in April thats worldwide its a no brainer newcomer 6 or mewtwo might be revealed

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Did anyone see the new Sonic Lost World Zelda-theme trailer? Link, Gorons, and a few other characters are there, but do you know who's missing? Zelda. Or more specifically, Sheik. Where is she? Waiting to be revealed tomorrow! ;)

:sheik:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom