• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can we predict reveals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm hoping it isn't a Donkey Kong related reveal. Mainly for the surprise factor but also because there would be a bloodbath of deconfirmed "leaks".

Here's to a troll DK trailer that ends with Donkey Kong arm wrestling Isaac's hand psyenergy.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Diddy: Today's the day that I finally enter the spotlight! Huh, you're saying that I haven't been confirmed yet? False alarm then. -_-

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Well, Diddy isn't in the Pic of the Day, which could mean a lot of things.

First, it could mean that there will be a Diddy & Dixie team announcement in the direct today.
Or, it could mean there is just a K. Rool announcement and Diddy is just in the trailer.

Either way, Diddy WILL be in the Direct today in some form

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't see K.Rool getting revealed in here. I think it's just Diddy, or DIddy and Dixie as a tag team.

Or some other newcomer, which could be a hodge podge because of the other content being shown in the Direct. That could give us Little Mac (doubtful) Palutena (because hype and leak), Shulk (because "X"). There are plenty of possibilities, but a Donkey Kong reveal is the best bet at this point.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Diddy is too obvious guys.. haven't we learned Sakurai by this point? It's like how we didn't get anyone on Pokemon X & Y release.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Do you guys think that revealing the so-called "Leaky 3" at E3 would be a hype-killer?
Little Mac is the only one of the three that has any sort of real following.
In the veteran Nintendo community, yes. But as far as the entire target audience is concerned, Little Mac doesn't have a following as much as, say, Villager. He's obscure now.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
...No Dixie? ...No DK at all?

I'm shocked.

But it's not over yet...

Last edited:

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
To be fair some people were predicting Little Mac due to Punch Out's 30th anniversary this month and Next Level Game's twit about the Direct.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
In the veteran Nintendo community, yes. But as far as the entire target audience is concerned, Little Mac doesn't have a following as much as, say, Villager. He's obscure now.
You were saying? :awesome:

this literally could not have worked out more perfectly

Last edited:

Arteen

Smash Lord
Little Mac was a pleasant surprise. I still expect Diddy will be the next veteran though. We'll probably see him by the end of the month, or early March. Then Yoshi will be revealed after that.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
What I learned about today's Direct:
  • Anniversaries still hold relevance (30th Punch Out Anniversary)
  • Companies that have to do with specific characters will tweet before the Direct (Next Level Games)
  • The eShop is full of sports and RPGs

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
no that's not what i'm mad about

i'm mad that i'm right
Oh okay. lol

That said, I still stand by the opinion/fact that Little Mac was the only obvious newcomer. I fully expect reveals to start getting more hectic (if WFT and Rosalina weren't already).

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
Well.... not exactly Diddy Kong, BUT Little Mac could be argued to be a Donkey Kong character, just not a Donkey Kong Country character. Take that as you will.

Graydient

Smash Cadet
Tropical Freeze is still being released outside Japan next week, so Diddy Kong (a veteran everyone is expecting) can be announced next week, just like with Zelda and Rosalina. Another thing to consider is Yoshi's New Island having a non-JP release date first, which may coincide with Yoshi's reveal.

An interesting thing to point out is the introduction of newcomers using somewhat unrelated veterans (excluding E3 newcomers of course). It started with Rosalina and Kirby, and continues with Little Mac and Samus (surprisingly not DK).

I'm wondering if a newcomer will coincide with every Nintendo direct now.

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Well.... not exactly Diddy Kong, BUT Little Mac could be argued to be a Donkey Kong character, just not a Donkey Kong Country character. Take that as you will.
That should be reversed. Donkey Kong could be argued to be a Punch-Out character, but Little Mac cannot be counted as a Donkey Kong character.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I love how Nintendo proved you wrong literally 15 minutes after you wrote that ignorant post.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm not even sure how I should update the first post...

Is there a point?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Directs may be goldmines.

That's really all we have at this point. Time will tell if release dates are still important for character confirmations.

For all we know, Nintendo Directs may out-prioritize release dates for Smash info.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I just don't understand why people were expecting Diddy Kong of all characters, they wouldn't waste a Nintendo direct to announce a veteran as they can do that any time of the day.
Well... to be fair, they did announce not one but two veterans via Nintendo Directs (Luigi on August, Sonic on October)... and some of us speculated that Diddy Kong might be shown in a Nintendo Direct video that confirms a newcomer as his tag team partner (Dixie Kong) to coincide with the Japanese release of Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. We weren't just making up as we go along... we looked into Sakurai's and Nintendo Direct's past histories to speculate what the future is probably going to be.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I just don't understand why people were expecting Diddy Kong of all characters, they wouldn't waste a Nintendo direct to announce a veteran as they can do that any time of the day.
The idea was that Diddy would be revealed on the Miiverse update, then a Diddy-Dixie and/or K Rool reveal in the Direct - after all, today is the Japanese release of Tropical Freeze, so a DK-themed Smash update would be a no-brainer.

When the Miiverse update showed off a retooled Peach move, it was then perceived that both Diddy and Dixie would be revealed in the Direct as a tag-team (the originally intended set up for Brawl, until Dixie had to be cut).

Alas, none of this panned out, given Little Mac's reveal.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Why are people talking like we didn't predict this? There's been a lot of people expecting a direct or announcement all week, and since the Direct was announced the Smash newcomer hype has been through the roof.

It just became an issue of most fans expecting different character with most people centering on Diddy/Dixie or K. Rool, but even then there were some people focusing on Little Mac. Compared, at least, to Rosalina and WFT who caught A LOT of people completely off-guard since they came out of nowhere.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Well... to be fair, they did announce not one but two veterans via Nintendo Directs (Luigi on August, Sonic on October)... and some of us speculated that Diddy Kong might be shown in a Nintendo Direct video that confirms a newcomer as his tag team partner (Dixie Kong) to coincide with the Japanese release of Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. We weren't just making up as we go along... we looked into Sakurai's and Nintendo Direct's past histories to speculate what the future is probably going to be.
My post was geared towards Diddy Kong revealed solo, as I feel this would not have been the most optimal way to hype the first Direct of 2014, which was supposedly to be bigger than the one at E3, Smash, or DKCTF since he's already such a safe character.

While I was personally looking forward to King K. Rool or perhaps a Diddy/Dixie duo being announced alongside Tropical Freeze's release in Japan I fail to see the reasoning as to why some people believe Diddy Kong (As a solo character) would've been the 'best' reveal for today's direct when other potential candidates like a duo or King K. Rool would've been much more suitable.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Those people who believe that a solo Diddy Kong would be the best for today's reveal are usually the ones who don't want Dixie Kong tagging with Diddy Kong and/or they want King K. Rool to get in over Dixie Kong.

Also, in my opinion, I don't think it makes sense to confirm King K. Rool today to promote Tropical Freeze if he isn't even in that game.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
So not only did Little Mac catch us off guard a bit, there's absolutely no sign of Diddy in correlation to the release of Tropical Freeze, making predictions difficult yet again haha! I guess some could say that Little Mac was expected with Punch-Outs anniversary being this month (apparently), and surely Direct's and whatnot always mix things up, but I still think his reveal was pretty random (sooo hyped to have him in though!).

I wonder when we'll get Diddy then? Maybe they'll start acknowledging other release dates than the Japanese ones, in which case Diddy could be revealed next week and Yoshi in March.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom