• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can we predict reveals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TORNADO BUS DRIVER

Smash Lord
This is actually pretty interesting.

If this is true, what is the significance of the colors blue & green.
I think this topic may be deserving of its own thread.
But I am not sure if it breaks the rules or not.

I'm going to do some research on what the colors may mean.

As for a "blue" character being next, Fire Emblem's anniversary is either in March, April, it May.
Chrom/Lucin/Chrom & Lucina anyone?
Eh I would prefer some one else.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Man, Chrom's reveal would be a massive base breaker.

Like this fanbase needs another thing to complain about.
Actually, it seems that the main reason people hate Chrom is due to the possibility that he will be a Marth or Ike clone.
If Sakurai makes Chrom unique, or makes him different via Ice Climbers-like team, I have a feeling most people will be fine with it.
Except for the stubborn people that hate Chrom as a character overall. They will still be mad.

TORNADO BUS DRIVER

Smash Lord
Actually, it seems that the main reason people hate Chrom is due to the possibility that he will be a Marth or Ike clone.
If Sakurai makes Chrom unique, or makes him different via Ice Climbers-like team, I have a feeling most people will be fine with it.
Except for the stubborn people that hate Chrom as a character overall. They will still be mad.
i don't mind him ..

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Man, Chrom's reveal would be a massive base breaker.

Like this fanbase needs another thing to complain about.
This is is what I mean guys. It's all about Takamaru vs. Chrom in terms of who is more worthy for the Direct reveal. Two Swordsmen, One Difference. Many of the Gamefaqs guys are placing their bets on Crumb, while Sakurai may be the unpredictable ****** he is and ditch FE's anniversary for a Famicom related anniversary instead. :troll:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
This is is what I mean guys. It's all about Takamaru vs. Chrom in terms of who is more worthy for the Direct reveal. Two Swordsmen, One Difference. Many of the Gamefaqs guys are placing their bets on Crumb, while Sakurai may be the unpredictable ****er he is and ditch FE's anniversary for a Famicom related anniversary instead. :troll:
It's Corn!

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I remember when people would complain about Rosalina because she would obviously just be a Peach clone.

People hating on Chrom for that same reason is absurd. Yes, there's more interesting characters from FE from a gameplay perspective(Robin), but in the very likely scenario Chrom makes it in instead, it's silly and unfounded to assume he'd just be a clone swordsman

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Since this thread seems like the best place to post this, I'll go ahead. (If this long post is too off-topic however, somebody point me to a more fitting topic. Or if you think it's worthy enough of being its own thread...)

I usually much prefer speaking about things as objectively as I can or being as logical about stuff as possible (with the help of some good ol' intuition), so this is a bit different from my usual postings (and will also require some good ol' intuition). I already posted most of this on the Ridley thread, but here goes...

Somebody out there said that we tend to put too much stock in what Sakurai says and not enough into what Sakurai does. And now I'm inclined to agree. Sakurai likes to play around with us, no doubt. But has he been having his fun with the Daily Pics? We do like say "Oh Sakurai you troll" quite casually. With the reveal of Little Mac as well as a certain other detail, I think we've missed or at least have not given enough attention to some key things.

For now I'm going to call the following examples "Dojo Anomalies". (heh...namesake..). First we have two based on officially revealed newcomers.

The "Stadium Anomaly" (solved!!)

We already understand what happened here. Prior to Little Mac's reveal, many people speculated that this was his stage. It was a boxing ring and not a wrestling ring. The "Smash Bros." light banner was a familiar style. The Smash logo on the ring shared similar elements to logos in the Punch-Out series. Post Little Mac's reveal, the stage changed to reveal the truth. Point is, all this time Sakurai was pretty much hinting at Little Mac. Many were sort of catching on, but still...

The "Artstyle Anomaly" (solved...?)

Prior to Rosalina's and the Mario Galaxy stage reveal, Sakurai gave us this image and the following statement:
"Isn't Kirby drawn with a familiar artstyle?"
People quickly speculated that the artstyle indeed belonged to Mario Galaxy. Some weren't as quick to assume. In any case, this looks to be another case of hinting. Perhaps one can say it was just a hint to the stage itself, and that's fine. But why not just reveal the stage on its own time? Why the need for the hint? Sakurai seems to be having some fun...

With those out the way, the following begins to go into pretty strong speculation. Take these as you will...

The "Pyrosphere Anomaly"

What a way to start... I'm sure you know where I'm going with this, but bear with me. This isn't solely about the stage, but rather the words that came with its introduction. We're all familiar with them by now, but here it is anyway:
"Out of the blue, here's a new stage -- the Pyrosphere from Metroid: Other M! An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second..."
And with that statement one of the most infamous topics of this pre-Smash 4 era was born: Is Ridley a stage hazard? It seemed pretty obvious at the time.
...That was August 20. It's been just about 6 months now. We've had several more stages revealed since them. Any gimmicks for most of these stages have been disclosed. Some gimmicks for stages revealed before Pyrosphere have been disclosed. It's natural to think Sakurai would have revealed this stage's gimmick by now. Especially when this stage has no less than 24 images available.
I'd like to also point out something additional: Recognizing the history of the stage, and considering the gimmick that's being expected for this stage, I find it odd that the stage shows signs of battle damage. More importantly the damage is far away from the actual battlefield. Most importantly, the same kind of damage has been consistently shown at any chance available.

Thus the question is begged: Is Ridley really being planned to be a stage hazard? If so, why didn't Sakurai just mention his name back in August? There is no doubt that he is the "enemy from Samus's past", or as the more raw translation of Sakurai's post says, "Samus's Trauma". See, another Nintendo character's name was revealed along with a stage: Viridi. It took a while, but she was eventually revealed as an element of her respective stage.

The "Goddess Statue" Anomaly

If not for a particular leak that has yet to be reasonably proven fake, this particular image would probably mean a little less. But not now. It is highly speculated that Palutena is going to be playable. But then it was quite bizarre that this Daily Pic appeared not long after the two infamous pictures of an original Palutena model showed up on 4chan.

In any case, the appearance of this image very much reminds me of what happened with Rosalina. As supposed to just immediately introducing what's clearly a new stage, we get a shot of a statue of Palutena and the message:
"You can find this statue of the Goddess of Light in one of the stages. She's watching over the arena."
And yet again, Sakurai does not directly name the character he's clearly talking about. I think at this point we're all waiting for the inevitable. But in the meanwhile Sakurai once again produces an anomaly among the growing collection of pics.

The "Dark Emperor" Anomaly

This was back on December 3rd. We've received no information or pictures regarding this stage since. It was quickly identified as a stage from "Find Mii". Heck, Sakurai practically wanted us to figure this out. But then why stop? This is yet another anomaly - a stage revealed without a formal introduction. And because of the infamous E3 leak that revealed six characters, four who are official newcomers, it can be speculated that this particular Daily Pic may be a hint toward Miis being a newcomer (bleh). After all it's following similar established patterns.

...Now you'd think that would be it. Actually, I'm not done yet. The following might be considered extreme speculation...

The "Phantom Armor" Anomaly

"...wat", you might be thinking. What does this image have to do with any of this??

This image appeared along with a host of new pics for Zelda's official reveal in late December. Speculation immediately lead to two possibilities: This was either a brand new special move for Zelda, or this was a brand new Assist Trophy. I believe the Assist Trophy theory is favored due to the pose Zelda makes in this pic is practically identical to another pose in a different pic. Most would like to believe this Phantom Armor is not part of her moveset (partly 'cause people worry that would mean Sheik is out).

I'm proposing a third possibility however: We've been duped by master troll Sakurai, and what we're seeing here is a NEWCOMER in plain sight!!

...TOON ZELDA to be specific! Call this a huge leap or pure conjecture or whatever. I'd be inclined to agree normally. This is just extreme speculating on my part anyway. But WHY has Sakurai not said anything about this image since its appearance?? If it's a special move, Sakurai surely would not be shy to provide more details. If there was a chance it would not remain in Zelda's arsenal, Sakurai would state that her moveset can change at any time just as he's done for other characters. If this was not a special move but rather a new Assist Trophy, why would he reveal it in the middle of another reveal? Why not like Skull Kid or Ashley or Mother Brain??

This pic without a doubt is one of the biggest anomalies of the Dojo and, in my opinion, more trolling by Sakurai.

...Now why would I speculate Toon Zelda? Well the Phantom Armor is very similar to the one she possessed in Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks....

...Spirit Tracks...?

...Oh look the Sprit Train from Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks why would this particular stage be chosen? :smirk:

I believed I've covered them all for now...

"Believed"...

Okay, now this one's definitely stretching, but I would consider it an anomaly for now:

"We have absolutely nothing to announce today regarding Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. Really!"

Okay. Obviously it's Xerneas. Sakurai was just joking around about not revealing any playable pokemon during X/Y's release time, and he slipped in Xerneas for fun. But I have to wonder why he did this. Even I can't postulate a new character from this. I dunno, but he could have just as easily revealed Xerneas like he did Palkia. Right? Right?? (Edit - I am NOT saying Xerneas might be playable, BTW. I'm not that crazy. :p)

OKAY!! I'm done! Feel free to disregard this huge post if you find it too preposterous. Or maybe you guys think I'm actually on to something?? I'd like to believe I am. But I also like to be realistic and wouldn't mind at all if this ultimately all lead to nothing substantial.

"Yellow characters."

Yeah, like Pikachu, the recently revealed Luma, Starfy the Assist Trophy who never got a formal reintroduction...

...Pac-Man...

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
Since this thread seems like the best place to post this, I'll go ahead.

I usually much prefer speaking about things as objectively as I can or being as logical about stuff as possible (with the help of some good ol' intuition), so this is a bit different from my usual postings (and will also require some good ol' intuition). I already posted most of this on the Ridley thread, but here goes...

Somebody out there said that we tend to put too much stock in what Sakurai says and not enough into what Sakurai does. And now I'm inclined to agree. Sakurai likes to play around with us, no doubt. But has he been having his fun with the Daily Pics? We do like say "Oh Sakurai you troll" quite casually. With the reveal of Little Mac as well as a certain other detail, I think we've missed or at least have not given enough attention to some key things.

For now I'm going to call the following examples "Dojo Anomalies". (heh...namesake..). First we have two based on officially revealed newcomers.

The "Stadium Anomaly" (solved!!)

We already understand what happened here. Prior to Little Mac's reveal, many people speculated that this was his stage. It was a boxing ring and not a wrestling ring. The "Smash Bros." light banner was a familiar style. The Smash logo on the ring shared similar elements to logos in the Punch-Out series. Post Little Mac's reveal, the stage changed to reveal the truth. Point is, all this time Sakurai was pretty much hinting at Little Mac. Many were sort of catching on, but still...

The "Artstyle Anomaly" (solved...?)

Prior to Rosalina's and the Mario Galaxy stage reveal, Sakurai gave us this image and the following statement:
"Isn't Kirby drawn with a familiar artstyle?"
People quickly speculated that the artstyle indeed belonged to Mario Galaxy. Some weren't as quick to assume. In any case, this looks to be another case of hinting. Perhaps one can say it was just a hint to the stage itself, and that's fine. But why not just reveal the stage on its own time? Why the need for the hint? Sakurai seems to be having some fun...

With those out the way, the following begins to go into pretty strong speculation. Take these as you will...

The "Pyrosphere Anomaly"

What a way to start... I'm sure you know where I'm going with this, but bear with me. This isn't solely about the stage, but rather the words that came with its introduction. We're all familiar with them by now, but here it is anyway:
"Out of the blue, here's a new stage -- the Pyrosphere from Metroid: Other M! An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second..."
And with that statement one of the most infamous topics of this pre-Smash 4 era was born: Is Ridley a stage hazard? It seemed pretty obvious at the time.
...That was August 20. It's been just about 6 months now. We've had several more stages revealed since them. Any gimmicks for most of these stages have been disclosed. Some gimmicks for stages revealed before Pyrosphere have been disclosed. It's natural to think Sakurai would have revealed this stage's gimmick by now. Especially when this stage has no less than 24 images available.
I'd like to also point out something additional: Recognizing the history of the stage, and considering the gimmick that's being expected for this stage, I find it odd that the stage shows signs of battle damage. More importantly the damage is far away from the actual battlefield. Most importantly, the same kind of damage has been consistently shown at any chance available.

Thus the question is begged: Is Ridley really being planned to be a stage hazard? If so, why didn't Sakurai just mention his name back in August? There is no doubt that he is the "enemy from Samus's past", or as the more raw translation of Sakurai's post says, "Samus's Trauma". See, another Nintendo character's name was revealed along with a stage: Viridi. It took a while, but she was eventually revealed as an element of her respective stage.

The "Goddess Statue" Anomaly

If not for a particular leak that has yet to be reasonably proven fake, this particular image would probably mean a little less. But not now. It is highly speculated that Palutena is going to be playable. But then it was quite bizarre that this Daily Pic appeared not long after the two infamous pictures of an original Palutena model showed up on 4chan.

In any case, the appearance of this image very much reminds me of what happened with Rosalina. As supposed to just immediately introducing what's clearly a new stage, we get a shot of a statue of Palutena and the message:
"You can find this statue of the Goddess of Light in one of the stages. She's watching over the arena."
And yet again, Sakurai does not directly name the character he's clearly talking about. I think at this point we're all waiting for the inevitable. But in the meanwhile Sakurai once again produces an anomaly among the growing collection of pics.

The "Dark Emperor" Anomaly

This was back on December 3rd. We've received no information or pictures regarding this stage since. It was quickly identified as a stage from "Find Mii". Heck, Sakurai practically wanted us to figure this out. But then why stop? This is yet another anomaly - a stage revealed without a formal introduction. And because of the infamous E3 leak that revealed six characters, four who are official newcomers, it can be speculated that this particular Daily Pic may be a hint toward Miis being a newcomer (bleh). After all it's following similar established patterns.

...Now you'd think that would be it. Actually, I'm not done yet. The following might be considered extreme speculation...

The "Phantom Armor" Anomaly

"...wat", you might be thinking. What does this image have to do with any of this??

This image appeared along with a host of new pics for Zelda's official reveal in late December. Speculation immediately lead to two possibilities: This was either a brand new special move for Zelda, or this was a brand new Assist Trophy. I believe the Assist Trophy theory is favored due to the pose Zelda makes in this pic is practically identical to another pose in a different pic. Most would like to believe this Phantom Armor is not part of her moveset (partly 'cause people worry that would mean Sheik is out).

I'm proposing a third possibility however: We've been duped by master troll Sakurai, and what we're seeing here is a NEWCOMER in plain sight!!

...TOON ZELDA to be specific! Call this a huge leap or pure conjecture or whatever. I'd be inclined to agree normally. This is just extreme speculating on my part anyway. But WHY has Sakurai not said anything about this image since its appearance?? If it's a special move, Sakurai surely would not be shy to provide more details. If there was a chance it would not remain in Zelda's arsenal, Sakurai would state that her moveset can change at any time just as he's done for other characters. If this was not a special move but rather a new Assist Trophy, why would he reveal it in the middle of another reveal? Why not like Skull Kid or Ashley or Mother Brain??

This pic without a doubt is one of the biggest anomalies of the Dojo and, in my opinion, more trolling by Sakurai.

...Now why would I speculate Toon Zelda? Well the Phantom Armor is very similar to the one she possessed in Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks....

...Spirit Tracks...?

...Oh look the Sprit Train from Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks why would this particular stage be chosen? :smirk:

I believed I've covered them all for now...

"Believed"...

Okay, now this one's definitely stretching, but I would consider it an anomaly for now:

"We have absolutely nothing to announce today regarding Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. Really!"

Okay. Obviously it's Xerneas. Sakurai was just joking around about not revealing any playable pokemon during X/Y's release time, and he slipped in Xerneas for fun. But I have to wonder why he did this. Even I can't postulate a new character from this. I dunno, but he could have just as easily revealed Xerneas like he did Palkia. Right? Right?? (Edit - I am NOT saying Xerneas might be playable, BTW. I'm not that crazy. :p)

OKAY!! I'm done! Feel free to disregard this huge post if you find it too preposterous. Or maybe you guys think I'm actually on to something?? I'd like to believe I am. But I also like to be realistic and wouldn't mind at all if this ultimately all lead to nothing substantial.

"Yellow characters."

Yeah, like Pikachu, the recently revealed Luma, Starfy the Assist Trophy who never got a formal reintroduction...

...Pac-Man...
WOOAAH WOAH Woah woah woah.... Phantom Zelda is an Assist Trophy and Spirit Tracks was the most recent handheld Zelda during development time so far. Phantom Zelda is NOT a playable character. Sakurai wouldn't leak a playable character in his own pic.
There are a lot of yellow characters... this doesn't hint at Pacman playable, he still could, but Sakurai just didn't have a better confirmation for Starfy as an Assist, because Starfy's assist is dumb and just spins off the stage... seriously, what is there to say?
"Pic of the Day. It is Christmas in America, and here is a star committing suicide. Thank you for your patience."
Yea, that would have been way better.
"I'm not that crazy. :p)"
That's debatable.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
WOOAAH WOAH Woah woah woah.... Phantom Zelda is an Assist Trophy and Spirit Tracks was the most recent handheld Zelda during development time so far. Phantom Zelda is NOT a playable character
Well, Sakurai does like to **** with his fans. Posting an image of the Phantom without the pink eyes (which would mean Zelda is possessing it) would make us think it's an assist when it actually could be a transformation for Celda. Sort of similar to the bait and switch Sakurai pulled with the Punch Out!! stage. As ludicrous as it sounds, it isn't insane.

@ Anomilus Anomilus
While your theories are a little crazy, Sakurai defies all ****ing logic. You certianly aren't that crazy.

I remember when people would complain about Rosalina because she would obviously just be a Peach clone.

People hating on Chrom for that same reason is absurd. Yes, there's more interesting characters from FE from a gameplay perspective(Robin), but in the very likely scenario Chrom makes it in instead, it's silly and unfounded to assume he'd just be a clone swordsman
Well, the problem with Chrom isn't so much the thought that he'd be a clone it's that he wouldn't be original (yes, those are different things). The big issue is the general attack trend swordsman share in SSB: while they generally have very different attributes, many of their moves are very similar. Swordsman have extremely similar smash moves: a down smash that is a slash to both sides, a side smash that's a lunging slash and an up smash that's a large, arc-ing slash overhead. While Chrom wouldn't have to be a clone, I feel that the general trend of swordplay in Smash is stale. Yes, he could change things up with some new moves, but Smash seems to like it's basic moves for swordsman to stay similar. Chrom, or any swordsman for that matter, may feel stale. At least ones that primarily use swords.

The other issue is with FE's sword saturation. FE has had 3 reps, all of which are swordsman. FE has a wealth of other weapon users: spear-users, bowsman, axe-wielders and mages. Any of which would be a welcome change from a swordsman.

The main issue with Chrom isn't that he'd be a clone, it's that he'd be a generic swordsman. With only the shield of seals and some blue fire attributes to help his case and two of the three FE reps in Smash have used fire. It isn't unfounded to think he'd be generic or clone-y.

I see where you're coming from with Rosalina; Chrom could easily be made unique (give him a spear with a stance change moveset). It just seems that other FE characters have more options than he does in terms of uniqueness: i,e. a non-sword user or someone like Robin who can use Swords and Magic, and would, therefore, be a better option.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Oh, I agree with you there. It's why I'm pulling for Robin, because then there's all sort of possibilities that open up. Mostly was just bringing that up because there's waaaaayy too many people who complain about Chrom by calling forth the idea that he'll just be a clone.

Ironically, I see some of those same people demand for the return of Roy. Smashboards is a mysterious place.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I actually completely agree that the Phantom Knight could be Toon Zelda's alternate form. I never contemplated the idea until I saw the new icon in the Roster Maker, but a Toon Zelda/Phantom Knight character makes a ton of sense to me. If we must get Toon Zelda that'd be a great way to do it, too, as Phantom Knight would be a very interesting and unique alternate form for Zelda and would completely avoid the potential similarities to Sheik inherent in Tetra. Being able to transform from a versatile yet light and vulnerable magic user into a brute-force iron juggernaut would make Toon Zelda quite fascinating.

An AT's still the likeliest explanation, but we definitely need to give more thought to Toon Zelda/Phantom Knight as a possibility.

As for Pyrosphere, Sakurai likely wouldn't tease Ridley further regardless of whether he's a stage hazard or a character, as that reveal will be huge either way. We did have to wait a very long time to discover the true nature of the Yellow Devil.

Sakurai definitely loves choosing his wording in daily updates very carefully, no doubt about it.

As for the general thread topic, we can predict veteran reveals aligning with important release dates, but I doubt that any such easily predicted pattern exists for newcomers, particularly since we have no idea who many or most of the newcomers are.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I don't hate Chrom or anything, I just think adding him to the roster would be irrelevant. Robin (both female and male) would be a far more interesting Waifu Emblem rep, in my opinion. Also, I wouldn't bet so adamantly on Phantom Zelda being an Assist Trophy. I just find weird that if she is an Assist, why Sakurai didn't mention anything about it? Instead once again he left it for us to speculate about. Plus, the pose Twilight Zelda is making in the picture, is the same pose she makes in another picture without no assist trophy in sight, so the pose has no correlation to summoning an AT, so the argument isn't really that strong, I think. Personally, I am betting on Phantom Zelda being a newcomer, but I am very well prepared to deal with she being only an Assist Trophy, should that be the case.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
@ Anomilus Anomilus now that you mention it, seeing as what Sakurai did with Conductor Link and the Boxing Ring stage, I wouldn't think some of your theories are that farfetched. After all, Sakurai never really confirmed that the Pyrosphere will have Ridley as a stage hazard, but more that "an enemy from Samus's past might appear at any second" neither has he commented yet on wether or not the Phantom is an assist trophy or a part of Zelda's moves as it's just... there. He could pull a punch out stage and reveal Toon Zelda with that armor as her final Smash with all the bells and whistles attached to it. (pink eyes and all)

However, with the yellow characters thing I think your probably kinda looking into things a little too deeply.... ^^

Oh well, I would love to actually get some more info from these kinds of things from Sakurai, would appreciate that a lot. = v =

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Every multiple of three?

Olimar, Luigi, Peach, Toon Link, Sonic, Marth... Rosalina

Zelda, King Dedede, Lucario... Little Mac

It is probably debunked... but at the very least, we can expect a newcomer in an international Nintendo Direct... and the next international Nintendo Direct is probably on April.
That was my fault for poor phrasing. Count that up. 6. Two rows of 3. Then we got Rosalina. In short, if we don't get two Newcomers in a row, it's going to be after the 3rd or 6th character.

D

Deleted member

Next month is March… so I am expecting the next newcomer to possibly be Palutena since KI:U was first released in March. I'm still saying that Shulk could get revealed in any Nintendo Direct if Monolith Soft is involved with it.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Feb. 21 is kind of a busy day. Both the Star Fox and Zelda franchises have their first games released on this day though in different years. Then we have Tropical Freeze's US release. So 3 potential options.

Either way, I think we're going to see three more veterans first before another newcomer.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Feb. 21 is kind of a busy day. Both the Star Fox and Zelda franchises have their first games released on this day though in different years. Then we have Tropical Freeze's US release. So 3 potential options.

Either way, I think we're going to see three more veterans first before another newcomer.
My guess would be that it's most likely going to be Diddy Kong that gets revealed, with Falco or Ganondorf being unlikely but possible reveals. Given their preferences for release date reveals, I would say that gives Diddy the edge over the other two.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
My guess would be that it's most likely going to be Diddy Kong that gets revealed, with Falco or Ganondorf being unlikely but possible reveals. Given their preferences for release date reveals, I would say that gives Diddy the edge over the other two.
That's the logical conclusion. The Sakurai factor... though...

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I think there's a good chance we get Diddy Kong this Friday. Tropical Freeze is made by Retro Studios, which is an American company, so maybe they'll reveal Diddy on the North Amerian release date.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh, how I wish the Dark Emperor anomaly hinted at the Wandering Heroes and not Miis...

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589

Watch there be no reveal. Or Ike.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
So Diddy swings in and...

Perhaps if a Japanese release date isn't available (as Little Mac took the Tropical Freeze day), the release date in other regions is acknowledged?

idk, I got nothing. >_>

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
So Diddy swings in and...

Perhaps if a Japanese release date isn't available (as Little Mac took the Tropical Freeze day), the release date in other regions is acknowledged?

idk, I got nothing. >_>
I guarantee you Diddy was ready when the Nintendo Direct was shown. He did this on purpose. Tropical Freeze's release date was so close to the Japanese release that it probably didn't even matter and probably made more sense to reveal him to the whole world rather than just promoting the Japanese release. Anyways, I'm glad this stupid Japanese only releases matter mentality is put to rest.

Last edited:

Grimnir

Smash Apprentice
To all the people talking about how Sakurai is so crazy and unpredictable that all the reveals must be too: you should realize that the marketing and promotion of the game is not his priority or really even his job at all. He probably does not have much input in the order of reveals. The exception for this may be hidden characters, who he can probably say can't be shown prior to the game being released.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
This is the first instance of a character reveal on a Western release date. Time to update the OP with the possibility. :p

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
0_0

This thread is stickied?!?

Well now I HAVE to update it.

EDIT:

The OP is updated with new information, including a brand new point! Tell me what you think!

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So who do we even EXPECT next? My brain is wracked with confusion.

Diddy was a correct prediction, but what's even left? Yoshi in March?

If the Sakurai effect comes into play, maybe Palutena in March? I dunno though, seems too early.

Nazo-no Murasame Jo has its 28th in April, so maybe Takamaru? What else has an anniversary/release date in March/April?

D

Deleted member

I think seeing Diddy Kong today kinda makes sense. He could have been revealed last week, but that honor went into revealing Little Mac for Punch Out!!'s 30th Anniversary in the Direct. Also, Retro Studios is an American studio… I guess they wanted Sakurai to reveal Diddy Kong for the American release?

I hope that Sakurai will account for American dates. Next month might be big on reveals as we have Japan's WarioWare Anniversary, the American release of Yoshi's New Island, and Brawl's release in America. I am just hoping that these reveals happen often and fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom