• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can we predict reveals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

It seems that the only stable prediction to go by is the global Nintendo Direct every other month, eh?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
First off, people MUST start predicting the 5th Zelda & Pokémon newcomer.

With Rosaluma added, Star Fox, & Kirby get upped a character.

DK, Fire Emblem, Earthbound and every series gets upped a newcomer (or veteran)

Except Metroid.

Here's the answer to the thread title: you don't!

Legend of Zelda already has 5 characters (Link, Zelda, Shiek, Ganondorf, Toon Link) so the franchises are already equal. Not to mention Pokemon already wins on representation with 6 different characters/moveset. (Pikachu, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Jigglypuff, Lucario)

I don't imagine it works like that....otherwise we'd end up with an avalanche of characters whos main reason for existing would be Rosalina. Which would be ridiculous.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It seems that the only stable prediction to go by is the global Nintendo Direct every other month, eh?
Even then, it's not reliable.

It could easily change...

Regardless, I have a good feeling about the 26th! I'm thinking we'll get someone then.

D

Deleted member

Unless Sakurai decides to pull a Toon Link, I don't see a reveal for ALBW.

I mean, we average out 1 character a month with September being the only exception.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Sakurai works in mysterious ways. Some expected a popular character like Little Mac, Ridley or K. Rool on the 18th. Some expected Palutena, as Kid Icarus's anniversary was yesterday. We got Rosalina. I think Sakurai wanted to announce all of the Mario veterans soon, so he could show Rosalina on the 18th. I personally think there is a 50/50 chance of getting Zelda on the 26th.

D

Deleted member

Not exactly. In the periods between Luigi and Peach, Sonic and Marth, and even Marth and Rosalina, the banner for the former character went down a while before the latter character was revealed.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Not exactly. In the periods between Luigi and Peach, Sonic and Marth, and even Marth and Rosalina, the banner for the former character went down a while before the latter character was revealed.
To further complicate the matter, that banner between Toon Link and Sonic didn't go down at all!

D

Deleted member

I'm sure the joke has been done before, but the banner was.....too slow. :sonic:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
A part of me thinks they'll reveal King Dedede on Christmas day because he's a penguin that looks like Santa Claus.

Then the other part of me tells me not to be so ridiculous. :p

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
We going have to calm down over Rosaluma to get another character reveal.

Well I couldn't imagine us getting two newcomers in the one month. It's not very likely but I wouldn't be completely shocked if we got a veteran reveal alongside Rosalina. I'm not counting on it or anything though.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Well I couldn't imagine us getting two newcomers in the one month. It's not very likely but I wouldn't be completely shocked if we got a veteran reveal alongside Rosalina. I'm not counting on it or anything though.
I think Sakurai wants us to think this way, he's all about throwing us for a loop. He could hit us with something unexpected after Rosa. Probably won't be a Newcomer, but something larger than a simple Veteran. Perhaps a redone Veteran, a Melee Vet, Snake's return, or release date info. You can't let your guard down around Sakurai.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
If we get another character reveal this week, the best bet is Zelda on Thursday (that in itself is unlikely).

I guess one could argue the Ice Climbers have a chance of being shown, being "wintery" and such. But in my opinion it's Zelda Thursday or nothing.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Ice Climbers could always be revealed next month on the 30th of January anyway... At least if Sakurai wants to reveal them on their game's anniversary.....

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Ice Climbers could always be revealed next month in January 30 anyway... At least if Sakurai wants to reveal them on their game's anniversary.....
That would be pretty good, IF he does anniversaries. There's no proof he is doing anniversaries, as Peach wasn't even revealed on the SMB anniversary. People just assumed...

These are my predictions that will probably cease to become true for the next 3 veteran reveals:
  • December 26- Zelda (about time we confirm her)
  • January 10- King Dedede (day before Triple Deluxe releases, as it is on a Saturday)
  • January 30- Ice Climbers (I guess, probably the most unlikely of the batch)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'd just like to see Snake, Ike, Lucario and Falco revealed. Those 4 would probably create the most hype veteran wise because of their Smash popularity.

I could see Snake getting revealed via a Direct, but I think he may be through E3 next year. I just don't see an appropriate time to announce him otherwise.

Ike, Lucario and Falco would likely be random reveals. My thoughts on upcoming reveals are

- Zelda this week for ALBW (though i'm doubting it really)
- Dedede for Christmasy feel
- Ice Climbers next month for anniversary, or Meta Knight/King Dedede for Triple Deluxe
- Yoshi for some kind of Yoshi news
- Wario randomly, unless there is a new Wario Ware game revealed

That's all I have. There is a significant amount of veterans who have nothing coming to reveal them with. It may be a part of Sakurai's plan to reveal less, and it would honestly make sense.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
If were going to predict correctly, the character will probably not be Zelda, instead it would be someone else.
Spoilers, it will be a character next month, you know like it has always been.

Seriously, we get two characters in a single month and now people are expecting fifteen to be revealed within a week...

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Spoilers, it will be a character next month, you know like it has always been.

Seriously, we get two characters in a single month and now people are expecting fifteen to be revealed within a week...
Promotion can still be a good reason for exceptionally revealing two characters on a single month.

Sakurai won't reveal randomly 2 characters in a month, I agree. However if one of both characters can be revealed for a special opportunity, then I guess he won't want to miss such an opportunity (as promotion of games)
Of course we got no Pokémon newcomer or veteran revealed for Pokemon X/Y, but you know: Pokémon doesn't need promotion. The games are selling like hell and it makes absolutely no difference if you reveal a smash veteran like jigglypuff or pokémon trainer in order to push the games or if you don't reveal any Pokémon character for the release of Pokemon X/Y. Look just at the sold copies of Pokemon X/Y and you will know what I mean.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Hi AEM here deciding to share his thoughts on predicting newcomers from here on out. (yes i know the topic name says reveals, but this is still pretty relevant)

Now obviously, Rosalina and Luma were a bit of a curveball to the majority of us here. Now that isn't necessarily a bad thing, since they look very interesting gameplay wise and Rosalina is a pretty popular Mario character when you think about it. She's arguably one of the more popular Nintendo Princesses and her popularity has only grown since her conception.

Now her inclusion has opened my eyes to something very important, this game will probably focus more on gameplay and have newcomers with relatively unique moves and playstyles. As it stands, our four newcomers are really unique in their own ways. Villager uses everyday items to fight (something Mr. Game & Watch kinda does), but also has a unique projectile storing mechanic and the ability to create a interact-able stage hazard (through the use of the tree). Wii Fit Trainer's entire moveset focuses on fitness, with her a potential Deep Breathing special that could be very important to her overall moveset (or even potentially be able to heal herself through use of it). Mega Man is very projectile heavy and is literally completely based off of the Mega Man game. Rosalina introduces a new yet familiar fighting style to the Smash formula through the Luma. All of these characters are really different from the existing ones in the previous games, which basically leaves me to believe that what a character brings into Smash is much more important than a need to add the character "just because".

This basically means that characters with bigger potential unique playstyles (I.E. Ridley via focused air game, Shulk via the Monado, Dillon via Tower setting up / Burrowing, Robin via not being a blue-haired swordsman, etc.) have a much larger chance of being added in because of how they can change the game.

Rosalina and Luma also show that you don't have to be a big-named Nintendo character to be a part of Smash Bros., which really helps the likes of many miscellaneous characters, retro characters, and a Zelda Newcomer. You just need to be unique, which a lot of these characters can be if done correctly (like Rosalina).

tl:dr version
You don't need to be a big name character as long as you're relatively popular and you bring something new to the table gameplay wise. Also Zelda newcomer looks likelier now.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Hi AEM here deciding to share his thoughts on predicting newcomers from here on out. (yes i know the topic name says reveals, but this is still pretty relevant)

Now obviously, Rosalina and Luma were a bit of a curveball to the majority of us here. Now that isn't necessarily a bad thing, since they look very interesting gameplay wise and Rosalina is a pretty popular Mario character when you think about it. She's arguably one of the more popular Nintendo Princesses and her popularity has only grown since her conception.

Now her inclusion has opened my eyes to something very important, this game will probably focus more on gameplay and have newcomers with relatively unique moves and playstyles. As it stands, our four newcomers are really unique in their own ways. Villager uses everyday items to fight (something Mr. Game & Watch kinda does), but also has a unique projectile storing mechanic and the ability to create a interact-able stage hazard (through the use of the tree). Wii Fit Trainer's entire moveset focuses on fitness, with her a potential Deep Breathing special that could be very important to her overall moveset (or even potentially be able to heal herself through use of it). Mega Man is very projectile heavy and is literally completely based off of the Mega Man game. Rosalina introduces a new yet familiar fighting style to the Smash formula through the Luma. All of these characters are really different from the existing ones in the previous games, which basically leaves me to believe that what a character brings into Smash is much more important than a need to add the character "just because".

This basically means that characters with bigger potential unique playstyles (I.E. Ridley via focused air game, Shulk via the Monado, Dillon via Tower setting up / Burrowing, Robin via not being a blue-haired swordsman, etc.) have a much larger chance of being added in because of how they can change the game.

Rosalina and Luma also show that you don't have to be a big-named Nintendo character to be a part of Smash Bros., which really helps the likes of many miscellaneous characters, retro characters, and a Zelda Newcomer. You just need to be unique, which a lot of these characters can be if done correctly (like Rosalina).

tl:dr version
You don't need to be a big name character as long as you're relatively popular and you bring something new to the table gameplay wise. Also Zelda newcomer looks likelier now.
Basically, gameplay is top priority.

Rather than asking "which characters are big in Nintendo, and how to implement them?", a faster approach could be "how can you make more movesets, and which characters are they?"

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Basically, gameplay is top priority.

Rather than asking "which characters are big in Nintendo, and how to implement them?", a faster approach could be "how can you make more movesets, and which characters are they?"
tl:dr mk. II

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Knew it!

And you people doubted the mighty Ganta Claus!

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
So... with Zelda's reveal on the Japanese ALBW release and not the American release, it's safe to say that Sakurai only considers Japanese reveal dates for revealing a character.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So... with Zelda's reveal on the Japanese ALBW release and not the American release, it's safe to say that Sakurai only considers Japanese reveal dates for revealing a character.
Yeah. Pretty much.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I don't know why you guys put so much emphasis on the banner in the first place. It never wen't down between Toon Link and Sonic's reveal either.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah the Banner pretty much means little now. Sometimes it stays up when a new character gets revealed. Sometimes it goes down and we still have to wait several weeks before the next reveal. :/

D

Deleted member

Oh my god, this was the first time we got a prediction right. Maybe Sakurai was kind to us for once.
Did the banner ever go down between Rosalina and Zelda?
No. That was fast, but not as fast as Sonic's reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom