• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can we predict reveals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
There's always Monday for a veteran reveal. :troll:

Part of me wants to know what Sakurai has in store for Thanksgiving next week. We got a Male Wii Fit Trainer tease on Halloween, so perhaps he'll have another surprise to tease if not a veteran reveal.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I want my Diddy, and I want my Diddy soon.

When is Japan´s release for Tropical Freeze?

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
I for one am looking forward to see if Sakurai trolls us again.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got something random ... like Ike, or Zero Suit Samus.

Not conforming to our speculative expectations =/= intentional trolling.

I want my Diddy, and I want my Diddy soon.

When is Japan´s release for Tropical Freeze?

We should expect the game around February 2014. The information isn't necessarily specific for international release dates (it's a generalization), but one can assume we would expect a Japanese release around this time-frame.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
There's always Monday for a veteran reveal. :troll:

Part of me wants to know what Sakurai has in store for Thanksgiving next week. We got a Male Wii Fit Trainer tease on Halloween, so perhaps he'll have another surprise to tease if not a veteran reveal.
Maybe we will get the female Villager... or Mega Girl. :troll:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
You can't silly. I mean, I won't stop trying but we won't accurately predict most I'm sure.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Link Between Worlds comes out in Japan on December 26, so I'm gonna hold my breath for Zelda to show up around then.

Followed a few weeks later by some Kirby character (MK or Dedede) around January 11th for Kirby: Triple Deluxe.

Yoshi sometime next year with Yoshi's New Island. Perhaps something to tie in with Mario Kart 8, and then Tropical Freeze.

...and that's it. There's no more new games coming out before Smash (that we know of) that tie in with a veteran reveal.

Then bam, E3 2014 drops a bombshell. :p

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Link Between Worlds comes out in Japan on December 26, so I'm gonna hold my breath for Zelda to show up around then.

Followed a few weeks later by some Kirby character (MK or Dedede) around January 11th for Kirby: Triple Deluxe.

Yoshi sometime next year with Yoshi's New Island. Perhaps something to tie in with Mario Kart 8, and then Tropical Freeze.

...and that's it. There's no more new games coming out before Smash (that we know of) that tie in with a veteran reveal.

Then bam, E3 2014 drops a bombshell. :p
Well, there really wasn't anything in November Sakurai could do, so he gave us Marth. For months we don't have anything, I see Sakurai just revealing a random character, like this month. But I'm still holding for Zelda next month, too. Just have to wait and see.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
*Update with no Zelda*? - Sorry but I can't find information on this one.

You should also add the fact that Japanese release dates are in general more important than American or European release. Considering this point there is still a possibility to reveal Zelda around the 26 December as A Link Between Worlds isn't out until then.

btw: We still can expect a reveal next week as the banner disappeared. I think we will get a reveal before Friday next week.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
*Update with no Zelda*? - Sorry but I can't find information on this one.

You should also add the fact that Japanese release dates are in general more important than American or European release. Considering this point there is still a possibility to reveal Zelda around the 26 December as A Link Between Worlds isn't out until then.

btw: We still can expect a reveal next week as the banner disappeared. I think we will get a reveal before Friday next week.
I've added those points already. Or rather edited past points.

And it's not entirely impossible. The banner did not stay very long for Marth. Only one week. That rivals Peach.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So far, the only consistency in character reveals is... They all advertise a game. Even if the date when the character is announced, and the day when the game comes out don't necessarily match.

Olimar: Pikmin 3
Luigi: Dream Team
Peach: Super Mario 3D World
Toon Link: Zelda WW HD
Sonic: Sonic Lost World
Marth: Fire Emblem Awakening

So, Captain Falcon is a definite NO, imo, because there's no game to link C.Falcon with, at the moment.
ZELDA and GANONDORF on the other hand are possible inclusions. Specifically Zelda since Ganondorf doesn't have a lot to do, to the extent of my knowledge, with Zelda ALBW.
Out of the Brawl roster, the following characters are more likely to be revealed soon:

-Diddy (Tropical Freeze)
-Yoshi (Yoshi's New Island)
-Zelda (A Link Between Worlds)
-Ganondorf (A Link Between Worlds)
-Metaknight (Triple Deluxe)
-Dedede (Triple Deluxe)
-Pokemon Trainer (Pokemon X/Y)
-Jigglypuff (Pokemon X/Y)
-Lucario (Pokemon X/Y)
-Ness (Earthbound VC: but ONLY because it's a huge deal for Nintendo, so will not apply to any other VC character)

So my theory is that only ONE veteran will represent a whole game in these reveals. If more than 1 veteran is associated with a game, chances are only one of them could be revealed and the other one will most likely become a hidden character.
(e.g., If MK is announced to advertise the new Kirby game, Dedede will probably be saved for near release or hidden completely, or the other way around)
I've color coded the characters in chances of being revealed before 2015.
Green = most likely / Yellow = moderately likely / Orange = a little likely
Those not mentioned here are probably going to be hidden characters, as they have nothing recent to advertise.
What do you guys think?

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
We could get a new comer reveal this December 7th in the VGX Awards, Reggie did talk about it in a interview that Nintendo has something especial for that occasion, he didn't mention what, but at least it will be worth the hype.

Thinking about it it can only mean the reveal of new game (most probably), the reveal of a trailer for the new Zelda for WiiU (not likely because the Director said that it will show it in the E3 of 2014), or the update and new information for a upcoming game in 2014 (DK: TF, MK 8, Bayonetta 2, Smash Wii U / 3DS or X) is up there, if is the later then it should be a really huge surprise so from those games I think the two most probable candidates would be DK: TF revealing the last playable character or the introduction of new playable characters in Smash (Ridley, Little Mac or King K. Rool being the most obvious choices for that announcement because of the high popularity they have in the west).

.n_n.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
We could get a new comer reveal this December 7th in the VGX Awards, Reggie did talk about it in a interview that Nintendo has something especial for that occasion, he didn't mention what, but at least it will be worth the hype.

Thinking about it it can only mean the reveal of new game (most probably), the reveal of a trailer for the new Zelda for WiiU (not likely because the Director said that it will show it in the E3 of 2014), or the update and new information for a upcoming game in 2014 (DK: TF, MK 8, Bayonetta 2, Smash Wii U / 3DS or X) is up there, if is the later then it should be a really huge surprise so from those games I think the two most probable candidates would be DK: TF revealing the last playable character or the introduction of new playable characters in Smash (Ridley, Little Mac or King K. Rool being the most obvious choices for that announcement because of the high popularity they have in the west).

.n_n.
That sounds cool,but is pretty unlikely IMO.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Maybe the Miis getting confirmed because there were already some Mii hints in the past days, however, I don't really want the Miis to be playable.

If Reggie wants to announce something special, a veteran reveal would be pretty unlikely for the VGX. If anything Smash related, then I expect at least a newcomer reveal. If not, there are a few more possibilities. Speaking of Zelda U, I read somewhere that Aonuma would like to share more information with us(if I remember his statement right) and this could mean a first teaser trailer for Zelda U. Otherwise, DKC: Tropical Freeze would be another option or maybe the new Miyamoto IP as Iwata once said new IPs would need to be revealed shortly before the release in order to create interest in the gamers mind and in order to not lose this interest because of a long waiting period before the release. I know this only some sort of conclusion of single statements Nintendo guys made in the past, but I guess we can trust the words Iwata and Aonuma shared with the world. Therefore even a whole new IP made by Miyamoto would be possible. However I don't know if Miyamotos team is already close to the end of the production of the game as they can't work already for more than 6 months on the IP(because of the Pikmin 3 release in July if I'm right)

Anyway: This or next week we will get a character reveal for sure. (newcomer or veteran)
Maybe in a December Direct Sakurai shares another character reveal with us.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm wondering if any newcomer announcement will come with a couple of veterans to beef it up.

D

Deleted member

I'm wondering if any newcomer announcement will come with a couple of veterans to beef it up.
I'm hoping that the next trailer for SSB4 will be like the E3 trailer and they would announce 9 veterans (like the E3 trailer) and one newcomer (someone that will add hype, like Little Mac, King K. Rool, or a returning Mewtwo).
I don't think that will happen, but I can still dream about it.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I'm hoping that the next trailer for SSB4 will be like the E3 trailer and they would announce 9 veterans (like the E3 trailer) and one newcomer (someone that will add hype, like Little Mac, King K. Rool, or a returning Mewtwo).
I don't think that will happen, but I can still dream about it.
I have a better dream,Sakurai will reveal the entire roster XDD

D

Deleted member

I have a better dream,Sakurai will reveal the entire roster XDD
I always wish for that.
I know that I would be spoiled now and ruin the surprises later, but I want to know the roster now. I rather be excited or disappointed now than later.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I always wish for that.
I know that I would be spoiled now and ruin the surprises later, but I want to know the roster now. I rather be excited or disappointed now than later.
It would be better to know the roster now, because then you'd know the roster as it is now, and since things can change, planned characters can be reprioritised and possibly cut due to development time and new choices can sprout up (ala Brawl=Sonic) and join the roster late in the cycle. I'd say there would still be a time for both excitement and disappointment, because you'd never know, in the end, who got in that you weren't expecting, and who didn't ultimately the cut that you weren't expecting either.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I should probably point out that at this point in time, the presence of a new character doesn't necessarily equal new playable character. Today, the Skull Kid was revealed, and was confirmed as an Assist Trophy.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I should probably point out that at this point in time, the presence of a new character doesn't necessarily equal new playable character. Today, the Skull Kid was revealed, and was confirmed as an Assist Trophy.
Well so long as there isn't a challenger approaching banner under said new character whilst featuring them in it, I think it's safe to assume they are anything but a playable character so we should be fine...

Xigger

Smash Lord
Why does it say Peach was on a random date? Anniversary of the original game isn't random, it just isn't a new game release.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Why does it say Peach was on a random date? Anniversary of the original game isn't random, it just isn't a new game release.
The anniversary was on a Saturday.

Peach was revealed on a Thursday.

If they REALLY wanted to celebrate the anniversary, why not do it on Friday or Monday?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think her and Marth's reveals were close enough to the anniversary. Really, because we only get one or two characters a month, so it very well could just be a reveal for their anniversary month.

That's my guess.

Xigger

Smash Lord
The anniversary was on a Saturday.

Peach was revealed on a Thursday.

If they REALLY wanted to celebrate the anniversary, why not do it on Friday or Monday?

Why go by the day of the week instead of the date? September 13 1985, September 12 2013.

Even with a one day difference, I wouldn't call it RANDOM. One day before an anniversary isn't random, just not exact. Like Black Friday starting on Thursday.

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
Two points to consider and may come clear further down the track:

1) Newcomers may not be revealed during promotions of a game. Two examples of this is Wonder Red and Pacman. We'll have to wait and see if they get revealed further down the track.
2) When Sakurai fills up all the grey boxes on the website it means it's time for newcomers and another batch of grey boxes (to later be filled with veterans.) Sakurai filling up the last box with Marth may have been because he was getting ready for the next trailer (possibly VGX or New Year Nintendo Direct)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm wondering... Smash Brawl had a starting roster of 21 and so far we've gotten 18 total. Minus Sonic and Mega Man that's 16 and if we subtract Luigi and Toon Link that's 14 characters revealed. 7 more reveals and the rumored release date of august is 7-8 months away.

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
I'm wondering... Smash Brawl had a starting roster of 21 and so far we've gotten 18 total. Minus Sonic and Mega Man that's 16 and if we subtract Luigi and Toon Link that's 14 characters revealed. 7 more reveals and the rumored release date of august is 7-8 months away.
If I remember correctly Super Smash Bros Dojo also revealed some of the unlockables. Plus we also should start off with more characters. Meaning its unpredictable how may characters will be revealed.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Who we seein' in December? Anyone have a guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom