• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Can Anyone Believe in God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snex

Smash Master
Erm... circular logic... something cannot support itself.
where is the circularity? since you have no reliable method to present other than science, you have no argument to bring.

That's a fundamentally naturalist worldview, which was was he was pointing out. To somebody who isn't a naturalist, "supernatural" has a totally different connotation.

Under a naturalist worldview they would be a natural phenomenon, but under other worldviews that would not be the case.
um, no. words dont have meaning based on the philosophical views of the listener. words have meanings because we can define them. go ahead and offer a coherent definition of "supernatural." you cant do it. nobody can.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
where is the circularity? since you have no reliable method to present other than science, you have no argument to bring.
Using science to substantiate science, that is inherently circular.

um, no. words dont have meaning based on the philosophical views of the listener. words have meanings because we can define them. go ahead and offer a coherent definition of "supernatural." you cant do it. nobody can.
You REALLY need to read this essay, worldviews change drastically change the way that people interpret words. For a naturalist, nature is the set of all that exists, whereas in other worldviews, nature has far more limited connotations, for example, "that which is is temporally linear".

In the naturalist worldview, what other worldviews would refer to as "supernatural" would actually be a special class of natural things.

So, it's simply a case of differently defined terms, when a naturalist talks about what other worldviews call "supernatural" he/she must recognize the fact that the phenomenon would still be natural according to naturalism, and take "supernatural" instead as what it means to the worldview that he/she is talking about.

snex

Smash Master
Using science to substantiate science, that is inherently circular.
except i never did that, so why would you lie and pretend i did? my words are posted right there in public.

You REALLY need to read this essay, worldviews change drastically change the way that people interpret words. For a naturalist, nature is the set of all that exists, whereas in other worldviews, nature has far more limited connotations, for example, "that which is is temporally linear".

In the naturalist worldview, what other worldviews would refer to as "supernatural" would actually be a special class of natural things.

So, it's simply a case of differently defined terms, when a naturalist talks about what other worldviews call "supernatural" he/she must recognize the fact that the phenomenon would still be natural according to naturalism, and take "supernatural" instead as what it means to the worldview that he/she is talking about.
the lack of a coherent definition of "supernatural" in your post is telling.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
except i never did that, so why would you lie and pretend i did? my words are posted right there in public.
Default on "misunderstood", you're less likely to cause nasty arguments that way.

Anyway, you did, I'll quote you.

Methodological naturalism or some other world view. There are dozens.
It's not an either or proposition. I can reject naturalism as a whole and still utilize science. Naturalism is just the acceptance of reductionist materialism (either as an absolute truth or a necessary truth) combined with the notion that science is the best method for observation. There is no particular reason for me to accept both
the reason to accept both is science itself. science is not merely the best method for observation, it is the ONLY KNOWN RELIABLE method for observation. until some better or even slightly reliable other method comes along, science is all you have. and given science, philosophical naturalism is the only conclusion the evidence can support.
*bolding added

The reason to accept both "naturalism and science" is science itself, in your words.

Circular logic.

the lack of a coherent definition of "supernatural" in your post is telling.
If that's what you got from it, you totally missed my point.

"Supernatural" varies in definition from worldview to worldview, so any definition of "supernatural" would simply be an example definition.

Also, you should've noticed that I gave you the inverse of an example definition, because I gave you an example definition of "natural" that was different from the naturalist one.

I'll spell it out for you, if natural is "temporally linear", then supernatural is "temporally non-linear".

The point is, commenting on the word "supernatural" is just dodging the question, even if the things presented as "supernatural" by the person you are talking to would be considered "natural" in your worldview, that doesn't change the actual attributes of what the person is talking about. Whether they're natural or supernatural doesn't really matter.

snex

Smash Master
The reason to accept both "naturalism and science" is science itself, in your words.

Circular logic.
except that it isnt. yossarian stated: "I can reject naturalism as a whole and still utilize science." in other words, he accepts science and claims it is possible to still not accept naturalism. this is not the case because SCIENCE POINTS TO NATURALISM. there is no circularity. you just dont understand the way a logical implication works.

If that's what you got from it, you totally missed my point.

"Supernatural" varies in definition from worldview to worldview, so any definition of "supernatural" would simply be an example definition.

Also, you should've noticed that I gave you the inverse of an example definition, because I gave you an example definition of "natural" that was different from the naturalist one.

I'll spell it out for you, if natural is "temporally linear", then supernatural is "temporally non-linear".

The point is, commenting on the word "supernatural" is just dodging the question, even if the things presented as "supernatural" by the person you are talking to would be considered "natural" in your worldview, that doesn't change the actual attributes of what the person is talking about. Whether they're natural or supernatural doesn't really matter.
"temprally linear" and "temporally non-linear" are meaningless terms. like i said, you still havent presented a COHERENT definition of "supernatural."

Quicksand

Smash Apprentice
I know, Snex. I've asked Quicksand twice now for a coherent meaning of "supernatural" and have yet to receive an acknowledgment.
Sorry, I have a hard time keeping track of all the people I'm trying to respond to and I've also been too busy to give any thought to a response, so I'll just give you this quick blurb in the mean time. :psycho:

The word supernatural pretty much defines itself. Something that is outside of natural laws, even if the supernatural only interacts with the natural word with natural laws. Something comparable to switching the effects of gravity to repel mode would be an example.

There's probably much deeper philosophical implications to be derived from it. Supernatural and natural might be more of a gray area than black and white.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
except that it isnt. yossarian stated: "I can reject naturalism as a whole and still utilize science." in other words, he accepts science and claims it is possible to still not accept naturalism. this is not the case because SCIENCE POINTS TO NATURALISM. there is no circularity. you just dont understand the way a logical implication works.
I figured that's what you meant, that science implies naturalism... but that's not what you said. You said, "the reason to accept both is science itself", not "the reason to accept naturalism is science".

Those are two fundamentally different things, one assumes that the proof of naturalism and science is science, and the other assumes that science is only the proof of naturalism.

"If you cannot say what you mean then you can never mean what you say."

Do you have a proof of that? (that science implies naturalism)

"temprally linear" and "temporally non-linear" are meaningless terms. like i said, you still havent presented a COHERENT definition of "supernatural."
Two major errors there...

Firstly, if you were correct and they were meaningless terms, you asked for coherent, which means "lacking contradictions". If something is meaningless then it's lacking in contradictions. Nothing cannot contradict nothing. So, meaningless things are inherently coherent, if you want I'll prove it via set theory.

Secondly, no. It's not meaningless. Time is a dimension, like height, width, and depth. If you say that something is "temporally non-linear", it's no different then saying something is a 2D object, only lacking a different dimension.

RDK

Smash Hero
A coherent definition of supernatural would be anything that doesn't fall under the category of what's "natural" (man being affected by forces outside himself / known environment). The supernatural is anything that claims to be supra, or "above" that which we know to be true and already established about our world. Hence God.

And whoever said science implies naturalism? Science is merely the perception; it implies what it shown to it, be it naturalism or otherwise. Although that depends on what your definition of natural and supernatural are.

If I'm reading Snex right, he means that science implies that there is no supernatural, in which case he'd be right.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
If I'm reading Snex right, he means that science implies that there is no supernatural, in which case he'd be right.
Which is ontological naturalism... but no, he just said naturalism which doesn't require a rejection of the supernatural.

Regardless, prove it, prove science points to a rejection of the supernatural.

Sudsy86_

Smash Ace
go ahead and offer a coherent definition of "supernatural." you cant do it. nobody can.
I'll try, instead:

an event or property existing outside the senses and/ or true conceptual/ visual grasp of a physical being.

Also, science's function is only being served when observation/ analysis is under the assumption of natural, physical causes. Science does not inherently point to or necessarily imply naturalism; a "God" could very well be applied after the fundamental properties' functions ( as causes) have been attained logically.

However, assuming naturalism asserts NO supernatural at all, also asserting science POINTS to naturalism is wrong,

unless I'm not sure what you mean by "points-to".

I know many LIKE to think that applying God defeats the purpose of science, but--not really. If I happen to apply God, or any greater force, after I've reasoned through the fundamental properties, no valid principle is being violated, hence the "fundamental" quality of the properties.

snex

Smash Master
by "points to" i mean that the success of science (combined with the lack of any other successful method) inductively leads to the idea that naturalism is correct. it isnt a 100% deductive proof, it is just a tentative conclusion drawn from the weight of the currently available evidence. if naturalism were incorrect, we would expect science to either fail or we would expect some other method to succeed where science cannot.

quicksand said:
The word supernatural pretty much defines itself. Something that is outside of natural laws, even if the supernatural only interacts with the natural word with natural laws. Something comparable to switching the effects of gravity to repel mode would be an example.
your definition implies that we have knowledge of the natural laws. we do not. we have close approximations that operate under certain conditions and fail under others. even if we managed to attain a state of knowledge where no observation ever contradicted the laws we had derived, the fact remains that we derived those laws inductively using science. so, how do you tell the difference between something thats supernatural and something thats natural but we have the laws wrong? if this cant be done, then the definition of "supernatural" offered is insufficient.

adumbroksgkgakg said:
Firstly, if you were correct and they were meaningless terms, you asked for coherent, which means "lacking contradictions". If something is meaningless then it's lacking in contradictions. Nothing cannot contradict nothing. So, meaningless things are inherently coherent, if you want I'll prove it via set theory.
coherent does not simply mean "lacking contradictions." it means "able to be understood." lacking contradictions is only one part of that.

adumbtityufydyudyu said:
Secondly, no. It's not meaningless. Time is a dimension, like height, width, and depth. If you say that something is "temporally non-linear", it's no different then saying something is a 2D object, only lacking a different dimension.
in other words, supernatural objects lack time. so black holes are supernatural objects then?

sudsy said:
an event or property existing outside the senses and/ or true conceptual/ visual grasp of a physical being.
how can such a thing exist? what definition of "existence" are you using? if something cannot interact with physical objects, then it doesnt exist at all. existence is nothing more than the ability to interact with other existing objects.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
coherent does not simply mean "lacking contradictions." it means "able to be understood." lacking contradictions is only one part of that.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/coherent said:
1 a: logically or aesthetically ordered or integrated : consistent <coherent style> <a coherent argument> b: having clarity or intelligibility : understandable <a coherent person> <a coherent passage>
Just so we get that out of the way. Nothingness both lacks contradictions and is logically ordered, it is intelligible. Therefore it is coherent.

in other words, supernatural objects lack time. so black holes are supernatural objects then?
No, they don't. They bend time.

Regardless, if they did "lack time", yeah, under this definition, why not?

Supernatural is just a classification, what meaning you think the word should hold has no bearing on consistent application of the term. If supernatural was defined as "all things composed at least partially of wheat", then apple pies would be supernatural.

Because it SOUNDS important you're putting attaching a certain psychological expectation that only a very select group will qualify as "supernatural". However, depending on the philosophical outlook of the group, the word can be attached to very mundane things.

Messing up my name on purpose... any particular reason to do that, other then a vain attempt to annoy me?

snex

Smash Master
Just so we get that out of the way. Nothingness both lacks contradictions and is logically ordered, it is intelligible. Therefore it is coherent.
"nothingness" is intelligible, but what you said is not. the sentence "what does yellow taste like?" is grammatically correct, but it is unintelligible. it is making a category error by assigning a quality to something that, by definition, cannot be assigned to it.

No, they don't. They bend time.
in the frame of reference to a person outside of a black hole, an object falling into it will never actually be observed to fall in. it will just get closer and closer to the event horizon.

Regardless, if they did "lack time", yeah, under this definition, why not?
because the point of rigorous definitions is to include all cases that in common parlance apply, and to exclude all cases that in common parlance dont apply. if "supernatural" objects include black holes and apple pies, then the word is superfluous. when the word "supernatural" is used, it is generally meant to apply to gods. any use of the term that excludes gods, or that includes things we think of as "natural" is a misuse.

Messing up my name on purpose... any particular reason to do that, other then a vain attempt to annoy me?
when i quote multiple people, i write the quote tags myself. your name is long and impossible to write from memory.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
"nothingness" is intelligible, but what you said is not. the sentence "what does yellow taste like?" is grammatically correct, but it is unintelligible. it is making a category error by assigning a quality to something that, by definition, cannot be assigned to it.
But nothing was assigned the quality, I merely mentioned the quality itself, therefore no category error.

in the frame of reference to a person outside of a black hole, an object falling into it will never actually be observed to fall in. it will just get closer and closer to the event horizon.
That's not non-linear, it's bent, specifically to the point that it approaches asymptotically.

because the point of rigorous definitions is to include all cases that in common parlance apply, and to exclude all cases that in common parlance dont apply. if "supernatural" objects include black holes and apple pies, then the word is superfluous. when the word "supernatural" is used, it is generally meant to apply to gods. any use of the term that excludes gods, or that includes things we think of as "natural" is a misuse.
But we're talking about common parlance within a group. Depending on the philosophical group, in common parlance, Black Holes or Apple Pie might be considered supernatural.

The former is probably included by a rather large number of groups actually.

Oh, and superfluous=/= not coherent.

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure I would classify a black hole as supernatural. And no one responded to my post saying that this entire tangent means nothing. It's a silly cop-out.

snex

Smash Master
But nothing was assigned the quality, I merely mentioned the quality itself, therefore no category error.
but you did assign the quality. you assigned it to hypothetical objects that we should label "supernatural."

That's not non-linear, it's bent, specifically to the point that it approaches asymptotically.
it is non-linear for the exact reason you mention - an asymptote stretched to infinity ceases to go anywhere.

in any case, i dont think you are using "linear" correctly. "linear" means "in a line." if something is "non-linear" with respect to time, then it is not "in a line" with time. but what the heck is that supposed to mean?

But we're talking about common parlance within a group. Depending on the philosophical group, in common parlance, Black Holes or Apple Pie might be considered supernatural.

The former is probably included by a rather large number of groups actually.

Oh, and superfluous=/= not coherent.
superfluous = wrong. if your definition doesnt actually define anything, then its not even worth discussing. youre just trying to pull a cheap rhetorical trick here. i ask for a coherent definition of "supernatural" and youre giving me a coherent definition of "bread" and asserting its the same. i didnt ask for definitions of bread. i asked for definitions of supernatural. therefore, you are constrained to include only things that are commonly thought of as supernatural (gods, etc) and to exclude things that are not (apple pies, etc). have you ever noticed that these stupid games are only played when dealing with theists? you never catch a scientist trying to sneak away with redefining terms mid-argument just so those terms have meaning. why is that?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
but you did assign the quality. you assigned it to hypothetical objects that we should label "supernatural."
Not necessarily objects, anything.

it is non-linear for the exact reason you mention - an asymptote stretched to infinity ceases to go anywhere.
No, it's always moving closing to the asymptote, just by smaller and smaller amounts. It doesn't cease to go anywhere.

in any case, i dont think you are using "linear" correctly. "linear" means "in a line." if something is "non-linear" with respect to time, then it is not "in a line" with time. but what the heck is that supposed to mean?
In standard time, cause precedes effect.

Non-linear refers to a lack of this standard cause-effect relationship. In other words, instead of occurring on a timeline, it's all clustered on a single point.

superfluous = wrong. if your definition doesnt actually define anything, then its not even worth discussing. youre just trying to pull a cheap rhetorical trick here. i ask for a coherent definition of "supernatural" and youre giving me a coherent definition of "bread" and asserting its the same. i didnt ask for definitions of bread. i asked for definitions of supernatural. therefore, you are constrained to include only things that are commonly thought of as supernatural (gods, etc) and to exclude things that are not (apple pies, etc).
This is only considered a cheap rhetorical trick by you because you don't know how to beat it logically.

The fact is, some things ARE relative, and in this case both "natural" and "supernatural" are relative to the group in question.

The apple pie example was an extreme example to point this out.

What you would consider supernatural is not necessarily what other people would consider supernatural, and therefore a different rigorous definition is needed to define it.

For example, naturalists would define natural as "all that exists", whereas supernatural would be "all that doesn't exist".

As for superfluous = wrong, I'm not suggesting that my definition is superfluous, I'm only pointing out that your challenge didn't bother to include that criteria.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure I would classify a black hole as supernatural. And no one responded to my post saying that this entire tangent means nothing. It's a silly cop-out.
Wait, what? How so? What's wrong with black holes? They're cool and all, but perfectly "natural" for sure.

"Supernatural" doesn't really have a good meaning. Just look at the Wikipedia page for it, and you see why.

First off, there are competing definitions for what exactly "supernatural" means. It can mean just "something not yet explained by ordinary science", which is a pretty mundane definition. And certainly not the kind that we're getting at.

What we're trying to say is something along the lines of "in another plane of existence" from ordinary natural objects. These "supernatural" objects and beings would thus not be inhibited by natural laws. Well, that's fine and good, but you cannot then in the same breath tell me that these supernatural beings and objects interact with the natural world. The natural world obeys natural laws, even if there WERE "supernatural" beings or objects, they would not be able to interact with our world in any way.

Thus making the existence of supernatural beings or objects unfalsifiable, and consequently non-scientific.

snex

Smash Master
Not necessarily objects, anything.
any given thing is always an object.

Non-linear refers to a lack of this standard cause-effect relationship. In other words, instead of occurring on a timeline, it's all clustered on a single point.
and this is supposed to mean what? what does it mean for an object to have this quality?

This is only considered a cheap rhetorical trick by you because you don't know how to beat it logically.
no, its a cheap rhetorical trick because it evades my challenge while still trying to maintain the appearance of having met it. my challenge was for a coherent definition of "supernatural" to be offered. you offered a coherent definition of "bread" and simply asserted that the two were equivalent.

What you would consider supernatural is not necessarily what other people would consider supernatural, and therefore a different rigorous definition is needed to define it.

For example, naturalists would define natural as "all that exists", whereas supernatural would be "all that doesn't exist".
"all that exists" is the only sensible definition of "natural" - which is why a coherent definition of "supernatural" is not possible. how can something exist and yet not be natural?

As for superfluous = wrong, I'm not suggesting that my definition is superfluous, I'm only pointing out that your challenge didn't bother to include that criteria.
my challenge also didnt bother to include the criteria of you using intelligible words, yet you assumed to do so. strange then that you didnt also assume that your response to the challenge didnt assume that it had to actually be relevant to the challenge.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
philly, PA, aim: blazedaces, msg me and we'll play
No, it's always moving closing to the asymptote, just by smaller and smaller amounts. It doesn't cease to go anywhere.

Linearity is a well defined mathematical concept. There is nothing about a "standard cause-effect relationship". This is more rhetorical garbage aimed to confuse the issue.

Asymptotes can be linear, but the way we interpret physics when it comes to black holes is by no means linear.

-blazed

RDK

Smash Hero
What we're trying to say is something along the lines of "in another plane of existence" from ordinary natural objects. These "supernatural" objects and beings would thus not be inhibited by natural laws. Well, that's fine and good, but you cannot then in the same breath tell me that these supernatural beings and objects interact with the natural world. The natural world obeys natural laws, even if there WERE "supernatural" beings or objects, they would not be able to interact with our world in any way.

Thus making the existence of supernatural beings or objects unfalsifiable, and consequently non-scientific.
Which brings us back to the meaning of supernatural, whose definition sounds alarmingly like that of the applications of religious theories in terms of science. Unfalsifiable and non-scientific.

Quicksand

Smash Apprentice
Since I took so long to respond to snex, I'll just keep the topic on track and tie in my response since it relates to the current topic anyways.

Yes, things that are supernatural are unscientific since we have absolutely no way of reliably measuring the supernatural since by definition, science can only measure natural things, and something supernatural (without going too deep into a semantical argument) would be outside of nature. That having been said, intelligent design is not intrinsic to supernatural origins, only ones that require causation.

The theory of evolution and common descent have absolutely nothing to do with Darwinism (scientific naturalism) or intelligent design, keep this in mind. Because of this, either intelligent design is falsifiable, or Darwinism is not. And I'll say this again, because they are two opposite conclusions drawn from the same question.

When you see that intelligent design is not an all encompassing be all to end all consummation, we are able to see that it can be falsified, because for it to be scientific, we must apply boundaries to it and keep it in it's box so that, as you said, we can't just feign ignorance or divine will to keep the theory alive.

So, the only question ID asks is "is there discernible teleology in our world?" We are able to apply design in the biological world because we already know exactly what causation entails because we ourselves are creatures with intelligence and the ability to create. On the other hand, ID is falsified when it is shown that naturalism is able to produce structures that are irreducibly complex - because the only prediction that ID can make is through complexity. We are unable to claim any other forces in effect because for ID to remain scientific, we must place boundaries on the predictions and outcomes it has.

snex

Smash Master
you are still making the same false dichotomy.

first of all, you are misusing the term "darwinism" and you need to stop doing this if you want to be taken seriously.

secondly, you still havent shown that ID is falsifiable. the only falsifiable thing here is the idea of irreducible complexity. you have not logically connected IC to ID, and neither has behe or anybody else.

AIDS

Smash Lord
Which brings us back to the meaning of supernatural, whose definition sounds alarmingly like that of the applications of religious theories in terms of science. Unfalsifiable and non-scientific.
My Chem teacher is christian. Also Science does not prove God Wrong.

snex

Smash Master
My Chem teacher is christian. Also Science does not prove God Wrong.
ask your chem teacher why no matter how hard he prays, acid mixed with alkaline still makes water. if god exists, he can make them stay separate.

AIDS

Smash Lord
ask your chem teacher why no matter how hard he prays, acid mixed with alkaline still makes water. if god exists, he can make them stay separate.
True, but the bible also says not to test the Lord, and chemicals are still God's creation.
...so?

and nothing can prove god wrong. that's what's wrong with it
yes, so why do you say you KNOW it is wrong? you have no proof. I have seen things personally that prove Gods existence. But those are mine, and if I convince you God exist, then you would be religous, you wouldn't have an encounter with God. So I can't really argue my side as well.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
yes, so why do you say you KNOW it is wrong? you have no proof. I have seen things personally that prove Gods existence. But those are mine, and if I convince you God exist, then you would be religous, you wouldn't have an encounter with God. So I can't really argue my side as well.
i never said that. and what have you seen that proves god's existence? but you are right, you can't argue your side well. no theist can.

AIDS

Smash Lord
i never said that. and what have you seen that proves god's existence? but you are right, you can't argue your side well. no theist can.
That is very Bias, I have seen blind healed is an example, but as I said, I can't force you into something, and take a look around at this plannet, and tell me there is not an artist? we over look so much, and hard core scientist know how balanced it and perfect it is.

Also many things in the prophet of Isaiah tell a lot about the life of christ, 792 years before he was born. About his birth, life, death, and everything in between. So I can understand why people believe in God.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
That is very Bias, I have seen blind healed is an example, but as I said, I can't force you into something, and take a look around at this plannet, and tell me there is not an artist? we over look so much, and hard core scientist know how balanced it and perfect it is.
how do you know the person was even blind, and if he was, how do you know he was healed?

"the earth looks pretty to me so it must have been created by a god" does not make logical sense in the slightest, not like the world is even close to being perfect anyways. and any hardcore scientist is atheist

Also many things in the prophet of Isaiah tell a lot about the life of christ, 792 years before he was born. About his birth, life, death, and everything in between. So I can understand why people believe in God.
where's the evidence for any of this?

snex

Smash Master
True, but the bible also says not to test the Lord, and chemicals are still God's creation.
if we arent to test the lord, then what did your blind person do? did he not pray for healing? how is that not testing the lord?

contact james randi and you can win one million dollars if you prove that this blind man was healed. just think of how many starving children you could feed with that money.

how come the jews who wrote the book of isaiah say that jesus did not fulfill those prophecies? they would know better than anybody, since its their book. have you ever bothered READING the entire book, end to end? many of the so-called "prophecies" are not even messianic, many can be interpreted to apply to almost any popular historical person, and many could have easily been fudged upon by the gospel writers. when matthew writes that jesus did something in accordance with a prophecy, how do you know matthew wasnt just writing that to make it look like the prophecy came true? i await your evidence.

RDK

Smash Hero

The world is FAR from perfect and balanced--I have no idea where you got this from.

Did you ever wonder why God created carnivores in the first place? Doesn't it say in the Bible that all the animals started out as vegetarians? I find it hard to believe that animals like sharks, lions, the velociraptor, etc. all ate veggies before sin came into the picture. If the world was so "perfect" before sin, why make all the nasty animals we have today?

Your screen name also reminds of something. Can you explain why the AIDS virus exists? Did God create that too? He seems to have a knack for creating things that only cause pain, suffering, and distruction. Evolution solves all of this.

By the time it takes you to finish reading this post, a million animals (including humans) all over the world are dying in unimaginable ways. Some are being eaten alive by a predator. Some are wasting away because of some terrible disease. Some are running for their lives or hiding from an animal that was supposedly "created" to devour it.

Tell me how this fits in with your view of a perfect God.

Quicksand

Smash Apprentice
you are still making the same false dichotomy.
It's not a false dichotomy because I allow for all other explanations when I leave open any definitions that would like to enter when I say "or there isn't". Either teleology exists in biological organisms, or it doesn't. If there is a third possibility, I'd like to know it.

first of all, you are misusing the term "darwinism" and you need to stop doing this if you want to be taken seriously.
I'm not using it pejoratively. I hear atheists and theists alike (even Richard Dawkins) refer to it as scientific naturalism. I'll refrain from using it if it really makes you that uncomfortable. :dizzy:

secondly, you still havent shown that ID is falsifiable. the only falsifiable thing here is the idea of irreducible complexity. you have not logically connected IC to ID, and neither has behe or anybody else.
As I said, ID would be unfalsifiable if we were to not place boundaries upon it (just as scientific naturalism would be unfalsifiable if one kept making the claim through ignorance of evolutionary pathways). While you could still place anthropic arguments against it, ID would be falsified in biology when irreducible complexity becomes falsified because the only positive way we have of measuring teleology is through complexity since complexity through causation is something we as humans exhibit and are able to scrutinize because of our familiarity with it.

RDK said:
Did you ever wonder why God created carnivores in the first place? Doesn't it say in the Bible that all the animals started out as vegetarians? I find it hard to believe that animals like sharks, lions, the velociraptor, etc. all ate veggies before sin came into the picture. If the world was so "perfect" before sin, why make all the nasty animals we have today?
No, the Bible does not say that. The very basis of the Bible is that living things are in a state of disarray due to Adamic sin, therefore things like AIDS and mosquitoes are not current in their intended order. Things that may seem inherent to suffering are not necessarily evil, just not under the correct control.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
As I said, ID would be unfalsifiable if we were to not place boundaries upon it (just as scientific naturalism would be unfalsifiable if one kept making the claim through ignorance of evolutionary pathways). While you could still place anthropic arguments against it, ID would be falsified in biology when irreducible complexity becomes falsified because the only positive way we have of measuring teleology is through complexity since complexity through causation is something we as humans exhibit and are able to scrutinize because of our familiarity with it.
Could you precisely define Teleology for me? More specifically, how we could concretely determine whether an object possesses it or not? I I give you an object and say "Does this possess Teleology?" How would you go about answering the question? What criteria would you use?

Let me just make sure I'm understanding your position clearly...

1) In a world with Intelligent Design, the world will "appear to have been designed" (Possess Teleology)
2) Therefore, we can falsify ID with the contrapositive of 1, namely: If the world does not "appear to have been designed" (Possess Teleology), then the world has not been Intelligently Designed.

Is this your position?

snex

Smash Master
It's not a false dichotomy because I allow for all other explanations when I leave open any definitions that would like to enter when I say "or there isn't". Either teleology exists in biological organisms, or it doesn't. If there is a third possibility, I'd like to know it.
but thats not your argument. your argument is: "if evolution cant explain it, then ID is correct."

ID indeed does have no boundaries on it. an unspecified intelligent agent with unspecified powers can do pretty much anything it wants.

you still havent logically connected irreducible complexity to ID. yes, we know that intelligent agents (humans) create things that are irreducibly complex. so what? thats ONE possible mechanism. if you want ID to be science, you have to take the next step and start TESTING it. so far, your only "tests" amount to "sit there and see if it happens on its own. if not, ID must be the right answer."

that is NOT how science works.

RDK

Smash Hero
Basically all examples for irreducible complexity used by creationists are some sort of mousetrap or other man-made device. It makes one wonder why they never actually use any examplies IN NATURE.

Here's a quote from an internet site about ID that caught my attention:

By way of analogy, consider a chess board well into the game. Is it a product of intelligent design? The pieces might very well look randomly arrayed, although a skilled player could easily spot that some arrangements cannot be achieved in normal play. For example, one side cannot lack a king, or have a pawn in its own back row. There is a checkmate position involving a king and two knights against a lone king, but it cannot be achieved in normal play (the lone king can always evade checkmate). But there would be many positions that are ambiguous. For every masterful position a believer in design cites as clear evidence of intelligence, the skeptic cites one with two passed pawns. The believer in design suggests that some positions are artificially created as problems; the skeptic accuses him of creating ad hoc excuses to avoid acknowledging failures of the design hypothesis. The believer in design argues the pieces are clearly of intelligent manufacture; the skeptic notes that seashells are even more intricate and are wholly natural. The believer in design points to the geometric regularity of the board; the skeptic cites crystals and honeycombs as equally regular but natural structures.

AIDS

Smash Lord
how do you know the person was even blind, and if he was, how do you know he was healed?

"the earth looks pretty to me so it must have been created by a god" does not make logical sense in the slightest, not like the world is even close to being perfect anyways. and any hardcore scientist is atheist

where's the evidence for any of this?
Can you prove to me that all "hard core" scientist are athiest?

and I suppose these people waist a huge portion of there life pretending to be blind until they are like "lets be cool and open our eyes for the first time!" in church? That is an odd way to look at things.

AIDS

Smash Lord
if we arent to test the lord, then what did your blind person do? did he not pray for healing? how is that not testing the lord?

Because they did it in pure faith, not testing, putting something on the line. They did not use it for testing purposes.

contact james randi and you can win one million dollars if you prove that this blind man was healed. just think of how many starving children you could feed with that money.

this is more like testing.....

how come the jews who wrote the book of isaiah say that jesus did not fulfill those prophecies? they would know better than anybody, since its their book. have you ever bothered READING the entire book, end to end? many of the so-called "prophecies" are not even messianic, many can be interpreted to apply to almost any popular historical person, and many could have easily been fudged upon by the gospel writers. when matthew writes that jesus did something in accordance with a prophecy, how do you know matthew wasnt just writing that to make it look like the prophecy came true? i await your evidence.
The jews I do not understand these days, ask them. But I know many jewish people where converted to christians, it is how it christianity started. But they do point to Jesus, you would be a fool to say otherwise. Isaiah points to Isreal, How he was born of a virgin, how he dies, and differant areas of his life. To argue it, I don't understand, it is clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom