• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Can Anyone Believe in God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Look at all the wackos that had cult followings just in the past 100 or so years. Just because somebody tells you to believe in them doesn't mean you should.
No I agree with you on that people of all ages still choose what they think. well it is more likly for anyone in any fath to have kids be raised in that faith, he was saying that, that is how religion is formed and even though at some point people have to choose for them selfs, thats how people break off of any other family ideas or church. If we all did and thought how or familys thought then there would be a universal idea of some kind of God or lack of God.

I think you should choose for you self how you think and none of that " my family has been _____ for __ generations I can't change that now" for fear of not being excepted or and sort of family hate. Maby its just that I live in Utah and have seen people who think that they can't leave there faith for fear of not being excepted by the whole.

RDK

Smash Hero
No I agree with you on that people of all ages still choose what they think. well it is more likly for anyone in any fath to have kids be raised in that faith, he was saying that, that is how religion is formed and even though at some point people have to choose for them selfs, thats how people break off of any other family ideas or church. If we all did and thought how or familys thought then there would be a universal idea of some kind of God or lack of God.

I think you should choose for you self how you think and none of that " my family has been _____ for __ generations I can't change that now" for fear of not being excepted or and sort of family hate. Maby its just that I live in Utah and have seen people who think that they can't leave there faith for fear of not being excepted by the whole.
Yes, but a lot of times these people are indoctrinated as children and grow up never learning to hear the other side of the argument or are unable to use critical thinking skills. They just never question it because that's how they're brought up to think.

soooo how bout dat dwyp thread lolz
Working on it. :D

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Yes, but a lot of times these people are indoctrinated as children and grow up never learning to hear the other side of the argument or are unable to use critical thinking skills. They just never question it because that's how they're brought up to think.

I know that and have seen that in my life aswell with my friends families, when asked if it would shake her beliefs on God if a human was cloned, she replied "God would never let a person be cloned" and wouldn't even consider the other the "what if". But how his post was worded it sounded like he was saying thats how/why people who belief in God still do and it come off as unchanging.

Anyway, my opinion on it is (because I don't know if I've said it yet), that people can believe in god because religious parents have been telling them that since day 1. It's just like slavery. The salvedrivers yelled at you and told you that you were scum and dirt, and eventually, you start to believe it, if it's since the day you were born.
It sounds like it to me if you read the above quote.

KMB23

Smash Journeyman
i attended catholic school for 10 years, and i go to church every sunday. i don't believe any of it.
my parents are both really into the church.. the main reason i hate religion is because my parents force me to go to church, pray, etc, even though they KNOW that i don't agree with it. i feel like that's how it all started. people wanted power, so they made all this bull. they got stupid people to follow them, by promising them all these false things. then after thousands of years, people still follow, just because it's been around so long.

i have no reason to believe in god. i am a very happy person, and i think i've become even happier since i gave up believing in this crap (about 4 years ago).

KMB23

Smash Journeyman
not really, i'm saying i see no downside in not believing, at least for me.

Grandeza

Smash Master
i have no reason to believe in god. i am a very happy person, and i think i've become even happier since i gave up believing in this crap (about 4 years ago).
This surprises me. In what way did you become happier by giving up on believing in god. I just can't think of a way to become happier.

KMB23

Smash Journeyman
yeah, you are.

this is what i'm saying:
i LIKE not believing. i am happier now that i feel like i can think what i want and do what i want without upsetting some superior being who will send me to eternal suffering.

RDK

Smash Hero
This surprises me. In what way did you become happier by giving up on believing in god. I just can't think of a way to become happier.
This is your opinion, and not everybody shares it. Happiness is not universal. What may be a source of joy for you (I.E., believing in an imaginary friend who will get you to heaven for eternity and having to sit through hour-long sermons every Sunday) may be torture to somebody else.

marthanoob

Smash Journeyman
yeah, you are.
Sorry about that.

this is what i'm saying:
i LIKE not believing. i am happier now that i feel like i can think what i want and do what i want without upsetting some superior being who will send me to eternal suffering.
I hope that your decision is not fundamentally based on how the result of that decision makes you feel.
I hope that your belief in the evidence you find against the existence of God is not rooted in a confirmation bias.

KMB23

Smash Journeyman
I hope that your decision is not fundamentally based on how the result of that decision makes you feel.
I hope that your belief in the evidence you find against the existence of God is not rooted in a confirmation bias.
i don't believe in god because i don't believe he exists. it's as simple as that.

but i AM happy that i gave up christianity. it's all about controlling people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom