• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Can Anyone Believe in God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
philly, PA, aim: blazedaces, msg me and we'll play
I say that a flagellum cannot be produced by a combination of natural selection and mutation, therefore it must have needed causation. Now all you have to do is take a bacteria without a flagellum or destroy the genes that grow the flagellum then go into your lab and grow that bacteria for a really long time and/also subject different groups of that bacterium to different hypothetical environments, then see if it is able to grow anything resembling a flagellum. If the bacteria does, then ID's claim that a flagellum must be designed is falsified.
Undeniable proof (an article written by William Dembski himself) that the flagellum can easily be produced by natural selection: http://www.uncommondescent.com/darwinism/okay-i-was-wrong-the-flagellum-did-evolve-after-all/

Admit that ID is falsified or admit it's not scientific.

-blazed

snex

Smash Master
We know that natural selection exists to some extent, it just can't result in irreducibly complex systems.
no, we dont "know" that. in fact we know the exact opposite. natural selection can and does result in IC systems. there are several ways that this can happen. one is scaffolding. a past system may have been larger, such that not all parts were necessary. evolution later removed the unnecessary parts leaving only the necessary ones. another such process would be co-adaptation. this is when two systems that dont rely on each other help each other out, and selection increases their reliance to each other over time. another such process is change of function, where a system does one thing in which it is not IC, but then starts doing something else in which it is. all three of these can happen by natural selection.

Lol @ "lack of intellectual honesty". How is me using the term Darwinism (not my term) an attack on evolution? Darwinism is just a term for the naturalistic outlook of the origins of life. There isn't anything negative about it.
youre using a term that anti-scientific fundamentalist whacktards use. you arent using a proper scientific term. if you want to debate science, use scientific terms.

And this is exactly why Darwinism is immune from evidence against it.
wtf are you smoking and where can i get some? this has nothing to do with falsifying evolution because evolution does not rely on knocking down hypothetical competing hypotheses. evolution stands on the positive evidence gleaned from the logical implications of its key ideas.

evolution for example does not say "if evolution is true, we should never see aliens beaming down new species. we dont see aliens beaming down new species, therefore evolution is true."

evolution says "if common descent is true, then we should be able to independently arrive at the same phylogenetic tree of life no matter what group of characters we examine. we do independently arrive at the same phylogenetic tree of life no matter what group of characters we examine, therefore this is evidence that common descent is true."

ID has no such similar statements, because if ID is true, you CANNOT EXPECT ANYTHING!

Considering it produced fully formed versions of virtually every known phyla today in a few million years (which is lightning fast by evolutionary standards), isn't really even the point. It's more so the fact that there are no evolutionary sequences between them, they all appear simultaneously.
do you even know what you are talking about here, or are you just parroting something you read on a creationist website? the apparent diversity in the cambrian explosion is no more than the explosion of diversity after the KT meteor.

do you even know what a phylum is? do you know what actual fossils can be found in the cambrian strata? do you know what conditions are conducive to fossils forming, and do you know the geology of cambrian rocks? please, enlighten us.

Such as...?
here are 29 key experiments with potential falsifications that you can do with JUST common descent. can you present any such list for ID? betcha cant.

Then I shall give you a following experiment to perform based on a claim I have made:

I say that a flagellum cannot be produced by a combination of natural selection and mutation, therefore it must have needed causation. Now all you have to do is take a bacteria without a flagellum or destroy the genes that grow the flagellum then go into your lab and grow that bacteria for a really long time and/also subject different groups of that bacterium to different hypothetical environments, then see if it is able to grow anything resembling a flagellum. If the bacteria does, then ID's claim that a flagellum must be designed is falsified.
what is a "really long time?" how do you determine how long you should wait? lets see some actual science from you. what if i wait a million years and nothing happens? does that prove ID? but if i waited a million and one years, maybe it would have happened. you dont know because you gave up after only a million.

you just dont get it. waiting a long time for evolution to do something, and then having it not happen is NOT evidence that ID is true. evidence for ID being true would be defining how ID works and then looking for markers that those processes are what happened. but you know you cant do that because ID isnt predictable. and if it isnt predictable, then it isnt falsifiable. and if it isnt falsifiable, it aint science.

snex

Smash Master
Undeniable proof (an article written by William Dembski himself) that the flagellum can easily be produced by natural selection: http://www.uncommondescent.com/darwinism/okay-i-was-wrong-the-flagellum-did-evolve-after-all/

-blazed
im pretty sure thats a joke post. the IDiots are so wedded to the idea that the flagellum couldnt evolve that they would deny it even if you did evolve it in a tightly controlled lab experiment.

Quicksand

Smash Apprentice

-blazed
EPIC FAIL for not realizing that the blog post you just linked me to is a joke.

snex said:
no, we dont "know" that. in fact we know the exact opposite. natural selection can and does result in IC systems. there are several ways that this can happen. one is scaffolding. a past system may have been larger, such that not all parts were necessary. evolution later removed the unnecessary parts leaving only the necessary ones. another such process would be co-adaptation. this is when two systems that dont rely on each other help each other out, and selection increases their reliance to each other over time. another such process is change of function, where a system does one thing in which it is not IC, but then starts doing something else in which it is. all three of these can happen by natural selection.
Can I have a peer-reviewed article explaining any IC system that evolved?

snex said:
ID has no such similar statements, because if ID is true, you CANNOT EXPECT ANYTHING!
If ID is true, then we can expect to find things that are designed.

do you even know what you are talking about here, or are you just parroting something you read on a creationist website? the apparent diversity in the cambrian explosion is no more than the explosion of diversity after the KT meteor.

do you even know what a phylum is? do you know what actual fossils can be found in the cambrian strata? do you know what conditions are conducive to fossils forming, and do you know the geology of cambrian rocks? please, enlighten us.
I know probably about as much as you know from taking talk.origins as your gospel.

here are 29 key experiments with potential falsifications that you can do with JUST common descent. can you present any such list for ID? betcha cant.
And how does disproving anyone of those experiments falsify common descent? They don't.

Unlike Darwinism (excuse me, a "naturalistic world view of our biological realm"), ID only requires one experiment to totally falsify it on a biological level; and that is show that any one irreducibly complex system can evolve naturally. Once one is shown, we know it is in the realm of reasonableness to assume that many others could, then a sufficient model can be developed.

what is a "really long time?" how do you determine how long you should wait? lets see some actual science from you. what if i wait a million years and nothing happens? does that prove ID? but if i waited a million and one years, maybe it would have happened. you dont know because you gave up after only a million.

you just dont get it. waiting a long time for evolution to do something, and then having it not happen is NOT evidence that ID is true. evidence for ID being true would be defining how ID works and then looking for markers that those processes are what happened. but you know you cant do that because ID isnt predictable. and if it isnt predictable, then it isnt falsifiable. and if it isnt falsifiable, it aint science.
I never said it proved ID, I said it the experiment would disprove ID.

snex

Smash Master
Can I have a peer-reviewed article explaining any IC system that evolved?

the evolution of the mammalian inner ear is shown by fossils. its quite well described in the article i posted (but you clearly failed to read), with numerous references to the peer reviewed studies.

the mammalian inner ear consists of three bones - remove any one and you cant hear. yet the fossil data clearly shows what happened. it was a combination of co-adaptation and change of function. i notice you never addressed the three mechanisms i listed that can lead to IC structures. wonder why that is?

If ID is true, then we can expect to find things that are designed.
this doesnt even make sense. how can you tell a "designed" object from a "non-designed" object? give us a scientific experiment we can perform.

and even this is not true. if ID is true, we still might only find "non-designed-looking" objects. maybe the designer enjoys making rocks.

I know probably about as much as you know from taking talk.origins as your gospel.
i notice you failed to give an answer. if you cant back up your side, stop posting. you are wasting everyone's time. since you all but admit to being totally ignorant about the cambrian explosion, what makes you think you are in any position to critique it?

And how does disproving anyone of those experiments falsify common descent? They don't.
are you ********? the falsifications are listed right in the article. i know you couldnt have possibly read the entire thing in the short time between my post and yours, so you are just showing what a dishonest turd you are. READ the freaking thing before you claim its wrong.

Unlike Darwinism (excuse me, a "naturalistic world view of our biological realm"), ID only requires one experiment to totally falsify it on a biological level; and that is show that any one irreducibly complex system can evolve naturally. Once one is shown, we know it is in the realm of reasonableness to assume that many others could, then a sufficient model can be developed.
you are full of **** and you know it. if a flagellum evolved in a test tube tomorrow, you would just move on to some other unsolved problem in science and then say the designer did THAT. youve already been given the example of the mammalian inner ear, an IC structure with a plausible evolution pathway demonstrated by real actual fossils. so will you give up your stupid claim? of course you wont. youll just spin.

I never said it proved ID, I said it the experiment would disprove ID.
no it wouldnt. how would you prove the designer didnt make that flagellum appear in your test tube bacteria? since you claim he did it once, why couldnt he do it again? once again, ID is unfalsifiable. you can claim the designer did anything, because anything is consistent with a designer.

give me one potential observation that is inconsistent with a supernatural intelligent agency. if you cant, admit the idea is unscientific.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Other inherent contradictions in Intelligent Design:

1) A supernatural being influencing the world violates causality.

2) The word supernatural doesn't even have a coherent meaning. Much less a supernatural being.

Quicksand

Smash Apprentice
the evolution of the mammalian inner ear is shown by fossils. its quite well described in the article i posted (but you clearly failed to read), with numerous references to the peer reviewed studies.

the mammalian inner ear consists of three bones - remove any one and you cant hear. yet the fossil data clearly shows what happened. it was a combination of co-adaptation and change of function. i notice you never addressed the three mechanisms i listed that can lead to IC structures. wonder why that is?
Because they aren't worth noting and are nothing more than speculation that begs the question.

this doesnt even make sense. how can you tell a "designed" object from a "non-designed" object? give us a scientific experiment we can perform.
I already did.

and even this is not true. if ID is true, we still might only find "non-designed-looking" objects. maybe the designer enjoys making rocks.
Rocks don't come out of thin air. :bee:

i notice you failed to give an answer. if you cant back up your side, stop posting. you are wasting everyone's time. since you all but admit to being totally ignorant about the cambrian explosion, what makes you think you are in any position to critique it?
I didn't give you an answer because your doing nothing more than baiting me away from the main topic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambrian_explosion

"he long-running puzzlement about the appearance of the Cambrian fauna, seemingly abruptly and from nowhere, centers on three key points: whether there really was a mass diversification of complex organisms over a relatively short period of time during the early Cambrian; what might have caused such rapid evolution; and what it would imply about the origin and evolution of animals."

are you ********? the falsifications are listed right in the article. i know you couldnt have possibly read the entire thing in the short time between my post and yours, so you are just showing what a dishonest turd you are. READ the freaking thing before you claim its wrong.
Since spouting insults is your primary ammunition in this debate, I don't feel bad saying this: you have the reading comprehension of a 3 year old. I never said that those experiments couldn't be falsified, I said that any one of them doesn't falsify the concept because there are other possibilities to be considered.

you are full of **** and you know it. if a flagellum evolved in a test tube tomorrow, you would just move on to some other unsolved problem in science and then say the designer did THAT. youve already been given the example of the mammalian inner ear, an IC structure with a plausible evolution pathway demonstrated by real actual fossils. so will you give up your stupid claim? of course you wont. youll just spin.
Oh, so another of many in your repertoire of talents is psychic powers and assuming peoples motives?

no it wouldnt. how would you prove the designer didnt make that flagellum appear in your test tube bacteria? since you claim he did it once, why couldnt he do it again? once again, ID is unfalsifiable. you can claim the designer did anything, because anything is consistent with a designer.
Overlooking the ludicrous assertion that our first assumption would be supernatural intervention, it would still serve as falsification since we would be able to see exactly how it would evolve, then assess whether or not naturalistic forces could result in it.

give me one potential observation that is inconsistent with a supernatural intelligent agency. if you cant, admit the idea is unscientific.
It's not a matter of inconsistency, it's a matter of whether or not causation needs to be brought into the equation. If it's shown that causation isn't needed, then there's no reason to assume that there was any.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Overlooking the ludicrous assertion that our first assumption would be supernatural intervention, it would still serve as falsification since we would be able to see exactly how it would evolve, then assess whether or not naturalistic forces could result in it.
What if the so called designer then, were to force the flagellum to evolve in a way that for all our science could tell was completely the result of naturalistic forces. Essentially this creator made the process of mutation within our specimen a little bit less than random, of course we could never know for sure, since he might not do it the next time we try to verify the experiment. There is so much power in the hands of this totally ambiguous creator that NOTHING we do can prove he didnt play a part. And at that point we have something that cannot be tested and proven false.

As far as it goes our discovery of the designer is entirely up to the designers choice alone, not ours. Nothing we do can prove he exists unless he already screwed up in his attempt to design things so we cant find out he is the one designing them, but then again, maybe its within his limits to fix those mistakes so we can never find out.

snex

Smash Master
Because they aren't worth noting and are nothing more than speculation that begs the question.
in other words, you just ignore the evidence. they are not speculation or question begging. even if those fossils arent actually ancestors or even evolutionary transitions at all, they show a plausible pathway to build an IC structure. thats all you needed, remember? you said that if it could be shown that it COULD happen, ID is falsified. the fossils show it COULD happen, and now you are moving the goalposts to demanding proof that it DID happen. typical dishonest bull****. you would engage in the same exact behavior if test tube flagella were grown.

I already did.
you did not. your alleged experiment wouldnt even fly in a 3rd grade science fair. "wait a really long time and then if the result didnt happen, intelligent design must be true" is not an experiment.

stop wasting everybody's time. give an experiment that will determine if a given object is designed or not.

Rocks don't come out of thin air.
neither do bacterial flagella, stupid.

I didn't give you an answer because your doing nothing more than baiting me away from the main topic.
you didnt give an answer because you know i called your bluff. youre full of **** and all you do is pull sound bytes from creationist websites. you have no actual knowledge of any of the data under discussion, and you have no interest in learning any of it. your only purpose here seems to be to preach your brand of ignorant snake-handling fundamentalist bull****.

this is the debate hall. debate or get out, your preaching isnt welcome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambrian_explosion

"he long-running puzzlement about the appearance of the Cambrian fauna, seemingly abruptly and from nowhere, centers on three key points: whether there really was a mass diversification of complex organisms over a relatively short period of time during the early Cambrian; what might have caused such rapid evolution; and what it would imply about the origin and evolution of animals."
and this is relevant how? for all we know, YOU could have written that. for somebody who demands peer reviewed papers, you sure seem reluctant to go find them yourself to back up your case.

ill ask again. do you know what a phylum even is? do you know anything about the fossils that are found in cambrian strata? do you know anything about the geology of the cambrian strata? do you know anything about what conditions are conducive to fossil formation?

Since spouting insults is your primary ammunition in this debate, I don't feel bad saying this: you have the reading comprehension of a 3 year old. I never said that those experiments couldn't be falsified, I said that any one of them doesn't falsify the concept because there are other possibilities to be considered.
lol, my "primary ammunition" in this debate has been owning you in both logic and facts. youd have to ride the short bus to think otherwise.

the article lists exactly how the experiments could falsify common descent. you STILL havent read it. why are you so afraid?

Oh, so another of many in your repertoire of talents is psychic powers and assuming peoples motives?
it must be - since you did exactly what i predicted when i brought up the mammalian inner ear.

assume that we could somehow meet your impossible standard of observation and see every single DNA replication event in the test tubes. lets say we see a mutation that causes flagella to start showing up. prove the designer didnt cause that mutation. oh, you cant, can you? design is unfalsifiable.

It's not a matter of inconsistency, it's a matter of whether or not causation needs to be brought into the equation. If it's shown that causation isn't needed, then there's no reason to assume that there was any.
inconsistency is exactly the heart of the matter. if no possible observation is inconsistent with your "theory," then your "theory" isnt scientific. get back to middle school where they teach this stuff.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
EPIC FAIL for not realizing that the blog post you just linked me to is a joke.
I'm sorry I overlooked something this ridiculous. I didn't expect it.

But honestly, Quicksand, grow up! We're trying to have a serious debate here, not a four year old pissing contest!

I've shown you plenty of evidence in the form of videos and written text proving that flagellum can easily evolve (in more then one theory) through natural causes. These theories are based on plenty of evidence (in the form of peer-reviewed-papers) and observations. At this moment, there is plenty of evidence that flagellum can evolve by natural causes.

As mentioned earlier, this is science, not "we make things up and you have to prove us wrong". If you want further evidence, YOU need to make an experiment that proves ID. The burden of proof is on YOU to try and show evidence that contradicts the widely accepted scientific truth.

You should admit that ID is falsified or unfalsifiable.

People have been throwing so much concrete evidence at you that contradicts your own claims of ID, yet you still hold on to your foolish belief. This is faith, it's not science!

-blazed

Quicksand

Smash Apprentice
in other words, you just ignore the evidence. they are not speculation or question begging. even if those fossils arent actually ancestors or even evolutionary transitions at all, they show a plausible pathway to build an IC structure. thats all you needed, remember? you said that if it could be shown that it COULD happen, ID is falsified. the fossils show it COULD happen, and now you are moving the goalposts to demanding proof that it DID happen. typical dishonest bull****. you would engage in the same exact behavior if test tube flagella were grown.
Well duh? We know that the inner ear evolved, the whole point is that it's impossible through merely natural selection and mutations alone.

you did not. your alleged experiment wouldnt even fly in a 3rd grade science fair. "wait a really long time and then if the result didnt happen, intelligent design must be true" is not an experiment.
Your reading comprehension fails again. I said that if it did happen, then it would falsify intelligent design. I never claimed if it didn't grow it would prove ID.

stop wasting everybody's time. give an experiment that will determine if a given object is designed or not.
Reverse engineer an irreducibly complex system and see if any of it's pre-existing parts served function or purpose in the earlier evolutionary stages. If it is discovered that it didn't then natural selection cannot select something worthless and therefore it must be concluded that causation is required

neither do bacterial flagella, stupid.
Exactly.

you didnt give an answer because you know i called your bluff. youre full of **** and all you do is pull sound bytes from creationist websites. you have no actual knowledge of any of the data under discussion, and you have no interest in learning any of it. your only purpose here seems to be to preach your brand of ignorant snake-handling fundamentalist bull****.
I decided to take your advice and I went out and finally found out what a phylum was. Wikipedia says "a phylum is a taxonomic rank at the level below Kingdom and above Class."

Glad that's cleared up, can we move on?

and this is relevant how? for all we know, YOU could have written that. for somebody who demands peer reviewed papers, you sure seem reluctant to go find them yourself to back up your case.
I guess I should dig up a peer-reviewed paper on the spherical nature of the Earth. I'm not the one who gave it the name "Cambrian Explosion".

ill ask again. do you know what a phylum even is? do you know anything about the fossils that are found in cambrian strata? do you know anything about the geology of the cambrian strata? do you know anything about what conditions are conducive to fossil formation?
wat is r fosil?

lol, my "primary ammunition" in this debate has been owning you in both logic and facts. youd have to ride the short bus to think otherwise.
Anyone who rides the short bus could defeat you in an argument of logic.

the article lists exactly how the experiments could falsify common descent. you STILL havent read it. why are you so afraid?
Any one of those theoretical experiments becoming falsified (which the article even refers to as "potential falsifications") doesn't falsify common descent.

assume that we could somehow meet your impossible standard of observation and see every single DNA replication event in the test tubes. lets say we see a mutation that causes flagella to start showing up. prove the designer didnt cause that mutation. oh, you cant, can you? design is unfalsifiable.
Are you claiming that God would be sitting there in the lab making the flagellum evolve?

Even though that's the most inane rebuttal I've ever heard, it would still be great because we could observe exactly what took place and then easily be able to see whether or not it could happen by naturalistic standards.

inconsistency is exactly the heart of the matter. if no possible observation is inconsistent with your "theory," then your "theory" isnt scientific. get back to middle school where they teach this stuff.
Which is exactly why if a flagellum evolved naturally, ID would be falsified. ID would then become "not science" exactly when I make it immune from any negative observations.

blazedaces said:
I'm sorry I overlooked something this ridiculous. I didn't expect it.

But honestly, Quicksand, grow up! We're trying to have a serious debate here, not a four year old pissing contest!
Maybe it's because you referred to a joke video as "undeniable proof" against ID. How could I let something that juicy slide?

As mentioned earlier, this is science, not "we make things up and you have to prove us wrong". If you want further evidence, YOU need to make an experiment that proves ID. The burden of proof is on YOU to try and show evidence that contradicts the widely accepted scientific truth.
Considering that 2/3rds of scientists believe in God, then I would say I'm not contradicting widely accepted scientific truth at all.

My claim that the flagellum needs causation to evolve isn't against the data (unless of course we some how find out that those 2/3rds of scientists are all Ken Miller).

It's the one's who don't believe in God who have logical loopholes to jump through, not the one's who do.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
Well duh? We know that the inner ear evolved, the whole point is that it's impossible through merely natural selection and mutations alone.
Despite the overwhelming amount of evidence showing otherwise?

Your reading comprehension fails again. I said that if it did happen, then it would falsify intelligent design. I never claimed if it didn't grow it would prove ID.
You're completely missing his point. The experiment is an awful idea that would never be approved. Go ahead and try to get scientists to entertain it even for a moment. You'll be laughed at...

Reverse engineer an irreducibly complex system and see if any of it's pre-existing parts served function or purpose in the earlier evolutionary stages. If it is discovered that it didn't then natural selection cannot select something worthless and therefore it must be concluded that causation is required
Hasn't snex argued against this a countless number of times by now? First he showed plenty of examples of so-called irreducibly complex systems that could easily have evolved through natural causes. Further more, he explained that even if evolution is found to be false, there are plenty of other viable theories out there. Disproving evolution does not prove ID. ID must prove itself! That's how science works!

Which is exactly why if a flagellum evolved naturally, ID would be falsified. ID would then become "not science" exactly when I make it immune from any negative observations.
How many sources have I shown you already? Did you read or watch any of them? The flagellum evolving naturally is not up for discussion by you or anyone else. It happened and we have plenty of evidence to prove it. Stop talking about this.

Maybe it's because you referred to a joke video as "undeniable proof" against ID. How could I let something that juicy slide?
I understand. Showing some maturity in a serious discussion is beyond you. Duly noted.

Considering that 2/3rds of scientists believe in God, then I would say I'm not contradicting widely accepted scientific truth at all.
First of all, thanks for providing a source to back up your claims, that always shows how much you really know your stuff...

Second of all, we both know it's possible to believe in god but not believe in ID. This last limping attempt to back up ID is pathetic. People try to support a whole lot of things using the bible, religion, etc. That doesn't mean everyone who believe in the bible or god supports any of that nonsense.

My claim that the flagellum needs causation to evolve isn't against the data (unless of course we some how find out that those 2/3rds of scientists are all Ken Miller).
What data? Oh yeah, I forgot, you never give or look at any.

It's the one's who don't believe in God who have logical loopholes to jump through, not the one's who do.
Who are you to bash other people's beliefs? They're allowed to believe in whatever they want. ID is a belief, it requires faith like other religious dogma, but it is not science. Scientists know this!

Oh what's this, actual data to back up a claim? Who would ever do something like that?! :
CLEVELAND–Nine out of 10 Ohio scientists from secular and religious colleges and universities responding to a survey say that intelligent design is primarily a religious view and not part of science. Case Western Reserve University faculty reported on the findings of the Internet poll during a news conference October 10.

* Nine out of 10 scientists (91 percent) felt the concept of intelligent design was unscientific and the same number responded that it was a religious view

* A vast majority (93 percent) of the scientists were not aware of “any scientifically valid evidence or an alternate scientific theory that challenges the fundamental principles of the theory of evolution”

* Almost all scientists (97 percent) said they did not use the intelligent design concept in their research

* Ninety percent of the responding scientists stated that they felt no scientific evidence supports intelligent design, while 2 percent were unsure

* Approximately 7 percent felt that intelligent design had some support from scientific evidence

* Some 84 percent felt acceptance of the evolution theory was “consistent with believing in God
-http://www.pandasthumb.org/archives/2004/12/scientists-v-in.html

Quicksand, you're holding on to this belief so foolishly. You're ignoring all the evidence that's being presented to you. This is becoming ridiculous. You have nothing to support your views. Stop this silly little vendetta. It's not going to dissuade anyone willing to look up easily accessible information. And it's certainly not going to dissuade any scientists who went through quite a bit of schooling on the subjects.

-blazed

snex

Smash Master
if mutations and natural selection didnt do it, then what did? we have a clear lineage of fossils that go from reptile-like to mammal-like, and we can perform experiments to determine just how much of a hearing advantage each animal would have had over the previous type. we also know that mutations can affect bone structure, as they do in modern dog breeds.

so which part are you failing to understand? the mammal innear ear is irreducibly complex. yet fossils show exactly how one can go from a reptile ear to a mammal ear. the science of acoustics can prove that they conferred selective advantages, and the science of genetics show how mutations affect bone structure. in short, YOU LOSE.

no, it would not falsify intelligent design. what part of this is not sinking in? even if a flagella appeared, it would not falsify the idea that an intelligent designer exists, or that it even created that flagella right there in the test tube. i dont think you know what the word "falsify" means.

that is not design detecting. arrowheads are designed, yet your "experiment" would say that they werent. your own body isnt designed (it developed from a single cell), yet your "experiment" would say that it was. clearly your "experiment" doesnt detect design at all.

regardless, what you propose is already done by ACTUAL scientists, and guess what? theyve never found a system whose pre-existing parts serve or could serve no purposes. all genes we have ever found in all but the most weird bacteria have known homologs throughout the rest of life. the genes used by the bacterial flagella have homologs in tons of other systems, which youd know if you bothered to read real science journals as opposed to creationist websites.

yes, so if rocks arent designed because we dont see rocks popping up out of nowhere, then flagella arent designed because we dont see flagella popping up out of nowhere.

I decided to take your advice and I went out and finally found out what a phylum was. Wikipedia says "a phylum is a taxonomic rank at the level below Kingdom and above Class."

Glad that's cleared up, can we move on?
you forgot to answer the other questions. here they are again:

do you know anything about the fossils that are found in cambrian strata? do you know anything about the geology of the cambrian strata? do you know anything about what conditions are conducive to fossil formation?

I guess I should dig up a peer-reviewed paper on the spherical nature of the Earth. I'm not the one who gave it the name "Cambrian Explosion".
the spherical nature of the earth isnt questioned by anybody except religious wackos like yourself. but REAL scientists who actually WORK with cambrian fossils ALL disagree with anti-evolutionists. why is that? maybe you should read what they are saying to find out. its ironic that creationists try to question the integrity of real scientists by attempting to cite work done by those scientists. if you dont trust the scientists, then how do you know that there even was a cambrian explosion? and if you do trust the scientists that there was a cambrian explosion, where is your justification to reject what conclusions they draw about it using the methods of science?

Anyone who rides the short bus could defeat you in an argument of logic.
then why are you failing miserably? ive pointed out numerous logical fallacies made by you (straw man against what evolution says and false dichotomy for example), but which ones can you point out against me? i havent made any. i doubt you even know what logic is or how to present an argument in formal logical notation.

but go ahead and prove me wrong. present the argument of intelligent design in formal notation. if you actually could, the flaws and unjustified leaps would be painfully obvious to anyone.

Any one of those theoretical experiments becoming falsified (which the article even refers to as "potential falsifications") doesn't falsify common descent.
yes, thats exactly what they would do. thats what "falsification" means.

Are you claiming that God would be sitting there in the lab making the flagellum evolve?

Even though that's the most inane rebuttal I've ever heard, it would still be great because we could observe exactly what took place and then easily be able to see whether or not it could happen by naturalistic standards.
YOU are the one that claims that god sat around and made a flagellum sometime in the past (by the way, when did he do this? how did he do it? those are questions that science answers. if ID cant answer them, it aint science).

and even if we observed "exactly what took place" you STILL couldnt rule out the idea that a supernatural intelligent entity did it. how do you KNOW that the entity didnt cause the mutation? you dont.

but it WOULDNT be falsified. an intelligent designer still might exist even if a flagellum evolved naturally. what part of this are you not understanding? you need an observation that would be inconsistent with an intelligent designer existing, not an observation that would make their existence superfluous with respect to only the observation made.

and lets not forget, we already saw how an IC structure could evolve - the mammalian ear.

believing in god is not the same thing as believing in creationist twaddle. the number of actual biologists who do actual research on biology that deny evolution is far less than 0.01%. in fact, mike behe is the only one i can think of off the top of my head, and even he accepts common descent.

lol, what loophole is that? there is no evidence of any gods. "evolution hasnt been proven to my satisfaction" isnt evidence of any gods. its evidence that evolution is either wrong or the person making the claim is deeply ignorant of science. given the number of actual scientists who work in biology and their stances on the matter, guess which one seems more likely in your case?

tell you what, lets do a scientific experiment to determine whether or not any gods exist right now. youre a christian right? the christian god is all-powerful and he is all-loving. so what i propose is that you pray as hard as you can for god to wipe malaria from the face of the planet with a miracle tonight. if god is all-powerful, he can do this. if god is all-loving, then he would want to cure people of diseases. and what you are praying for is in no way selfish. furthermore, christians believe that god has performed similar miracles in the past as a result of prayers, so there is precedent to expect he will do so again.

so let me know what the results are. actually dont bother, ill just read the news, since this kind of thing would be a front page story across the planet.

Quicksand

Smash Apprentice
if mutations and natural selection didnt do it, then what did? we have a clear lineage of fossils that go from reptile-like to mammal-like, and we can perform experiments to determine just how much of a hearing advantage each animal would have had over the previous type. we also know that mutations can affect bone structure, as they do in modern dog breeds.

so which part are you failing to understand? the mammal innear ear is irreducibly complex. yet fossils show exactly how one can go from a reptile ear to a mammal ear. the science of acoustics can prove that they conferred selective advantages, and the science of genetics show how mutations affect bone structure. in short, YOU LOSE.
Uhh, fossils show no such thing, which is my entire point. The fossil record highly ambiguous and extremely varying interpretations abound (as per usual) when it comes to the evolution of the inner ear.

no, it would not falsify intelligent design. what part of this is not sinking in? even if a flagella appeared, it would not falsify the idea that an intelligent designer exists, or that it even created that flagella right there in the test tube. i dont think you know what the word "falsify" means.
It falsifies it because it shows that teleology does not exist in living things, therefore there is no scientific reason to invoke a designer on the biological level.

that is not design detecting. arrowheads are designed, yet your "experiment" would say that they werent. your own body isnt designed (it developed from a single cell), yet your "experiment" would say that it was. clearly your "experiment" doesnt detect design at all.
Arrowheads aren't biological organisms, and your parallel to my experiment claiming it would show the body was designed makes absolutely no sense. (hint: reverse engineering doesn't mean reversing the organism's life course) :rotfl:

regardless, what you propose is already done by ACTUAL scientists, and guess what? theyve never found a system whose pre-existing parts serve or could serve no purposes. all genes we have ever found in all but the most weird bacteria have known homologs throughout the rest of life. the genes used by the bacterial flagella have homologs in tons of other systems, which youd know if you bothered to read real science journals as opposed to creationist websites.
To imagine that a chance set of mutations would produce all 200 proteins required for cilia function in a single generation stretches the imagination beyond the breaking point. And yet, producing one or a few of these proteins at a time, in standard Darwinian fashion, would convey no survival advantage because those few proteins would have no function-indeed, they would constitute a waste of energy for the cell to even produce.

you forgot to answer the other questions. here they are again:

do you know anything about the fossils that are found in cambrian strata? do you know anything about the geology of the cambrian strata? do you know anything about what conditions are conducive to fossil formation?
wat is r stratta?

the spherical nature of the earth isnt questioned by anybody except religious wackos like yourself. but REAL scientists who actually WORK with cambrian fossils ALL disagree with anti-evolutionists. why is that? maybe you should read what they are saying to find out. its ironic that creationists try to question the integrity of real scientists by attempting to cite work done by those scientists. if you dont trust the scientists, then how do you know that there even was a cambrian explosion? and if you do trust the scientists that there was a cambrian explosion, where is your justification to reject what conclusions they draw about it using the methods of science?
My bad, those loony scientists called it the Cambrian explosion because when they found nearly every phyla coming into existence simultaneously with fully formed appendages and organs. Man, they're stupid for coming up with that catchy moniker.

You know what else I hate? Those stupid octopuses evolving highly complex eyes in a separate phylogenic tree than higher mammals. Silly hox genes, always concealing billions of years of evolutionary information.

then why are you failing miserably? ive pointed out numerous logical fallacies made by you (straw man against what evolution says and false dichotomy for example), but which ones can you point out against me? i havent made any. i doubt you even know what logic is or how to present an argument in formal logical notation.
I hope using lots of expressive and pithy words helps you feel better about running in a hamster wheel.

yes, thats exactly what they would do. thats what "falsification" means.
So I go to the first evidence of the 29+ and I go down to the "potential falsification" (their words, not mine) of common descent. How exactly do nonvascular plants having seeds or flowers falsify common descent? It doesn't, it only creates another assumption on the evolutionary model, which (as I claimed) cannot be defeated merely on one falsification of one experiment.

and even if we observed "exactly what took place" you STILL couldnt rule out the idea that a supernatural intelligent entity did it. how do you KNOW that the entity didnt cause the mutation? you dont.
Either we would see that the supernatural entity adhered to his usual babysitting of bacteria evolution, or he wouldn't. In either case we would see or not see it conform to what we assume is naturalistic evolution, appealing dimwitted divine intervention aside.

lol, what loophole is that? there is no evidence of any gods. "evolution hasnt been proven to my satisfaction" isnt evidence of any gods. its evidence that evolution is either wrong or the person making the claim is deeply ignorant of science. given the number of actual scientists who work in biology and their stances on the matter, guess which one seems more likely in your case?
You seem to keep thinking that I think that evolution is erroneous.

tell you what, lets do a scientific experiment to determine whether or not any gods exist right now. youre a christian right? the christian god is all-powerful and he is all-loving. so what i propose is that you pray as hard as you can for god to wipe malaria from the face of the planet with a miracle tonight. if god is all-powerful, he can do this. if god is all-loving, then he would want to cure people of diseases. and what you are praying for is in no way selfish. furthermore, christians believe that god has performed similar miracles in the past as a result of prayers, so there is precedent to expect he will do so again.
Jesus said to him: "Again it is written, 'You must not put your Lord and God to the test." -Matt 4:7

Anyways, that's not scientific at all, it's faith based, remember? :dizzy:

Oh by the way, I prayed to God about your matter and he said he was going to get rid of malaria.

And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away. -Rev 21:4

snex

Smash Master
Uhh, fossils show no such thing, which is my entire point. The fossil record highly ambiguous and extremely varying interpretations abound (as per usual) when it comes to the evolution of the inner ear.
since you have neither seen the fossils nor have you read the papers that describe them, what is your basis for this judgment? oh right, you have none! you just make **** up. go look at the fossils and read the papers about them.

and as i said before, even if these particular fossils arent actually transitions, they clearly show how the middle ear can be formed by mutations to bone structure (which we know exist) and selection upon them (which we know will happen because they increase hearing ability). you have certainly not presented any case that mutations could not drive those skeletal changes, nor have you presented any case that selection would not favor them if they did. you just bury your head in the sand and avoid the point.

face it, the fossils show that an IC structure could evolve. by your own claim, ID is falsified. so why are you still posting?

It falsifies it because it shows that teleology does not exist in living things, therefore there is no scientific reason to invoke a designer on the biological level.
it absolutely does not show that teleology does not exist in living things. teleology exists in plenty of things that arent IC, like arrowheads. if teleology exists in arrowheads, it can exist in life even if life isnt IC. so you still havent been able to provide a way to falsify ID.

Arrowheads aren't biological organisms, and your parallel to my experiment claiming it would show the body was designed makes absolutely no sense. (hint: reverse engineering doesn't mean reversing the organism's life course) :rotfl:
arrowheads dont need to be biological organisms. we are discussing detecting design. we know that arrowheads are designed, so any method that claims it can detect design should be able to tell you that arrowheads are designed. if the method cant do this, then the method doesnt do what you claim it can do.

and the human body example perfectly proves it. we can watch a human body form from conception to adulthood. the IC structures that are in the human body all form naturally during development. no supernatural aspect was ever present in your physical development.

in fact, the moronic "IC" argument is not unique to IDiots. it was used centuries ago by advocates of "humonculous theory," which stated that the embryo was just a really small but fully formed human. the claim was that IC structures couldnt be built up gradually, therefore the body must just start out really small but fully formed. the argument didnt work then, and it doesnt work now.

To imagine that a chance set of mutations would produce all 200 proteins required for cilia function in a single generation stretches the imagination beyond the breaking point. And yet, producing one or a few of these proteins at a time, in standard Darwinian fashion, would convey no survival advantage because those few proteins would have no function-indeed, they would constitute a waste of energy for the cell to even produce.
this paragraph reveals you know absolutely nothing about biology. those proteins would and do have functions. ALL proteins have some kind of a function. they are extremely large chemicals with odd polarities that will necessarily only combine with certain other molecules. and every single protein in the bacterial flagella is homologous to some other protein that has some other function. but you wouldnt know that because you only read creationist websites, you never read the actual science being done.

wat is r stratta?
you forgot to answer the other questions, and your cowardice is showing. here they are again:

My bad, those loony scientists called it the Cambrian explosion because when they found nearly every phyla coming into existence simultaneously with fully formed appendages and organs. Man, they're stupid for coming up with that catchy moniker.
i would hardly call 10 million years "simultaneously." and which "fully formed appendages and organs" show up in the cambrian explosion? enlighten us.

You know what else I hate? Those stupid octopuses evolving highly complex eyes in a separate phylogenic tree than higher mammals. Silly hox genes, always concealing billions of years of evolutionary information.
more parroting of something you found on a creationist website. if you actually knew anything about cephalopod eyes, you would know that they are not homologous eyes. had you read some actual science, instead of creationist nonsense, youd know this. vertebrate eyes have the nerves pass through the retina, causing a blind spot. cephalopod eyes are wired in the opposite manner. this is not a simple change, as one can see by watching the development of a cephalopod embryo vs that of a vertebrate embryo. the fully grown eyes superficially resemble each other, but their development and the genes controlling it are completely different, demonstrating the non-homologosity.

I hope using lots of expressive and pithy words helps you feel better about running in a hamster wheel.
i cant help but notice you failed to point out a single logical fallacy ive made. i also notice you failed to present the ID argument in formal notation - and you also snipped my request to do so in your reply. what are you afraid of?

So I go to the first evidence of the 29+ and I go down to the "potential falsification" (their words, not mine) of common descent. How exactly do nonvascular plants having seeds or flowers falsify common descent? It doesn't, it only creates another assumption on the evolutionary model, which (as I claimed) cannot be defeated merely on one falsification of one experiment.
the characters of all organisms can be organized into nested hierarchies. nested hierarchies are always formed by patterns of common descent with minor variations between generations. if life could not be arranged into a nested hierarchy pattern, then common descent could not explain it. every time we discover a new organism, that organism can either fall into the nested hierarchy we already have, or it could be completely against it. if we found even one organism that challenged one of the stronger trees of the hierarchy (a bird with mammary glands, an octopus whose eye developed the way a human's did, a nonvascular plant with seeds), this would be impossible to explain with common descent. because we know that mutations are random, the more derived a character is, the harder it will be to develop twice. wings and eyes are easy to develop multiple times - they require very simple things at base (light sensitive cells and aero-foil structures). but the way an eye develops in an embryo cannot be easily changed once that course has been set and the eye becomes necessary for life.

finding an organism that broke the nested hierarchy pattern would be like finding a lone black guy in a white family tree. when you look at a white family tree, you expect everybody in there to be white unless they were adopted or they married in.

Either we would see that the supernatural entity adhered to his usual babysitting of bacteria evolution, or he wouldn't. In either case we would see or not see it conform to what we assume is naturalistic evolution, appealing dimwitted divine intervention aside.
how would you "see" it? you cant see a supernatural entity in action if you dont want it to. how can you tell the difference between a truly random mutation and a mutation caused by god? it cant be done.

You seem to keep thinking that I think that evolution is erroneous.
you think that natural features of life couldnt have evolved. youve done no scientific testing to demonstrate this (and neither has any other IDiot), and your only alternative is "god musta done it." thats an anti-scientific attitude if ive ever seen one.

Jesus said to him: "Again it is written, 'You must not put your Lord and God to the test." -Matt 4:7

Anyways, that's not scientific at all, it's faith based, remember? :dizzy:

Oh by the way, I prayed to God about your matter and he said he was going to get rid of malaria.

And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away. -Rev 21:4
if matt 4:7 is true, why do people claim that prayer healed them? are they lying? were they not actually healed? they put god to the test, and allegedly he came through. why would it work for them and not you?

and it is perfectly scientific. youre performing a test and seeing if the result matches the hypothesis or not. you even have a control group - every other disease that you wont be praying to eliminate. but of course the test is that malaria goes away TOMORROW. if it doesnt, then your experiment turned up a negative result, and if you were intellectually honest, youd abandon the hypothesis. im not holding my breath.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
No evidence.

You're completely misinterpreting his words. He's saying, if we went through your proposed experiment, the one being where we produce flagellum through natural processes, even then there would be no way to conclude an intelligent designer isn't still involved. He's only showing that ID is not falsifiable, and therefore, unscientific.

Look ... up... the word... analogy. Your experiment shouldn't ONLY work on living organisms. Why would it? It should do what it claims, prove that designer existing for said object (living or otherwise). Yet this test clearly fails when speaking about arrowheads. Thus the test is invalid. You can't have it both ways Quicksand. Your test either works, or it doesn't.

Oh, and how is discovering how a single cell became a full fledged adult not reverse engineering? Look up the word reverse engineering, it's not all too complicated. Just because it's one way of doing it that doesn't fit into your original intent doesn't change that it's still reverse engineering.

I've given you a number of sources on this. If you read or looked at a single one you would know it didn't happen in one generation.

And do you have a source mentioning a requirement of 200 proteins for cilia to function?

Oh what was that? No source again? Aren't the octopus eye and the eyes of higher mammals still different, despite their similarities? Wait, what's the I hear, an actual source coming to back up an argument?:

The Cephalopod Eye

The octopus eye and the vertebrate eye are extraordinarily similar. Each has a cornea, an iris, an accommodating lens, a fluid-filled vitreous humor, a retina, and so forth. However, there are major differences. First, the photoreceptor cells in the cephalopod eye point forwards toward the incoming light. Our own visual cells point backwards and absorb light bouncing off the back of the eye. Secondly, the cephalopod eye, like other invertebrate eyes, develops as an in******tion, or in-pocketing, of the skin. All vertebrate eyes develop as extensions of the brain.

Octopus
Octopus
Octopus Eye
Octopus Eye

Another difference is in the method of focusing. We use our ciliary muscles to change the shape of our cellular lens to bring objects at varying distances into focus. Cephalopods have a rigid lens of fixed focal length, normally focussed on objects fairly close. They change their range of focus by moving the entire lens closer or farther from the retina with the ciliary muscle. Biologically, it's very clear that the single lens eye of the octopus evolved completely independently from that of the vertebrates. As such, they are excellent examples of convergent evolution, processes where a similar structure with a similar function develops in two unrelated phylogenetic lines.

A most unique characteristic of the cephalopod eye is its rotational ability and its consistent orientation in relation to gravity. Using their statocyst, (a balance organ common to many invertebrates), the pelagic or water-dwelling cephalopods are able to always keep their slit-shaped pupils in a horizontal position. Therefore the brain can always safely interpret visual information on the basis that the eyes are horizontally aligned, though the body may be at any angle in the three dimensional water column. Even seafloor dwelling or benthic octopuses have kept this trait as evidence of their pelagic ancestry.

Octopus Eye
Octopus Eye
Cuttlefish Eye
Cuttlefish Eye

Like insects, cephalopods also have polarized vision. The chromatophores and iridescent cells on the skin of cephalopods can create a visual pattern that coincides with polarized light. Octopuses and squid can recognise these light patterns and since the chromatophore patterns change depending on mating season, behaviour, and stress, they can effectively communicate with each other. Polarized vision also allows cephalopods to detect otherwise transparent prey such as jellyfish and ctenophores
-http://www.ebiomedia.com/Eyes/What-animal-has-a-more-sophisticated-eye-Octopus-or-Insect.html

Note: there were pictures next to those titles, it wasn't just writing which eyes they were going to talk about next.

And what's that I see... cephalopods is an entire group of creatures? Weren't you trying to imply the octopus was unique in some way, having developed a similar eye to mammals? What ever happened to that?

Oh, and quicksand, I'll take your lack of reply to any of my posts as a clear sign that you've conceded to the truth of my statements.

-blazed

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Quicksand:

What exactly IS a supernatural being? And how does a supernatural being go about interacting with nature? ID supposed that a supernatural being is influencing the evolutionary process, how can one go about doing this which isn't in clear violation of locality and causality. (See: "The mind-body problem")

snex

Smash Master
the characters of all organisms can be organized into nested hierarchies. nested hierarchies are always formed by patterns of common descent with minor variations between generations. if life could not be arranged into a nested hierarchy pattern, then common descent could not explain it. every time we discover a new organism, that organism can either fall into the nested hierarchy we already have, or it could be completely against it. if we found even one organism that challenged one of the stronger trees of the hierarchy (a bird with mammary glands, an octopus whose eye developed the way a human's did, a nonvascular plant with seeds), this would be impossible to explain with common descent. because we know that mutations are random, the more derived a character is, the harder it will be to develop twice. wings and eyes are easy to develop multiple times - they require very simple things at base (light sensitive cells and aero-foil structures). but the way an eye develops in an embryo cannot be easily changed once that course has been set and the eye becomes necessary for life.

finding an organism that broke the nested hierarchy pattern would be like finding a lone black guy in a white family tree. when you look at a white family tree, you expect everybody in there to be white unless they were adopted or they married in.
i want to expand on this, because the analogy i chose was horrible, and ive thought of a much better one. everybody played the game "telephone" as a child. "telephone" is an example of descent with modification. the end result is not the same as the beginning input because mutations get inserted and those mutations get passed along to the next kid. each kid in a "telephone" line can be thought of as a generation. from one generation to the next, the differences are minor. but when you look at the end vs the beginning, the differences can be large. now, imagine that instead of a "telephone" line you make a "telephone" tree. that is, one kid tells TWO kids his sentence, and they each tell two other kids, and so on. what you have now is descent with modification that is no longer linear, but something that will necessarily show a nested hierarchy.

lets say that we do this for a really large set of text (like the bible for example) and we do it 1 billion generations (thats a LOT of kids!) but lets also say that we can only look at the last generation, the billionth generation. we dont get to know what the original kid said, or what any of the kids in between him and the last group said. what kinds of patterns do you think we would find? we would find that there are certain shared patterns that groups of children match, and we will find that there are groups within groups, and that those hierarchies are either never violated, or if they are, they are violated in a way that can be easily due to chance.

for example, you might find that in one group of kids, "jesus" has been renamed to "superman." and within that group, you find a smaller group of kids that have changed "elijah" to "batman." what conclusion can we draw about this? well, we can infer that the "batman" mutation must have sprang up AFTER the "superman" mutation, because more kids share the superman mutation than the batman mutation. we can also state that you will almost certainly never find a group of kids that have changed "elijah" to "batman" that exists outside of the "jesus = superman" group. this is a mutation that is unlikely to occur twice. you might find that some kids have renamed "moses" to "batman," but the odds of two groups of kids both picking elijah and renaming him to batman independently is very unlikely (remember, we are just discussing common descent without any selection).

now, we only have finite resources, but there are 2^1,000,000,000 kids here. we cant possibly examine ALL of them 100%. we can maybe examine a few of them in their entirety, and grab bits and pieces from the rest. most will go unexamined entirely. but every time we examine a new kid's "telephone bible," we can see whether or not it fits into a nested hierarchy pattern. if we start finding kids who span well-determined groups, we start questioning if they were really playing "telephone" at all. if they really WERE playing "telephone," every kid we talk to MUST fit into the nested hierarchy somehow.

and the same is true for living organisms. if living organisms are due to a pattern of common descent, then they MUST fit a nested hierarchy. if you started finding animals that spanned well-determined groups, then you have to question whether they really were made by common descent. that is why birds with mammary glands, or squids who develop eyes the same way dogs do, or nonvascular plants with seeds would be a falsification of common descent.

we can even go further on this. lets say we wanted to reconstruct the original text (the bible). we can go about doing this by looking at the patterns of the shared characteristics of what each kid is saying. we have one small group of kids that say "superman," but the rest of them insist on saying "jesus." "jesus" is much more likely to be the original if more kids are saying it. youll never get a perfect rendition of the original just by looking at the last generation, because sometimes there is going to be ambiguity. the original might also simply be totally gone from the entire population. but you certainly CAN make statements about what the original was *probably* like. these predictions could be tested if we had "fossil-kids" (ie, we could examine parts of the kids from past generations).

luckily, when it comes to living organisms, we DO have fossils. and they ALWAYS meet the predictions put forth by common descent. so not only do all known LIVING things point to common descent, the predictions about fossils that common descent necessarily makes ALSO point to common descent. any point in this chain could have broken down and said "nope, common descent cant explain me!" but test after test after test shows that it always works.

yossarian22

Smash Journeyman
Christ, no wonder theists have such a garbage reputation in the debate hall. This thread just keeps going in circles. I would like to pretend I kept things interesting with a new approach. I mean come on. Intelligent Design? Are you bloody serious? ID has been done to death. Evolution is no longer debatable; stop pretending that it is.

Dogmatic theists, abandon all hope of establishing a physical need for a deity beyond first cause reasoning. Even the later is probably a lost cause. Your only hope is a philosophical position on the need for a deity, but that would probably kill your dogma. A pity.

Quicksand:
What exactly IS a supernatural being? And how does a supernatural being go about interacting with nature? ID supposed that a supernatural being is influencing the evolutionary process, how can one go about doing this which isn't in clear violation of locality and causality. (See: "The mind-body problem")
This is a bit unfair. ID does not have to be supernatural. That is the beauty of ID. It could be anything from Martians to Thor who does the designing.

Supernatural implies that one is above nature, and therefore above such petty problems as causality and locality.Your point still stands though

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Now there's someone we haven't seen in a while.

Technically, an ID proponent might be able to make that claim, Yossarian. But realistically, ID is a christian idea. The "designer" is never intended to be an open ended concept, but rather specifically the christian god.

PS: There's not too many theists in the DH these days... I think Snex scares them off...

Quicksand

Smash Apprentice
since you have neither seen the fossils nor have you read the papers that describe them, what is your basis for this judgment? oh right, you have none! you just make **** up. go look at the fossils and read the papers about them.

and as i said before, even if these particular fossils arent actually transitions, they clearly show how the middle ear can be formed by mutations to bone structure (which we know exist) and selection upon them (which we know will happen because they increase hearing ability). you have certainly not presented any case that mutations could not drive those skeletal changes, nor have you presented any case that selection would not favor them if they did. you just bury your head in the sand and avoid the point.

face it, the fossils show that an IC structure could evolve. by your own claim, ID is falsified. so why are you still posting?
The onus is on you.

it absolutely does not show that teleology does not exist in living things. teleology exists in plenty of things that arent IC, like arrowheads. if teleology exists in arrowheads, it can exist in life even if life isnt IC. so you still havent been able to provide a way to falsify ID.

And why exactly do we know that arrowheads are designed?

and the human body example perfectly proves it. we can watch a human body form from conception to adulthood. the IC structures that are in the human body all form naturally during development. no supernatural aspect was ever present in your physical development.

And how exactly does the human body know to form those IC structures?

this paragraph reveals you know absolutely nothing about biology. those proteins would and do have functions. ALL proteins have some kind of a function. they are extremely large chemicals with odd polarities that will necessarily only combine with certain other molecules. and every single protein in the bacterial flagella is homologous to some other protein that has some other function. but you wouldnt know that because you only read creationist websites, you never read the actual science being done.
http://www.idthink.net/biot/eflag/index.html

you forgot to answer the other questions, and your cowardice is showing. here they are again:

wat is r gealogy?

i would hardly call 10 million years "simultaneously." and which "fully formed appendages and organs" show up in the cambrian explosion? enlighten us.
Before:

After:

more parroting of something you found on a creationist website. if you actually knew anything about cephalopod eyes, you would know that they are not homologous eyes. had you read some actual science, instead of creationist nonsense, youd know this. vertebrate eyes have the nerves pass through the retina, causing a blind spot. cephalopod eyes are wired in the opposite manner. this is not a simple change, as one can see by watching the development of a cephalopod embryo vs that of a vertebrate embryo. the fully grown eyes superficially resemble each other, but their development and the genes controlling it are completely different, demonstrating the non-homologosity.
"To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree." -Chuck Darwin

The best part about it is that the octopus and vertebrae eye function in highly the same manner (which was my whole point).

they require very simple things at base (light sensitive cells and aero-foil structures). but the way an eye develops in an embryo cannot be easily changed once that course has been set and the eye becomes necessary for life.
Adaptation causes natural selection, natural selection does not inherently lead to greater adaptation.

how would you "see" it? you cant see a supernatural entity in action if you dont want it to. how can you tell the difference between a truly random mutation and a mutation caused by god? it cant be done.
In that case, then evolution can't be falsified because if a road block comes up in evolutionary theory then I can always say that a leprechaun magically made it appear that way, just like God would in my flagellum test tube.

you think that natural features of life couldnt have evolved. youve done no scientific testing to demonstrate this (and neither has any other IDiot), and your only alternative is "god musta done it." thats an anti-scientific attitude if ive ever seen one.
You better believe that the reason I believe in God is because of what science has shown me.

if matt 4:7 is true, why do people claim that prayer healed them? are they lying? were they not actually healed? they put god to the test, and allegedly he came through. why would it work for them and not you?
I would think a lot more people would be lining up in front of Benny Hinn if it was true.

and it is perfectly scientific. youre performing a test and seeing if the result matches the hypothesis or not. you even have a control group - every other disease that you wont be praying to eliminate. but of course the test is that malaria goes away TOMORROW. if it doesnt, then your experiment turned up a negative result, and if you were intellectually honest, youd abandon the hypothesis. im not holding my breath.
Praying for God to get rid of malaria tomorrow and him not doing so doesn't prove he is either non loving or unpowerful.

Christ, no wonder theists have such a garbage reputation in the debate hall. This thread just keeps going in circles. I would like to pretend I kept things interesting with a new approach. I mean come on. Intelligent Design? Are you bloody serious? ID has been done to death. Evolution is no longer debatable; stop pretending that it is.
ID is in no way opposite to evolution, both theories co-exist peacefully.

By the way, I really could careless about defending ID of it's validity, I just stopped in to show that ID is falsifiable. Now I'm just the devil's advocate.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
... I'm going to assume this is a joke... we designed them.

Go read about DNA.

A completely biased source with absolutely no credibility. Try to find a source that claims the same thing that isn't written by an ID proponent.

"To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree." -Chuck Darwin
Misquoting at its worst. Exactly what I expect from ID proponents like yourself:
Misquote

"Any eye from any animal provides a good example of the total illogic of evolutionary theory. The human eye is a subject evolutionists would rather skip:

To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree.

Who said that? A struggling, obscure nineteenth-century British scientist. His name? Charles Darwin! Start with a completely developed, fully functioning eye (the only kind that has ever been found!) and work backward a couple of evolutionary steps and you will see why Darwin was so candid. He had no choice. Take away just one of the "evolved" parts of the eye--let's say the retina--and what do you have? An organ that can see? Hardly! Subtract the lens, or the cornea. Then put the retina back. Could the eye see? Never! It must be complete or it won't function." (Griffith)

"The facts indicate there is more scientific evidence to support a view of divine creation than there is to support evolution. Evolutionist L.T. More once said, "The more one studies paleontology, the more certain one becomes that evolution is based on faith alone." I doubt Darrell Lambert's teachers read that quote in class. Nor do I believe they ever cited this quote: "To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree." Charles Darwin." (Rast)

"Or, again, we could examine the human eye. Anatomically, it is most similar to that of an octopus'. Of course, the theory that the human eye evolved was directly commented by Charles Darwin himself when he said, "To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree."" (Niednagel)

[highlight]Original quote[/highlight]
Organs of extreme perfection and complication.

"To suppose that the eye, with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest possible degree. Yet reason tells me, that if numerous gradations from a perfect and complex eye to one very imperfect and simple, each grade being useful to its possessor, can be shown to exist; if further, the eye does vary ever so slightly, and the variations be inherited, which is certainly the case; and if any variation or modification in the organ be ever useful to an animal under changing conditions of life, then the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, can hardly be considered real. How a nerve comes to be sensitive to light, hardly concerns us more than how life itself first originated; but I may remark that several facts make me suspect that any sensitive nerve may be rendered sensitive to light, and likewise to those coarser vibrations of the air which produce sound.

In looking for the gradations by which an organ in any species has been perfected, we ought to look exclusively to its lineal ancestors; but this is scarcely ever possible, and we are forced in each case to look to species of the same group, that is to the collateral descendants from the same original parent-form, in order to see what gradations are possible, and for the chance of some gradations having been transmitted from the earlier stages of descent, in an unaltered or little altered condition. Amongst existing Vertebrata, we find but a small amount of gradation in the structure of the eye, and from fossil species we can learn nothing on this head. In this great class we should probably have to descend far beneath the lowest known fossiliferous stratum to discover the earlier stages, by which the eye has been perfected.

In the Articulata we can commence a series with an optic nerve merely coated with pigment, and without any other mechanism; and from this low stage, numerous gradations of structure, branching off in two fundamentally different lines, can be shown to exist, until we reach a moderately high stage of perfection. In certain crustaceans, for instance, there is a double cornea, the inner one divided into facets, within each of which there is a lens shaped swelling. In other crustaceans the transparent cones which are coated by pigment, and which properly act only by excluding lateral pencils of light, are convex at their upper ends and must act by convergence; and at their lower ends there seems to be an imperfect vitreous substance. With these facts, here far too briefly and imperfectly given, which show that there is much graduated diversity in the eyes of living crustaceans, and bearing in mind how small the number of living animals is in proportion to those which have become extinct, I can see no very great difficulty (not more than in the case of many other structures) in believing that natural selection has converted the simple apparatus of an optic nerve merely coated with pigment and invested by transparent membrane, into an optical instrument as perfect as is possessed by any member of the great Articulate class.

He who will go thus far, if he find on finishing this treatise that large bodies of facts, otherwise inexplicable, can be explained by the theory of descent, ought not to hesitate to go further, and to admit that a structure even as perfect as the eye of an eagle might be formed by natural selection, although in this case he does not know any of the transitional grades. His reason ought to conquer his imagination; though I have felt the difficulty far too keenly to be surprised at any degree of hesitation in extending the principle of natural selection to such startling lengths.

It is scarcely possible to avoid comparing the eye to a telescope. We know that this instrument has been perfected by the long-continued efforts of the highest human intellects; and we naturally infer that the eye has been formed by a somewhat analogous process. But may not this inference be presumptuous? Have we any right to assume that the Creator works by intellectual powers like those of man? If we must compare the eye to an optical instrument, we ought in imagination to take a thick layer of transparent tissue, with a nerve sensitive to light beneath, and then suppose every part of this layer to be continually changing slowly in density, so as to separate into layers of different densities and thicknesses, placed at different distances from each other, and with the surfaces of each layer slowly changing in form. Further we must suppose that there is a power always intently watching each slight accidental alteration in the transparent layers; and carefully selecting each alteration which, under varied circumstances, may in any way, or in any degree, tend to produce a distincter image. We must suppose each new state of the instrument to be multiplied by the million; and each to be preserved till a better be produced, and then the old ones to be destroyed. In living bodies, variation will cause the slight alterations, generation will multiply them almost infinitely, and natural selection will pick out with unerring skill each improvement. Let this process go on for millions on millions of years; and during each year on millions of individuals of many kinds; and may we not believe that a living optical instrument might thus be formed as superior to one of glass, as the works of the Creator are to those of man?

If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed, which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down. But I can find out no such case. No doubt many organs exist of which we do not know the transitional grades, more especially if we look to much-isolated species, round which, according to my theory, there has been much extinction. Or again, if we look to an organ common to all the members of a large class, for in this latter case the organ must have been first formed at an extremely remote period, since which all the many members of the class have been developed; and in order to discover the early transitional grades through which the organ has passed, we should have to look to very ancient ancestral forms, long since become extinct.

We should be extremely cautious in concluding that an organ could not have been formed by transitional gradations of some kind. Numerous cases could be given amongst the lower animals of the same organ performing at the same time wholly distinct functions; thus the alimentary canal respires, digests, and excretes in the larva of the dragon-fly and in the fish Cobites. In the Hydra, the animal may be turned inside out, and the exterior surface will then digest and the stomach respire. In such cases natural selection might easily specialise, if any advantage were thus gained, a part or organ, which had performed two functions, for one function alone, and thus wholly change its nature by insensible steps. Two distinct organs sometimes perform simultaneously the same function in the same individual; to give one instance, there are fish with gills or branchiae that breathe the air dissolved in the water, at the same time that they breathe free air in their swimbladders, this latter organ having a ductus pneumaticus for its supply, and being divided by highly vascular partitions. In these cases, one of the two organs might with ease be modified and perfected so as to perform all the work by itself, being aided during the process of modification by the other organ; and then this other organ might be modified for some other and quite distinct purpose, or be quite obliterated."
The best part about it is that the octopus and vertebrae eye function in highly the same manner (which was my whole point).
Learn how to read. If you actually read the information I posted above you would have seen they function in an EXTREMELY DIFFERENT manner.

What do similarities have to do with anything? How does this prove ID in any way whatsoever? How is disproving evolution = proving ID? It's not!

Adaptation causes natural selection, natural selection does not inherently lead to greater adaptation.
I don't think you have a proper understanding of evolution. Natural selection is the observation that those better able to survive (through adaption or any other way) will be more likely to survive and therefore will be more likely to produce offspring. Continue this pattern and you'll see the end result. Natural selection is an observation about how the world works. It doesn't lead to anything... that doesn't even make sense.

In that case, then evolution can't be falsified because if a road block comes up in evolutionary theory then I can always say that a leprechaun magically made it appear that way, just like God would in my flagellum test tube.
You mean, if evolution is falsified you'll assume ID is true? Why? How does this change the fact that evolution can be falsified while ID can not?

You better believe that the reason I believe in God is because of what science has shown me.
Your missing his point entirely. An argument from ignorance is a logical fallacy (look it up). You can't logically go from "I don't know" to "god did it". There has to be a reason to show "god did it". Another words, not knowing how something works doesn't imply that magic is making it happen (or god ... or leprechauns).

I would think a lot more people would be lining up in front of Benny Hinn if it was true.

Praying for God to get rid of malaria tomorrow and him not doing so doesn't prove he is either non loving or unpowerful.
He didn't say it did, he said you should abandon your original hypothesis, whatever you were testing (whether or not prayer works the way people/the bible/religion claim).

Except the only way you have of justifying ID is to try and pick holes in evolutionary theory, which you fail to do miserably by the way.

-blazed

snex

Smash Master
The onus is on you.
we already know that mutations can cause changes to skeletal structure by looking at dog breeds. since you are claiming that they COULDNT cause the changes represented by fossils, the onus is on YOU to show this.

there is absolutely nothing in the genetic code of any organism that would prevent mutations to skeletal structure.

we know arrowheads are designed because we witness designers making them. we know WHY designers might want to make them. we know HOW designers go about making them, and we can find signs of this process in either the arrowheads themselves, or in the surrounding areas in which they are found.

NONE of this can be said about your "intelligent designer."

it doesnt "know" anything. its just chemicals reacting to their environment dictated by the laws of physics and chemistry. and yet, there are the IC structures, built up over time in a mother's womb.

wat is r gealogy?
if you cant offer a substantive reply, im going to have to suggest that you be removed from the debate hall. this place is for people interested in serious debate, not childish trolls.

...images snipped for space...
this is simply a bold-faced lie. there are TONS of pre-cambrian fossils known. a simple google search would have revealed this to you.

bravo, quote mining. a classic creationist tactic. it shows you havent even read the actual book, because if you had, youd know that in the very next sentence darwin goes on to offer a possible scenario in which the eye could have evolved.

when are you going to stop going to dishonest creationist sources for everything and just read the original science itself? what are you afraid of? why do you need con-men to filter the science for you?

except they dont, not any more so than any other two unrelated eyes. thus, your point fails.

this sentence neither makes sense nor addresses what it was in response to.

that has nothing to do with falsifying evolution. that has to do with falsifying god and leprechauns. the theory of evolution makes specific predictions which, if they fail, evolution is falsified. the hypotheses of god and leprechauns make NO specific predictions, and therefore cannot be falsified.

you still dont seem to understand what falsification means. it has NOTHING TO DO with competing hypotheses. falsification is about the logical implications of the hypothesis under discussion ONLY. no human can be this stupid and still manage to feed himself, so your blathering can only be chalked up to pure dishonesty.

there is no scientific evidence of any gods, nor could there ever be, since all god hypotheses are either unfalsifiable, already falsified, or logically incoherent. if anybody did have any scientific evidence of any gods, theyd have performed a scientific experiment to demonstrate it and published that experiment in a scientific journal. theyd have probably also won the nobel prize for the greatest discovery of the century.

news flash moron, a lot of people DO line up in front of benny hinn and his con-man buddies. but thats beside the point. most people dont believe that benny hinn can heal you. most people DO believe that god can heal you. and lots of people claim he did just that. so how do you explain those people? you havent even tried. i bet you yourself would even claim that you have seen god heal somebody who prayed for it.

then what exactly does it prove? you humbly requested a non-selfish thing that would remove the suffering of millions. and it didnt happen. so what conclusions can we draw?

either god doesnt exist or god did not want to remove the suffering of those people. take your pick.

By the way, I really could careless about defending ID of it's validity, I just stopped in to show that ID is falsifiable. Now I'm just the devil's advocate.
ID is not a theory precisely because it isnt falsifiable. you still havent offered a scientific experiment that would falsify it. "wait a really long time and see if flagella show up" is neither scientific, nor would it even falsify ID if flagella DID show up. youre grasping at straws here and its pathetic.

Quicksand

Smash Apprentice
we already know that mutations can cause changes to skeletal structure by looking at dog breeds. since you are claiming that they COULDNT cause the changes represented by fossils, the onus is on YOU to show this.

there is absolutely nothing in the genetic code of any organism that would prevent mutations to skeletal structure.
I'm not claiming that skeletal structures can't change at all. I'm saying that for natural selection to be able to select the skeletal structural change is far out of the reach of mere chance because several mutations are required to make the change useful at all.

we know arrowheads are designed because we witness designers making them. we know WHY designers might want to make them. we know HOW designers go about making them, and we can find signs of this process in either the arrowheads themselves, or in the surrounding areas in which they are found.
So let's say you have no knowledge of Indians, and you're walking through the woods and you come across a large stone fashioned into a point and it is filed down very smooth on the sides and very sharp on the tip. On the bottom of a stone there is a protrusion with a hole through it, and on it there is a vine dried and woven into a straight pole.

Without having any knowledge of spears or arrowheads or indians, what is your conclusion?

it doesnt "know" anything. its just chemicals reacting to their environment dictated by the laws of physics and chemistry. and yet, there are the IC structures, built up over time in a mother's womb.
The body knows exactly how to form because of millions of lines of information precoded into the genome. IC structures are made because the information and instructions are already there to show how to build it.

if you cant offer a substantive reply, im going to have to suggest that you be removed from the debate hall.
You expect appealing to whether or not I have ignorance of subjects as to affect the validity of my claims? I'm not a paleontologist but I've researched enough on fossils to know conditions that they are needed to form and not form. This is like saying I shouldn't be allowed to drive a car because I don't know how to put one together. Enough knowledge is readily available for me to become informed on things without becoming an expert on them. An attack on my knowledge (however so well founded it may be) doesn't have anything to do with my argument. It will stand if it is correct.

Besides, you're the one constantly insulting me and calling me deriding me with name calling. If your upset for me mocking your strawman that you set up just to knock down, then you really need to learn how to take it, since you like to dish it out so much.

this place is for people interested in serious debate, not childish trolls.
This place is for people interested in serious debate, not childish trolls whose favorite tactic is bombarding me with ridicule.

this is simply a bold-faced lie. there are TONS of pre-cambrian fossils known. a simple google search would have revealed this to you.
I never said there weren't any pre-cambrian fossils. Only problem is that they don't lead anywhere.

except they dont, not any more so than any other two unrelated eyes. thus, your point fails.
Yeah they aren't alike at all, they all just have a retina, a cornea, an iris, a lens, and a fluid-filled interior. All the essential parts of a working eyeball.

A Camaro and a Mustang aren't similar at all either.

this sentence neither makes sense nor addresses what it was in response to.
Your assumption is that those structures are easy to create and then build on, my response was to that.

that has nothing to do with falsifying evolution. that has to do with falsifying god and leprechauns. the theory of evolution makes specific predictions which, if they fail, evolution is falsified. the hypotheses of god and leprechauns make NO specific predictions, and therefore cannot be falsified.
Positive evidence of design in living systems consists of the semantic, meaningful or functional nature of biological information, the lack of any known law that can explain the sequence of symbols that carry the "messages," and statistical and experimental evidence that tends to rule out chance as a plausible explanation.

you still dont seem to understand what falsification means. it has NOTHING TO DO with competing hypotheses. falsification is about the logical implications of the hypothesis under discussion ONLY. no human can be this stupid and still manage to feed himself, so your blathering can only be chalked up to pure dishonesty.
You're right, it doesn't. ID claims teleology. If teleology is not found, or better said, if the opposite of teleology is found in naturalism, then ID is falsified.

news flash moron, a lot of people DO line up in front of benny hinn and his con-man buddies. but thats beside the point. most people dont believe that benny hinn can heal you. most people DO believe that god can heal you. and lots of people claim he did just that. so how do you explain those people? you havent even tried.
Since you see this as such undeniable proof that God heals people, then why don't you believe in God and the Bible? God obviously works miracles through Benny Hinn, why don't you express faith in him?

i bet you yourself would even claim that you have seen god heal somebody who prayed for it.
I never would claim to know if God healed someone who prayed to be healed. God is much less concerned about our physicality and much more concerned about our spiritual well-being and needs, since this system of things is to be done away with.

then what exactly does it prove? you humbly requested a non-selfish thing that would remove the suffering of millions. and it didnt happen. so what conclusions can we draw?

either god doesnt exist or god did not want to remove the suffering of those people. take your pick.
God doesn't want to remove the suffering of those people.

To get on a theological point, once Satan rebelled, he called, not into question God's power, but his right to rule. For God to just destroy Satan and start all over doesn't defeat the assertion that Satan raised. Satan must be allowed to make his case so it can be crushed, never to be raised again. For God to inhibit any complex that would turn against him would be to take away our free will. God has given us the ability to either or not choose to worship him.

The good thing about it is that God promises to let everyone have a chance to show their worth, no matter what course they have taken. We are no different as biological organisms as are angels in our ability to make a conscious decision.

ID is not a theory precisely because it isnt falsifiable. you still havent offered a scientific experiment that would falsify it. "wait a really long time and see if flagella show up" is neither scientific, nor would it even falsify ID if flagella DID show up. youre grasping at straws here and its pathetic.
It falsifies ID because it shows that teleology is not in the flagellum. ID doesn't make claims past what can be observed, it stays in it's box, that's why it can be falsified.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Teleology is not something that can be tested, Quicksand. This is absurd.

Teleology is just the quality of "looking like it were designed". You're claiming that you can test whether or not an object was "designed" by looking at it and trying to see if it "looks designed".

What ACTUAL grounds would you base your decision about whether something has teleology or not? If it is "out of the ordinary", as in your arrowhead example? That is not a valid qualifier of teleology. People have been doing that for thousands of years. That is why people used to think lightning, earthquakes, meteorites, planet movements, etc... all had supernatural (and intended) causes. We now know this is not the case, all of these things have perfectly natural explanations.

Not to mention the absurdity of a supernatural being to begin with...

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Positive evidence of design in living systems consists of the semantic, meaningful or functional nature of biological information, the lack of any known law that can explain the sequence of symbols that carry the "messages," and statistical and experimental evidence that tends to rule out chance as a plausible explanation.
None of these are positive evidence:
-What does "the semantic, meaningful or functional nature of biological information" really even mean? It sounds like you're just saying "there are complicated biological structures, therefore this is interpreted as evidence for ID." You're really just painting the bullseye around the arrow.
-The lack of a known law that can explain X is not positive evidence for Y theory, that's the very definition of an argument from ignorance.
-"statistical and experimental evidence that tends to rule out chance as a plausible explanation" is really the same argument as the "lack of a known law argument." If you're calculating the probability of something happening, you're doing it within the framework of known laws, so it's not saying anything more than "known laws give a small probability for X event, THEREFORE this is evidence for Y theory" which again is an argument from ignorance. This is of course assuming you could actually do that calculation in the first place, which the burden is upon you to show if you'd claim it as evidence.

snex

Smash Master
I'm not claiming that skeletal structures can't change at all. I'm saying that for natural selection to be able to select the skeletal structural change is far out of the reach of mere chance because several mutations are required to make the change useful at all.
nonsense. changes in skeletal structure can be achieved through sexual recombination alone - no mutation necessary. and given the time it took for the shift from reptilian skull to mammalian skull to happen, there is plenty of time for mutations to do the job. all you need to do is measure mutation rates! you are just talking out of your *** here - you really have no idea how many mutations would be required to go from reptile ear to mammal ear, and you have no idea how long it would take to do so. you are just MAKING **** UP.

So let's say you have no knowledge of Indians, and you're walking through the woods and you come across a large stone fashioned into a point and it is filed down very smooth on the sides and very sharp on the tip. On the bottom of a stone there is a protrusion with a hole through it, and on it there is a vine dried and woven into a straight pole.

Without having any knowledge of spears or arrowheads or indians, what is your conclusion?
your scenario is impossible, because we DO have knowledge of spears and arrowheads. if we didnt have that knowledge, then thered be no science anyway and thered be nobody to do the asking. if you took a child too young to know anything about spears and arrowheads, he wouldnt assume that it was designed or natural. he simply wouldnt know. and thats the correct answer when you dont know something - "i dont know."

one of saturn's moons, iapetus, has a gigantic ridge going completely around its equator. if we followed your logic, we would have to conclude that since we have no idea how a natural process could do this, it must have been designed. but that logic is clearly garbage, because there is no evidence of any designers on iapetus. its a barren rock in the middle of nowhere. to infer design, you need to know something about the designers. you need to have hypotheses on HOW they designed, WHEN they designed, etc. you cant just say "i cant figure out a natural process that can cause this, therefore its designed." that is NOT science.

The body knows exactly how to form because of millions of lines of information precoded into the genome. IC structures are made because the information and instructions are already there to show how to build it.
no, the body doesnt "know" anything. its just chemicals doing what chemicals do. there is nothing magical about it whatsoever. your claim is akin to asking how acids and bases "know" to make water when you mix them. they dont "know" anything - thats just what they do because they follow the laws of physics.

You expect appealing to whether or not I have ignorance of subjects as to affect the validity of my claims? I'm not a paleontologist but I've researched enough on fossils to know conditions that they are needed to form and not form. This is like saying I shouldn't be allowed to drive a car because I don't know how to put one together. Enough knowledge is readily available for me to become informed on things without becoming an expert on them. An attack on my knowledge (however so well founded it may be) doesn't have anything to do with my argument. It will stand if it is correct.
im sorry but "wut r strata" is not you researching and presenting a case. its you trying to desperately evade. if the information is out there like you say, why havent you read it from the people actually doing the research? nobody in the ID camp is going out fossil hunting and describing the fossils and why they make a case for ID. all they do is wait for REAL scientists to do all the hard work and then try to snipe at it. you havent read the original sources, you just filter them all through creationist websites, so you are in no position to critique anything.

I never said there weren't any pre-cambrian fossils. Only problem is that they don't lead anywhere.
lies and ignorant bull****. you showed a plain white image and said thats what represents the pre-cambrian fossils. that implies that there werent any. and then i corrected you, so you come up with another lie. how many original research papers did you read on pre-cambrian fossils in order to make the claim that "they dont lead anywhere?" can you show me the abstracts of the papers that support this conclusion?

Yeah they aren't alike at all, they all just have a retina, a cornea, an iris, a lens, and a fluid-filled interior. All the essential parts of a working eyeball.
1) if those are "all the essential parts of a working eyeball," then NO **** theyd be similar. otherwise theyd have NON-WORKING eyeballs, and what good would that be?

2) clearly, those ARENT "all the essential parts of a working eyeball," since plenty of animals (and even plants and some bacteria can detect light!) do just fine without them.

3) altf4 already showed you an article by REAL scientists who do REAL science showing why the cephalopod eye and the vertebrate eye are not homologous. when are you going to address it? so far youve just ignored it.

Your assumption is that those structures are easy to create and then build on, my response was to that.
my post made no such assumption. in fact, it states the exact opposite. once a developmental process for a complex structure like an eye is in place, it is very HARD to change it. that is why the developmental processes for both the cephalopod eye and the vertebrate eye are good evidence that they are not homologous.

but you claim to have an alternative theory - ID. how does ID explain both the similarities and the differences between cephalopod and vertebrate eyes? oh right, it just says "the IDer wanted it that way."

that is not POSITIVE evidence for design. "the lack of any known law..." is by definition a form of NEGATIVE evidence. are you seriously this stupid? where is the POSITIVE evidence for ID? im not asking you for why you think evolution is wrong; im asking you why you think design is right. why cant you separate the two? design must stand or fall on its own merits. if you have to make any reference to evolution or "known laws" then you have already lost the battle.

You're right, it doesn't. ID claims teleology. If teleology is not found, or better said, if the opposite of teleology is found in naturalism, then ID is falsified.
ok, then ID is falsified. i just looked at a rock and found no teleology. can you stfu now? no of course not, because youre an idiot. that is NOT falsification. you dont even know how to go about "looking for teleology." you cant identify any markers that ALL designed objects have and NO non-designed objects have.

Since you see this as such undeniable proof that God heals people, then why don't you believe in God and the Bible? God obviously works miracles through Benny Hinn, why don't you express faith in him?
you didnt answer my question. what are you afraid of?

God doesn't want to remove the suffering of those people.
then god is not good. good job, youve chosen to worship a mythical sadist.

To get on a theological point, once Satan rebelled, he called, not into question God's power, but his right to rule. For God to just destroy Satan and start all over doesn't defeat the assertion that Satan raised. Satan must be allowed to make his case so it can be crushed, never to be raised again. For God to inhibit any complex that would turn against him would be to take away our free will. God has given us the ability to either or not choose to worship him.

The good thing about it is that God promises to let everyone have a chance to show their worth, no matter what course they have taken. We are no different as biological organisms as are angels in our ability to make a conscious decision.
this has nothing to do with anything.

It falsifies ID because it shows that teleology is not in the flagellum. ID doesn't make claims past what can be observed, it stays in it's box, that's why it can be falsified.
it does not falsify ID for reasons ive already given several times. now, when are you going to give an actual SCIENTIFIC EXPERIMENT that would falsify ID? do you know what falsify means? here lets make this easier for you.

1) describe in detail the ID hypothesis.
2) list logical implications that can be drawn from this hypothesis.
3) design an experiment that would test one of these logical implementations against observational evidence.

Quicksand

Smash Apprentice
nonsense. changes in skeletal structure can be achieved through sexual recombination alone - no mutation necessary. and given the time it took for the shift from reptilian skull to mammalian skull to happen, there is plenty of time for mutations to do the job. all you need to do is measure mutation rates! you are just talking out of your *** here - you really have no idea how many mutations would be required to go from reptile ear to mammal ear, and you have no idea how long it would take to do so. you are just MAKING **** UP.
Okay fine, give me a plausible evolutionary pathway for a primitive reptilian inner ear to human.

your scenario is impossible, because we DO have knowledge of spears and arrowheads. if we didnt have that knowledge, then thered be no science anyway and thered be nobody to do the asking. if you took a child too young to know anything about spears and arrowheads, he wouldnt assume that it was designed or natural. he simply wouldnt know. and thats the correct answer when you dont know something - "i dont know."
It's not impossible to consider a scenario where you have never seen a spear. If you had never seen one you would know that a natural cause could not produce it because natural causes are unintelligent and cannot result in specified information. I know that causation is required for purpose, therefore I am able to infer design.

one of saturn's moons, iapetus, has a gigantic ridge going completely around its equator. if we followed your logic, we would have to conclude that since we have no idea how a natural process could do this, it must have been designed. but that logic is clearly garbage, because there is no evidence of any designers on iapetus. its a barren rock in the middle of nowhere. to infer design, you need to know something about the designers. you need to have hypotheses on HOW they designed, WHEN they designed, etc. you cant just say "i cant figure out a natural process that can cause this, therefore its designed." that is NOT science.
Actually, we know exactly what causes spheres with ridges: plasma discharges.

http://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/2005/arch05/050418iapetus.htm

Besides the point. A ridge coming out of the equator of a planet (appears) not to be purposeful. Unlike a spear which has several interlocking parts to serve a purpose (hunting).

no, the body doesnt "know" anything. its just chemicals doing what chemicals do. there is nothing magical about it whatsoever. your claim is akin to asking how acids and bases "know" to make water when you mix them. they dont "know" anything - thats just what they do because they follow the laws of physics.
The body "knows" to put things in certain places because there is a massive amount of information, and like a computer and a machine, it reads it and builds a body.

im sorry but "wut r strata" is not you researching and presenting a case. its you trying to desperately evade. if the information is out there like you say, why havent you read it from the people actually doing the research? nobody in the ID camp is going out fossil hunting and describing the fossils and why they make a case for ID. all they do is wait for REAL scientists to do all the hard work and then try to snipe at it. you havent read the original sources, you just filter them all through creationist websites, so you are in no position to critique anything.
What is your point? Take my claim for what it is and stop pissing and moaning about it. If you disagree then make a counter claim.

lies and ignorant bull****. you showed a plain white image and said thats what represents the pre-cambrian fossils. that implies that there werent any. and then i corrected you, so you come up with another lie. how many original research papers did you read on pre-cambrian fossils in order to make the claim that "they dont lead anywhere?" can you show me the abstracts of the papers that support this conclusion?
Way to take my striking generalization so literally. I hope no one ever tells you that they "have a headache and it's killing them" otherwise you'll probably call 911.

Cambrian fossils are scarce and few and far between. They show little more than primitive life forms and no transition leading from it.

Here are some neato pre-cambrian fossils for you: http://www.fossilmuseum.net/Paleobiology/Precambrian-Fossils.htm

1) if those are "all the essential parts of a working eyeball," then NO **** theyd be similar. otherwise theyd have NON-WORKING eyeballs, and what good would that be?
Irises are easy to make.

2) clearly, those ARENT "all the essential parts of a working eyeball," since plenty of animals (and even plants and some bacteria can detect light!) do just fine without them.
You got me there.
3) altf4 already showed you an article by REAL scientists who do REAL science showing why the cephalopod eye and the vertebrate eye are not homologous. when are you going to address it? so far youve just ignored it.
Again, the point is that you can't account for the iris, retina, lens, etc, all evolving in a COMPLETELY separate tree of life.

but you claim to have an alternative theory - ID. how does ID explain both the similarities and the differences between cephalopod and vertebrate eyes? oh right, it just says "the IDer wanted it that way."
ID doesn't, nor tries to explain why there are similarity or differences. There isn't any reason for it to do so either.

that is not POSITIVE evidence for design. "the lack of any known law..." is by definition a form of NEGATIVE evidence. are you seriously this stupid? where is the POSITIVE evidence for ID? im not asking you for why you think evolution is wrong; im asking you why you think design is right. why cant you separate the two? design must stand or fall on its own merits. if you have to make any reference to evolution or "known laws" then you have already lost the battle.
http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/filesDB-download.php?id=986

ok, then ID is falsified. i just looked at a rock and found no teleology. can you stfu now? no of course not, because youre an idiot. that is NOT falsification. you dont even know how to go about "looking for teleology." you cant identify any markers that ALL designed objects have and NO non-designed objects have.
See above.

you didnt answer my question. what are you afraid of?
I'm answering your question by exposing the double standard you're adhering to. If you think I have to accept the claims of all these people because they couldn't all be lying, then I expect you to accept the claims of all these people who say they were healed by God, so you should express faith in God since that would be undeniable proof he exists.

then god is not good. good job, youve chosen to worship a mythical sadist.
Your mom is a mythical sadist.

this has nothing to do with anything.
It has to do with why God doesn't fix malaria as soon as I pray for it.

it does not falsify ID for reasons ive already given several times. now, when are you going to give an actual SCIENTIFIC EXPERIMENT that would falsify ID? do you know what falsify means? here lets make this easier for you.

1) describe in detail the ID hypothesis.
2) list logical implications that can be drawn from this hypothesis.
3) design an experiment that would test one of these logical implementations against observational evidence.
I think an experienced biochemist would do a better job than my non-strata definition knowing self.

http://www.arn.org/docs/behe/mb_philosophicalobjectionsresponse.htm

snex

Smash Master
Okay fine, give me a plausible evolutionary pathway for a primitive reptilian inner ear to human.
since the human inner ear is exactly like all other mammal ears, no extra work is necessary. the fossils show the path and are in the talkorigins article you still clearly havent read. why are you afraid of information written by actual scientists?

It's not impossible to consider a scenario where you have never seen a spear. If you had never seen one you would know that a natural cause could not produce it because natural causes are unintelligent and cannot result in specified information. I know that causation is required for purpose, therefore I am able to infer design.
i would not know that. i wouldnt know anything at all about how that particular object came to be, and until i started testing specific hypotheses on how it came to be, i would be ignorant. i cannot infer design from ignorance. by the same logic, if you knew nothing about erosion, you would have to conclude that a perfectly smooth rock was designed. but thats obviously wrong. ignorance of a process isnt implication of design.

Actually, we know exactly what causes spheres with ridges: plasma discharges.

http://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/2005/arch05/050418iapetus.htm
idiot, this is a pseudoscientific nonsense website. it has no science content in it whatsoever. "plasma discharges" - as this website seems to be using the phrase - arent even recognized effects. you dont even know what the term means. the simple fact is that nobody knows why iapetus has a ridge, and this is NOT evidence that it was designed.

stop using pseudoscientific garbage for references. show actual science written by actual scientists.

Besides the point. A ridge coming out of the equator of a planet (appears) not to be purposeful. Unlike a spear which has several interlocking parts to serve a purpose (hunting).
a perfectly natural rock that hasnt been worked in any way also has a purpose. you can open coconuts with it. is it designed? NO.

besides that, you have no idea what purpose the ridge on iapetus may or may not have. your ignorance of any purpose is not evidence that no purpose exists. yet again, you get stuck in an argument from ignorance.

is anybody seeing a theme with this clown?

The body "knows" to put things in certain places because there is a massive amount of information, and like a computer and a machine, it reads it and builds a body.
the body doesnt "know" anything. there is not a single thing happening in embryo development that cannot be reduced to chemistry, and even further, physics. its nothing but natural objects doing what natural objects do according to the laws of reality.

What is your point? Take my claim for what it is and stop pissing and moaning about it. If you disagree then make a counter claim.
theres nothing to disagree with. youve been evading my questions for several posts now. what are you afraid of?

Way to take my striking generalization so literally. I hope no one ever tells you that they "have a headache and it's killing them" otherwise you'll probably call 911.
dont blame me for calling you on your lies. you clearly meant to imply that there were no precambrian fossils.

Cambrian fossils are scarce and few and far between. They show little more than primitive life forms and no transition leading from it.
do you even know what a "primitive form" is? what do you think cambrian fossils are? why dont you show me some non-primitive cambrian fossils?

http://www.fossilmuseum.net/fossils/Cnidaria/Nemaia-simplex/Nemaiab.htm

you mean like that one, which is a cnidarian? say, arent cnidarians still in existence today? so much for your lie about no connections.

Irises are easy to make.
not relevant to anything i said.

Again, the point is that you can't account for the iris, retina, lens, etc, all evolving in a COMPLETELY separate tree of life.
those parts are all relatively easy to form. an iris is little more than a muscle that opens and closes. muscles are abound in animals and can easily be co-opted. a lens is nothing but a transparent film that focuses light onto the retina. transparent films are abound in animals and can easily be co-opted. a retina is nothing more than the layers of light-sensitive cells, which the common ancestor of cephalopods and vertebrates would have already had. all they needed to do was line them up in one structure.

so where is the part that cant be accounted for?

ID doesn't, nor tries to explain why there are similarity or differences. There isn't any reason for it to do so either.
if ID cant explain anything, then ID isnt science.

clearly the vertebrate eye and the cephalopod eye have similarities and they have differences. and those similarities and differences match the kinds of things we would expect if evolution were correct. if, for example, they had the same developmental pathways, but the vertebrate eye still came out backwards, evolution could not explain this.

but you claim that evolution cant explain it at all. so again, what is your alternative? where is the science you claim ID has to offer?

point 1 is not a unique point to ID. evolution makes the same prediction. so the presence of complex functional structures is neither evidence for evolution or ID.

point 2 makes a failed prediction. the cambrian explosion is NOT what they claim it is. dont take my word for it, read the original papers by the scientists studying the fossils.

point 3, just like point 1, is shared by evolution. the presence of reused materials is neither evidence of evolution or ID. however, evolution makes specific predictions about WHICH materials will be reused, how they will be reused, and in what organisms we will find them being reused. ID cannot make such predictions.

point 4 makes a failed prediction. most junk DNA is still plain old junk. there are repeats, pseudogenes, retroviral insertions, and many more parts of DNA that have been shown to be useless. removing these stretches of DNA from organisms yields NO difference in the organism whatsoever.

so thats the best you have? two points that evolution already has covered, and better, and two points that make predictions that have already been falsified? pretty pathetic, dont you think?

I'm answering your question by exposing the double standard you're adhering to. If you think I have to accept the claims of all these people because they couldn't all be lying, then I expect you to accept the claims of all these people who say they were healed by God, so you should express faith in God since that would be undeniable proof he exists.
im not holding the double standard. you are. even if you dont believe in current healings, you believe that 1) god has the ability to heal people, and 2) jesus DID perform healings, and finally 3) jesus specifically states in the bible that if you pray to be healed, you will.

so did jesus lie?

I think an experienced biochemist would do a better job than my non-strata definition knowing self.

http://www.arn.org/docs/behe/mb_philosophicalobjectionsresponse.htm
behe is confused. he doesnt seem to know the difference between falsifying ID and falsifying irreducible complexity. irreducible complexity is indeed a falsifiable idea. just show the steps that it took to evolve something, and IC is falsified.

ID, however, is NOT falsifiable. behe is making the non-sequitur that IC -> ID. but this does not logically hold. even if evolution couldnt explain IC structures, there could be some other yet-undiscovered-but-perfectly-natural mechanism that could explain them. leaping to the conclusion of an intelligent designer is nothing more than an argument from ignorance. if you want a designer on the table, you need positive evidence of that designer, not claims that evolution couldnt do something.

yossarian22

Smash Journeyman
Now there's someone we haven't seen in a while.

Technically, an ID proponent might be able to make that claim, Yossarian. But realistically, ID is a christian idea. The "designer" is never intended to be an open ended concept, but rather specifically the christian god.
Eh, its been been a month or so? Not that long.

Huh, most of the official IDers are afraid to mention anything religious at all, but that's changing after the courts (rightly) rejected their arguments a half dozen time. The whole point of ID was to take creationism and strip away theism from it. It was amusing to see their attempts at arguments though.

PS: There's not too many theists in the DH these days... I think Snex scares them off...
That is a shame. Not because I particularly like theists, but because it seems that many people are unable to defend their beliefs from fairly cliched attacks.

edit: This whole debate was about ID being compatible with evolution? That's surprising.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
You do realize that one mutation can have a wide variety of effects because genes interact. So the way a mutation affects the phenotype of one organism can (and to an extent will) be different from the way it effects another of the same organism. This can produce a large enough degree of phenotypic variation in multicellular organisms to change its environmental fitness. Furthermore for single celled organisms, a single mutation CAN produce a large enough difference to change an organisms environmental fitness. Simply because DNA is translated into RNA and RNA is translated into proteins. A single genetic change in a single celled organism will produce a change in a protein produced by that cell and a single protein has a large enough impact on a single celled organism to effect its ability to survive and reproduce.

snex

Smash Master
You do realize that one mutation can have a wide variety of effects because genes interact. So the way a mutation affects the phenotype of one organism can (and to an extent will) be different from the way it effects another of the same organism. This can produce a large enough degree of phenotypic variation in multicellular organisms to change its environmental fitness. Furthermore for single celled organisms, a single mutation CAN produce a large enough difference to change an organisms environmental fitness. Simply because DNA is translated into RNA and RNA is translated into proteins. A single genetic change in a single celled organism will produce a change in a protein produced by that cell and a single protein has a large enough impact on a single celled organism to effect its ability to survive and reproduce.
back in the 70s some researchers discovered bacteria that had evolved the ability to metabolize nylon, an artificial substance. the exact mutation that allowed this was discovered - turns out it was piece of junk DNA that got turned on by a mutation.

more recently, a long term experiment was performed in which bacteria were evolved to metabolize citrate, and many many generations of the bacteria were frozen, so that the researchers could go back and look at each one and see the steps involved. they discovered that at generation 20,000 or so, a mutation happened that did not do anything in particular at all, but nonetheless became fixed in the population due to neutral drift, but at around generation 35,000, another mutation that depended on the first mutation happened that enabled the bacteria to metabolize the citrate.

edit: yossarian, im sorry that you find logic and facts to be "cliched" but do you really expect to see originality in logical arguments? its logic, it hasnt changed, and its not going to change. the correct arguments are going to be just as they were when they were first made.

Quicksand

Smash Apprentice
And Quicksand, just stop. There is no room to debate ID vs Evolution.
I'm not debating ID vs. evolution at all. I fully accept evolution and it isn't at odds at all with ID. ID is at odds against scientific naturalism.

The problem with ID is that the ones trying to push it into schools are the ones who are going against well founded scientific fact. There are the intellectually honest ones that are working on an ID model that doesn't have strict Biblical undertones to it. Those people are using ID just to get rid of evolutionary theory because it conflicts with their fundamentalist views of the Bible.

I'll respond to snex tomorrow, when I'm not so tired.

snex

Smash Master
"scientific naturalism?" as opposed to what, exactly? science only uses testable models. supernatural models arent testable.

go cry to somebody who cares. science WORKS and doesnt need to change its rules to accommodate anybody's superstitions.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I find no matter how many quotes from the bible people present to me, no matter how many arguments people present to me, I do not believe in god. There are just too many questions that religious people cannot answer and provide silly replies because they have no answer for them.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I know, Snex. I've asked Quicksand twice now for a coherent meaning of "supernatural" and have yet to receive an acknowledgment.

yossarian22

Smash Journeyman
I'm not debating ID vs. evolution at all. I fully accept evolution and it isn't at odds at all with ID. ID is at odds against scientific naturalism.
Then I misunderstood what you were debating. I took the comment down.
"Scientific" naturalism is a bit redundant and unclear. The major classes of naturalism are ontological (metaphysical) and methodological.

"scientific naturalism?" as opposed to what, exactly?
Methodological naturalism or some other world view. There are dozens.
go cry to somebody who cares. science WORKS and doesnt need to change its rules to accommodate anybody's superstitions.
It's not an either or proposition. I can reject naturalism as a whole and still utilize science. Naturalism is just the acceptance of reductionist materialism (either as an absolute truth or a necessary truth) combined with the notion that science is the best method for observation. There is no particular reason for me to accept both
I know, Snex. I've asked Quicksand twice now for a coherent meaning of "supernatural" and have yet to receive an acknowledgment.
To a naturalist, there can never be a coherent definition of supernatural, so that may be a tad bit unfair. Ironically enough, metaphysical naturalism needs supernatural evidence in order to provide a noncircular proof of itself.

snex

Smash Master
Methodological naturalism or some other world view. There are dozens.
methodological naturalism is not a worldview. the word "methodological" should have tipped you off to this. quicksand was railing against "scientific naturalism," as if there were some other way to do science besides a naturalistic way.

It's not an either or proposition. I can reject naturalism as a whole and still utilize science. Naturalism is just the acceptance of reductionist materialism (either as an absolute truth or a necessary truth) combined with the notion that science is the best method for observation. There is no particular reason for me to accept both.
the reason to accept both is science itself. science is not merely the best method for observation, it is the ONLY KNOWN RELIABLE method for observation. until some better or even slightly reliable other method comes along, science is all you have. and given science, philosophical naturalism is the only conclusion the evidence can support.

To a naturalist, there can never be a coherent definition of supernatural, so that may be a tad bit unfair. Ironically enough, metaphysical naturalism needs supernatural evidence in order to provide a noncircular proof of itself.
there can never be a coherent definition of "supernatural" regardless of one's philosophical leanings. the sole purpose of the word is to label things we know dont exist but want to continue believing in anyway. if the activities of deities were as prevalent in our lives as they allegedly were in the old testament, we would consider deities to be perfectly natural phenomena. no doubt the ancients thought of them as such. they had no use for words like "supernatural."

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
the reason to accept both is science itself. science is not merely the best method for observation, it is the ONLY KNOWN RELIABLE method for observation. until some better or even slightly reliable other method comes along, science is all you have. and given science, philosophical naturalism is the only conclusion the evidence can support.

Erm... circular logic... something cannot support itself.

there can never be a coherent definition of "supernatural" regardless of one's philosophical leanings. the sole purpose of the word is to label things we know dont exist but want to continue believing in anyway. if the activities of deities were as prevalent in our lives as they allegedly were in the old testament, we would consider deities to be perfectly natural phenomena. no doubt the ancients thought of them as such. they had no use for words like "supernatural."
That's a fundamentally naturalist worldview, which was was he was pointing out. To somebody who isn't a naturalist, "supernatural" has a totally different connotation.

Under a naturalist worldview they would be a natural phenomenon, but under other worldviews that would not be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom