• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Playing with with only 12 characters has been working since 1999.

Once again, the main thing that bothers me about your stance is how you arrived there. "We didn't need it then so lets ban it now" isn't a good way to go into a new game.

This game really doesn't feel so similar to Brawl for me. Only in vague ways that could also apply Project M or Melee (basic interactions with move priority, ringouts). You specifically cited a major difference from Brawl and Melee as justification for Wii Fit Studio and Coliseum being legalized (chaingrabs/waveshining being gone).

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Majority of Brawl had MK legal. Guess what? He was a major contribution to the game's death. Houston: one of the only major places to ban him.
Houston Brawl scene slowed and died before all other major scenes. WC and EC remained active for a while after we did and Japan never banned MK and played the game until the end of last year.

frcShoryuken

Smash Cadet
Majority of Brawl had MK legal. Guess what? He was a major contribution to the game's death. Houston: one of the only major places to ban him.
How did that affect the draw from out of town players coming here for tourneys? Did Houston players travel much to play the major tourneys in other areas?

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Some OOS came for the MK banned events. Our top players (including me) much traveled out to other events. MK events were terrible. Double MKs in teams was worse lol.

Krebs

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else who does want to do customs on top of SAM 3, I got 2 more spots left.
Dibs. So down to go. Also Ultra Arcade (where the Sunday weeklies are hosted) is a badass venue with cool owners. Looks obscure from the outside but once you get in... its coo

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
GGs Kprime. I gotta go to sleep soon now tho.

Customs doe looool

Edit: Also, what do you think of that MU? Seems effing hard for Falcon lol.

Last edited:

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Yeah, ggs. Those custom games were fun. I just wish I had more to mess around with. I would've done DK UpB dittos.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Will you be going and if so can you take me?

Looking at the bracket and oh lordy lots of good players there! karna putting in work, gnes making it through losers
I'm working so I can't :(

Krebs my carpool is full already however its cool if you're willing to take another one. More Houston the better.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Tournament was intense here's the placings.

1. Fliphop
2. Karna (Beat Gnes 2-1 then 3-1)
3. Gnes
4. BC
5. Zori

Last edited:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Sorry, just saw this post. It kinda answers my last post

So hypothetically, let's say the Evo experiment this year really takes off. The large majority end up loving customs and it becomes the standard everywhere... would you still not want to include them in the Houston scene?
The "majority" or "masses" or "public" think at a very low level in terms of growth/sustainability. They do not think about the long term. They have proven time and time and time and time again that their personal needs are greater than than that of the whole.

MK and a low stage count lead to the over population of MK/Olimar/Diddy/ICs which in turn decayed the state of Brawl through camping/defensive play/timing out and thus our interest in the game....collectively speaking. All brought on by the "public" thinking about their wallet/fame.

You cannot allow the people to determine how the game goes or else you will get another brawl. This is why TOs are above players. Above player in the sense that they should be doing what it takes to preserve the life of the game and the quality of the game. I do this and this is why ive been hosting recording breaking, fun garnering and LEGENDARY events since 2004.

Playing with with only 12 characters has been working since 1999.

Once again, the main thing that bothers me about your stance is how you arrived there. "We didn't need it then so lets ban it now" isn't a good way to go into a new game.

This game really doesn't feel so similar to Brawl for me. Only in vague ways that could also apply Project M or Melee (basic interactions with move priority, ringouts). You specifically cited a major difference from Brawl and Melee as justification for Wii Fit Studio and Coliseum being legalized (chaingrabs/waveshining being gone).
Playing with 12 characters? wtf? never in any smash game has 12 characters been the final meta. it always narrows down to about 7. Smash 64 is prob at 3-4.

It does not matter how i arrive at any given point so long as im correct/making this scene large and fun. So far, this scene is MASSIVE, the tournaments with my rules (or a flavor of my rules) are fun and i am correct.

And Smash 4 is most def the closest thing to brawl the smash series has ever had.

Brawl power shielding, brawl multi airdodge, aura, bananas.....etc all these brawlisms aare still here. Then you throw on even more casualistic aspects like ledge trumping and rage....etc this game is EXTREMELY casual and thus more similar to brawl than any other smash game.

Houston Brawl scene slowed and died before all other major scenes. WC and EC remained active for a while after we did and Japan never banned MK and played the game until the end of last year.
This is factually incorrect. Houston outlasted all major cities in TX as well as the entire southwest and mid west. Hell, my MK banned regional/national/monthlies broke all MK banned records in the entire WORLD. Also, 99.9% of the time, i only held brawl events while the rest of the USA used melee/pm to help feed brawl numbers. Furthermore, it is extremely unfair to compare the 2 largest masses of people (West coast and East coast) in the USA to ONE state. WC consists of California, Oregon, and Washington. EC consists of Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia. EC also regularly gets North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida in attendance. Oh and another terrible comparison when you compared an entire country of japan to the state of tx. Tokyo alone has 38million people in it. The entire state of TX has only 26-27 million people. In all cases, assuming you understand probability, there is a MUCH HIGHER possibility of events/people willing to play over there than there is here. Despite those odds, i had the longest running Brawl only series, Many of which broke records that some states never had seen even in their entire span of existence. In Brawl, Houston also had the 2nd best snake (Grim) and diddy (gnes). The best Samus (xyro) and the best lucario (trela). Tx had even more like the best Sonic (espy) and 2nd best olimar (denti). You think this WASNT because of what i have done?

As usual, you really dont understand (or appreciate) what ive done for this city. Imagine if i never started events. You, along with many others def wouldnt be as good as you all are currently and you def wouldnt be playing smash as hardcore as you do. Most all of you owe your beginning, growth and success in competitive smash to HOBO/WHOBO (brawl days) or TGC (smash 4 days) and other events ive helped run. I dont want thanks. I just want you guys to leave the work to me. Ive never steered you wrong before and i dont do this for personal gain. I dont make money from this stuff and clearly the rules dont make me win tournaments. I do what i do to ensure you guys have a clean, fun and "fair" (as best as i can without the quality lowering) event for casuals as well as competitive players.

I may not do things "the best way" but what i do works and works quite well. Ive proven that.

Last edited:

Xyro77

I dont care who goes with me on the field trip to SA for SAM 3 but please know that i will not be staying the night. I will leave Houston Sat morning and return Sat night. This give all of us time to enjoy our Easter sunday with friends/family....etc and saves you lots of money on food/housing.....etc.

Karna and Avoid are with me so far. I can hold 4-5 more.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Xyro, I am actually somewhat interested again if it is a one-day thing. I'll let you know by next week.

Oni•n

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Onion546714
3DS FC
5129-2796-7326
I want to go as well. I'll let you know sometime next week whether I can go or not.

Last edited:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
I can take up to 7 people.

Right now it's

Xyro
KJ
Avoid
I dont care who goes with me on the field trip to SA for SAM 3 but please know that i will not be staying the night. I will leave Houston Sat morning and return Sat night. This give all of us time to enjoy our Easter sunday with friends/family....etc and saves you lots of money on food/housing.....etc.

Karna and Avoid are with me so far. I can hold 4-5 more.
and KJ

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
I'm working so I can't :(

Krebs my carpool is full already however its cool if you're willing to take another one. More Houston the better.
Aww dang :/

Anybody going to the tournament this weekend in Katy?

Xyro77

ok done, added KJ. ill figure out times to meet at syncs or something later on today.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
For what purpose?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Go catch-up in MH, you damn Brawl ****. Gea and I are about to dive into G-rank madness.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
So many scam events here in houston. Stop attending them :(
I have a pretty good feel on what and what not to attend Houston wise. Always good to show face to some of these tournaments and encourage people to attend TGC if they didn't hear about it or what not.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Reminds me of that Trash Day tournament. What a terrible ending that was.

Whispy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LegendaryLui
After reading all of this, i wouldn't mind Xyro banning Diddy if it leads up to it. id be sad but i would probably still attend his tournaments due to the fact that i want to have fun competing and pretty much enjoy the game still. But if he allows customs, id probably not attend... lol, i agree with RT on them being more like items or to be used just for fun, but that's just imo and my reasons on that are pretty much self-explanatory. (refer to the posts by all the anti-customs peeps)

Xyro77

I have a pretty good feel on what and what not to attend Houston wise. Always good to show face to some of these tournaments and encourage people to attend TGC if they didn't hear about it or what not.
It's not worth it if they steal your money, man :( :( :(

Top Bottom