• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesh

Smash Hero
First tournament experiences may be intimidating for the average person. It's a new group of people, you don't know what's going to happen, and you don't know your place in the community. Sometimes a loss may come at a shock or you may win when you think you won't. Things are unpredictable and you definitely learn something about your actual interest in the game or its players.

But whether or not you make the decision to stay committed, there are tons of dynamics and personalities in play that really make or break a Smash Crew, a Smash Scene, a Smash Region, what-have-you. And it really, it all boils down to attitude...

"Serious and Playful"

Ever hear the complaint that pros just don't give newbies the time of day? Or that pros are elitist and that they only think about themselves and what their interests are? For the people that raise these complaints, take note: a professional, or talented individual in their field, does not owe TRAINING to ANYONE with less talent than them. Respect and time are not entitlements; respect and time are shared because they were EARNED.

Before you press PAGEDOWN and type out your flames, please give me a chance to explain the situation. Let's start with a hypothetical: have you ever BEEN a PRO or LEADER in your community? Have you ever had anything of value that people desperately wanted?

A professional or talent in their field is usually bombarded constantly with requests for training, skills, tips, etc. It comes with being good at something: your services are requested. With such a high demand for people to play with them, they cannot play and teach everyone. It's impossible! So requests and newbies are all filtered.

When I was President of the Multicultural Greek Council at my school, I used to get requests for funding, or questions about hours or something. It was physically impossible to satisfy all incoming questions so I usually gave my time and energy to the people I thought were "cool." People that did not inundate me with details about technical bi-laws or greek bull****. People I could be A PERSON, with.

Here are the individuals that are usually FILTERED AND NOT PLAYED WITH:

The Know-It-All
This is someone that keeps talking about the game, even when the TVs are off and everyone wants to eat Carne Asada Fries. This is the guy that knows the frame advantage of Yoshi's forward-tilt on Donkey Kong at 65%, and always seems to question a pros EVERY MOVE.

Usual Culprits: people on SmashBoards with high post counts in their character boards, SmashBoards mods, Wifi Players

The Negative Nancy
This is the guy that gets frustrated at the status quo. The person that just can't accept the ways of the world around him at that point in time. The person that just keeps living in denial about why his character sucks in certain match-ups and is always one loss away from throwing his controller in frustration.

Usual Culprits: people on SmashBoards with high posts counts in their character boards, most pro-ban players, the entire state of Arizona from 2005 - 2009

Robin
These are the ****y ****s that think just because they have some semblance of natural talent or may have gotten a lucky win, they think they're too cool to play with people that are actually better with them. They stay with the "Teen Titans" for fear of getting whomped on by the "Justice Leagues." They're predatory, needy, and afraid, and you can smell them from a mile away.

Usual Culprits: you can hear them asking Nexus for a money match, you can hear them crying about not being on their region's PR, you can hear them bragging about learning a characters match-up from someone worse than the person they beat in that match-up

Sure, I had a little fun with the list, and I think every single one of us has exhibited these qualities at some point or another, but the fact remains that your behavior, and attitude, as a player, determines whether or not people will want to play with you, and train you.

People usually like Young Blood in their communities. The second I realized that TearBear was determined to go to Genesis 1 when he had only been visiting Havok's House for a month, I made it a point to integrate him into the community and make him our own. Veterans love Young Blood and newcomers; but they just have to avoid the personalities listed above, they have to shut up, and they have to be "cool" in the sense that they have to be fun, normal people.

Here are some things to facilitate your welcome into a community:

- Be serious and playful: play your matches like you want to win them; lose with some dignity, and laugh at your mistakes and learn from them.

- Smile and say "Hi" to people: be social, and meet people; no one is going to hate you or avoid you unless you outright disrespect them or exude a negative vibe.

- Step away from the game and be normal at appropriate times: when discussions are about carne asada fries, KEEP THEM ABOUT carne asada fries.

- Don't ever, ever, ever talk about your wins or losses unless someone asks you about them, and EVEN THEN, BE BRIEF AND THAT'S IT! I think this is self-explanatory.
where did you steal this from?

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (1 members and 0 guests)
Illmatic.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 6 (6 members and 0 guests)
Zano Shiran, Chris, Sinister Slush, Tesh, Good Ol' Tree, CY

Most users ever online was 4,206, 03-10-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Zano Shiran, ∫unk, *Cam*, ---, -QuesoKirby-, -Ran, .Chipmunk., 0Room, 1PokeMastr, 40secondz, :mad:, A Pimp Named Slickback, A-Laon, Admiral Pit, Aerodrome, Airborne, ajajayjay, Alex Strife, Almo, Alphicans, altairian, Anaky, Angbad, archibald, Asa, asob4, Auspher, B Link, BanjoKazooiePro, Bizkit047, Bl@ckChris, Black Mantis, bladeofapollo, BleachigoZX, Blissard, bliu12, BlueZelda, Bomber7, Boofy!, breez, BSL, Budai578, bundtcake, CA5H, Caleb Wolfbrand, camerino1, Captain L, CaptainFalcon9000, Carroll, Cdubs1987, CelestialMarauder~, chillindude829, ChocoNaner, Chris, Chuee, clowsui, cmart, CountKaiser, Croi, crush, Cruxis, CunningKitsune, CY, D. Disciple, DannyG, Dark Kakashi, darkm3tr01d, Darkshadow7827, Darkshadow96, dcx1287, deathbysuarez, debaser, defsithe, Delta Z, DeLux, DelxDoom, derkapalooza+, dettadeus, Diglob, DJ Arcatek, DMG, DoH, DoraNeko, Dr Peepee, Dr.Brawl, DRDN, DRN, DualCats, DumberChild, durb, DVC4011, Dyclone, Eclipsing Binary, ElNoNombreHombre, Espy Kasrani+, F1SHY, Falco400, FalseFalco, felipe_9595, FishBait73, Fluttershy, Fly_Amanita, Fobmescs, FoxLisk, Fynal, g2g4gold, Gamedominator06, Gatlin, GDX, GhllieShdeKnife, Gio, Glyph, GOAT22, GoldShadow, Good Ol' Tree, Gova, Hara, heytallman, HolyNightmaress, Hoots, Hylian, Ice_Cream, Ignatius, iKiLLOTz, Iliad, iLight, Illmatic.+, ImperfeCt, ipitydatfu, ivansolid93, izzy24, J-Birds, Jace08, Jam Stunna, jarvitz, jason_voorhese329, Jasou, Jebril, Jiangjunizzy, john2k4, joYYYYY, jpak, justaway12, Kantrip, Kaptain, KenniSpam!, King Luigi 128, KingKong_ad, Kinzer, kitsuneko345, KoozyKRIS, KRDsonic, Kuares, KumaOso, Kupo Rose, Kuraudo, Kuro~, leafgreen386, leafshadow, Linguini, Lol., Lord_Megahertz, Luckay4Lyphe, Luigitoilet, Luminoth64, LumpyCPU..., M3D, Maharba the Mystic, malva00, MarthTrinity, Masmasher@, Massive, Master Raven, MasterShake, Mattnumbers, megaminerzero, Mekos, mentholcase, metroid1117, Mike G, Mike2, MonkUnit, Mr H, munkus beaver, Mushroomring, MVD, Nabe, Nairo, Napos, Ndayday 4Ever, NewJerusalem, NickRiddle, Nicole, NoLifeKing, Nurotasama, O D I N, Oasis_S, OiVayne, Ookami, oowoon, ORLY, Oro?!, Pakman, Palpi, Patriotic Zero (PTZR), PEEF!, Peek~, pesticide, peterdinosaurous, Phantom Gamer, PhantomX, Phoenix_lord1010, pidgezero_one, PKnightmare, Player-1, Prince Nero, Private Eye, professor mgw, Psionics, Psycho Waffle, PwnerBren7, Red Ryu, Redd, Riddlebox, Ripple, Robfox, Rockettrainer, rokimomi, s2j, sambo400, samox, SangfroidWarrior, Savon, Scatz, SCOTU, Scythe, Seikend, Sethlon, Shadic, Shadowblade, ShardFenix, Sharky, Sharkz, Shaya, Shortiecanbrawl, Silfa, Sinister Slush, Sir Combee, SKidd, Slaps, SlashTalon, Sleek Media, SmashChu, smashfan666, SNG, Snoopy, Sold2, solecalibur, Sonic Storm, SothE700k, Sparta Kick, Spoon~, spudzalot, SqLeon, standardtoaster, Steam, stingers, Strong Bad, Super Smash Bros. Fan, SuperMetroid44, SwayneGang, swordgard, Sync., SypherPhoenix, T-block, takieddine, Tarmogoyf, TCRhade, Technical_Chase, Teczero, Teh Brettster, Tesh, TestAlt, TheBuzzSaw, theeboredone, theunabletable, the_irish_dude, THuGz, Thunderhorse+, TLOC2210, tmw_redcell, TokyoGamer7, Tom, Toomai, Tope, Trela, Trowa Barton, tufts!, Twinkie, Two-Ell, Tyranitarphantom, Tyson651, ulises3000, UltimateRazer, Underload, UTDZac, ValTroX, vanforum, Vermanubis, vicgur, VSC.D-Torr, Vult Redux, vVv ChiboSempai, Vyse, Watkins, Werekill, What's The Point, Winston, wizardFACE, wWw Dazwa, X iLink X, x13mako, Xyro77, Xzax Kasrani, Yhii, Yink, Yonder, Yoshara, ZeldaFreak0309, ZERO..., Zeroxius, ZodiakLucien, Zoro, _Balz, _GrapE_, _Kadaj_, _Yes!_, ~Firefly~, ~TBS~, ~~X~~

Good Ol' Tree

Smash Ace
NNID
Garnitrex
As if voting for MK to be banned will make a difference. MK more than likely won't be banned. Too many people on the east coast play him, and all the top players that don't play MK say he isn't broken even though an MK has placed first at nearly every major tournament for the past year or so (only major ones I can think of are two of the MLGs, and Apex 2010).

Face it, you're going to lose unless you play MK. So quit voting, and start practicing.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
As if voting for MK to be banned will make a difference. MK more than likely won't be banned. Too many people on the east coast play him, and all the top players that don't play MK say he isn't broken even though an MK has placed first at nearly every major tournament for the past year or so (only major ones I can think of are two of the MLGs, and Apex 2010).

Face it, you're going to lose unless you play MK. So quit voting, and start practicing.
Im not allowed to say much but i can say this.

Unlike the BBR, the BBRRC recognizes data/statistics/poll results.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Hey Chris and Maharba, stop posting that link everywhere, its LITERALLY ALREADY ON THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF EVERY PAGE ALREADY!!

Le vieux lapin

Smash Ace
So that means MK wins again because he is the most played character. Therefor more anti-ban votes.
Even MK players know he is ludicrously broken. Why do you think they play him?
I would hope they would be the first to recognize his evil needs to be banned.

But they won't.

Yeah Tesh I just posted it on two threads and KRD's page. I'm done.
You're not salty that your new charecter's up for ban, are you?

Tesh

Smash Hero
Whatever, I'm gonna enjoy my MK while I can, then I'll retire in C tier or B tier on the PR when he is banned. Its all good.

Le vieux lapin

Smash Ace
Are you agreeing or disagreeing?
Oh I disagree with the ban on theoretical levels, because MK can be overcome,
and because one ban would lead to the destruction of the broken upper tier via other bans.

But in practice, and as a player of a charecter that MK destroys, I say

BURN THE WITCH!!!

No disrespect toward most Mk players though. Most are better than me regardless of their
charecter choice. I simply don't like the ones that play him only because of his god-tier status.

It seems obvious to me that any charecter on a GOD-tier, needs a little restriction. Maybe not
a total ban, but restriction nontheless. I'm just bitter from losing to him tho I guess.

Btw isn't talking about THIS subject punishable by infractions? IDK I heard somewhere it was... So back to Exodia.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
then i use exodia

you can't tell me there are new cards to stop this ****er are there?
Doesn't work fool.

Exodia the Forbidden One: When you add the fifth piece to your hand and declare that you win the Duel, you are using a victory condition. You are not activating a monster's effect, so "Divine Wrath" cannot be activated.

/inb4iwasayugiohjudge

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I think you just got 9'd.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
Doesn't work fool.

Exodia the Forbidden One: When you add the fifth piece to your hand and declare that you win the Duel, you are using a victory condition. You are not activating a monster's effect, so "Divine Wrath" cannot be activated.

/inb4iwasayugiohjudge

I know it doesn't work, but he didn't.

y u ruin iiiiit.

and I am a judge btw, lol.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion

Your post is wrong.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card cannot be Special Summoned except with "Orichalcos Shunoros". When this card is Special Summoned, send all cards from your hand to the Graveyard and reduce your Life Points to 0. As long as this monster remains on your field, you cannot lose the Duel. This card cannot declare an attack unless you send the top 10 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard.

k

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
An exodia deck can win before your opponent even gets a turn nowadays.

but the risk of it not going off first turn kinda kills a lot of people's desire to use it.

It's fairly consistent tho, just effect veiler ****ing up royal magical library means gg right thar.

CY

Smash Ace
An exodia deck can win before your opponent even gets a turn nowadays.

but the risk of it not going off first turn kinda kills a lot of people's desire to use it.

It's fairly consistent tho, just effect veiler ****ing up royal magical library means gg right thar.
oh my godddddddddddd please stop with the YuGiOh

yugioh was the **** tho back when I was in like 7th grade, that's what was hot in the streets. I had that one badass dragon, I forgot his name tho. blue eyed black dragon i think?

pokemon card game was always superior though, but that was more 5th grade ****. moral of the story, grow up niglets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom