• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I thought it was a tape cassette player.

Smoom77

Smash Master
There seem to be a lot of music teaching jobs, whether at public schools or privately. My sister is a vocal performance/choral ed major and she wants to sing or teach at the high school/college level.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Teach music doesn't suck if you enjoy teaching music. Also, high school lvl teaching and dealing stupid teens is a hell of alot more stressful than college teaching.

Highschool=kids MUST be there
College=kids WANT to be there

That makes the difference.

Xyro77

Tesh, if I record some matches on your wii, would it be possible to request a song on a specific stage or two? If not, it's fine.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
With music classes, at least in middle school, usually the kids are excited to go to those classes, rather than another math/reading/english/etc. class. And usually at least half the kids in those classes really do want to learn and get better at whatever instrument you're teaching them. Usually when people wait until high school to start taking a music class though, they do it just because they didn't know what else to take. So it would suck teaching some kind of beginner music class at high school level.

Though I might be bias since I went to a music middle school (Johnston) and saw how the music program there worked, and I occasionally went to the piano class at my high school as a guest performer, and usually most of the people there seemed like they didn't really care much for it (if they did they would've started music earlier than high school).

Edit: If I happen to get to teach something like advance piano instead of just beginning piano, then I could also probably write out piano versions of things that the students want to play. I dunno, I just know that back when I was taking music classes, it would've been awesome if they did that for us. I know my ex mentioned before about her piano teacher wrote out piano versions of music that they wanted to play, so rather than playing boring stuff they'd never heard before, they were getting to play songs in front of the school that everyone knew. I'd be the kind of music teacher who would go that extra step to make the class more interesting and make people think "Wow, they're playing that? I want to be in that person's class!"

:059:

Igetitpoppin01

Smash Apprentice
Math itself is a numerical language that describes things, so you can describe almost everything with math(maybe everything), so just about everything can be described with math, it is a pretty good language to describe things.

Tldr; Math can be applied to anything.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Music itself is a numerical language that describes things, so you can describe almost everything with music(maybe everything), so just about everything can be described with music, it is a pretty good language to describe things.

Tldr; Music can be applied to anything.

Xyro77

I took my 2nd math test today. felt really bad about it. ill have my grade tomorrow around 12:30.

Gea

Smash Master
Teach music doesn't suck if you enjoy teaching music. Also, high school lvl teaching and dealing stupid teens is a hell of alot more stressful than college teaching.

Highschool=kids MUST be there
College=kids WANT to be there

That makes the difference.
I will never teach lower than college lvl unless I HAVE to.
It's much, much easier to get a job in the public school system than at a university. Teaching at a lower level beefs up your resume while you are getting your PHD. And depending on what you teach in college, the teaching segment may not even be your primary job; lots of professors are expected to remain relevant in their roles, which means getting published for continued research.

Xyro77

My field (history) and my degree goal (masters) doesnt need me to "remain relevant." Something like science or computer stuff then yeah id agree.

And yeah HS is def easier to get into but the power/respect (or lack of) is an insult to what i would have achieved up to that point. Plus, you need a teaching cert and i dont wanna waste more money and time on that crap.

PLENTY of college teachers start off as adjuncts(which sucks) but eventually become full time.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Allan teaching classes would be...interesting.

Gea

Smash Master
History professors at any decently high level college are expected to remain relevant and published in their field. History is no exception to this. The way many colleges function now is that graduate students fill up lots of faculty positions for less pay, requiring the college to retain less staff on hand. I'm not trying to tell you what you should and shouldn't go for; don't teach a level you don't want to teach, but professorial teaching can be a very difficult field to break into right now.

On the university level and in some colleges, in addition to teaching, a history professor must also engage in professional development. This includes attending conferences, conducting original research, and publishing. Failure to publish can result in denial of tenure, and while tenured professors are generally safe in terms of being able to keep their jobs, they tend to publish and stay active in academia for the purpose of obtaining grants, adding prestige to their institutions, and attracting new students.
Here's what we do:
Research. That includes visiting archives, library research, fieldwork, etc., but mostly involves constant writing. We are expected to publish consistently in top journals and to write books in order to keep our jobs.
Other publications. We are expected to write book reviews and make other such contributions to our field of study on a regular basis. This includes major work like editing series of books for publishers, as well as minor work like writing articles for encyclopedias.
I have several publishing projects of my own going right now: a textbook that tries to tell the story of the American people in a new way the Oxford Book of the American South that has the capacity to reach an audience beyond any classroom, and a very large research project that is trying to create one of the first books to take advantage of the exciting development of the so-called electronic super-highway. All of these projects are extremely exciting to me and influence the way I teach every day. And virtually all of it is done in what appears to people outside academic life as the "spare time" of breaks, summers and leaves.
A typical university professor teaches just a few courses – sometimes out of textbooks that they themselves wrote – and focus on areas that they studied and fell in love with as teens, so there isn’t a lot of homework to do, per se. However, they are highly encouraged to write. “Publish or perish” is the refrain from the Dean. So they research and kibbitz and hire their best graduate students to help them write their next book. Pretty cool if you love doing that stuff.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-a-history-professor-do.htm#did-you-know
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070207224035AASdEm3
http://www.virginia.edu/insideuva/textonlyarchive/93-12-10/7.txt
http://www.shmoop.com/careers/post-secondary-teacher-history-professor/

Xyro77

Allan teaching classes would be...interesting.
Smash Xyro and Real life Xyro are different. Just like online Xyro and Smash Xyro are different.

It wont be THAT weird. Once i start teaching, some of you can come and sit in once or twice. Ive done that with some of my friends who teach now.

Xyro77

Many two-year professors are expected to do the same things.
I've had 2 female and 1 male history teacher in junior college. Not one of them have had to do any of that while stationed there. All they say is that its an awesome easy job with great benefits once you finally get in.

try again, nerd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom