• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Popertop

Smash Champion
Just updated my information.

Man, I really hope someone finds a weakness for Olimar aside from his gimpable recovery.
A way to kill his pikmin or something...

heytallman

CTALL
Hey TGM, is the list on the first page the final list for the stages for the tournament? I'm still wondering why Isle Delfino is only set on counterpick. And why is Luigi's Mansion on neutral?

Stiltzskin

Smash Apprentice
I just got back from animematsuri. If people think edgeguarding is out in this game, take a look at Mr. 3000's Dedede. It'll make you eat your words. Btw, for the people that are having trouble with pika, learn mario. Great counter pick.

Olimar FTW.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
That's the thing, edgeguarding isn't out, we just don't know how to do it EFFECTIVELY because we haven't played the game enough. Most people just want gimp kills, which I'm glad are gone for the most part (tether recoveries are the exception, but you can still get around it). Oh noes, we have to work for kills now or be more aggressive with edgeguarding instead of just rolling back onto the stage. That's...just TERRIBLE. WHAT A TERRIBLE GAME.

*obvious sarcasm*

Gea

Smash Master
Eh, Halberd should not be on neutral and nor should Kanto be (but Kanto isn't the end of the world) as now 3/4ths of the transformations invite camping and stalling. Unfortunate reality of things.

Good to see Delphino on the random, that's the stage I'm really fighting for currently.

Also Skyworld isn't banned? That's temple part II.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
again,RT u dont get why we dislike this game.

its slower
over all, combos are harder to do(some chars this isnt true)
mobility is gone(WD,DD,L-cancel)
auto ledge UP+B(this make edge guarding almost impossible)
CC is gone(this is EXTREMLY horrible)
Super armor on alot of characters(9 i believe)
nerfs for nearly ALL the ssbm cast
Horrible online lag(perfect connection or not. its expected cause fighters cant be good online)

there is a ton more but this is all i remember now. Also, i fixed alot of the stages on the front of the page. Banned some, and changed others. Its all brawl now.no melee.

Xyro77

You majority of people allowed green green(wind,apples,bombs) or dreamland(wind) or fountain of dreams(moving platforms that mess up combos). Kanto has wall that last a few seconds......if u guys allowed the stages i just mentioned in melee when they were clearly unfair.....im allowing kanto in brawl.

halbert might be moved to counter pick if it isnt already.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
again,RT u dont get why we dislike this game.

its slower
mobility is gone(WD,DD,L-cancel)
I will agree with you hear. After trying Melee again for a couple times, I do miss the fast pace as well. But, if this one of the main reasons why you hate Brawl, then so be it. Learn to foxtrot or bait your opponent more. Also, DD is still in, the timing just isn't as forgiving. And I'll go ahead agree with the whole tripping is ******** before anyone mentions it. ;)
over all, combos are harder to do(some chars this isnt true)
I'll concede here as well, but once again we don't know enough about the unique properties of everyone's attacks. Some characters aren't going to be able to combo because their move properties won't allow it (Ganon is the big example). Also, since DI makes a bigger difference in Brawl than it did in Melee, I don't expect there to be as many guaranteed combos anyways.
auto ledge UP+B(this make edge guarding almost impossible)
Ganon (for the most part) and Ike don't apply. Also, you can still miss the sweetspot and get punished. In other words, be more aggressive and CHASE your opponent. Sitting there on the ledge and simply rolling back up won't cut it anymore.
CC is gone(this is EXTREMLY horrible)
I agree again, but learn to deal with it. DI better when you get hit or stop standing around and try to CC everything. Breaking the habit of trying to CC is hard, but it's not impossible
Super armor on alot of characters(9 i believe)
Hardly a valid complaint IMO. I've only seen it used correctly only in certain situations. I fsmashed someone with Squirtle and used Fly with Charizard while the attacked me. Super armor frames prevented me from flinching, but I still took damage and could still be easily punished afterwards. Super armor frames are only a small addon and aren't gamebreaking in any form or way. Look over the list that's being made and take notes. Also, by this logic, throws are now broken since ALL throws have some SA. Should we stop using throws?
nerfs for nearly ALL the ssbm cast
If by nerfs you mean attempts at balancing, then yes, you are correct (Marth being the exception). I hate to use the cliched "This isn't Melee 2.0" reason, but...this isn't Melee 2.0. Changes were to be expected. Remember Kirby's transformation from 64 to Melee? Did anyone really expect that they would keep Sheik, Fox, and Falco the same? That they would leave the low tier characters unchanged? Heck, just for fun, I'll go ahead and give general impressions on the Melee crew:

Mario-a little better
Luigi-better
Peach-a little bit worse but not by much
Bowser-better
Link-maybe a little worse
Zelda-better
Sheik-a little worse
Ganondorf-worse
Samus-worse
Yoshi-better
Fox-still good but lost a lot of techs
Falco-still good
Falcon-worse
G&W-much better
Pikachu-better
Kirby-better
DK-about the same
IC-still good, if not a little better
Jigglypuff-worse
Marth-much better
Ness-better

More characters that are viable in tourneys? NO WAY.
Horrible online lag(perfect connection or not. its expected cause fighters cant be good online)
No arguement here. Nintendo's online can't match up to Microsoft's...

Xyro77

so since you agree with 90% of what i say........we have nothing to argue about. melee is better.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
tgm add my friend code, also
is the tournament saturday AND sunday? or just saturday, the front page says saturday but under entry fee it says both days :/.
also how will brackets work with 45 people? will there be pools?

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
is the tournament saturday AND sunday? or just saturday, the front page says saturday but under entry fee it says both days :/.
also how will brackets work with 45 people? will there be pools?
I'm assuming the tourney both starts and ends on saturday, and the STD ends sunday morning? :confused:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I agree, but only because they are HALF truths. Still not enough of a reason to absolutely HATE Brawl without at least giving it a CHANCE (and I mean more than just two weeks; Melee took what, a year or so before it became really competitive?). Whatever, it's not worth arguing over. It's hard to win people's opnions. :)

There's no need to reserve slots, just arrive early enough. Google the directions, look at the estimated time, and leave about hour before that time. Go to sleep early...or just don't sleep at all. ;)

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
I agree, but only because they are HALF truths. Still not enough of a reason to absolutely HATE Brawl without at least giving it a CHANCE (and I mean more than just two weeks; Melee took what, a year or so before it became really competitive?). Whatever, it's not worth arguing over. It's hard to win people's opnions. :)
I totally agree, we just don't know the game well enough. Heck, I thought melee was kinda lame until I learned about all of the advanced techniques and mindgames. Granted, there are less techniques...but hey, where do techniques get a bad chess player?

Brawl isn't worse than melee in my opinion, it's just different. In my opinion, all the nerfed moves were for the better, cuz they made the characters' other moves more balanced as well. I'm sure brawl will become much more complicated and competitive and in a shorter amount of time than it took melee. Just give it time.

There's no need to reserve slots, just arrive early enough. Google the directions, look at the estimated time, and leave about hour before that time. Go to sleep early...or just don't sleep at all. ;)
Aright, can do...er, try, at least! Ty!

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord

There's no need to reserve slots, just arrive early enough. Google the directions, look at the estimated time, and leave about hour before that time. Go to sleep early...or just don't sleep at all.
ettehttp://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=97161214
co co comboBREAKER!!!!!! lolz
i find brawl all around a better game probally because i have been winning alot lolz

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
Hey guys. I see TGM isn't accepting the continuation of melee. I can safely say after playing Tarzan in melee for about four hours, this game is too good to let go, atleast for me. So of you say I was good in Brawl, some say I wasn't, regardless the majority wanted me to continue to play brawl... I'm sorry but I strongly feel that the game isn't fun and will be being played the exact same way it is now, five years from now. So since it's not fun now, I doubt it will ever be fun atleast for me which is kind of weird, because I usually have fun in a game I'm winning, but for some reason no matter how many times I play this game I think it sucks. This is why I've already sold my Wii and Brawl together for a nice little piece of change. I really would like to continue to play melee with anyone and anyone is welcome to play me, because I strongly feel there will never be a game as good as melee. I had non-stop fun playing melee with Tarzan even though for the entire first half I got my butt handed to me cause I was playing melee like brawl. If they find an actual technique that could change this game like l-canceling or wavedashing, or mabey even figure out a way of combo-ing past 2-hits, I'll buy another Wii and return to Brawl, but be honest we all know thats not gonna happen.

With this said, anyone is welcome to play me in either Melee my cell is 713-505-8688(unless you got t-mobile either text or keep it short), or you can catch me on the Xbox 360, my gamertags are: Fiesta Feifer OR Friendly Feifer

Also, I got alittle over $3,000 in the bank, so I should be getting my car soon, only problem is I have no license. So I need to get one, I wasn't allowed to have one until I turned 20...and now I'm 20... good for me.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys. I see TGM isn't accepting the continuation of melee. I can safely say after playing Tarzan in melee for about four hours, this game is too good to let go, atleast for me. So of you say I was good in Brawl, some say I wasn't, regardless the majority wanted me to continue to play brawl... I'm sorry but I strongly feel that the game isn't fun and will be being played the exact same way it is now, five years from now. So since it's not fun now, I doubt it will ever be fun atleast for me which is kind of weird, because I usually have fun in a game I'm winning, but for some reason no matter how many times I play this game I think it sucks. This is why I've already sold my Wii and Brawl together for a nice little piece of change. I really would like to continue to play melee with anyone and anyone is welcome to play me, because I strongly feel there will never be a game as good as melee. I had non-stop fun playing melee with Tarzan even though for the entire first half I got my butt handed to me cause I was playing melee like brawl. If they find an actual technique that could change this game like l-canceling or wavedashing, or mabey even figure out a way of combo-ing past 2-hits, I'll buy another Wii and return to Brawl, but be honest we all know thats not gonna happen.

With this said, anyone is welcome to play me in either Melee my cell is 713-505-8688(unless you got t-mobile either text or keep it short), or you can catch me on the Xbox 360, my gamertags are: Fiesta Feifer OR Friendly Feifer

Also, I got alittle over $3,000 in the bank, so I should be getting my car soon, only problem is I have no license. So I need to get one, I wasn't allowed to have one until I turned 20...and now I'm 20... good for me.
i lol'd
jeremy im sure you are a nice person and all, and i do admit that melee is still a great game.
but
its funny how when you had the japanese version all you could talk about was how much fun you were having with it, and how many vids you were gonna put up. now that its out in America and a lot of hardcore melee players aren't that keen on it, you suddenly change your opinion and say it sucks, even going so far as to sell your wii.

i admit the game certainly isn't melee, but at the same time, who was honestly expecting it to be the best thing right out of the box? when melee came out people didn't instantly start looking for wave dashing, or wobbling, or l-canceling, it just happened, and it took TIME! :D

finally i think you need to grow up over the whole tgm wants brawl instead thing. hes not the dictator of houston, he's just a guy with the actual initiative and kindness to go out of his way to host tournaments and bring players together. he organizes all these things because he enjoys smash and wants us to be a part of the fun. if you really want the melee scene to stay strong in houston, start hosting tournaments yourself and such.

this isn't high school, stop complaining, and save the drama

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
claps...***
wow furbs your awesome pm me your phone # number so tommarow we can play each other on bralw online...

heytallman

CTALL
Furbs, I have a feeling this is only going to end in Jeremy getting banned again, and you going down with him.

J/K, but we need to play again sometime dude.

And Jeremy, I though you hated the XBox360?

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
360 sucks, just get a good computer like i did! :D
also tallman i added your friend code! hopefully you'll add mine,
also also tallman you going to the gs tournament on saturday again? i wanna play your lucas there!

heytallman

CTALL
Furbs, the 360 doesnt suck, it's better than PS3 in every way imaginable (except for metal gear solid 4), and no, I'm busy on Saturday. But go to to tourney on the fifth, and you can play my Lucas whenever. I'm pretty much busy every Saturday until the end of April, but two of those Saturdays will be for Smash (the tournament on the fifth and then Trashday). But yeah, I'll add you to my friends list on Brawl, Furbs

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
Happy Birthday, Jeremy?

Also, I'm down for melee whenever.

Or Halo 3, my XBL is: JAKETHIRTEEN TX
Thanks jake, Couple things:
You can come over whenever, pm me if ya want.
My Xbox Tag = Friendly Feifer or Fiesta Feifer... Whats your rank in Doubles and Teams?...or your Highest rank? Im guessing 36. Just a guess.

i lol'd
jeremy im sure you are a nice person and all, and i do admit that melee is still a great game.
but
its funny how when you had the japanese version all you could talk about was how much fun you were having with it, and how many vids you were gonna put up. now that its out in America and a lot of hardcore melee players aren't that keen on it, you suddenly change your opinion and say it sucks, even going so far as to sell your wii.

i admit the game certainly isn't melee, but at the same time, who was honestly expecting it to be the best thing right out of the box? when melee came out people didn't instantly start looking for wave dashing, or wobbling, or l-canceling, it just happened, and it took TIME! :D

finally i think you need to grow up over the whole tgm wants brawl instead thing. hes not the dictator of houston, he's just a guy with the actual initiative and kindness to go out of his way to host tournaments and bring players together. he organizes all these things because he enjoys smash and wants us to be a part of the fun. if you really want the melee scene to stay strong in houston, start hosting tournaments yourself and such.

this isn't high school, stop complaining, and save the drama
The only reason I said I was having fun with the game when I was playing it in Japanese was because everyone around me said they were having fun, and I guess I just wanted to believe I was having fun. Also I dont quite understand? What does pro's likening this game have to do anything with me? As I recall even when it was out in America, I was Kyuusoku and I was telling everyone to give it a chance. The truth is, the game sucks to me. Im not quitting cause the pros are. I mean, why would I? So far I'v beaten everyone I'v played pretty badly, even MLG pros, with the exception of a few. My point is, if the pros quit why not just stay in the game? Thats less competition for me right? I would instantly be good. Honestly I never said you guys had to quit, and alot of things you say are over exaggerated. I strongly believe if I did find a way to be the best in the U.S. you would still have something to say, mabey something like "the only reason your good is because all the pros quit". Im not sure why you all of a sudden targeted me with your post against my last post which was neutral by the way, but its clear your here to try to argue and I still have 5points so I will do no such thing until April 5th. Mabey your still holding some hostility over the Kyuusoku thing. In which all I can tell you is, get over it and Good Day.

Furbs, I have a feeling this is only going to end in Jeremy getting banned again, and you going down with him.

J/K, but we need to play again sometime dude.

And Jeremy, I though you hated the XBox360?
Every Xbox 360 owner hates the 360 and loves it. Overall its a good system with nice features... but it breaks every 3 months. Therefore 4 times a year, for about 14days each time, I hate the xbox 360, rest of the time I love it.

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
The funny thing is i have been trying to buy a wii i have called wallmart target GS fry circut city toys r us lol **** wii master plan 360 does have a numburus amount of things over wii but suse linux and a awesome hacked laptop that takes that cake

Gea

Smash Master
Basically Jeremy is full of johns and his 360 is on its period.

So far I'v beaten everyone I'v played pretty badly, even MLG pros, with the exception of a few.
Sorry but I had to quote this, it was so funny. I was going even with you on wifi like 2 days of owning the game. Besides that, its ****ING WIFI. Where are your results from playing people in person?

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
know back to the topic so are thread does not get closed for the millonth time lolz i can't go to the tourny because i don't need to i can just play online sorryz.

also gea your funny

Velox

Smash Ace
Me and Sethlon had a spectacular Halo session the other day. After which he was all, "This game sucks!"... ...

It was pretty fun to play something online though, instead of going through the motions...

Gea

Smash Master
Doc. >.>

But seriously I just went from Pika to Peach, as I see more potiental in her overall. Pika, as good as he is (and he's awesome now) is kind of like GW in Melee to me. Has alot of awesome attacks but ends up being very predictable in the long run.

So if you whoop up my peach you might see a really gay thunderjolt downsmashing pika.

I mess around with Mario and Luigi on the side though.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
The only reason I said I was having fun with the game when I was playing it in Japanese was because everyone around me said they were having fun, and I guess I just wanted to believe I was having fun. Also I dont quite understand? What does pro's likening this game have to do anything with me? As I recall even when it was out in America, I was Kyuusoku and I was telling everyone to give it a chance. The truth is, the game sucks to me. Im not quitting cause the pros are. I mean, why would I? So far I'v beaten everyone I'v played pretty badly, even MLG pros, with the exception of a few. My point is, if the pros quit why not just stay in the game? Thats less competition for me right? I would instantly be good. Honestly I never said you guys had to quit, and alot of things you say are over exaggerated. I strongly believe if I did find a way to be the best in the U.S. you would still have something to say, mabey something like "the only reason your good is because all the pros quit". Im
not sure why you all of a sudden targeted me with your post against my last post which was neutral by the way, but its clear your here to try to argue and I still have 5points so I will do no such thing until April 5th. Mabey your still holding some hostility over the Kyuusoku thing. In which all I can tell you is, get over it and Good Day.
lol neutral and whining are two different things,

also it seems you dont care about how good you are, it only seems that you're letting others opinions shape yours.

You think I'm butthurt over Kyuu Jeremy? No, I think its pathetic that you continue to beg us for attention despite two failed attempts at milking it out of us. Whoring yourself out with pictures of you and brawl then pretending to be a girl?

Wow.

If you're so awesome, why don't you go leave SWF forever and quit trying to get any last bit of attention you can. Or you know, play the game and quit whining.

wifi doesnt mean jack i've beaten roy and gea on occasion because of lag, but in person its a different story.

If you really are so great i want to see it! go to the tournament april 5th and prove it, you have nothing to lose right?

also on topic, i hope everyone who goes on april 5th the best of luck! and i hope i'll see you all there!

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
Doc. >.>

But seriously I just went from Pika to Peach, as I see more potiental in her overall. Pika, as good as he is (and he's awesome now) is kind of like GW in Melee to me. Has alot of awesome attacks but ends up being very predictable in the long run.

So if you whoop up my peach you might see a really gay thunderjolt downsmashing pika.

I mess around with Mario and Luigi on the side though.
yeah i was messing with pika lol and that about it....
wow where all still awake....

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
lol neutral and whining are two different things,

also it seems you dont care about how good you are, it only seems that you're letting others opinions shape yours.

You think I'm butthurt over Kyuu Jeremy? No, I think its pathetic that you continue to beg us for attention despite two failed attempts at milking it out of us. Whoring yourself out with pictures of you and brawl then pretending to be a girl?

Wow.

If you're so awesome, why don't you go leave SWF forever and quit trying to get any last bit of attention you can. Or you know, play the game and quit whining.

wifi doesnt mean jack i've beaten roy and gea on occasion because of lag, but in person its a different story.

If you really are so great i want to see it! go to the tournament april 5th and prove it, you have nothing to lose right?

also on topic, i hope everyone who goes on april 5th the best of luck! and i hope i'll see you all there!
#1, whos opinion is shaping mine? Call them out.
#2, Im on SWF, because I play melee, there are people here that dont play melee, who only play n64 smash.
#3, Please quote me whining
#4, Attention from who? Your mom is only off work from the club on weekends? Attention from who?
#5, See what? What exacally do you want to see me do on april 5th a that brawl tournement?
#6, Why dont we do two money matches, 1 brawl, 1 melee, 10$ each?
#7, Who are you again?

Also for the record, who do I want attention from? How many people in Houston really dont like me? Like 5? I'll even say 10. For the most part, the majority of houston DOES <---*key word* like me, and to the ones who don't, it doesn't matter because chances are, I never liked them and thats why we dont get along. So again, who am I trying to get attention from? Your Mom? Read #4 again, Do Not pass go, do not collect $200

Gea

Smash Master
Uhh Jeremy, as much as I don't give a ****, you are an attention *****. Its pretty obvious when you post pictures of yourself near Brawl then say you're too busy to play anyone.

As I recall you had a moneymatch with RocketTrainer you also never took up.

If you feel so confident in your abilities (which, by the way, trash talking is part of that) then come place april 5th. Shouldn't be hard, right? Otherwise just quiet down with the drama and lame insults. Yes, Furbs has a Mom in California (where you never moved to, lol), congrats for calling her a ***** of sorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom