• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
That's probably because MM is the best.
Better tone/setting, characters are more interesting, feels like it gives you a bit more freedom, the time and mask mechanics are pretty damned cool, etc etc.

1. Majora's Mask
2. Oracle series
3. Wind Waker
4. Link's Awakening
5. Minish Cap
I thought switching to gorons/zoras/weeds was dumb but not as dumb as being a wolf in TP.. fierce diety was sweet though.

Good Ol' Tree

Smash Ace
NNID
Garnitrex
Aight.

Skyward Sword
So there was a lot to not like about Skyward Sword's beginning, except the art style, which is pretty awesome and something not seen before. Just kind of progressing through the controls, and getting your sword, waiting for Zelda to get captured. Although, the same can be said for most books. It's incredibly hard for books to get an immediate interest in attention ASAP.
So the game started to kick it up a notch at Skyview Temple, and from then on, the whole gameplay experience with spelunking, and interacting with puzzles and monsters was really enjoyable.
The story is probably the most interesting yet. Zelda gets captured, but you're actually never very far away from her the whole time (As Fi LOVES to point out) which is Nintendo's brilliant tension system in this game. The controls are great, and utilize the WiiMote well. I am little annoyed by it because I can't play the game unless I'm sitting up or something, but that's not a huge problem.

A Link to the Past
So this one did everything to 2D Zeldas had done, plus like 654643413 more. The colors and graphics are supreme for Super Nintendo, and reveal detail that not even Super Metroid had. Story has been talked about a lot, so I'll only draw that the Light/Dark parallel is amazing at worst. Items are cool, there are like 10 dungeons, and the bosses are hard o.O

Ocarina of Time
So this is really tied with LA, but whatever. I actually didn't like OoT THAT much until I started speedrunning it. The controls are pretty awkward, directions aren't rounded like a control stick should be (although it's better that way for speedruns), and slow when paired with the games 20 FPS. This is the first Zelda I played, and the thing I remember best from when I was like 6 was the music. The child dungeons don't really have music, but the adult temples have some rather incredible pieces. Each time I hear the Fire Temple's track (without chanting) I remember that when I was a kid it really made me feel like the fate of a world was on my shoulders. It's also the most broken game of all time.

Link's Awakening
LA was really interesting for me. I was about 10 when I played it, and it was pretty cryptic. Like how the hell was I supposed to know to sprinkle magic dust on that raccoon *** hole? I didn't even figure it out, it was my little sister. That's probably the best part for me. Me and my sister Lilly (some of you might remember her lol) played this game at about the same time, and were pretty competitive about who was farther, which was usually her. Also, the dungeons required a lot of mental skills, like spatial memory in LV 7, that I totally didn't have when I was a kid.

Majoras Mask
Game's really good haha. The highlight of this one are the dungeons. They are probably the largest, and most complex ones. First cycle always cheeses me off because it sucks lol. Although, it's like ALSM said, this one had so many side quests it was amazing. I always wondered how the strategy guide had like 8 hearts at Lens of Truth. Cool thing about all the side quests and complex dungeons is it makes the game more like an RPG in that you have to interact with practically everyone and everything you can. Stone Tower can go eff itself for being so amazing, and having 2 sides <3. Controls are still stupid like in OoT, though.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Just played some of the RE6 demo.

It is pretty meh-ish. Only played a few minutes (maybe 10) of Leon's campaign.

Controls are...all over the damn place. It shows you the controls on the loading screen, but it's only there for a few seconds. I didn't even have time to read the controls to run or melee. Even then, you can't pull up the controls screen during the gameplay. DUMB.

You can't shoot zombies playing dead, even if you know they are playing dead. You have to trigger them and THEN you can shoot them...DUMB.

You can pause the game, but the inventory screen is real time.

AI partner is pretty decent. Not sure how it tracks your partner's health and ammo...maybe infinite?

You can stomp zombies while they are crawling around.

Zombies fall apart when you kill them. Like, their head starts falling off before they dissolve.

Overall, I give it 5/10. Probably won't try the other two campaigns, since they seem to be more action-ish, aka RE5.

BioDG

Smash Ace
@bio. i dont want this to sound racist/stereotype-ish but for some reason, most black kids in my youth always went for sega over nintendo. i never knew why but it just the way it was. off topic but kinda not, they also drank pepsi instead of coke. can u explain either one of these phenomenons?
It was just the themes. Sega's popular stuff appealed to people who liked edgy, cool, stuff with attitude. Streets of Rage, (old school) Sonic, Vectorman, Toe Jam & Earl, etc. Black culture is well known for wanting to be associated with being cool or having attitude.

Patience or open-mindedness to play other types of quality games, like many of Nintendo's old school games, was probably not as much of an interest to many of them.

I don't drink soda so can't help you about the soda thing lol. Probably marketing. I remember Pepsi having more entertaining commercials whereas Coke was either 50s vintage or happy-go-lucky or both.

:phone:

Xyro77

Just played some of the RE6 demo.
yesssssssssss

It is pretty meh-ish. Only played a few minutes (maybe 10) of Leon's campaign.
thats it? u gotta play more

Controls are...all over the damn place. It shows you the controls on the loading screen, but it's only there for a few seconds. I didn't even have time to read the controls to run or melee. DUMB.
use faqs or go to the options menu(or do they not include one)

You can't shoot zombies playing dead, even if you know they are playing dead. You have to trigger them and THEN you can shoot them...DUMB.
im pretty sure that's in a lot of RE games but yea its dumb

You can pause the game, but the inventory screen is real time.
i like that. it adds to the fear imo
AI partner is pretty decent. Not sure how it tracks your partner's health and ammo...maybe infinite?
i thought i heard they use their own ammo and herbs. u can also heal them if u want.

Zombies fall apart when you kill them. Like, their head starts falling off before they dissolve.
kinda cool imo but its no big deal either way

Overall, I give it 5/10. Probably won't try the other two campaigns, since they seem to be more action-ish.
F. Dude please finish Leon's story. His is pretty much the reason why i wanna get/borrow this game.

Xyro77

it was just the themes. Sega's popular stuff appealed to people who liked edgy, cool, stuff with attitude. Streets of rage, (old school) sonic, vectorman, toe jam & earl, etc. Black culture is well known for wanting to be associated with being cool or having attitude.
f

patience or open-mindedness to play other types of quality games, like many of nintendo's old school games, was probably not as much of an interest to many of them.
f

i don't drink soda so can't help you about the soda thing lol. Probably marketing. I remember pepsi having more entertaining commercials whereas coke was either 50s vintage or happy-go-lucky or both.
f

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Oh, and I forgot to mention, you can press a button and it shows you where to go.

Xyro77

Oh, and I forgot to mention, you can press a button and it shows you where to go.
Well they did say they are aiming for that CoD fan base. gotta water down the game for them lolmao.

seriously though, RE games have been pretty straight forward since re4 so a help button is dumb imo

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
From what I'm reading, Leon's was the best.

Chris of Duty and Uncharted Jake are horrible.

This is just bad.

Xyro77

ZombiU hands-on: the Dark Souls of zombie games

‘ZombiU is the Dark Souls of zombie games’. You’re going to hear a lot of people say that after the Wii U launches in November. It’s absolutely true, as the game is brutally difficult, and makes no attempt to coddle players as they wade miserably through post apocalyptic London.

One of the magic ingredients that makes a good survival horror game even better is making the player feel dangerously under-resourced, pathetically weak, and continually on the backfoot at all times. If this stresses you out, then ZombiU is not the game for you.

It has been absolutely engineered with hardcore gamers in mind, mixing the continuous dread of games like Amnesia: The Dark Descent with unforgiving trial and error format of Dark Souls. You will die a lot, but with each death you will learn what not to do next time.

Best of all, when you die, it’s entirely your fault and – sorry to put this bluntly readers – down to your own foolish haste and stupidity. It’s not that you’ aren’t smart enough to overcome Ubisoft Montpellier’s sadistic challenge, it just takes a lot of practice.

That’s part of the problem. Wii U does have casual players who may take a punt on ZombiU – because, zombies – and that could lead to a lot of copies being traded in shortly after launch.

Our hands-on session starts with a dreary slog through London’s sewer network, and up into the Tower of London’s hidden catacombs. We’ve got a cricket bat – the game’s default, unbreakable melee weapon – and a shotgun with only 30 bullets.

There’s also a flashlight that runs down mercilessly fast, and it takes ages to recharge. Once it’s off, the sewers are seriously pitch black, which is why the Wii U GamePad’s radar screen is helpful for spotting movement in the dark.

Slow movement is the key, as your cricket bat will only down a zombie in about six heavy hits. That’s a lot of attacking needed for just one enemy, so you have to avoid confronting packs of the buggers if you hope to survive long.

You could of course hit them with your firearms – but wouldn’t you know it – gunfire attracts the horde to your location with every single shot, so that’s not a dependable tactic either.

Drawing out zombies one by one using flares does help thin out groups if you have to kill a few of them, or you could lay mines in a tight bottleneck, fire a few shots, and stand back as they rush towards the sound and blow up in meaty, bloody chunks.

There are many ways to play ZombiU, but several truths remain throughout: never ignore your radar and make sure you’re alone before using your inventory. Opening your backpack is activated by simply swiping down on the touch screen, but it renders you immobilised.

You can then drag your favourite items to the hot bar and organise loot gathered from corpses. You only have so many slots, so resource management is yet another problem facing your survivor.

This is where both the respawn and safehouse mechanics come into play. Safehouses do exactly what they suggest – they are respawn zones that play home to crafting benches and lockers that can be used to stash precious loot.

Lockers are crucial, because when you die and respawn as a different survivor, you lose everything – save for your cricket bat, flashlight and a pistol with just six rounds. Back at your point of death, your previous survivor reanimates as a zombie carrying all of your gear.

They aren’t painted on the map either, so say they’re holding that super-upgraded firearm that you spent ages crafting, chances are you will never find them again and the weapon is lost.

This poses a tough choice when faced with an area swarming with the undead. Do you avoid potentially dying and losing your favourite gun – by trudging all the way back to your last safehouse in order to stash it away – or do you rush in hoping that you’ll make it through alive?

You have to constantly make these difficult decisions every step of the way. You’ll ask yourself, ‘Do I walk blindly through the dark undetected, or use my flashlight to see threats even if it leaves me exposed?’

There are times when you may even think, ‘Do I take the long, dangerous, but silent melee route, or do I risk detection by shooting those zombies to create an easy path?’ Everything must be considered. Even travelling through water is a risk.

When wading through water, your survivor lifts their backpack overhead to keep it dry, leaving you utterly defenceless and unable to attack. Rushing through the ravaged streets of London is a recipe for disaster and should be avoided at all cost.

Every inch of the game smacks of Dark Souls, and this comparison is highlighted further by ZombiU’s messaging system, which lets you walk up to walls and leave graffiti tag messages for other players online.

These aren’t actual words, but symbols. So you could select the ‘stairs’ icon and a ‘thumbs down’ – to basically say ‘don’t go downstairs’. There are many symbol combinations geared towards highlighting hazards or killer loot, so it will be interesting to see how these are used – or abused – once servers go live.

Finally – and this is a stroke of genius on Ubisoft Montpellier’s part – once one of your survivors dies and then reanimates as a zombie, there’s a chance they will also spawn into your friends’ game too.

So you can hop on Miiverse and say, ‘hey I died at this location holding a brilliant weapon. Go find me to claim it’, and vice-versa. It’s a neat way of sharing weapons and collaborating with other players to beat the game.

It’s hard to step back from comparing ZombiU to Dark Souls, but the parallels are blatant. This isn’t a bad thing however, because survival horror games are supposed to make surviving a struggle, and this is one of those rare games that actually delivers that feeling.

If you’re still not convinced that ZombiU is a ‘hardcore’ game for ‘hardcore’ people, then you should at least check the game out through a friend’s purchase. To all Dark Souls fans, you absolutely need to play this game. It’s that simple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J2lVQozQtA&feature=player_embedded

heytallman

CTALL
I see I missed a Zelda discussion. Link's Awakening for best Zelda. Then LttP and then OoT

Majora's Mask for low tier Zelda, but Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, and from what I hear Spirit Tracks are way worse.

DEAL WITH IT.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
Skyward sword wasn't the best Zelda, but it was good, just had a lot of dumb **** like the flying and COLLECTING ****ING TADPOLES WHILE TRYING TO SAVE THE WORLD! Combat was godlike tho.

my top 5 would probably beeee

Ocarina of Time
Link to the Past
Wind Waker
Majora's Mask
Skyward Sword

Honorable Mentions: Twilight Princess & Minish Cap.

Minish Cap for best handheld zelda (not including remakes).

Xyro77

Iirc dead space is supposed to be really really scary even though there is lots of action. Have not played it but that's what I heard.

And If the full game of RE6 stays like RT says, I've lost faith in the final IP capcom has. So sad capcom caves in to what main stream gaming demands.

Xyro77

Now we know razer was on a gay chat. Nothing wrong with that but at least we know he's into the male gender.

Xyro77

ZombiU sounds like what RE6 should've been.
First of all, Capcom

Second of all, Capcom

Third, CAPCOM.

This is why it's not.

On a related note, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYsicadz7M
I wish this was on Wii U tho

But if it had wifi, I'll probably get a 3DS lol

Movement looks amazing, so many new weapons since Tri, armor and monsters look cool. Some are rehashes but it's whatever.

MH4 will have wifi. just not 3 on the 3ds. 3 on the wiiu will have wifi though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom