• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
True, but K-mart has been injury prone just like t-mac, just not as much. Im hoping they can get back into a playoff spot. Next year im hoping T-mac does good with the knicks, thats the only reason i like them now. Me to T-mac is like Espy to sonic. No homo
It's true that he's injury prone, but he's also younger than TMac. TMac's constant knee injuries have just about ruined his career at this point--he definitely doesn't have much longer. KMart still has more time.

Suspect

Smash Hero
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about Greyfoxes and Zigstas anger level?!

Vegeta: ITS OVER 9000!

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
*wishes amare went to Cavs* then cleveland would overcentralize the metagame
Amare would've definitely been the type of player who could run with LeBron, but on the flip side, he's one of the worst defenders at the 4/5 in the league. The Cavs picked up Shaq to counter Dwight Howard, and Amare can't contain him. Jamison will do a much better job at that and will spread the floor more.

But Amare being traded would have made for some very interesting games, that's for sure.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
A certain player or 2 have come up to me and asked me about an issue that i have NEVER viewed as a problem......EVER. This issue is "coaching." They want is banned. They think coaching can literally change a match and cause player A to lose to player B once the advice/coaching is given. I agree with it AND disagree with it. PLEASE give you opinions on the following choices.

Example 1: "Dude listen, razer dug a mine on the right-hand platform. Your at 110% so watch out for that." The stage is BRINSTAR which means that mine was almost impossible to see UNLESS you remembered where it was when it was dropped.

Is this type of coaching/advice legal?

Example 2: "Royr is HORRIBLE on japes. Not to mention marth in general isnt to good on that stage. I recomend you counter pick that stage!"

Example 3: "Be patient, you were doing better when you were patient" or "Dude, go mega agrro, samus cant do **** when you are in her face"

XYRO thinks that ex1 is unfair while ex 2 and 3 are totally fair. What do you guys think about these 3? I really need to know so i can make a call on it and notify the players who complained to me about coaching.

DallasPhat

Smash Master
Planking Gnes While He Watches Invincible Youth
Example 1: "Dude listen, razer dug a mine on the right-hand platform. Your at 110% so watch out for that." The stage is BRINSTAR which means that mine was almost impossible to see UNLESS you remembered where it was when it was dropped.

Example 2: "Royr is HORRIBLE on japes. Not to mention marth in general isnt to good on that stage. I recomend you counter pick that stage!"

Example 3: "Be patient, you were doing better when you were patient" or "Dude, go mega agrro, samus cant do **** when you are in her face"

Me and Dmg both discussed that EX 1 is unfair as it effects the match in hand. While both EX 2 and 3 are observations seen post game so we see nothing unfair about that.

Dojo

Smash Champion
I pretty much agree with you. In game coaching is alot worse than inbetween. Even between matches I believe it's ok to gve words of advice. When you're in the midst of playing though it's having that 2nd head that should be banned.

Ex 3 I agree is also acceptable. That happens regardless since people shout outbstuff like that anyways. It's when somebody is giving constant reminders and helping examine patterns and stuff like that.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
EX 1 is very unfair and should be banned. EX 2 seems more of the players responsibility to know where to take their opponent, but it's nice coaching to have. I will say when people ask their friends what to ban against me or their friends tell them right away what to ban, I get upset about that because the player should know. So I guess 2 should be banned as well, but it's not THAT big of an issue. But EX 3 should be perfectly legal.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
I think there's a limit. At phase 4 I had to wait several minutes for game two in a match while my opponent got up, left, brought back ICE and got advice on what to do against ROB in the Snake/ROB matchup. If there's going to be any advice, it needs to be quick and concise, not a lengthy strategy guide meant to tip the odd in one player's favor.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
None of this Dphat strat as well where you actually time someone out IRL like he did to Flip (which is kinda like what Inferno said)

lulz

Xyro77

I think there's a limit. At phase 4 I had to wait several minutes for game two in a match while my opponent got up, left, brought back ICE and got advice on what to do against ROB in the Snake/ROB matchup. If there's going to be any advice, it needs to be quick and concise, not a lengthy strategy guide meant to tip the odd in one player's favor.
I agree.

EX 2 seems more of the players responsibility to know where to take their opponent, but it's nice coaching to have. I will say when people ask their friends what to ban against me or their friends tell them right away what to ban, I get upset about that because the player should know.
This happens in teams ALL the time. One player KNOWS what to CP while the other is like "uhhh ok w/e i trust you"

So if its banned in 1vs1 then it needs to be banned in teams....see my point?

SO far everybody agree that ex1 should go but 2 and 3 are legal

heytallman

CTALL
Stalling for coaching is bad. I saw once someone waiting for like, 2 minutes waiting for KOS-MOS to come over so that the guy could ask where to CP a Peach. Also a long time ago I saw someone (I won't say who) walk by, and walk up to the table I was sitting at with some other people, and this unnamed player was like "lol I'm in the middle of a match, stalling so that his momentum wears off" things like that should be banned as well.

Other than that I don't really see a problem. I end with a quote from everyone's favorite banana-thrower "Be patient, Dojo!"

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
In game coaching should NOT be allowed. Pre- or post-game coaching is fine, because literally ANYTHING can happen during a match (lol, tripping). Also, people should NOT be allowed to call people over during a match. In a past tourney match, one of my opponents called his friends over DURING a match for help on a stage. <_<

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Personal opinion: If you leave the TV in between games, you should be DQed, since it's clear you're either trying to annoy your opponent for an advantage or just trying to get extra advice to get an edge.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I think that in game coaching could go either way. Telling someone where a c4 is could be pretty bad, but I don't know if it would change the game THAT much. Unless it's like example 1, but that would only happen vs snake, can't really see it happening against another character.

To be fair though, telling someone exactly what to do should be banned, but tips in between games and giving motivation during the game should be fine

Xyro77

In game coaching should NOT be allowed. Pre- or post-game coaching is fine, because literally ANYTHING can happen during a match (lol, tripping). Also, people should NOT be allowed to call people over during a match. In a past tourney match, one of my opponents called his friends over DURING a match for help on a stage. <_<
so which of the 3 examples do disagree with.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
With Martin and Scola, the trade is for the better.

Scola averages 16-10 iirc, while Martin would be doing 15-9. gg other teams.

The trade WAS worth it.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Me and Dmg both discussed that EX 1 is unfair as it effects the match in hand. While both EX 2 and 3 are observations seen post game so we see nothing unfair about that.
This. Example 1 is completely lame.

Ex2 is in between matches, so I see nothing wrong with it so long as it happens within a small frame of time. If someone's literally stalling out by talking to someone else about strategy, then that's kinda lame as well.

Ex3 I don't have a problem with. People yell that type of stuff aloud all the time.

In fact, if any of the three examples are shouted out like how people shout out Ex3, I'd be fine with that.

It's when a coach actually goes in and pretty much TELLS you how to play is when I kinda get irked.

But overall, Ex1 = Not cool
Ex2/3 = Cool, so long as they don't waste obscene amounts of time during the CP process.

Xyro77

I think that in game coaching could go either way. Telling someone where a c4 is could be pretty bad, but I don't know if it would change the game THAT much. Unless it's like example 1, but that would only happen vs snake, can't really see it happening against another character.

To be fair though, telling someone exactly what to do should be banned, but tips in between games and giving motivation during the game should be fine
ex1 is an example of coaching/advice that can literally CHANGE the game/stock/match/set.

Another example of ex1 "roy! that samus is at 200%, your up-throw can kill him now!"

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Example 1 is unfair. The other two don't matter as much, but if the person in example 2 is talking to all his friends and takes more than 5 minutes just to pick a stage, then no that shouldn't be allowed. It's a tourney set, not a battle over your soul.

Also, example 1 requires some common sense. If someone randomly yells out, "**** HIM!" or "Hit him with fsmash!", it doesn't break the rule unless a specific person is being addressed.

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
A certain player or 2 have come up to me and asked me about an issue that i have NEVER viewed as a problem......EVER. This issue is "coaching." They want is banned. They think coaching can literally change a match and cause player A to lose to player B once the advice/coaching is given. I agree with it AND disagree with it. PLEASE give you opinions on the following choices.

XYRO thinks that ex1 is unfair while ex 2 and 3 are totally fair. What do you guys think about these 3? I really need to know so i can make a call on it and notify the players who complained to me about coaching.
Coaching should be banned. Reason why is cause the player that is playing in the match dont see his flaws and what he is doing. A coach tells you whats wrong so you can correct it. For example: My friend just recently ranback that huge 26,000$ money match in mvc2 for 47,000$ and LOST! Reason why was due to alot of issues. Didnt prepare right for the match, didnt take his opponent seriously, and most important COACHING. He had to beat 2 cali players at once which was unfair. On march 6 we have a 2000$ money match and both players agreed already that coaching is banned. They will be on the stage all alone. Just the 2 of them how it should be. Just my thoughts =/

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Example 1 is unfair. The other two don't matter as much, but if the person in example 2 is talking to all his friends and takes more than 5 minutes just to pick a stage, then no that shouldn't be allowed. It's a tourney set, not a battle over your soul.

Also, example 1 requires some common sense. If someone randomly yells out, "**** HIM!" or "Hit him with fsmash!", it doesn't break the rule unless a specific person is being addressed.
You honestly wouldn't be able to tell whether or not they were addressing them in Ex1. I'm not gonna get into it, but you really don't need to address someone if you're watching their match and just yell "**** HIM". Everyone around you will know who you're talking to.

Still, it'd be silly if things like that got striked.

=====

Oh, and I think taking more than 5 minutes goes beyond that, RT.

Tournaments can't last forever. The venues DO have to close.
At the same time that you're obligated to choose wisely for a CP (in which case it's okay to get some quick advice), you're also obligated to be considerate of the venue's closing time.

...unless I'm being stupid again. >_>

Xyro77

Coaching should be banned. Reason why is cause the player that is playing in the match dont see his flaws and what he is doing. A coach tells you whats wrong so you can correct it. For example: My friend just recently ranback that huge 26,000$ money match in mvc2 for 47,000$ and LOST! Reason why was due to alot of issues. Didnt prepare right for the match, didnt take his opponent seriously, and most important COACHING. He had to beat 2 cali players at once which was unfair. On march 6 we have a 2000$ money match and both players agreed already that coaching is banned. They will be on the stage all alone. Just the 2 of them how it should be. Just my thoughts =/
thats the ONE and ONLY issue right there. i bolded it for you. coaching cannot hurt someone who isnt already READY for a MM that determines wether he is bankrupt or not.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Well, I mean, some people do like to think about their stage picks and that's fine. But I've seen instances where people take like 5-10 minutes to pick a stage, and it's only the first CP of a set. For REALZ? Just pick the stage and play. If you lose, GG, should have won the first match. No johns.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I know what you mean. One time someone took three minutes CPing and I almost lost my mind.
That's like, ten years in Sonic time.

I'm just sayin' to keep the time allotted to CPing low, because above just being a nuisance to the player who has to sit back and wait, it slows down the tournament as a whole, and endangers it not finishing at all due to venue closing times.

Xyro77

Im not gonna add timers to how long you can CP. Its obvious, if the person sits there for 5 min talking to some one about a CP then yea. call him out on it and get me. ill deal with him. But of hes sitting there by himself for 5 min thinking....its fair

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
thats the ONE and ONLY issue right there. i bolded it for you. coaching cannot hurt someone who isnt already READY for a MM that determines wether he is bankrupt or not.
WHAT! Thats bananas. I shouldnt have to play 2 people instead of 1 is all im saying. I think its a COWARD move if you need help to fight your own fight...

Xyro77

WHAT! Thats bananas. I shouldnt have to play 2 people instead of 1 is all im saying. I think its a COWARD move if you need help to fight your own fight...
You already said he wasnt READY....that means BEFORE coaching started, he wasnt ready to fight this guy. SO wether he got coaching or not, he wasnt prepared. THEN you said he didnt take him seriously. Im sorry but that guy is a ****ing moron. Why would you put up 13k or 26 k or whatever on the line if you were not ready or not taking the foe serious. He lost cause he lost. Coaching did not determine the winner. Come on DA. lol

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
You already said he wasnt READY....that means BEFORE coaching started, he wasnt ready to fight this guy. SO wether he got coaching or not, he wasnt prepared. THEN you said he didnt take him seriously. Im sorry but that guy is a ****ing moron. Why would you put up 13k or 26 k or whatever on the line if you were not ready or not taking the foe serious. He lost cause he lost. Coaching did not determine the winner. Come on DA. lol
I will talk about this with you after I go BODIE some mvc2 players at th gally...:chuckle:

Xyro77

Could you guys give me more examples of example one before I make a decision on that?
dont worry about it. 99% of us agree that ex1 or others liked ex1 should be banned. i word up a rule some time soon. its not a big deal so i wont rush

Player-4

See you in 25 years
This happens in teams ALL the time. One player KNOWS what to CP while the other is like "uhhh ok w/e i trust you"

So if its banned in 1vs1 then it needs to be banned in teams....see my point?

SO far everybody agree that ex1 should go but 2 and 3 are legal
But teams is different, they're "On your team" so in essence they're can coach you during matches and it should be perfectly legal. I try to talk to my teammate during a match and stuff when playing teams, and in teams 2 people are deciding as a TEAM on what stages to pick, so it's not the same.

Your friend isn't on your team in your 1v1 match so he/she shouldn't be allowed to help you pick stages and coach you.

I really don't mind the whole stage picking help from friends that much but it's annoying sometimes. You could do this, let it slide if the friend is there watching the match, but they shouldn't be able to call someone over or get up and get someone to get advice.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
But teams is different, they're "On your team" so in essence they're can coach you during matches and it should be perfectly legal. I try to talk to my teammate during a match and stuff when playing teams, and in teams 2 people are deciding as a TEAM on what stages to pick, so it's not the same.

Your friend isn't on your team in your 1v1 match so he/she shouldn't be allowed to help you pick stages and coach you.
What if a third person is helping you in teams?

Teams are just as susceptible to this as singles.

heytallman

CTALL
DeAngelo, speaking of being prepared, Heart Gold and Soul Silver are coming out soon, GET READY for our money match. I'll give you all the time you need to make your team. We'll discuss rules later.

Also we have to run that five dollar brawl match too, which you are so confident that you'll win.

edit: coaching at its finest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8TKSatB30E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom