• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I dunno. Black Lagoon's dub was actually pretty **** amazing.
And the lifelessness in his voice was pretty significant to the scene I took from youtube, so it's actually pretty effective for him to talk like that in that regard.
I don't know man... Revy kind of sounded like an old lady.

I'm also negatively biased towards them because every time I've tried to watch a dub, it's been terrible (especially Gurren Lagann).

@Chris - I used to watch that, but old stuff is old, and thus not fun to watch anymore.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I don't know man... Revy kind of sounded like an old lady.

I'm also negatively biased towards them because every time I've tried to watch a dub, it's been terrible (especially Gurren Lagann).

@Chris - I used to watch that, but old stuff is old, and thus not fun to watch anymore.
That's news to me. Sounded just fine in my book through my six cycles through the series.

I'm more or less in the middle.

I'll watch a sub if the English is simply horrendous (One Piece), but I'll watch the dub otherwise (pretty much anything else).

Besides, always preferring subs is boring, and all of the Japanese voices start sounding the same. It also never hurts to check it out.

There are two things of course that make me so biased when it comes to Black Lagoon:

1) I own the box set, and watch episodes on occasion, and constantly.
2) That guy's VA is the same VA for Light in Deathnote, and ever since the Potato Chip scene in said anime, I've never had ill-will towards him.

@tallymcsmally: Get out w/ that 1930s garbage. It's all about the 1800s.

PS: Phantom, I forgot. She sounds older in the japanese anyways.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
The Potato-Chip scene is legendary.

But it's common knowledge that they reuse VA for both dubs and subs, so obv they sound the same. Doesn't change the fact that the *** VA are much better at showing ranges of emotion and voice-styles... plus the inevitable, drawn-out yelling sounds much less awkward in a language we aren't fluent in, haha.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
But it's common knowledge that they reuse VA for both dubs and subs, so obv they sound the same. Doesn't change the fact that the *** VA are much better at showing ranges of emotion and voice-styles... plus the inevitable, drawn-out yelling sounds much less awkward in a language we aren't fluent in, haha.
I disagree. I disagree so, so hard (only in regards to some anime:p).

Either way, I think it's just because we understand English and became accustomed to hearing it that we're so open to simply listen to it in another language.

I'm pretty sure foreigners get sick of watching their shows in their own languages too. Not all of them, but a good chunk, at least.

It's probably just the fascination.

PS: Revy voice in general just sucked in the original.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Oh, it's not about watching things in my own language, it's just that the people they hire for regular VA on anime and even many of the lower budget cartoons aren't very good, generally.

I love the VA in Disney movies and CGI movies, for example, and actually think most of the attempts at translation sounds pretty bad. Plus there's the added fact that the media is created to be spoken in a certain language originally, so lip-synching and such also don't match as well in other languages. Also this only concerns animated stuff. The Japanese tendency to overact makes their live action stuff ridiculous, and watching English shows in a different language also is ridiculous.

I saw that show too long ago to remember Revy's voice in Japanese, I'm just speaking from a general perspective.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Oh, it's not about watching things in my own language, it's just that the people they hire for regular VA on anime and even many of the lower budget cartoons aren't very good, generally.

I love the VA in Disney movies and CGI movies, for example, and actually think most of the attempts at translation sounds pretty bad. Plus there's the added fact that the media is created to be spoken in a certain language originally, so lip-synching and such also don't match as well in other languages. Also this only concerns animated stuff. The Japanese tendency to overact makes their live action stuff ridiculous, and watching English shows in a different language also is ridiculous.

I saw that show too long ago to remember Revy's voice in Japanese, I'm just speaking from a general perspective.
K.

I remember seeing a Danish cartoon film that was translated into English about a year ago (the movie was the one with the fox in my avy).
The lip syncing is probably one of the reasons the film got KILLED in translation process. The original flowed much better in that regard.

And CGI? Phantom, that's cheating. That's cheating hard.

CY

Smash Ace
get that anime **** out of here, it's all about that DEXTER, WEEDS, AND THE OFFICE SON!

and if we goin' cartoons YA DEEG, you gotta go with rugrats, rocko's modern life, Hey Arnold, Doug, Two Stupid Dogs, etc. and throw in the old Nickelodeon gameshows like Legends of the Hidden Temple. ****ing tasty

edit: can't forget the classics like keenan and kel, all that, are you afraid of the dark(scared the **** out of me) and many more.

smoom, ozz, razer, you guys ****ed up and were born too late.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
DEXTER sucks... not as bad as Heroes, but it hasn't been good since at least he second season... though at least FINALLY he's experiencing some repercussions for his actions. Took four seasons til he ran out of Deus Ex.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
get that anime **** out of here, it's all about that DEXTER, WEEDS, AND THE OFFICE SON!

and if we goin' cartoons YA DEEG, you gotta go with rugrats, rocko's modern life, Hey Arnold, Doug, Two Stupid Dogs, etc. and throw in the old Nickelodeon gameshows like Legends of the Hidden Temple. ****ing tasty

edit: can't forget the classics like keenan and kel, all that, are you afraid of the dark(scared the **** out of me) and many more.

At least you like The Office. Also, the only anime I like is Inuyasha and Cowboy Bebop. I don't care for anything past that.

For old cartoons, Cartoon Network >>>>>>> Nickelodeon.

Edit:

SHAPOOPI! TAKE THAT TO THE BANK!

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
This is horrible...

Gnes

Smash Master
At least you like The Office. Also, the only anime I like is Inuyasha and Cowboy Bebop. I don't care for anything past that.

For old cartoons, Cartoon Network >>>>>>> Nickelodeon.

Edit:

SHAPOOPI! TAKE THAT TO THE BANK!
U know inuyasha is a shoujo manga/anime right....

But then again tekkaman did say u reminded him of a lady friend he knows...so continue.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
So...Gnes DID stop playing Diddy for awhile, eh?

Now Gnes is exponentially slower than he originally was.
Pity.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion

i used to watch every show you just mentioned. dont forget double dare and all that

GG

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I heard that Phantom X was hating on Lion King.
Heard it through the grape vine.
I think Razer said it.
Dang, that only means I'm gonna sing even more Lion King songs than usual for him.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Of those shows that CY said...

-dexter
-rugrats
-hey arnold
-doug
-all that (sorta)
-are you afraid of the dark

I miss Rugrats and Hey Arnold the most. We bought this DVD with like all the episodes of Are you afraid of the Dark on them. It's pretty awesome.

Btw, I'm getting TvC today :D

Suspect

Smash Hero
its all about that old school power rangers, beetleborgs, vr troopers, early 90s spiderman cartoon, legends of the hidden temple, old school ninja turtle cartoon, darkstalkers, DBZ, ronin warriors, basically everything from old toonami and i cant think of anymore right now, i gotta go to work

Player-4

See you in 25 years
U know inuyasha is a shoujo manga/anime right....

But then again tekkaman did say u reminded him of a lady friend he knows...so continue.
I hate you so much right now :(

Of those shows that CY said...

-dexter
-rugrats
-hey arnold
-doug
-all that (sorta)
-are you afraid of the dark

I miss Rugrats and Hey Arnold the most. We bought this DVD with like all the episodes of Are you afraid of the Dark on them. It's pretty awesome.

Btw, I'm getting TvC today :D
CY wasn't talking about Dexter's Laboratory. He was just talking about the show Dexter. Google it.

Gnes

Smash Master
So...Gnes DID stop playing Diddy for awhile, eh?

Now Gnes is exponentially slower than he originally was.
Pity.
I think I will make a dibble chart right quick using exponentials...

Gnes before school=e^100
Razer=e^2
Dojo=e^4
Espy=e^3
Gnes during school=e^90

So from these calculations you can see that while I have gotten slower by a good degree, It would take the combined speed of 30 espy's to compare to me.

Esca

Smash Champion
That's true. Cartoon Network was decent, however you can't beat Figure it Out, Double Dare 2000, Egg Girl, and can I get a little Catdog?

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Figure it out was great

The following movies from my childhood received acceptance awards from several legitimate real life gangstas residing in Compton, California.

Smart House
First Kid
Up Up and Away
Halloween Town
Homeward Bound
Blank Check
Honey i shrunk/blew up the kids
Jungle 2 Jungle
Phantom of the Megaplex
The Paper Brigade
Johnny Tsunami (god tier)

Status