• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
@ Krebs, excited for your tournament series coming up and glad to see you're making moves. As for the stage list, I would recommend listening and taking some of the suggestions the community has to give. I agree a few of the stages shouldn't belong in the list imo, and I'm loving 8 mins instead of 7, but if you feel like it there nothing to change stick with it and see his it runs. There's always feedback at the end of tournaments.

@ Xyro77 I'm feeling the beard. No more baby face nerd overlord.

Missed TGC but hopefully will be at the next. Looked mad fun.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It says program is Windows only. Fair warning to whoever owned the Mac.

I honestly liked TIO since it had integrated TVs setups in the program. I think two setups should be done: TIO should be used specifically to run the tourney and report results and Challonge for real time updates and people can see the bracket. It's more upkeep, but probably less of a headache unless there is a good system with the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
It says program is Windows only. Fair warning to whoever owned the Mac.

I honestly liked TIO since it had integrated TVs setups in the program. I think two setups should be done: TIO should be used specifically to run the tourney and report results and Challonge for real time updates and people can see the bracket. It's more upkeep, but probably less of a headache unless there is a good system with the best of both worlds.

See this is why I feel that 99% of my smash 4 events take so long.

Tio is the best program ever made but it can't do live updates AND it can't be migrated to challonge for our power ranking. If it could, I'd run both as you suggested. TLOC has a tournament assistant for challonge but it isn't good at all.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
I'm assuming most users already use Windows OS. Still TIO is best if no internet is available. That app looks good since it does show who plays what and what TV unless TIO shows that as well.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to just have people find a setup on their own. There were so many available and far too much time was wasted trying to figure out which setups are free. Just call them up to the front and tell them to go play.

You waited too long to start singles imo. You could have had almost all of first round done in the 2 hours top 3 doubles took. Once you got down to top 64 you were cruising so just make sure you tighten up that transition from dubs to singles.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
The only problem with finding your own setup is that inevitably everyone will want to go on livestream setup. Not every match can be livestreamed, even if they are hype. You need to balance the two or risk staying until 1AM.

Xyro, do consider what I said. I honestly think it will make the tourney more manageable if the next tourney gets to the same giant size. Two stations: one for reporting results and one just for live bracket/questions with an extra monitor. A person just needs to report the results to two people instead of one. This will save headaches and stress and prevent DQs (TIO keeps track how long a match has been waiting/ongoing) until Challonge or whoever has a better method of handling TVs.

Also, having laminated printouts of ruleset at each station would be nice too (assuming you will not change them anytime soon). I think there was some confusion about stage bans.

Last edited:

gamma1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lokighsh
Yeah. I remember telling this guy that there was only 1 stage ban, but he insisted on two. My phone was dead at the time so i couldn't pull up the ruleset for him. I just let it slide but a printout would be wonderful.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
The only problem with finding your own setup is that inevitably everyone will want to go on livestream setup. Not every match can be livestreamed, even if they are hype. You need to balance the two or risk staying until 1AM.

Xyro, do consider what I said. I honestly think it will make the tourney more manageable if the next tourney gets to the same giant size. Two stations: one for reporting results and one just for live bracket/questions with an extra monitor. A person just needs to report the results to two people instead of one. This will save headaches and stress and prevent DQs (TIO keeps track how long a match has been waiting/ongoing) until Challonge or whoever has a better method of handling TVs.

Also, having laminated printouts of ruleset at each station would be nice too (assuming you will not change them anytime soon). I think there was some confusion about stage bans.
It could still work, if you reserve the livestream set-ups by invitation only (as in, you cannot choose to play on a livestream unless you've been told you can).

Separate stations would be good. It might be better to continually queue upcoming matches and call the next one in queue as soon as a match is reported.

I don't remember if this was explained at the tourney so if it was, my bad. About stage striking, just a quick reminder on how it works would have helped speed up some matches up with less experienced players.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I know some of the more experienced players were confused too. Regardless, having an official ruleset printed out nearby always helps out.

Invitation-only for livestream would work, but it will cause a lot of whining and animosity if someone is not allowed to play on it. Elitism does not need to be encouraged.

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I LOVE elitism.

I actually want to run one of these one day. I feel like I could do a good job.

But I will DQ you if you ask me too many questions.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I LOVE elitism.
*never gives you amiibo tips ever again*

I actually want to run one of these one day. I feel like I could do a good job.

But I will DQ you if you ask me too many questions.
Do you know how many times people came up to ask "Has the bracket started/my match been called yet?" in the span of maybe 10 minutes I was helping? Being a TO means putting up with silly questions ALL DAY.

I would love to see a GrimTurtle tourney.

Last edited:

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
I would like to help assist tournaments as I see fit. Feel as all of us get older in the smash scene, we have to do our part and give back to the scene as well.

Kihrah

Smash Apprentice
What if bracket leaders were assigned for large tournaments and given 2-4 tvs to govern for the early rounds.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
*never gives you amiibo tips ever again*

Do you know how many times people came up to ask "Has the bracket started/my match been called yet?" in the span of maybe 10 minutes I was helping? Being a TO means putting up with silly questions ALL DAY.

I would love to see a GrimTurtle tourney.
Wait, don't be irrational. I NEED them.

HENCE THE DQs! I was there lol. Like f man. Check Challonge pls.

Someone setup a tournament for me and I'll run it. Finish by 9 pm is my goal.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
What if bracket leaders were assigned for large tournaments and given 2-4 tvs to govern for the early rounds.
That and possibly have matches queued on each setup, so when one match is done the next match queued is immediately playing afterwards. Allows constant flow of matches. The "bracket leaders" could update the bracket via their phone, if they are given admin rights to set who won or lost in the match.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Here's one for DQs

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
That could definitely work, but it requires a fair amount of volunteers to work. Though, I'm pretty sure one person could handle more than 4 set-ups though, if they actually stick to it full-time.

Pokemon does large tourney by flights (sub brackets that lead up to a final top 8/16, not pools, top 2 from each flight can enter final bracket assuming there are 4 flights) and you could have some assistants help run each flight. They do Swiss most of the time, but I think it can apply to brackets too. It also make seeding much easier when you know Megafox has no possibility to fight Trela early if they aren't even in the same flight and so on.

That's a bit complicated though, but possible.

EDIT: NM loser bracket complicates this too much

Last edited:

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
For bigger tournaments, there should be some volunteers to help the TOs if possible. I know we have Allan, Alex, and Devin doing majority of the TO workload, but volunteers could help as well.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
See, while bracket leaders for TVs isn't a bad idea, it can be solved by just using TIO. Can't wrap my head around stupid Challonge not having TV usage.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
See, while bracket leaders for TVs isn't a bad idea, it can be solved by just using TIO. Can't wrap my head around stupid Challonge not having TV usage.
Oversight.

Designing a program isn't easy, because you're bound to miss something obvious or forget some logic. Take it from someone who works in IT.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
I don't mind volunteering. I spend 90% of my time at the tournament doing nothing and walking around.

Plus you need somebody to talk with the many first time tourney goers, to advise on any rules questions and to encourage them to participate in future tournaments.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It's a trap, we all know it's a ploy to get new gens to ask about Hobo 12.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Most people just want to play. Almost no one is going to camp the livestream setup. Once you call them up front, let them know they will both be DQed in 25 minutes if they dont return (enough time for a triple timeout).

♫ Zura ♫

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KatsuraRapYo
3DS FC
4914-3426-2583
So my smashbros soundtrack CD came in (:
Mewtwo and miiverse stage almost here (:?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I have not received mine. I am sad.

Mewtwo won't be out until April at earliest. You can still register for it I think.

Last edited:

Incendiary

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sh0rtfuse
Idk if anyone else actually noticed how bad things were going at during winners rounds 2-3-4. I was taking naps maybe 10-15 minutes at a time. Everytime I woke up I look over to my right to find at least 5-8 open set ups. This happened in a span of like 45 minutes. I also didn't hear too many matches being called. Maybe something overwhelming was going on at the time? I can definitely tell that if you want to run these events (at that size) you're going to need ALOT more help. To be fair I probably should've expressed these concerns at the tournament but at that point I was just tired/didn't want to be a bother

Oni•n

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Onion546714
3DS FC
5129-2796-7326
Idk if anyone else actually noticed how bad things were going at during winners rounds 2-3-4. I was taking naps maybe 10-15 minutes at a time. Everytime I woke up I look over to my right to find at least 5-8 open set ups. This happened in a span of like 45 minutes. I also didn't hear too many matches being called. Maybe something overwhelming was going on at the time? I can definitely tell that if you want to run these events (at that size) you're going to need ALOT more help. To be fair I probably should've expressed these concerns at the tournament but at that point I was just tired/didn't want to be a bother
Lol. That sucks. Looks like I failed you old man! Sorry about that. I'll do better next time! Promise!

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Ruby on my first Pink Rathian.

Good luck never dies.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
If only you guys actually KNEW what was going on.

The misinformation and entitlement I'm seeing is ridiculous

Teshie U

Smash Lord
If only you guys actually KNEW what was going on.

The misinformation and entitlement I'm seeing is ridiculous
Last time you had a tournament run late, you said people don't bring setup. This time people brought you more setups than you could fit in the venue (over 30) and they were not being used even though you had 50+ matches available to be played.

We aren't trying to be mean or entitled. As you saw we would all like to help the process become more fluid and enjoyable for everyone. What you were doing is a massive amount of work for 1 person so I think its important to accept help in every form it can be given.

That includes feedback and being more transparent with the issues you are facing. Don't just tell people with a grievance "you don't understand/know anything". Tell us what and why and we can try to solve it together.

Top Bottom